WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Spalea - 03-09-2019

@Shadow :

About #1579: at 0mn56 he says that the tiger fails. BTW I only wanted to show the variety of the first opinions about this tiger' body and look according to each of us (cub, subadult, very strong tiger...).

RE: Tiger Predation - Shadow - 03-09-2019

(03-09-2019, 03:38 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

About #1579: at 0mn56 he says that the tiger fails. BTW I only wanted to show the variety of the first opinions about this tiger' body and look according to each of us (cub, subadult, very strong tiger...).

Yes in this posting he was quite ok. That specific poster just is posting a lot of modified videos and headlines are sometimes quite odd :) But of course videos, when not edited too much are interesting to see many times.

RE: Tiger Predation - paul cooper - 03-10-2019

(03-09-2019, 01:49 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:49 PM)Spalea Wrote: About #1579: this video commented by our chinese colleague...

Surprisingly he didn´t say, that the tiger failed on purpose :) Based on his recent videos he is losing any remains of objectivity fast if there ever was any.

Which recent videos? Just because he made a mistake like nobody ever does that? I have seen what he says in his videos and he is honest about them, he is pretty smart. He also isnt chinese.

RE: Tiger Predation - Shadow - 03-10-2019

(03-10-2019, 04:05 AM)paul cooper Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 01:49 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:49 PM)Spalea Wrote: About #1579: this video commented by our chinese colleague...

Surprisingly he didn´t say, that the tiger failed on purpose :) Based on his recent videos he is losing any remains of objectivity fast if there ever was any.

Which recent videos? Just because he made a mistake like nobody ever does that? I have seen what he says in his videos and he is honest about them, he is pretty smart. He also isnt chinese.

I haven´t made a list, he is not that interesting for me. But sometimes he makes me smile with his comments Wink I guess, that pretty young guy, so understandable.

RE: Tiger Predation - Sanju - 03-11-2019

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-12-2019

Lisa Antell
Patiha female with her Blue Bull carcass just before she dragged it off into a dense thicket to feed on! This older tigress was seen a short while after with 3 tiny new cubbies! She brought them back to the carcass later on that day. 

March 2019

Bandhavgarh

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-13-2019

Ajay Nikode
Today morrning junona buffer

Tigress Lara draging wild boar kill 

RE: Tiger Predation - Sanju - 03-15-2019

Sariska Male with Bull.

"Male tigers weight about 150-250 kilos. More than 70% of their body is muscle and they are extremely powerful. A full grown male cow (Bull) is about 800-1000 kilos. The tiger can bring down a cow this size effortlessly. Bringing down is easy, and they are known to drag them for miles sometimes very easily." (Don't quote, insta post description)

This male brought down this cow which strayed into the forest, gorged about 30 kilos in a sitting and lazed around. Sariska TR.

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 03-15-2019

Amit Sharma‎ -When hunger strikes. 
Tiger with Gaur kill. 
Kanha National Park

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-16-2019

Shripad Wagh
"The cat and the prey..

Ones death is another's life..

Hunt to eat not for sport.."

Tigress Collerwalli with prey!

Umred Karhandla Wildlife Sanctuary,
#Mar2019

RE: Tiger Predation - smedz - 03-16-2019

(01-30-2019, 11:13 AM)Sanju Wrote:

Tiger Chasing Spotted Deer Fawn, Most interesting thing is, the male tiger was guarding the dead Gaur from other animals and birds and in the event it surprised everyone by chasing the fawn. In the end, fawn survived and was enjoying with the mother. Tiger returned back to the dead Gaur.

Picture From @kiran.nagendra 

Nagarahole, Karnataka

This is a post made to show the complex nature of animal emotions. The small fawn lives!.

Read below to find out why.
This photo is from Pawan Menon. This tiger did not eat this animal.
Most of the time when predators befriend one of these prey animals it is because they have had physiological issues, for example a lion getting thrown out of a pride might cause them to want companionship and might cause them to befriend a prey animal.

The second reason might be that curiosity kicks in. Even though they are big cats, they can display curiosity and start to play with prey animals.

The third is the most interesting. This tigress is pregnant. She not only has hormones running through her but she also has maternal instincts. Because of these maternal instincts she let this animal live. This prey animal is just a baby and must have made her feel compassion as though the prey animal was hers or she wanted to get practice holding young before her litter arrived.
This tiger also picked up this deer and started to walk with the deer in her mouth. Because this tiger was pregnant she was learning how to handle her cub by practicing on this deer.
What are your thoughts??

Credits to @shizzyswildcatrescue

@Sanju, is is great, more proof that animals do have emotions like humans do.

RE: Tiger Predation - smedz - 03-16-2019

TIGERS AND RHINOS  

When one thinks of the tigers hunting, one thinks of them hunting deer, wild boar, peafowl, buffalo, gaurs, and even bears. But if you were to tell someone that tigers kill fully grown rhinos, odds are, they will not believe you, and you won't have any credibility with them at all. However, I do have a rule when it comes to cats. NEVER underestimate the abilities of a feline. For example, one would think that a Eurasian Lynx stands no chance against a wolf, but scientists have confirmed that adult lynxes can and do hold their own against wolves one on one. So one shouldn't underestimate a feline. However, for those who don't believe in the accounts of tigers killing rhinos, we cannot blame them because lets face it, the idea of a tiger mauling a fully grown rhino alone sounds far fetched, and waiting for video evidence is a very reasonable thing to do. Me though, I do believe these accounts because the eyewitnesses are very reliable, and have no reason to make this stuff up. Also, a tiger can take down an animal up to 5 times it's own weight, and the tigers in the places where the accounts take place, the tigers can be huge, with the tigers from Kaziranga being some of the biggest wild tigers. But how do they manage to accomplish such a feat?  

Here's one way they could do it. I had a private conversation with @parvez on this subject, and he has spoken to onfield researchers on this topic. Apparently, tigers will leap onto the backs of large prey like that, bite the back of the neck, break the neck or the cervical vertabrae, and when that occurs, the tiger can kill the animal in less than 5 minutes. This is amazing, the skin of the Indian Rhinoceros (Rhinoceros unicornis) is up to 3 inches thick. So to be able to pierce through that skin, and to break the neck, means that these tigers must have incredible bite forces. 

Another possible way they can pull this off, is to use those strong jaws and claws to inflict some serious damage to the rhino, @Pckts has posted some photos of some rhinos with injuries that show what a tiger can do to a rhino with one slap on this thread. So I can picture a tiger making serious wounds on the rhino, failing to bring it down, but it knows the rhino is badly injured, so it follows the rhino for quite some time, waits for it to become weak from loss of blood, and eventually, it collapses, and the tiger either waits for it to die, or it finishes it off, but either way, it has a big meal. 

For this feat, I can only see the biggest male tigers doing this, as rhinos are huge animals, and I just don't see a tigress on her own accomplishing this feat. However, tigers have been reported to hunt in groups, so I can also see a huge male tiger along with his girlfriend and adoloescent cubs hunting a sick, old, or injured rhino. 

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 03-17-2019

shit camera work as usual .-_-.. vid by Hemraj Meena‎ 

RE: Tiger Predation - Lycaon - 03-18-2019

Pranay Patel

Flying tiger!

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 03-28-2019

Subadult tigress Waali and male sloth bear interaction.