WildFact
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Captive & Domesticated Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-captive-domesticated-animals)
+--- Thread: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity (/topic-zoos-circuses-safaris-a-gallery-of-captivity)

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Shadow - 03-01-2019

(03-01-2019, 08:55 PM)Sanju Wrote: @Shadow 
(03-01-2019, 08:45 PM)Shadow Wrote: For instance that video I shared, that tiger didn´t jump 10 feet if we measure height of hind legs, When it got that meat, head was maybe 11-12 feet from the ground.

whatever, all those measurements are to the head.
(03-01-2019, 08:45 PM)Shadow Wrote: So when someone writes like 20 feet, it sounds pretty much compared to some videos, where we have seen jumping tigers. 
Videos of all those incidents can't be recorded at that moment and even recorded are not available for everyone.

So believing in the sources or not depends on your opinion. Like

Yes, my personal opinion is, that 20 feet is exaggeration. If someone someday proves that wrong, another thing.
But 20 feet would demand, that hind legs would be 10 feet off the ground and I simply don´t believe that it is possible for a tiger unless it learns to use a jetpack Wink

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Sanju - 03-03-2019

Stop the misguided and cruel tug-of-war game with animals.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Sanju - 03-07-2019

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Rishi - 03-07-2019

(03-03-2019, 05:07 PM)Sanju Wrote:

Instead of spending a sit-shit-stroll-sleep life like in our zoo, they are letting their animals enrichment & exercise... that they'd get naturally in the wild. It's actually good for their mental/physical well-being.

And how on earth is it cruelty? They aren't forcing the lion into something it doesn't enjoy. Those idiots in the comments are the misguided ones!

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Sanju - 03-07-2019

(03-07-2019, 10:51 AM)Rishi Wrote: Instead of spending a sit-shit-stroll-sleep life like in our zoo, they are letting their animals enrichment & exercise... that they'd get naturally in the wild. It's actually good for their mental/physical well-being.

Yeah, I feel very bad to visit our Zoos, in which animals lives are miserable. When we compare it to foreign countries (developed). See how they train or more likely "exercise" their body as well as their mental condition by using different methods like giving a companion like a hound dog when another cheetah not available or same to rhino's where sheep are companion etc..,(Cheetah is the dog of cat family- Physically speaking).

*This image is copyright of its original author

Example: San Diego Zoo

Comparison to our zoo (Nehru Zoological garden- Hyd)

They get mental syndromes due to stress. Poor lives...

(03-07-2019, 10:51 AM)Rishi Wrote: And how on earth is it cruelty? They aren't forcing the lion into something it doesn't enjoy. Those idiots in the comments are the misguided ones!
Those people should pay a visit to our Indian Zoos... Grin

Temple elephants lives are even sorrowful.

Skip the video to 1:09 with mental syndromes, similar are bears and other circus animals if they are kept in poor conditions like small enclosures, inadequate food and abusing etc..,

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Sanju - 03-08-2019

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - smedz - 03-09-2019

For the future, I've set my sights on the Cinninati Zoo, due to their big contributions to conservation. I'll post videos from their YouTube channel.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - paul cooper - 03-09-2019

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Apollo - 03-10-2019

(03-03-2019, 05:07 PM)Sanju Wrote:

IMHO I dont find this to be any cruel.
Actually the lion seems to like it. The animal is not forced to do anything here.
It seems to be a good exercise.
The lion is in very good shape and size.
I feel these kind of playful challenge activities are good for captive animals.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Sanju - 03-10-2019

(03-10-2019, 10:20 AM)Apollo Wrote: IMHO I dont find this to be any cruel.
Actually the lion seems to like it. The animal is not forced to do anything here.
It seems to be a good exercise.
The lion is in very good shape and size.
I feel these kind of playful challenge activities are good for captive animals.
Haha, I Know.

Those are not my words, it is that Insta Post description not mine.  Like

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Lycaon - 03-11-2019

Some impressive captive senegal lions

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Spalea - 03-11-2019

@Lycaon :

About #1483: it's the first time I see so maned Senegal lions (the lion called "Colonel Matafa" particulaly) and we are still in Africa ! Thus this difference is due to the captive life... Feeding (more greasy food than in life...) ?

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Lycaon - 03-11-2019

@Spalea 

I do believe it is due to getting more food. As the older drawings showed them with larger manes than today. They probably get good meats. Another reason why i think wild west african lions do not grow large manes is due to heavy historical persecution and continued hunting.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - johnny rex - 03-12-2019

(03-11-2019, 05:36 PM)Lycaon Wrote: Some impressive captive senegal lions

West African lions are smaller compared to other specimens of African lions, look at the size comparison between the keeper and the lion.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris; A Gallery of Captivity - Rishi - 03-12-2019

The absentminded philosopher... Stuttgart zoo, Germany.