WildFact
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Captive & Domesticated Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-captive-domesticated-animals)
+--- Thread: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity (/topic-zoos-circuses-safaris-a-gallery-of-captivity)

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Amnon242 - 08-31-2018

kruger, bengal, amur (not my photo)

amur, dont know if its male or female (not my photo)

5,5 yo...well over 250 kg (not my photo)

kruger

african (probably east african)...pitbull like creature, but rather small - 160-170 kg (my estimate)

My photo. Kruger and tigress snarling at each other

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Rage2277 - 09-03-2018

*This image is copyright of its original author
bengal

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Rishi - 09-07-2018

@peter By the total absence of belly-mane it seems like a first generation in Europe. Do you have any details on him?

Edit: This source confirmed that he's from Singapore night-safari.

Old asiatic lion Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo, Rotterdam

©Tim Hulsen

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - peter - 09-10-2018

RISHI

Unfortunately, I have nothing on the old Blijdorp Zoo lion. I do know that quite a few European zoos have Asiatic lions.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - chaos - 09-10-2018

(09-07-2018, 07:28 PM)Rishi Wrote: @peter By the total absence of belly-mane it seems like a first generation in Europe. Do you have any details on him?

Edit: This source confirmed that he's from Singapore night-safari.

Old asiatic lion Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo, Rotterdam

©Tim Hulsen

An old-timer for sure

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Rage2277 - 09-11-2018

proper asiatic lioness in london zoo

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Spalea - 09-11-2018

About #1310: I believe that the Zurich zoo is famous as concerns its Indian lions...

video from Peter Bolliger:

And this last one from Reto Kurmann.

RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Smilodon-Rex - 09-20-2018

Asiatic Lion roaring in Gujarat

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Nyers - 09-22-2018

Marjan last lion of Afganistan

He was the last Afghanistan's lion, Marjan. Born in 1976, he was sent to Kabul in 1978, as a gift from Germany. At the end of soviet occupation, in 1989, Afghanistan entered a period of civil war that lasted until 1992. Kabul plunged into chaos. Its zoo was in the middle of battlefield. It was bombed several times and lost its nursing station. In 1995, a soldier entered lion enclosure to show his bravery, and stroke Chucha, Marjan's lioness. Starving, Marjan attacked and killed him. The following day soldier's brother threw a grenade at lion's face. Marjan lost his sight, his hearing and a part of his jaw. The soldier's brother was murdered a week later.
In 1996, Taliban invaded Kabul and left the zoo abandoned. The zoo's employees who no longer received a salary begged for money to feed the animals. But many of animals died and some were even killed and eaten by starving population. Twenty-six years earlier, the zoo was home to 417 animals. But in 1998, only 19 were still alive, including the lions. People regularly threw stones at them.
When the Americans took over Kabul in November 2001, after six weeks of bombing, Marjan was Afghanistan's last lion. That's when the world discovered his story. He received veterinary care for the first time in years. Unfortunately he died several weeks later, in January 2002. Turned into a symbol of Kabul's suffering, a memorial was created in his honor inside the zoo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjan_(lion)

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Spalea - 09-23-2018

@Nyers : I remember having read the Marjan's story after its death.Deeply moving...

But what about the animals in the zoos in Irak when the american soldiers invaded the country ? Marjan became a symbol after the russian army departure. Are there other animals becoming famous in other destroyed countries ?