WildFact
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Captive & Domesticated Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-captive-domesticated-animals)
+--- Thread: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity (/topic-zoos-circuses-safaris-a-gallery-of-captivity)

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Blackleopard - 09-10-2016

(09-09-2016, 02:38 PM)Betty Wrote:
(09-09-2016, 04:16 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: @Betty

令人印象深刻的大小。哪里是来自哪里?我猜至少有600磅。

Big Cat Habitat and Gulf Coast Sanctuary

That's the same trainer Clayton Rosaire with the huge lion. Apparently from this video clip, he says the lion is well over 750lbs, and later in part two of the video, he thinks it could be of Barbary decent. Which would be interesting, as it is a huge lion, the belly mane is pretty evident.  I also doubt that lion Asland is the biggest lion in Europe at 570.  There is a lot of European circuses with huge lions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=244T3LMnPYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDBQvONLdg8

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Pckts - 09-10-2016

There is a huge difference between "alleged" and "verified"

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Amnon242 - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 12:27 AM)Blackleopard Wrote:

That's the same trainer Clayton Rosaire with the huge lion. Apparently from this video clip, he says the lion is well over 750lbs, and later in part two of the video, he thinks it could be of Barbary decent. Which would be interesting, as it is a huge lion, the belly mane is pretty evident.  I also doubt that lion Asland is the biggest lion in Europe at 570.  There is a lot of European circuses with huge lions.  

Get real...570 lbs felid is a monster. Btw I have a book about one czechoslovakian circus...in the book they talk about their 350 kg tigers....its good to have some critical thinking and not to belive everything someone says...

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Blackleopard - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 01:02 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 12:27 AM)Blackleopard Wrote:

Get real...570 lbs felid is a monster. Btw I have a book about one czechoslovakian circus...in the book they talk about their 350 kg tigers....its good to have some critical thinking and not to believe everything someone says...

What do you mean get real, do think a lion can't top 570 in the entire continent of Europe?  I never said 570 wasn't big, I said I doubt its the biggest.  I personally seen a white lion over 600 lbs.  The 350 lb tigers you're talking about were probably young tigers used in the circus, as the younger animals are safer to work with.  There are plenty of huge Siberians used in Europe far bigger than that.

(09-10-2016, 01:26 AM)Blackleopard Wrote: What do you mean get real, do think a lion can't top 570 in the entire continent of Europe?  I never said 570 wasn't big, I said I doubt its the biggest.  I personally seen a white lion over 600 lbs.  The 350 lb tigers you're talking about were probably young tigers used in the circus, as the younger animals are safer to work with.  There are plenty of huge Siberians used in Europe far bigger than that.

Im talking about 350 kg (770 lbs) tigers, not 350 lbs tigers.

570 lbs lion is the biggest or definitely one of the biggest lions in Europe.

The trainer says that the lion is well over 750 lbs and the tiger is 650 lbs. These estimates are certainly exaggerated. Nothing unusual in the world of trainers and private breeders.

You have to realize that big cats are not as heavy as you think. Average non obese captive lion can be around 180 kg (400 lbs) and captive non obese amur tiger around 210 kg (460 lbs).

But once again: even these average felids are very impressive. I remember when I saw male lion in his prime (I was standing 1 meter before him) and I estimated him to be certainly over 200 kg, possibly even 250 kg. In fact the lion was slightly under 180 kg.

(09-10-2016, 02:04 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 01:26 AM)Blackleopard Wrote: What do you mean get real, do think a lion can't top 570 in the entire continent of Europe?  I never said 570 wasn't big, I said I doubt its the biggest.  I personally seen a white lion over 600 lbs.  The 350 lb tigers you're talking about were probably young tigers used in the circus, as the younger animals are safer to work with.  There are plenty of huge Siberians used in Europe far bigger than that.

Im talking about 350 kg (770 lbs) tigers, not 350 lbs tigers.

570 lbs lion is the biggest or definitely one of the biggest lions in Europe.

The trainer says that the lion is well over 750 lbs and the tiger is 650 lbs. These estimates are certainly exaggerated. Nothing unusual in the world of trainers and private breeders.

You have to realize that big cats are not as heavy as you think. Average non obese captive lion can be around 180 kg (400 lbs) and captive non obese amur tiger around 210 kg (460 lbs).

But once again: even these average felids are very impressive. I remember when I saw male lion in his prime (I was standing 1 meter before him) and I estimated him to be certainly over 200 kg, possibly even 250 kg. In fact the lion was slightly under 180 kg.

570 would not be the biggest lion in the whole continent of Europe, there's been plenty of lions bigger than that in the U.S. 

There are quite a few circuses in Europe, and it also can depend on the breeds, the white lions or Timbavati's get very big, very long as well, Siberian size caliber. 

This guy Manuel Farina also has some particular strong very thick maned lions, pretty formidable looking.  They look bigger or I should say heavier than the tigers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTc24FE0IaA

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - GrizzlyClaws - 09-10-2016

@Blackleopard

Here is an intuitive image to answer your question about the canine teeth.

Showing a picture of lions in the circus doesn't back your claim, there are big lions and small lions, same as tigers. I can easily show the same with either big cat, the fact remains that no lion or tiger is going to be much larger than aslan, that is very close to the max of either species and posting a video that you estimate will not take away the fact that aslan is verified and not speculated. Maybe there is a larger lion in Europe, but it would most likely be an obese individual. Do yourself a favor and look through this entire thread, take notice of all the verified weights from the vets.

Do you have the thread link to the verified captive weights of tigers and lions?  I realize that a 570 lb cat is is on the larger size, and many of the largest siberians that are not obese generally top out around 600.  But the statement is that the lion Asland is the heaviest lion in Europe, my point is based on what?  He would not be the heaviest lion in the United States, why would he be the heaviest in Europe?  Asland is simply a lion who happened to outweigh a tiger of similar size, which is what I was wondering.

As for the canines, you can't just show a picture of one sample, there would have to be many samples compared for thickness and length.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - GrizzlyClaws - 09-10-2016

@Blackleopard

There are many more samples in this thread.

Tigers are canine freaks, even those lesser subspecies such as Chinese/Indochinese/Sumatran can comfortably rival lion in the canine size, let alone Amur/Bengal.

http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-big-cat-s-canines-and-claws

How do you know he wouldn't be the heaviest lion in the US as well?

There are verified captive cats posted if you search a bit.

And what do you mean by "similar size?"
All lions and tigers are "similar size" that certainly doesn't mean they are the same size. Like I stated earlier, @Pantherinae volunteered there, he has discussed aslan, the Siberian brothers and so on. If you scroll through this thread I think he even posted about it here.

I also get the feeling that you're interpreting me speaking about aslan as a freak as if I am saying a lion has to be a freak to be larger than a tiger, that certainly isn't the case.

Photos can ve very misleading. People have tendency to overestimate lions...(see the post of Apollo).

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - tigerluver - 09-10-2016

I took some lions (n = 37, mostly from Guate's collections I believe) and some Bengal tiger (most, if not all from Cooch Behar and n = 51) and found the chest to weight density (kg of animal/cm^3 of chest girth) value to be no different between the tiger and the lion. Lions had a value 1.08e-4 kg/cm^3 and tigers 1.07e-4,kg/cm^3 which when t-tested assuming unequal variances showed that the two means are not significantly different. In other words, lions and tigers of the same weight will have the same chest girth.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris... A Gallery of Captivity - Betty - 09-10-2016

Clayton Rosaire with the lion Handsome

That pic of Handsome of the lion is when he was younger, he wasn't full grown yet, which is why the mane isn't as large as what you see in later pics.

I was looking for the thread on here on captive weights, I couldn't find it, do you guys have a link for it.  Are you guys saying that captive lion or tigers can't exceed 570, I guess that's my question.  I suppose if their neutered that changes things, but I  guess you couldn't count that.

So perhaps then this tiger Jaipur doesn't weigh 1,000lbs maybe its exaggerated not confirmed.