WildFact
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Captive & Domesticated Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-captive-domesticated-animals)
+--- Thread: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity (/topic-zoos-circuses-safaris-a-gallery-of-captivity)

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Hello - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 03:14 PM)Gkumar Wrote: Does anybody know what type of lions are these? they have a short face, shorter in body height and length.

maybe southwest african,barbary or east african

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - johnny rex - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 03:58 PM)Hello Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 03:14 PM)Gkumar Wrote: Does anybody know what type of lions are these? they have a short face, shorter in body height and length.

Do you know Aslan is an East African lion, according to @Pantherinae if I remember correctly. He is a Masai lion and he is too big for an East African lion.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Dark Jaguar - 02-21-2020

Xavante jealous of Pantera.

[/video]

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Pckts - 02-21-2020

(02-16-2020, 04:13 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

Do you know Aslan is an East African lion, according to @Pantherinae if I remember correctly. He is a Masai lion and he is too big for an East African lion.

Masai Mara is East Africa and possibly the largest Lions on Earth *Crater Lions* live in East Africa as well.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Pantherinae - 02-21-2020

(02-16-2020, 04:13 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

His grandfather is from Kenya. East Africa has monster lions, biggest lion I have seen where from Masai Mara, East Africa. Carter lions are thought by many to be the biggest wild lions, they are also from East Africa.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - johnny rex - 02-21-2020

Can those giant East African lions match or even exceed the size of the South African lion skulls? If I remember correctly, the biggest South African lions are bigger than the biggest East African lions. Even comparing the average South African lions to East African lions, the Southern specimens always have much bigger frame (including skull size) than the East African specimens.

(02-21-2020, 11:11 AM)johnny rex Wrote: Can those giant East African lions match or even exceed the size of the South African lion skulls? If I remember correctly, the biggest South African lions are bigger than the biggest East African lions. Even comparing the average South African lions to East African lions, the Southern specimens always have much bigger frame (including skull size) than the East African specimens.

East Africa is a massive place with most of the territory not permitted for hunting.
To my knowledge there are no measurements from the Crater other than a chest girth estimated to be 10% larger than any others known to Packer.
Seeing the crater first hand, I know that there are many factors that contribute to larger animals.

Obviously this isn't the entire list but heres some E. And S. Lions to compare

*This image is copyright of its original author

And another here from a book I have of a Large Lion that would also be atop that list.

But I'd imagine the reserves like the Serengeti and Selous should produce large Lions since their prey densisty is unmatched and an extension of that is the Crater in the Ngorongoro conservation area which has its year round buffalo, wildebeest and zebra herds, cooler temps and nutrient rich volcanic soil that also produces/attracts the largest Elephants and Buffalo I saw. The lions there also have the largest Manes you'll see which usually will cover their shoulders as well.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Spalea - 02-22-2020

Kevin Richardson: " This week’s video is a bit of a different format. We’ve filmed a day of moving lions in time-warp mode! The actual time it took to do all that moving was between 5-6 hours, however it wouldn’t matter if it took a few days to move all these guys around. The enrichment they get from the change of environment keeps them mentally fit, stimulated and happy. "

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Amnon242 - 02-22-2020

Subadult amur male (not my photo)

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Amnon242 - 02-22-2020

Amur (my photo)

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Rage2277 - 02-22-2020

Tosh A

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Hello - 02-23-2020

Very tall,lean and not robust,typical Kruger lion

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Lycaon - 02-25-2020

This tiger in the baku zoo looks a lot like a caspian . 

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Hello - 02-26-2020

(01-05-2020, 10:51 AM)Rage2277 Wrote:

big boy not a bad looking captive bengal

@Rage2277 Are you sure that he is a pure bengal considering there are no bengals outside India except for pakistan and nepal