WildFact
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Captive & Domesticated Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-captive-domesticated-animals)
+--- Thread: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity (/topic-zoos-circuses-safaris-a-gallery-of-captivity)

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Pckts - 09-25-2019

(09-25-2019, 04:59 PM)Hello Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 04:48 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 12:22 PM)Hello Wrote: Size difference between Aslan (255-260) kg and his step brother Aragon (180 kg) at 17:18

I dont see anything close to a 70kg difference between the two.
I see it in the thickness and They must be of same frame size.
Aslan is much more dense compared to Aragon and may be few inches taller at the shoulder
Not really, shoulder height could be an inch, body length looks the same and body robustness is similar. 
When you see a cat with a 70kg difference, the smaller one is completely outgunned.
For instance, the smaller Tiger in the video below weighed 193kg and had large shoulder and body length proportions and while Umarpani hasn't been weighed and he's a very large Tiger, it's still unlikely that he's more than 275kg. But you can easily see the size difference between the 2, Aslan and his brother dont show near that size difference.

Another good example to look at would be BJWT if you're familiar with them?
In his big pride he has a white Lion named Ali who is the largest in frame and another Tawny named Han who is smaller in frame but larger in robustness, both weigh almost identical to one another. If one were to be 70kg more than the other than they'd show a huge difference visually as well.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Hello - 09-25-2019

(09-25-2019, 05:15 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 04:59 PM)Hello Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 04:48 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 12:22 PM)Hello Wrote: Size difference between Aslan (255-260) kg and his step brother Aragon (180 kg) at 17:18

I dont see anything close to a 70kg difference between the two.
I see it in the thickness and They must be of same frame size.
Aslan is much more dense compared to Aragon and may be few inches taller at the shoulder
Not really, shoulder height could be an inch, body length looks the same and body robustness is similar. 
When you see a cat with a 70kg difference, the smaller one is completely outgunned.
For instance, the smaller Tiger in the video below weighed 193kg and had large shoulder and body length proportions and while Umarpani hasn't been weighed and he's a very large Tiger, it's still unlikely that he's more than 275kg. But you can easily see the size difference between the 2, Aslan and his brother dont show near that size difference.

So Aragon weighs more than 180 kg and Aslan was weighted 255-260 kg according to @Pantherinae

I Know lions Luke,Han,ali from BJWT who are 220 kg+.I am not sure and don't remember the digits correctly.They regularly weigh them.They have also got a siberian more than 220+but
he didn't had the look of a siberian.He somewhat looked mixed according to stripe pattern.

(09-25-2019, 05:25 PM)Hello Wrote: I Know lions Luke,Han,ali from BJWT who are 220 kg+.I am not sure and don't remember the digits correctly.They regularly weigh them.They have also got a siberian more than 220+but
he didn't had the look of a siberian.He somewhat looked mixed according to stripe pattern.

Correct, Alcyone is most likely a mix like all n. American Tigers.

Ali and Han Together

I'd definitely guess that the brother of Aslan shown in that video couldn't be more than 20-30kg less than Aslan, there's also a video of them weighing a 200kg Amur Tiger in the same facility as well just for comparison. 
I can find the video once I'm at work.

You maybe referring to this video.The siberian is 11 in this video,He might have lost few kgs as big cats tend to loss mass after 10 years old.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - johnny rex - 09-25-2019

What do you guys think what subspecies of African lion do Han, Luke and Illanga belong to? They have much smaller skull and shorter stature compare to Ali which is an obvious white Kruger (Southern African) lion, although they look very robust.

I am not sure of the subspecies.They have east african look.Kruger types have usually have larger body frame and skull.

They have another Lion there named Jimbo who's larger than Ali and any other cat there and he's Tawny. But S. African Lions do seem larger framed in captivity but usually lighter in robustness. When S. African Tawny and White live together like with Kevin Richardson they are the same size, so color isn't necessarily a determining factor.

There's a different video of both Aslan and the Amur being weighed one ofter the other, I'll try and find it later today if possible.

(09-25-2019, 05:58 PM)Pckts Wrote: They have another Lion there named Jimbo who's larger than Ali and any other cat there and he's Tawny. But S. African Lions do seem larger framed in captivity but usually lighter in robustness. When S. African Tawny and White live together like with Kevin Richardson they are the same size, so color isn't necessarily a determining factor.

There's a different video of both Aslan and the Amur being weighed one ofter the other, I'll try and find it later today if possible.

I know about Jimbo too. He looks like a Southern African subspecies lion just like Ali. Look at this video that shows Jimbo before he died. https://www.facebook.com/jaguarandtiger/videos/312907939363137/?video_source=permalink

(09-25-2019, 05:47 PM)Hello Wrote: I am not sure of the subspecies.They have east african look.Kruger types have usually have larger body frame and skull.

They actually look like Northern African subspecies of lion for me though, because their skulls are small and shortish.

Kevin's Lionesses look Large in frame,They are south African IMO S.African lions have larger dimension compared to other Lion subspecies like Ranthambore tigers.Those tigers are like S African Lions of tiger world.I mean they are very tall at shoulders and lean with a tucked up belly.

Some larger frame sized lionesses.The sanctuary lions,tigers,bears once used to include weights on their official site ,I remember 470-480 lbs.There's a male named Bakari Impressive in weight at 550 lbs but same frame size that of those lionesses.

*This image is copyright of its original author

You maybe right,I am not 100 percent about their subspecies but one thing is sure they are not S. African lions.They are very tall and lean

(09-25-2019, 07:03 PM)Hello Wrote: You maybe right,I am not 100 percent about their subspecies but one thing is sure they are not S. African lions.They are very tall and lean

Yeah Han, Luke and Illanga are much shorter than Ali too but tend to be more robust.

(09-25-2019, 07:01 PM)Hello Wrote: Kevin's Lionesses look Large in frame,They are south African IMO S.African lions have larger dimension compared to other Lion subspecies like Ranthambore tigers.Those tigers are like S African Lions of tiger world.I mean they are very tall at shoulders and lean with a tucked up belly.

Some larger frame sized lionesses.The sanctuary lions,tigers,bears once used to include weights on their official site ,I remember 470-480 lbs.There's a male named Bakari Impressive in weight at 550 lbs but same frame size that of those lionesses.

Ranthambore Tigers are no larger in frame than elsewhere, this has been confirmed by numerous people who've seen them and other Tigers from different parts of India. I've been to Lions, Tigers and Bears and fed one of their male lions and their young tiger who was confiscated from the Rapper, Tyga.
They definitely have a couple of huge Lioness and their Tigress there is large too just further off so I couldn't see her as well. I posted a video of their new male white tiger which was said to be 500lbs interacting with their 2 large lioness.  He was a shorter, squatty male but more dense than the lioness but I'd say they're close in size overall. They also have a white Lion there who's also large framed but thinner than their tawny like what you see elsewhere.
But I've yet to see a captive Lion or Tiger as large as the ones I've seen in the wild. Captive cats generally aren't as muscular *muscle definition* but they usually are more robust but in an unnatural sort of way, you can tell they need to drop some weight. The Lions I saw in Tanzania definitely seem taller than most Captive Lions and the male Tiger I saw in Kanha absolutely dwarfed any captive Tiger I've seen.

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - epaiva - 09-26-2019

Large American Crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) estimated 14 ft long
Credit to @gatorboys_chris