WildFact
Common rear hip wasting away condition - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Common rear hip wasting away condition (/topic-common-rear-hip-wasting-away-condition)

Common rear hip wasting away condition - BigLion39 - 09-30-2022

I know this was talked about a lot over the years but I ran across a post in FB and apparently by someone who is in the field. Heres what he said about that common problem of the rear hip just wasting away, some lions have a black patchy spot with no hair too. He was commenting on a pic of the Birmingham #7 sub unfortunately after his 6 bros left the area....

*This image is copyright of its original author

***If this is not in the correct area can a mod delete this thread and place this in the correct spot? Thanks!

RE: Common rear hip wasting away condition - Tr1x24 - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 12:47 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: I know this was talked about a lot over the years but I ran across a post in FB and apparently by someone who is in the field. Heres what he said about that common problem of the rear hip just wasting away, some lions have a black patchy spot with no hair too. He was commenting on a pic of the Birmingham #7 sub unfortunately after his 6 bros left the area....

Nice work. 

This "black patch" disease was discussed here numerous times, but nobody actually knew what it is, some think it has to do with TB some with another condition, but now we actually know that it is prob Babesiosis. 

Apparently there is few species of this disease, which might explain why some lions are little to no affected, some live long with it, and some die quickly.

RE: Common rear hip wasting away condition - 1ofCourage - 09-30-2022

Selenium deficiency is usually manifested by an increased incidence of susceptibility to infections among other things. A selenium deficiency also makes an animal appear skinny with less muscle and eventually leads to white muscle wasting disease. Selenium helps an animal digest glutathione, and the glutathione antioxidant, "the master antioxidant,"  is a tiny but powerful nutrient that is vital to an animal's cell health, liver function and immunity. Zinc deficiency is accompanied by a glutathione depletion. All of these minerals affect the immune system greatly and a lack thereof will make an animal sickly and cause it to waste away.
Warthog and iguana meat, as well as other reptiles,  are packed with some essential minerals such as zinc and seleniumAnother way to introduce critical minerals to an animal is by putting out salt licks.
I got this off the web, but I know they are wild animals, so it's up to them.

RE: Common rear hip wasting away condition - Tr1x24 - 04-01-2023

So, we are familiar with "black spot" disease on rear hip, but some males have it on front hips.

Lambile:

Bboy Tinyo:

Nkuhuma male:

Idk if this is the same disease as rare hip spot, or is unrelated, but prob it is related somehow.

Also as in rear spot case, it prob doesnt affect all males the same, as Lambile struggles with it from young age, while Bboy Tinyo was in peak condition at 10.

It might be genetic related, all this 3 males came from Birmingham bloodline.

Frst post in this thread says that black spot disease is prob some kind of babeosis bacteria disease, which was seen at 7th Birmingham breakaway male who was tested, so idk.

RE: Common rear hip wasting away condition - BA0701 - 04-01-2023

(04-01-2023, 09:32 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: So, we are familiar with "black spot" disease on rear hip, but some males have it on front hips.

Lambile:

Bboy Tinyo:

Nkuhuma male:

Idk if this is the same disease as rare hip spot, or is unrelated, but prob it is related somehow.

Also as in rear spot case, it prob doesnt affect all males the same, as Lambile struggles with it from young age, while Bboy Tinyo was in peak condition at 10.

It might be genetic related, all this 3 males came from Birmingham bloodline.

Frst post in this thread says that black spot disease is prob some kind of babeosis bacteria disease, which was seen at 7th Birmingham breakaway male who was tested, so idk.

I posted a video of S8, just a few days ago, he was sporting a new limp, and had a mark on his right shoulder identical to that of Lambile. In the video, the person speaking (possibly the guide), stated they believe it was from some sort of scuffle, likely from a hunt since he actively appeared to have something caught in his throat. Haven't seen much about him since, but in this case, I would say it would be one time I would be hoping for an injury from some conflict, as opposed to this sort of illness. He has way too many cubs, to have something happen at this point in time.

RE: Common rear hip wasting away condition - Timbavati - 04-01-2023

(09-30-2022, 12:47 PM)ElBigLion39 Wrote: I know this was talked about a lot over the years but I ran across a post in FB and apparently by someone who is in the field. Heres what he said about that common problem of the rear hip just wasting away, some lions have a black patchy spot with no hair too. He was commenting on a pic of the Birmingham #7 sub unfortunately after his 6 bros left the area....

***If this is not in the correct area can a mod delete this thread and place this in the correct spot? Thanks!

Tom Coetzee, a very good friend. He worked in Thornybush for 20 years. A truly expert when it comes to Thornybush lions and nearby areas.