WildFact
Shishangaan Male Lions - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Shishangaan Male Lions (/topic-shishangaan-male-lions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - sik94 - 11-05-2023

(11-04-2023, 11:26 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 10:41 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: They seem to be spending alot of time in that H6 corner of the territory and every update I've seen of them has been in that area for over a week now and mostly all together as well. Nsemani dam, for example is quite a ways away. In a straight line not a massive, massive distance away but still at least 10km. 

In all honesty I haven't kept up with territory gain and losses in the area, nor their first pride around Satara but if they're still holding all the gains they've made since I saw them in 2021, after a relatively slow start and only being around Satara they must be holding at least 100 Sq km in territory now. Does anyone know if the Satara pride still has the cubs from early last year, they should be around 18 months old now?

100 sq km? That is an enormous area, is that atypical to like sized coalitions?

MalaMala is apparently 133 squared kms, that makes sense as it has a 19km boundary with KNP. So over a 100 sq km sounds pretty typical for a duo with the current lion density in SS, the Shishangaans probably have atleast 250 sq km of territory as there are 4 of them and in a less lion dense area which probably leads to even bigger territories.

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - BA0701 - 11-05-2023

(11-05-2023, 12:30 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 11:26 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 10:41 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: They seem to be spending alot of time in that H6 corner of the territory and every update I've seen of them has been in that area for over a week now and mostly all together as well. Nsemani dam, for example is quite a ways away. In a straight line not a massive, massive distance away but still at least 10km. 

In all honesty I haven't kept up with territory gain and losses in the area, nor their first pride around Satara but if they're still holding all the gains they've made since I saw them in 2021, after a relatively slow start and only being around Satara they must be holding at least 100 Sq km in territory now. Does anyone know if the Satara pride still has the cubs from early last year, they should be around 18 months old now?

100 sq km? That is an enormous area, is that atypical to like sized coalitions?

MalaMala is apparently 133 squared kms, that makes sense as it has a 19km boundary with KNP. So over a 100 sq km sounds pretty typical for a duo with the current lion density in SS, the Shishangaans probably have atleast 250 sq km of territory as there are 4 of them and in a less lion dense area which probably leads to even bigger territories.

Thank you for that, my friend, it is hard to understand the full scale when looking at a map. What a monumental task that is to patrol and protect such a large area.

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Wyld@Heart - 11-05-2023

(11-04-2023, 11:26 PM)BA0701 Wrote: 100 sq km? That is an enormous area, is that atypical to like sized coalitions?

Should be about par for an area with a high prey density. Average pride territory, not males, is about 30 sq km and they (did) control the Nsemani pride and the Satara pride and looks like a pride further around and down the H6 (needs some clarification for this one, it must be said but the Satara pride doesn't normally venture down south but again, they have been seen there as territories overlap). Four male coalition controlling three (?) prides, probably just about right. I might be overestimating 100 sq km but with the distance between Nsemani to North of Satara to around 3km along the H6, not by much.

I hope the prides they control can raise some cubs to adulthood while under them and leave a lasting legacy.

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - BA0701 - 11-05-2023

(11-05-2023, 09:04 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 11:26 PM)BA0701 Wrote: 100 sq km? That is an enormous area, is that atypical to like sized coalitions?

Should be about par for an area with a high prey density. Average pride territory, not males, is about 30 sq km and they (did) control the Nsemani pride and the Satara pride and looks like a pride further around and down the H6 (needs some clarification for this one, it must be said but the Satara pride doesn't normally venture down south but again, they have been seen there as territories overlap). Four male coalition controlling three (?) prides, probably just about right. I might be overestimating 100 sq km but with the distance between Nsemani to North of Satara to around 3km along the H6, not by much.

I hope the prides they control can raise some cubs to adulthood while under them and leave a lasting legacy.

Thank you for that, my friend. I too would like to see them leave behind a lasting legacy, they have done really well to date.

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Wyld@Heart - 11-05-2023

(11-05-2023, 12:30 AM)sik94 Wrote: the Shishangaans probably have atleast 250 sq km of territory as there are 4 of them and in a less lion dense area
Agreed with you on the majority of that except this; the central region of the Kruger has some of the highest lion densities in the Greater Kruger. It is well known that if you want to see lions, Satara is the place to go. Unlikely they'll be controlling 250 sq km of territory in that Central region if we count the area immediately outside of Satara as their core territory, which it is. Territories certainly aren't linear, or perfect circles and they overlap alot but I'd estimate a 250 sq km territory with Satara itself in the centre to extend all the way to the S12 and encompassing the S40 past Nsemani dam in the West, to at least Shibotwana Waterhole halfway down the S100 and a long way down the H6 to the Shishangani waterhole in the east, down to and encompassing the Sweni Road (S126) in the south and all the way up to the S90 in the north.

Having said that, its not much too far off their terrotorial bounds but I still would go with about 100 sq km

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Brahim - 11-14-2023

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - afortich - 11-14-2023

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - afortich - 11-20-2023

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Spalea - 11-22-2023

Casper pride in trouble by 6 young lions coming into their territory of Satara...

"  The photo of the Mbiri male, is actually that of Mbiri Scar, Shaka's brother(Father's of the mighty Mayambulas). Only realized after the upload was done, that i swopped the images?, my bad ??. Peace❤️

The very special, rare and unique male lion, Casper of the Mighty Shishangaan coalition, seems to be in big trouble, along with his entire pride and legacy.

Three days ago, a young coalition of 6 males was spotted closing in on Casper's pride near Satara, and these males are moving fast. Fast, and on a definitive mission....

The Timbavati have had many famous lions throughout the years , and this coalition is a well known one. The Son's of Shaka Mbiri, the Icon of Central Kruger, has sired these mighty young males. And if they are anything like their father's and Uncle's, the Shishangaan legacy is in grave danger.....

Central kruger is place that many people go and visit, specifically to see the Ghost of the lebombo mountains, Casper. Home to Casper since he was born, will this give him the upper hand, knowing the territory better than any of those new lions approaching? Or will Casper stand and fight, alongside his brothers, Footloose and Mfuweto?

A male lion territory war is upon us, and this time, it might happen at any time now....and it won't be pretty....

The Shish lionesses have already stared these 6 young males in the eyes a couple of days ago, and they are on tenterhooks.  Will we lose Casper in this territory war? Or will he play clever and leave? Time will tell, but time is running out.....quickly..."

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Spalea - 11-24-2023

Last news about the Casper's pride, and Casper itself, situation:

" Casper, the white lion of the Kruger National Park, the Ghost of the lebombo mountains, has himself in a difficult situation....

After the appearance that the Mayambula male lions made in the Satara area, they scared some of the lionesses, and has the entire pride on high alert. This wasn't the first time the Mayambula males showed up on the Satara doorstep, where Casper and Shish males have their territory...

On the 12th of November, this year, was the first time the Mayambula's made an appearance in the Satara sector. Back then, they were fully kitted out as a 6 member coalition, leaving no one behind. This time, there was only five of them. Is it a diversion?

The Nsemani area has great stories written all over it, many memorable lions with previous territory fights no one would forget. Are we in for another pride takeover, and territory war in the Nsemani area, or even Satara? Will the Shish males get a challenge after all these years?

Casper needs to find his 3 brothers, and he needs to find them VERY soon. A lion alone at night in the african wilderness, with 5 or 6 young male lions lurking, might just be the last night....

We all await the next move, and we all want to see Casper with his brothers, soon...
"

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Brahim - 11-28-2023

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Brahim - 11-28-2023

Darkmaned one of the four Shishangaan, Caspers brother losing condition, seen couple days ago.
Credit: Soh Viaja

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Spalea - 12-11-2023

The Casper's and his brothers' situation is always worrying. The future battle against the huge coalition of six male lions "Alliance" seems to be unavoidable.

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Tr1x24 - 12-11-2023

(12-11-2023, 04:32 AM)Spalea Wrote: The Casper's and his brothers' situation is always worrying. The future battle against the huge coalition of six male lions "Alliance" seems to be unavoidable.

Also their most dominant brother is not in best shape, seen quite skinny.

RE: Shishangaan Male Lions - Brahim - 12-17-2023

The Ghost Casper and pride on a kill couple days back.
Credit: Sibusiso Mahlangu