WildFact
The Tumbela Coalition - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: The Tumbela Coalition (/topic-the-tumbela-coalition)

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Mapokser - 10-05-2023

Both PCM have accepted the cubs I think. Makhunga did most of the mating he would definitely accept them and did, smaller one was seen with the cub and both spent a lot of time around the den. If they had not accepted them they'd have sniffed the cubs inside the den and killed them.

Tumbela has no reason to accept them but hopefully he will, or at least will keep his distance, if not females must fight, 2v1 they can keep him away as he won't be very aggressive towards the cubs, he knows he's a nomad.

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Tr1x24 - 10-08-2023

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Horizon - 10-11-2023

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

Tumbela was very vocal this morning

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Ngonya - 10-11-2023

Tumbela male Skorro Jr gets dominated by the Plains Camp males 
The reason he was beaten was probably because he was vocalizing...

from a different angle:

pictures of the fight:

edit:
yet again from another angle, here we can see that the Tumbela male saw the PCM but preferred to ignore them and lie down

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Hairy tummy - 10-11-2023

He's very lucky there.why were they so Lenient with him?

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - GhostCatP-22 - 10-11-2023

It’s almost like he’s been going thru an initiation to join their coalition. Tumbela was technically around first so the PC boys have known of him for a pretty long time. 
There’s some other videos of lions trying to join a coalition and they get beat up but if they stick with the group then they mostly get accepted. It’s like “if your gonna hang with us you gotta be tuff”
Just a theory

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - BA0701 - 10-11-2023

(10-11-2023, 09:12 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: It’s almost like he’s been going thru an initiation to join their coalition. Tumbela was technically around first so the PC boys have known of him for a pretty long time. 
There’s some other videos of lions trying to join a coalition and they get beat up but if they stick with the group then they mostly get accepted. It’s like “if your gonna hang with us you gotta be tuff”
Just a theory

The males in situations like that, that I have seen, were always nomadic coalitions. I, personally, have not seen dominant/territorial coalitions accept new members.

(10-11-2023, 09:15 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 09:12 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: It’s almost like he’s been going thru an initiation to join their coalition. Tumbela was technically around first so the PC boys have known of him for a pretty long time. 
Just a theory

The males in situations like that, that I have seen, were always nomadic coalitions. I, personally, have not seen dominant/territorial coalitions accept new members.
Remember the Kruger male (Freddy) accepting Tsalala male (solo). They did have previous confrontations before and after Tsalala male Lost his coalition partner (Cleo eyerfield) he came back to southern Sabi Sand once again and this time teamed up with Freddy, until Charleston males finished their reign.

(10-11-2023, 09:42 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 09:15 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
Just a theory

Remember the Kruger male (Freddy) accepting Tsalala male (solo). They did have previous confrontations before and after Tsalala male Lost his coalition partner (Cleo eyerfield) he came back to southern Sabi Sand once again and this time teamed up with Freddy, until Charleston males finished their reign.

But was Freddy dominant over a pride, or territorial when he and Solo paired up? Solo was a very interesting cat, I was reminded not too long back of how Wonky's story mirrors his in some ways.

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Tr1x24 - 10-11-2023

His leg doesnt look good:

*This image is copyright of its original author

That massive bump is still there.

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Gavskrr - 10-11-2023

I don't think they consider him a threat despite having cubs in the area, the fact that he roared must have irritated the PC males, not that they intended anything more serious since they gave up so quickly in a 2x1 situation, it almost just sounds like a warning about who is dominant in the area

(10-11-2023, 09:47 PM)BA0701 Wrote: But was Freddy dominant over a pride, or territorial when he and Solo paired up?

Not exactly, Freddy was pretty much in Mohawks situation now, as 3 Sand River males where bosses.

(10-11-2023, 10:06 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 09:47 PM)BA0701 Wrote: But was Freddy dominant over a pride, or territorial when he and Solo paired up?

Not exactly, Freddy was pretty much in Mohawks situation now, as 3 Sand River males where bosses.

This excerpt from Sabi Sabi's blog indicates otherwise:
"Heavyness (my tracker) and I were in continual chat about the possible location. We decided to head down towards the Msuthlu riverbed to pick up signs. As we turned the blind corner, there stood the unmistakable image of a huge male lion. His size was unmatched by the vegetation and the coloration of the mane and droopy eyes led us to immediately conclude that this was the Kruger male. His stomach was stretched to bursting capacity and we immediately began to assume that he had just finished a kill and that potentially around the corner he would lead us to the Southern Pride. We could not have been more wrong."

"The Kruger male began to walk off the road and immediately Heavyness spotted another male lion. The doubt that hit me was incredible, had I mistakenly identified the Kruger male for what could only now be the Sandriver males? ‘Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom.’ As we approached closer, there lay Solo, unmistakable."

"With there being intense pressure of male lion coalitions at Sabi Sabi and 16 different male lions having been seen over the past 8 months, was the Kruger male turning to an old known enemy in Solo? Solo is a nomadic male whose coalition partner, Eyrefield, is still missing within the depths of the Sabi Sands after a recent fight with the Selati males. This move could lead to a huge and strong coalition being formed and finally creating the much needed stability for the Southern Pride"

Im not sure but in all of those texts, it indicates that the Southern pride was unstable, but in control of the kruger male

Blog: Sabi Sabi Blog

(10-11-2023, 10:15 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 10:06 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

This excerpt from Sabi Sabi's blog indicates otherwise:
"Heavyness (my tracker) and I were in continual chat about the possible location. We decided to head down towards the Msuthlu riverbed to pick up signs. As we turned the blind corner, there stood the unmistakable image of a huge male lion. His size was unmatched by the vegetation and the coloration of the mane and droopy eyes led us to immediately conclude that this was the Kruger male. His stomach was stretched to bursting capacity and we immediately began to assume that he had just finished a kill and that potentially around the corner he would lead us to the Southern Pride. We could not have been more wrong."

"The Kruger male began to walk off the road and immediately Heavyness spotted another male lion. The doubt that hit me was incredible, had I mistakenly identified the Kruger male for what could only now be the Sandriver males? ‘Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom.’ As we approached closer, there lay Solo, unmistakable."

"With there being intense pressure of male lion coalitions at Sabi Sabi and 16 different male lions having been seen over the past 8 months, was the Kruger male turning to an old known enemy in Solo? Solo is a nomadic male whose coalition partner, Eyrefield, is still missing within the depths of the Sabi Sands after a recent fight with the Selati males. This move could lead to a huge and strong coalition being formed and finally creating the much needed stability for the Southern Pride"

Im not sure but in all of those texts, it indicates that the Southern pride was unstable, but in control of the kruger male

Blog: Sabi Sabi Blog

That is very interesting, and I stand corrected. What would be just as interesting would be Southern Pride's attitude towards Solo when the Freddy introduced his new partner. Do you know if Freddy had cubs with the pride at the time?

Another male I should have mentioned, which was discussed in the Sabi Sands thread, who mirrors Solo and his exploits, even more closely than Wonky at this stage, is Nkuhuma Male, their stories are very similar as well.

(10-11-2023, 10:15 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Im not sure but in all of those texts, it indicates that the Southern pride was unstable, but in control of the kruger male

SP was split, 3 Sand River males where in control of 1 group, while Freddy hanged with another, but in 1vs3, he was not exactly "top dog" in the area, thats why i said he was in similar situation as Mohawk now.

Since Limper died, that area and SP was very unstable, many coalitions coming in and outmuscling lone Freddy, like Solo/Cleo, Kumanas, Sand Rivers etc. 

Although he stayed in the area and with few SP members, he lost grip of his territory, even article points at this, how unstable times are, and how Freddy was pressured for many months.