WildFact
A tiger is loose in Tennessee - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: A tiger is loose in Tennessee (/topic-a-tiger-is-loose-in-tennessee)

Pages: 1 2

A tiger is loose in Tennessee - BA0701 - 09-11-2020

According to the local news, it is unknown at this time where it came from. 

Tiger loose in East Tennessee

RE: A tiger is loose in Tennessee - BA0701 - 09-11-2020

More from the local news. This has images of the terrain this tiger is in, and why it is going to be extremely tough to locate him.

Local news on loose Tiger in East Tennessee

RE: A tiger is loose in Tennessee - Timbavati - 12-04-2020

Very worrying situation, my friend. @BA0701,Do you know what happened with this tiger?

RE: A tiger is loose in Tennessee - BA0701 - 12-04-2020

(12-04-2020, 01:20 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Very worrying situation, my friend. @BA0701,Do you know what happened with this tiger?

@"TinoArmando" no, we don't actually know. They simply stated they were packing up the trapping equipment, and there has been nothing more said. While I have my ideas on what happened, given the lack of facts, I will keep my personal opinions to myself. All we know is that several different people, in different but close locations, claimed to have seen it. Trappers responded, were in the area for a couple of days, and then they simply claimed they were packing things up. There are a couple of locations with tigers in the area, one the zoo, and the other a big cat rescue, and at the time both claimed they were not missing any cats. So, that ended up being all the info we got and it just quietly went away.

RE: A tiger is loose in Tennessee - Shadow - 12-04-2020

(12-04-2020, 01:55 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 01:20 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Very worrying situation, my friend. @BA0701,Do you know what happened with this tiger?

@"TinoArmando" no, we don't actually know. They simply stated they were packing up the trapping equipment, and there has been nothing more said. While I have my ideas on what happened, given the lack of facts, I will keep my personal opinions to myself. All we know is that several different people, in different but close locations, claimed to have seen it. Trappers responded, were in the area for a couple of days, and then they simply claimed they were packing things up. There are a couple of locations with tigers in the area, one the zoo, and the other a big cat rescue, and at the time both claimed they were not missing any cats. So, that ended up being all the info we got and it just quietly went away.

It was pretty surely a bobcat and the person who spotted the animal made just a mistake. When looking at the photo of it, tail looks to be short just like bobcats have and also no stripes on back or flanks. Only some on feet, but bobcats can have those. So when calculating 1+1 result seems to be 2 and in this case a bobcat.

(12-04-2020, 02:00 AM)Shadow Wrote:

It was pretty surely a bobcat and the person who spotted the animal made just a mistake. When looking at the photo of it, tail looks to be short just like bobcats have and also no stripes on back or flanks. Only some on feet, but bobcats can have those. So when calculating 1+1 result seems to be 2 and in this case a bobcat.

What photo? I was unaware any photos were captured of it. I would certainly hope that someone, especially a police officer who should be trained in observation, wouldn't confuse a bobcat, which are not much bigger than a large house cat, with a much larger tiger. Even tiger cubs would be bigger than bobcats. Especially in an area where I would imagine folks are used to seeing bobcats. The thing that causes me to wonder if there isn't some level of truth to this, is the number of sightings, which on their FB page back when all this was going on, the local law enforcement stated, if I recall correctly, that there had been four reported sightings, right before the story disappeared. However, nothing would surprise me, people still report seeing bigfoot, so there's that. In an area I grew up in, in Florida, people would also periodically report seeing a black panther, no such creature existed then either.

(12-04-2020, 02:15 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

What photo? I was unaware any photos were captured of it. I would certainly hope that someone, especially a police officer who should be trained in observation, wouldn't confuse a bobcat, which are not much bigger than a large house cat, with a much larger tiger. Even tiger cubs would be bigger than bobcats. Especially in an area where I would imagine folks are used to seeing bobcats. The thing that causes me to wonder if there isn't some level of truth to this, is the number of sightings, which on their FB page back when all this was going on, the local law enforcement stated, if I recall correctly, that there had been four reported sightings, right before the story disappeared. However, nothing would surprise me, people still report seeing bigfoot, so there's that. In an area I grew up in, in Florida, people would also periodically report seeing a black panther, no such creature existed then either.

Yeah, when this kind of thing happens quite nearby I´m not too surprised when/if misidentifications happen: https://www.newschannel5.com/alleged-sighting-of-bigfoot-leads-to-shots-fired-in-mammoth-cave

And what comes to this alleged tiger sighting the person calling about it described it to be a tiger cub so it again backs up it, that misidentification.

Here a photo.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I don´t see a tiger there, when looking at this cat. But a bobcat for sure looks like that. No stripes, short tail, very strong looking hind legs in comparison with front legs.

I see, I totally agree with you, Despite we have our ideas of what has happened with him, with the lacks of facts and information. The personal opinion should remain to oneself. At least, until there is more information...

(12-04-2020, 02:22 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Yeah, when this kind of thing happens quite nearby I´m not too surprised when/if misidentifications happen: https://www.newschannel5.com/alleged-sighting-of-bigfoot-leads-to-shots-fired-in-mammoth-cave

And what comes to this alleged tiger sighting the person calling about it described it to be a tiger cub so it again backs up it, that misidentification.

Here a photo.

I don´t see a tiger there, when looking at this cat. But a bobcat for sure looks like that. No stripes, short tail, very strong looking hind legs in comparison with front legs.

Good observation, Shadow!
Good eye, I've researching images of bobcats in Google, And, To be honest, look similar to the animal in the picture that you have posted above.
Edited: Yes,Definitely It's a bobcat

Here a photo.

I had not seen that image of the cat in question, but yes that is absolutely a bobcat. If that is what people saw, then there is no question it was a misidentification. I cracked up over the mammoth cave story, I suppose there are some gullible folks out there, for sure. But, to seriously begin shooting over bigfoot, just wow!

(12-04-2020, 02:39 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

I see, I totally agree with you, Despite we have our ideas of what has happened with him, with the lacks of facts and information. The personal opinion should remain to oneself. At least, until there is more information...

Here is an article of this case. I don´t know what kind of thoughts you have now, but people misidentify animals all the time so this case doesn´t seem to be any big deal. And when a rumor spreads, it´s sure that there come up some people who claim to have seen the same what was in the news. Also an 50-80 lbs animal is easily 150 lbs or more when someone sees something surprising and is maybe a bit frightened.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wildlife-officials-say-tiger-sighting-near-knoxville-was-likely-bobcat-n1240352

Quote: "Matthew Cameron, a spokesperson for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, which led the tiger search, said in an email on Thursday that the tiger sighting was a case of “mistaken identity.”

“There haven't been any recent reports and there were no confirmed sightings,” he said. "A trap was initially set however it was removed after there was no activity.""

"Phil Colclough, animal director at Zoo Knoxville, said that based on the deputy's description, if it was a tiger it would be “young.”

“A tiger like that is over a year old easily, but like I’ve said from the beginning, it was most likely a bobcat.”
Bobcats are common in eastern Tennessee, Colclough said, adding that it was completely reasonable for an average Joe to have mistaken the big cat for a tiger."

Here a photo.

Btw, where did that image come from? I did not see that in any of the stories I read on the matter. As for happening near by, well Mammoth Cave is in an entirely other state, so not so near by, Mammoth Cave is in Kentucky.

(12-04-2020, 02:50 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Here is an article of this case. I don´t know what kind of thoughts you have now, but people misidentify animals all the time so this case doesn´t seem to be any big deal. And when a rumor spreads, it´s sure that there come up some people who claim to have seen the same what was in the news. Also an 50-80 lbs animal is easily 150 lbs or more when someone sees something surprising and is maybe a bit frightened.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wildlife-officials-say-tiger-sighting-near-knoxville-was-likely-bobcat-n1240352

Quote: "Matthew Cameron, a spokesperson for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, which led the tiger search, said in an email on Thursday that the tiger sighting was a case of “mistaken identity.”

“There haven't been any recent reports and there were no confirmed sightings,” he said. "A trap was initially set however it was removed after there was no activity.""

"Phil Colclough, animal director at Zoo Knoxville, said that based on the deputy's description, if it was a tiger it would be “young.”

“A tiger like that is over a year old easily, but like I’ve said from the beginning, it was most likely a bobcat.”
Bobcats are common in eastern Tennessee, Colclough said, adding that it was completely reasonable for an average Joe to have mistaken the big cat for a tiger."

Clearly, if the image you posted was from one of the supposed witnesses, then there can be no doubt it was a case of mistaken ID, because the image you posted is most certainly a bobcat, albeit a very large one, but a bobcat nonetheless.

(12-04-2020, 02:50 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Oh, Sorry If I've sound arrogant about my thoughts, I was referring about the fate of this animal. I mean, As I don't know what happened with him, i can't say anything out of place without some prior information. Beforehand,Thank you for this helpful information. I/we appreciated it a lot!

Here is other photo of this cat, which some people thought to be a tiger.

@"TinoArmando"  @BA0701 Yeah, bobcats can have a lot of variability what comes to fur patterns, in this photo there seems to be a glipmse of spots/rosettes almost visible on flanks/back. Again tail is short.