WildFact
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage (/topic-birmingham-coalition-male-lineage)

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Robot00 - 10-03-2023

(10-02-2023, 07:46 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Two of the boys about to go into food coma

The boy on the left has a really thick mane

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mapokser - 10-03-2023

@Robot00 Yeah he does, even his older bothers from Kruger can't match his mane, whatever the type of measurement we're using.

Nsuku had thick mane IIRC, Tinyo had that Skybed-style mane, either might be this guy's father, and if you keep going back his ancestors you'll reach the Skybeds themselves with their massive manes. From their mother's side, SN Majingi had very thick mane, I think GM also had a big mane. Great-grandfathers? PB Mapogo had thick mane, Dreadlocks overall big and long mane, though this guy's grandmother is the living Mangheni with the new cub, IIRC she's the grandmother of 4/6 Kambula males, I find her incredibly similar to Makhuku so my guess would be that he's the more likely great-grandfather, his mane wasn't as thick as PB's or long as Dreadlocks' but still overall big.

Anyway lots of possible good genes for mane for these guys to inherit, the other Kambulas got a more average mane growth rate, but this boy's mane is totally impressive for his age.

It'll also be interesting to see if any becomes a dark-maned lion, it doesn't look like it'll be the case for now but who knows, they have quite some potential ancestors with black manes.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tylermartin! - 10-03-2023

Not gonna lie these 6 kambulas males the 5 younger kambula girls might have some of the best genes I’ve seen

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - BigLion39 - 10-03-2023

All their manes will darken as they get older. It's a fact that as they age the manes darken. Its probably one of the only objective things we can see with the mane development.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mapokser - 10-03-2023

Yes the mane of every male will darken with age, but usually not enough for us to call them dark-maned lions. Usually dark-maned lions already show some decent shades of black earlier on.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Duco Ndona - 10-03-2023

The mane darkens depending on health and confidence. But like length and style, there is a genetic component to it. So some males max out at different shades than others.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - GhostCatP-22 - 10-04-2023

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/blog/lion-mane-linked-climate#:~:text=Zoo%20lions%20in%20hot%20climates,keeps%20their%20manes%20relatively%20thinner.

Very cool article on how temperature has a big effect on mane size/growth. There is of course a strong genetic element and that can be influenced by either hot or cold temperatures. Pretty cool to read that the lions like snow and seem very well adapted for cold (not sub zero blizzard cold tho)

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Ngonya - 10-04-2023

1/2 Older Kambula: "Snip-tail" yesterday by Edward Themba

The brother that didn't fall into the snare, he looks very impressive

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mapokser - 10-05-2023

I was chatting with Ngonya and some other friends on who we thought are the fathers of the Kruger Kambulas after seeing this amazing comparison on facebook, Nsuku Birmingham on the left & K1 on the right, credits to Liam Rainier & Graeme Mitchley:

But I was struggling trying to decide on which Birmingham I'd compare to K2, none looked "right", so I thought "hey I don't know who the father is, but the mother is a different story", so I looked at K3 and thought they were incredibly similar.

I also asked here who K3's mother was ( as again, the mother is 100% identifiable, the father might be any of the 4 Majingilanes ), was told it was the first Mangheni to die so I decided to throw her in too as a bonus.

K2 on the right, his mother on the middle and his grandmother on the left:

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - BA0701 - 10-05-2023

(10-05-2023, 04:51 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I was chatting with Ngonya and some other friends on who we thought are the fathers of the Kruger Kambulas after seeing this amazing comparison on facebook, Nsuku Birmingham on the left & K1 on the right, credits to Liam Rainier & Graeme Mitchley:

But I was struggling trying to decide on which Birmingham I'd compare to K2, none looked "right", so I thought "hey I don't know who the father is, but the mother is a different story", so I looked at K3 and thought they were incredibly similar.

I also asked here who K3's mother was ( as again, the mother is 100% identifiable, the father might be any of the 4 Majingilanes ), was told it was the first Mangheni to die so I decided to throw her in too as a bonus.

Nice work @Mapokser, you can certainly see the resemblances.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - criollo2mil - 10-05-2023

Reports from Northern Sabi Sabds that the Kambula Boys found Talamatii Breakaways and chased resulting in a split. three Sub adults of the TB are separated. none were injured to any current knowledge...more to follow

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Potato - 10-05-2023

I would definitelly be guessing that K2 was sired by Tinyo.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Slayerd - 10-05-2023

(10-05-2023, 04:51 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I was chatting with Ngonya and some other friends on who we thought are the fathers of the Kruger Kambulas after seeing this amazing comparison on facebook, Nsuku Birmingham on the left & K1 on the right, credits to Liam Rainier & Graeme Mitchley:

K#1 looks more like Mfumo and Nhenha than Nsuku.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 10-06-2023

K4 after chasing Nkuhumas, those buffalo meals definetly stacked up, he looks fantastic:

Credits: daniel_wildlife_photography

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mapokser - 10-06-2023

He's probably the most impressive of the 6.