WildFact
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage (/topic-birmingham-coalition-male-lineage)

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Chris - 07-24-2023

(06-26-2023, 01:19 PM)lionuk Wrote: The two oldest Kambula boys seen in Skukuza, next to Nyamundwa Dam
Pic credit: Anttilaehde

*This image is copyright of its original author

How far are these two boys away from their brothers?

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 01:46 PM)Chris Wrote: How far are these two boys away from their brothers?

20-30 km.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Timbavati - 07-24-2023

Tracking down the four Kambula males along with the female has been a lot easier the past few days. They are continuously trailing a large herd of buffalo, eager to hunt one down. Numerous attempts have been made but each time the buffalo herd pushes the lions back even further. With each failed attempt, these young lions learn a valuable lesson in hunting that will help them in the future.
Photo credits: Jason Street (1), Daniel Greyvenstein (2-4), Devon Jansen (3-5)

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 07-28-2023

Kambula boys snd sister taking down buffalo at Londolozi:

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Horizon - 07-28-2023

(07-28-2023, 09:40 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Kambula boys snd sister taking down buffalo at Londolozi:

One of the boys standing directly in front of the cow and holding its head. These boys need to hone their skills.

(07-28-2023, 10:00 AM)Horizon Wrote: One of the boys standing directly in front of the cow and holding its head. These boys need to hone their skills.

Nothing wrong with it, he is making easier for his brother who is on the throat, as buffalo cant move his head.

(07-28-2023, 10:07 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-28-2023, 10:00 AM)Horizon Wrote: One of the boys standing directly in front of the cow and holding its head. These boys need to hone their skills.

Nothing wrong with it, he is making easier for his brother who is on the throat, as buffalo cant move his head.

Yes, I have seen it. You are right, the head was locked in place due to his brother holding the throat. But just in case the throat grip is lost for any reason, he would be the first to suffer in that head on position. With bulls, wrestling gets tighter and grip is lost so often.
May be, this being a cow, he took that risk.

Also, its funny to watch the sister at the back.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tylermartin! - 07-28-2023

(07-28-2023, 04:30 PM)Horizon Wrote:

Yes, I have seen it. You are right, the head was locked in place due to his brother holding the throat. But just in case the throat grip is lost for any reason, he would be the first to suffer in that head on position. With bulls, wrestling gets tighter and grip is lost so often.

I think they call it the death kiss when they put their mouths over the buffaloes another way of killing them other than going for the throat

(07-28-2023, 08:19 PM)Tylermartin! Wrote:

I think they call it the death kiss when they put their mouths over the buffaloes another way of killing them other than going for the throat
Its seems safe for lions to do so once the buffalo is down. When its still standing on all four, I think there is a risk.
Its a cow, so its possible the young male didn't sense the risk.

The most effective buffalo hunts I have seen is when Lions get into one of the two positions. 1.Under and on to the throat(like one of the males doing it here). 2. Climb up on the buffalo and bring it down to the ground using the body weight.
Its not to say to say anything else doesn't work but it becomes a slog.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - BA0701 - 07-28-2023

(07-28-2023, 09:22 PM)Horizon Wrote:

Its seems safe for lions to do so once the buffalo is down. When its still standing on all four, I think there is a risk.

The most effective buffalo hunts I have seen is when Lions get into one of the two positions. 1.Under and on to the throat(like one of the males doing it here). 2. Climb up on the buffalo and bring it down to the ground using the body weight.

Best example of this, or at least my personal favorite, was Hairy Belly riding that buffalo, in one of his last hunts with the Othawa Pride. What a moment that was, and to be caught on camera.

(07-28-2023, 09:22 PM)Horizon Wrote: The most effective buffalo hunts I have seen is when Lions get into one of the two positions. 1.Under and on to the throat(like one of the males doing it here). 2. Climb up on the buffalo and bring it down to the ground using the body weight.

Yes, when there are only 2 lions, or short of numbers, but when you have 3,4,5 + members, every body on that buffalo is more then helpful, it helps the main killer lion who is on the throat.

Everyone cant be on those 2 positions if they are already taken.

This was actually a good example how to take buffalo by 4 lions, that buffalo was 100% locked, he couldnt move an inch, 0 chance of escaping.

Obiviously, being at front, near horns is more dangerous, but thats the risk lions need to take to kill buffalo.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - book1206 - 07-29-2023

(07-28-2023, 11:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-28-2023, 09:22 PM)Horizon Wrote: The most effective buffalo hunts I have seen is when Lions get into one of the two positions. 1.Under and on to the throat(like one of the males doing it here). 2. Climb up on the buffalo and bring it down to the ground using the body weight.

Yes, when there are only 2 lions, or short of numbers, but when you have 3,4,5 + members, every body on that buffalo is more then helpful, it helps the main killer lion who is on the throat.

Everyone cant be on those 2 positions if they are already taken.

This was actually a good example how to take buffalo by 4 lions, that buffalo was 100% locked, he couldnt move an inch, 0 chance of escaping.

Obiviously, being at front, near horns is more dangerous, but thats the risk lions need to take to kill buffalo.
  the youngest maleK6 is at the front of the buffalo.  Actually, he is the one who caught the buffalo. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ISReKHRvdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcEKPx2QF-Y

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Horizon - 07-29-2023

(07-28-2023, 09:22 PM)Horizon Wrote:

With the benefit of watching the video, seems it went head on as it was a smaller sized cow . Likely, he would do it differently on a bull.

If they stay together, they are at a stage where it might not be easy for other coalitions to kill them, may be just chase them away at the best. Only concern is if they get injured tackling buffaloes, that's the way their numbers could go down.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mwk85 - 07-31-2023

Sighting from yesterday 

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - criollo2mil - 07-31-2023

The four boys and the sister all reunited again. KYM3 had been seen alone last week