WildFact
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage (/topic-birmingham-coalition-male-lineage)

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mapokser - 05-21-2023

@Tr1x24 Dunno, only info I got was that, that Gijimas are the culprits, and although I believe the info is legit cos this friend has a good relationship with a couple of guides, I can't say it's 100% confirmed.

It doesn't look that bad indeed, all I can see in terms of potential meaningful injuries is the blood on his belly.

His smaller half-brother went through the same and is basically fully recovered, NK is stronger and at his prime so with some luck he didn't got any serious injuries.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mwk85 - 05-22-2023

Nkuhuma male. Post text reads like the injuries he was recently seen with may have come from a fight with buffaloes.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - criollo2mil - 05-22-2023

Seems the Kambulas have returned south and once again linked up w their sister.  

“ A large herd of over 300 buffalo have spent the last few days in the northern sector of Sabi Sabi. A herd this large often attracts lions and in this case, the Kambula Breakaways were found trailing the herd.

They patiently kept their distance watching the herd with intent waiting for a weak member to be separated. Hunting buffalo is extremely risky for lions but with high risk comes high reward, and a large buffalo would provide a great meal for these lions.”

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Mapokser - 05-23-2023

There are only 3 males and the female, I thought this meant that it was from back when they last visited and the other male went missing, but supposedly it's from today.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 05-23-2023

(05-23-2023, 03:01 AM)Mapokser Wrote: There are only 3 males and the female, I thought this meant that it was from back when they last visited and the other male went missing, but supposedly it's from today.

K3 prob somewhere behind, maybe still has problem following them because of slight limp.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - criollo2mil - 05-24-2023

Guys, you know I suck at IDs…..but these were posted at NKhulu YMs…..but could these be the two older Kambulas in Skukuza?

Credit is BOW

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 05-25-2023

(05-24-2023, 11:40 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Guys, you know I suck at IDs…..but these were posted at NKhulu YMs…..but could these be the two older Kambulas in Skukuza?

No.

Not sure who are males on first photo, but on other 2 photos are Talamati/Southern Pride males, back from 2020.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - criollo2mil - 05-25-2023

(05-25-2023, 12:09 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 11:40 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Guys, you know I suck at IDs…..but these were posted at NKhulu YMs…..but could these be the two older Kambulas in Skukuza?

No.

Not sure who are males on first photo, but on other 2 photos are Talamati/Southern Pride males, back from 2020.

Ohhhhh WoW….so these are throwbacks.    They were part of an album with several sightings and two were definitively Kambulas.   I just didn’t know about these.

(05-25-2023, 12:09 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

No.

So these are Selati son and Fourways son?

What happened to them?    Wasn’t there a second Selati son?

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - book1206 - 05-25-2023

(05-23-2023, 10:47 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 03:01 AM)Mapokser Wrote: There are only 3 males and the female, I thought this meant that it was from back when they last visited and the other male went missing, but supposedly it's from today.

K3 prob somewhere behind, maybe still has problem following them because of slight limp.

K3 and K4 are both there.  It's K5  that went missing again.    In January, K5 was chased away by Ndzhenga males and was not visible for  three weeks.  He finally rejoined his brothers at Sabisabi.    

(05-25-2023, 12:43 AM)book1206 Wrote:

K3 and K4 are both there.  It's K5  that went missing again.    In January, K5 was chased away by Ndzhenga males and was not visible for  three weeks.  He finally rejoined his brothers at Sabisabi.    

I have noticed for about half the year back, there was always 3 +1 seen in most sightings.   As if there was always a boy that was separate.   Or distanced enough that he wouldn’t be in most sightings.     Every now and again they would join….only to again see 3+1.   So this isn’t surprising to me…..but I figured after being caught out the last time he would take heed or stay closer together.

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - book1206 - 05-25-2023

(05-25-2023, 12:43 AM)book1206 Wrote:

This picture of K5 was taken at Mar 18.  There were nasty scars (prob caused by Ndzhenga males) around his hip .

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 05-25-2023

(05-25-2023, 12:36 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: So these are Selati son and Fourways son?

Yes.

This is Talamati #1 and SP male :

*This image is copyright of its original author

This is Talamati #2 (facing camera) :

They disappeared towards mid 2020, last seen around Pretoriuskup area.

(05-25-2023, 01:00 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 12:36 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: So these are Selati son and Fourways son?

Yes.

This is Talamati #1 and SP male :

This is Talamati #2 (facing camera) :

They disappeared towards mid 2020, last seen around Pretoriuskup area.

Wow.   This mid 2020 period was such chaotic for nomadic Sabi sand lions.   So many of them dissapeared never to be seen again.   This was just before I started following lions.   I began around September of that year and kept reading about all the lions that went missing

RE: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Duco Ndona - 05-25-2023

Its fairly normal for the lion dynamics to be that brutal. 

Afteral. There are only so many prides to take over. Each protected by much stronger and experienced lions that will remain in power for 10 years. But still generating new nomadic coalitions every 3 years or so. So there often is just no space for the youngsters.