WildFact
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage (/topic-birmingham-coalition-male-lineage)

RE: BBoys sons - Potato - 12-19-2020

(12-19-2020, 06:28 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 05:58 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Nkuhuma young male with the Styx young male seen recently at Londolozi Game Reserve. Screenshot from  Virtual Safari/Ultimate Game Drive Highlights No. 40 released on 19th of Dec. 2020

Great news!

Besides that nasty injury on Nkuhuma, they are looking great and big..

Here si the video, from 19:10 min mark:

They could have good shot on Othawa male and/or Tumbelas. Despite arrival of a new coalition on 3 (Tumbelas) I think western sector is still a best bet for nomadic males in the Sabi Sands.

RE: BBoys sons - Tr1x24 - 12-19-2020

(12-19-2020, 10:28 PM)Potato Wrote: They could have good shot on Othawa male and/or Tumbelas. Despite arrival of a new coalition on 3 (Tumbelas) I think western sector is still a best bet for nomadic males in the Sabi Sands.

I dont think that Nkuhuma and Styx are yet in that "takeover" phase, for atleast half a year or maybe even more..but yea, that area is the best chance for them in Sabi Sands. 

They have advantage because they know every single one of the Sabi Sands coalitions and their numbers (both of them where in every part of Sabi Sands by now) .. So i wouldn't be suprise if they take a chance at the weakest of them in future.. Or they will leave in Kruger, who knows..

RE: BBoys sons - Rabubi - 12-19-2020

(12-16-2020, 09:51 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 08:59 PM)Potato Wrote: "Majingilanes needed 8 yrs for that numbers, in 2021 when/if those subadults reach 3 yrs of age, Bboys would be dominant for "only" around 6 yrs"

It is rather just luck of being in right place at right time. Territory which they tookover - northern Sabi Sands is insanely rich in adult females. That is why I do think number of sired cubs is not really somethink I am too impresed with. One like Southern Avocas can out compete coalition of 3, secure territory for years and still sire just very few offspring and the others like Red Road or Othawa male can just get for free territory and big pride and easly sire planty of cubs. 

"When all set and done, Bboys might catch Majingilanes as most successfull coalition in Sabi Sands in recent times.."

Still MAjings are far ahead in other meassures like number of prides controled, number of coalitions chasse/defeated (just the remaind that they also chassed around Birminghams themselfs couple of times), or time of their rule (I think it is unlikely Birminghams wil get even close to 7 years rule).

Well, luck is big part of the wild, but why do you think that they  "accidentaly" took-over that territory?? They certaintly didnt, they knew that that territory was rich with females and was worth competing for, so i dont think its pure luck that they took-over that territory.. 

N. Avocas control that area now, why they dont control Torchwoods like Bboys have? Because they dont have numbers to sustain it.. 

You mentioned S. Avocas, why they didn't took-over central Sabi Sands in 2017 in which where big prides like Kambulas and Mhangenis then?? Because they didnt have numbers to compete for bigger and better territories/prides.. 

So its not like Bboys where lucky to have that many prides on their territory, its more like that big coalitions are lucky for their numbers, so they can compete for bigger territory with more and bigger prides in it and eventually chance to sire more cubs.. 

In cases of smaller coalitions and alone males i agree, it comes to being lucky, be on the right place at the right time and avoiding bigger coalitions.. 

But bigger coalitions are not lucky to have big prides and big territory, they have it because they have numbers to compete for it and sustain it.. 

I agree that Majingilanes in other categories are far ahead, i was talking purely about success in raising offspring..
Agreed. The concept of luck in an animal's success isn't all that relevant in my opinion. Wild animals are opportunistic by nature so it makes perfect sense that male lions will go for prides that offer the least resistance (fewer/no pride males). Still, it doesn't take away from their success as it shows that they capitalized on that opportunity. A meritocracy is nothing more than a human concept and it has no place in the wild.

RE: BBoys sons - Potato - 12-19-2020

(12-19-2020, 10:41 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 10:28 PM)Potato Wrote: They could have good shot on Othawa male and/or Tumbelas. Despite arrival of a new coalition on 3 (Tumbelas) I think western sector is still a best bet for nomadic males in the Sabi Sands.

I dont think that Nkuhuma and Styx are yet in that "takeover" phase, for atleast half a year or maybe even more..but yea, that area is the best chance for them in Sabi Sands. 

They have advantage because they know every single one of the Sabi Sands coalitions and their numbers (both of them where in every part of Sabi Sands by now) .. So i wouldn't be suprise if they take a chance at the weakest of them in future.. Or they will leave in Kruger, who knows..

Most definitelly they are when it comes to challange single dominant male like Othawa male. There are multiple examples around of coalitions of males around 4 years old chassing single lion like Ross males vs Mabande and against Giraffe male or Avocas vs Matsapiri male. Impossible to really tell what Tumbelas are capable of at the moment (same acctually goes to Styx and Nkuchuma duo), but 2vs3 is dualable if Styx/Nkuchuma prove to be capable enough or Tumbelas incapable in regar of terrytorial fights.

RE: BBoys sons - Tr1x24 - 12-20-2020

(12-19-2020, 11:35 PM)Potato Wrote: Most definitelly they are when it comes to challange single dominant male like Othawa male. There are multiple examples around of coalitions of males around 4 years old chassing single lion like Ross males vs Mabande and against Giraffe male or Avocas vs Matsapiri male. Impossible to really tell what Tumbelas are capable of at the moment (same acctually goes to Styx and Nkuchuma duo), but 2vs3 is dualable if Styx/Nkuchuma prove to be capable enough or Tumbelas incapable in regar of terrytorial fights.

Some males are in "takeover phase" earlier then others, depends on their confidence..Tumbelas are almost 5 and they are still not confident 3 vs 1.

For now Styx and NK are not showing anything that we can believe that they are ready to challenge even single male,they are keeping low profile for now,that might change in near future tho.

RE: BBoys sons - Potato - 12-20-2020

".Tumbelas are almost 5 and they are still not confident 3 vs 1."

I do not know what are you talking about. They firmily already while ago took controll over Matimba male territory. 

"Some males are in "takeover phase" earlier then others, depends on their confidence."

That also depends from strenght of the coalition young males are up against and as I said there are multiple examples around of 4 years old males chassing around single prime, dominant male. 

"For now Styx and NK are not showing anything that we can believe that they are ready to challenge even single male,"

Also neither of  examples I provided was slow takeover. It was just once young males realised they have huge numerical advantage then atacked.

"they are keeping low profile for now,that might change in near future tho."

Any male keep low profile to some point in his life, but that nkuchuma and Styx keept low profile so far doesn't mean they will keep low profile forever. They are already at the are we should consider them of a competition for the dominant males.

RE: BBoys sons - Tr1x24 - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 03:39 AM)Potato Wrote: I do not know what are you talking about. They firmily already while ago took controll over Matimba male territory. 

I dont know what you are talking about.. They did it only because HB is not capable of chasing/facing them at this point of his life.. There was no 1 report in what 4,5 months (since they came here) that they chased or in any way confront HB, in contrary HB even steal a kill and chased 1 Tumbela without any resistence from the kill and Sassy.. 

Tumbelas are taking advantage of HB's age and health, they didn't attack him once for now.. If they where on a territory of prime male, they certaintly wouldn't have good time like in western sector with old HB.. But this is off topic.. 

(12-20-2020, 03:39 AM)Potato Wrote: Any male keep low profile to some point in his life, but that nkuchuma and Styx keept low profile so far doesn't mean they will keep low profile forever. They are already at the are we should consider them of a competition for the dominant males.

Theres no certaint age when males are ready for takeovers.. Some males do that very young, around 4 as you said, but some males dont attempt that before 5.5-6 yrs old, many examples of that, just recently 4 Shishangaan males (>6 yrs old and still nomads, and they have numbers)..
Its all about confidence and that depends from individuals..

RE: BBoys sons - Potato - 12-20-2020

"I dont know what you are talking about.. They did it only because HB is not capable of chasing/facing them at this point of his life.. There was no 1 report in what 4,5 months (since they came here) that they chased or in any way confront HB, in contrary HB even steal a kill and chased 1 Tumbela without any resistence from the kill and Sassy.. "

Yeah, but it is not like Tumbelas are hiding scared to challange single male (not in 1vs1 tho). I do not there is a reason to say Tumbelas are not confident to challange single male. So far they did not show any fear towards single male what so ever. I think if HB or Othawa male would roar on their territory they would go after them.

"Theres no certaint age when males are ready for takeovers.. Some males do that very young, around 4 as you said, but some males dont attempt that before 5.5-6 yrs old, many examples of that, just recently 4 Shishangaan males (>6 yrs old and still nomads, and they have numbers)..

Its all about confidence and that depends from individuals.."

Confidance is influenced also by the strenght of the coalition they are up against. Regarding age on which males are ready to take over I was talking on avarage coalition and on avarage males try their first takeover at age about 5 if they are somewhat in equal numbers, but they do try it much ealier if they are up against just a single male.

RE: BBoys sons - Tr1x24 - 12-30-2020

RE: BBoys sons - Tr1x24 - 12-30-2020

NK and Styx males with HB Matimba in Singita on giraffe carcass, NK males injury healing quite well:

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: BBoys sons - Tr1x24 - 12-31-2020

RE: BBoys sons - Slayerd - 01-02-2021

The Beautiful Torchwood Male, seen a few days ago at Mala Mala Game Reserve by Zaheer Ali. Big Boy is still doing well on his own. Hopefully he finds partners.

RE: BBoys sons - Timbavati - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 10:52 PM)Slayerd Wrote: The Beautiful Torchwood Male, seen a few days ago at Mala Mala Game Reserve by Zaheer Ali. Big Boy is still doing well on his own. Hopefully he finds partners.

He looks even more beautiful than never!
What a  gorgeous animal

RE: BBoys sons - Tr1x24 - 01-11-2021

1 of the Kambula young males :

Photo Credit : keenanstreet

RE: BBoys sons - Potato - 01-11-2021

(01-11-2021, 05:32 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 1 of the Kambula young males :

Photo Credit : keenanstreet

Clearly sired by Nsuku.