WildFact
Male Tigers with Cubs - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Male Tigers with Cubs (/topic-male-tigers-with-cubs)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Apollo - 08-16-2014

B2 with 3 cubs

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Roflcopters - 08-16-2014

here's more of T-25 aka Dollar male warning the late queen T-17 to stay away from his daughters.

*This image is copyright of its original author

T-17 gets the message loud and clear

Father and daughter

Credits to my old friend Phantera for the pictures [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Pckts - 11-18-2014

Just when we think that we know everything there is to know about tigers, they surprise us again.
Check out the amazing Waghohs success story of how many liters he's raised as well as his ability to bring seperate families together. The Ranveer Singh Gautam photography 11 hrs · Edited ·     ------------------------FATHERHOOD------------------------------
"Wagdoh male Tiger been father of more than 20 cubs in last 3 years , is not only a great contributor towards the growth of population of tigers in Tadoba but also a great caretaker of his cubs ,.Recently an amazing and historic moment took place in buffer zone where wagdoh male tiger is currently living . On 14 November some villagers threw a dead bull near a water-body and next day Wagdoh dragged that died bull 4 km inside the jungle and started giving call to his nearby female and cubs , After the tigress and 2 cubs reached the spot , Wagdoh male left that place and was seen almost 9 km away from that place with his another female & 4 cubs , he brought that female and 4 cubs to this place and total 9 tigers including him(Male) , 2 female tigress and 6 cubs of his were having a feast at this died bull . This shows an amazing Tiger behavior that has never been seen before , usually this behavior is seen in LION group but it has never been seen with Tigers , forest officials observed this amazing moment and shared this amazing experience with us last evening . This is a great time to see the great male tiger Tadoba has ever had more than 40 cubs in his lifespan of 11 years makes him greatest of them all"

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - GuateGojira - 11-19-2014

This is far from been a surprise. It is already a well know fact that male tigers are excellent fathers, via several accounts in literature, both old and modern.

From Scientific studies, since 1967, Schaller recorded this behavior but it was not well understood. Latter, McDougal and Sunquist also recorded interactions of the large males with they cubs and finally the great Valmik Thapar finally proved that male tigers do care about they cubs.

Modern reports, plus several pictures have corroborated this, showing male tigers sharing they kills with they females and cubs and even raising cubs when the mother is dead. Like I told to Pckts before, it is not a single case, there are several, and in all cases, male tigers give priority to his females with cubs.

Interestingly, the two adult females that shared the prey with the large male, were probably sisters. This is based in the fact that related females tolerate each other, make territories around that of they mother, and in rare cases (when a large kill is available), they share it. If the females were not related, they will surely fight (especially with the cubs), even in the presence of the male.

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Pckts - 11-20-2014

The surprise Gaute was that two adult females shared a killed together with the common male. Which even if they are sisters or not, (we don't know for sure) they don't generally tolerate each other
I.E. Machlis daughters.

Edit: I probably agree that Male tigers will let a female with HIS cubs feed first, its only natural but a male tiger is far less likely to let a female keep her kill when there are no cubs present, even if they are mates. In most cases, that is.
Like the Male, Nick, who attacked machli, oddly enough, nick actually met machli while she still had cubs fathered from the first disappeared male and he did not attack them, maybe he didn't know where they were, but not sure, this male below steals a kill from a mate or possible mate

Like Bamera who is said to steal kills from his mates, not sure if he stole kills from his mates when they had cubs but I thought that he may have, and his son is becoming quite proficient at it now as well. But push comes to shove, I think a Tiger father is just as caring towards his cubs as Lions are, but same with lions, he will put up with them till a certain point, than its time for them to get out or take the territory for themselves.

Like Yedda Anna did with his son Ookhan I believe or Bam with his dad, Raja with his father, etc.

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Roflcopters - 11-20-2014

B2 was also well known to allow his kids from different females to share the meal that he would hunt, I think there's a lot of myth surrounding male tigers and their social lives. most of which have been refuted in recent times. 

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Pckts - 11-21-2014

The Ranveer Singh Gautam photography shared a photo.14 hours ago-----JOURNEY OF FEMALE TIGRESS “MADHURI” OF TELIA LAKE OF MOHARLI RANGE TADOBA TO BUFFER ZONE OF TADOBA ---- –

After leaving behind her 4 daughters (grown up tigress of age 2 years ) so that they can form their own territory and giving away her territory of Telia lake of Moharli range to one of her daughter named by local as "Sonam " , Female tigress "Madhuri" of Telia lake was not seen for many days in the park , Forest officials & wildlife lovers were worried about the sudden disappearance of such a huge majestic female ....

Even after continuous search operations by officials and other forest staff for 5 to 6 months , still the female was not found .....In order to provide employment to the youth of nearby villages forest department started tourism in buffer zone of Tadoba , one such buffer zone was Jakana gate Buffer near MTDC .....While making the routes for buffer zone for safari ,the forest workers came up with the news of a Tigress with 4 cubs, Forest round officers installed cameras in the area and finally the news of telia female "Madhuri" with another 4 cubs confirmed ,and after that wagdoh male too joined them in buffer ,

Now the cubs are about 8 to 10 months old. sharing picture of cubs in playful mood that I have seen in summer . There are 3 different female with around 13 cubs that has been sighted till date , this time buffer zone is going to make lot of buzz than tadoba andhari core zone ..waiting for a great season ahead , enjoy the picThe male cub of wagdoh from buffer zone — with Krishna Reddy and 32 others.

Here is the image link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ranveer-Singh-Gautam-photography/199018496960041

I'll upload it if you can't see it.
Just some of his cubs in a tree.

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - GuateGojira - 11-21-2014

(11-20-2014, 12:16 AM)'Pckts' Wrote: The surprise Gaute was that two adult females shared a killed together with the common male. Which even if they are sisters or not, (we don't know for sure) they don't generally tolerate each other
I.E. Machlis daughters.

Edit: I probably agree that Male tigers will let a female with HIS cubs feed first, its only natural but a male tiger is far less likely to let a female keep her kill when there are no cubs present, even if they are mates. In most cases, that is.
Like the Male, Nick, who attacked machli, oddly enough, nick actually met machli while she still had cubs fathered from the first disappeared male and he did not attack them, maybe he didn't know where they were, but not sure, this male below steals a kill from a mate or possible mate

Like Bamera who is said to steal kills from his mates, not sure if he stole kills from his mates when they had cubs but I thought that he may have, and his son is becoming quite proficient at it now as well. But push comes to shove, I think a Tiger father is just as caring towards his cubs as Lions are, but same with lions, he will put up with them till a certain point, than its time for them to get out or take the territory for themselves.

Like Yedda Anna did with his son Ookhan I believe or Bam with his dad, Raja with his father, etc.

I had already clarified this before:
Evidence suggests that male tigers allow females and his cubs to eat first, even when they have killed the prey. On the other hand, tigers do steal kills from other subordinated specimens when they can.

These are two different situations and we don’t know more because these conclusions are based in qualitative evidence and not quantitative data, in this case, we need more studies to actually state this as a scientific fact. Interestingly, the only place with enough evidence is Ranthambore (and now probably also Tadoba), thanks to the observations of Valmik Thapar and a few other “amateur” or “professional” photographers.

Now, about the behavior of father and subadult son, which has not been discussed yet, that was well defined in the radiocollaring studies in Nepal (at least), when it was established that the fathers do tolerate they sons up to the dispersal age at 2 years old. After that, they are pushed out or simple abandon the area, although exceptional cases do happen, like the case of the Dakre male (T-102), which never left its area because there was no other adult male that pushed him out from the area.

Finally, about the "sisters" issue, it is true that there are different behaviors in animals, but normally, tigress avoid each other and respect they territories, but in rare occasions they join to share a kill. Take in count my words, they do this RARELY, they normally don’t do that. However, taking in count that tigresses are highly territorial, the logic suggestion is that those tigresses that joined the Wagdoh male were probably sisters.

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Pckts - 11-21-2014

In regards to Father and son,
In ranthambhore, T24 is extremely tolerant to his son T72, which of course is known via eye witness observations.
In fact, many fathers in Ranthambhore or extremely tolerant of their sons, 
There has actually never been a father and son battle in Ranth. that I am aware of. 

B2 and Bamera was different and had battles which of course where observed, 
Bamera and Pushpar have had battles observed as well, Raja and his father and many others.

What makes Ranth. different?
Thats the real question, why are tigers so different their in terms of attitudy toward their children?

If I had to guess, it has to do with Tigress availability, Maybe a Father Tiger is much more likely to indulge his son for a longer period of time if there is a higher # of Tigress' available to breed with per sq. mile.

Tadoba seems to have a high number of Tigress' and there seems to be very little father son fights, but many fights none the less.
Bahdhavargh has few tigress that I have seen, same with Bandipur and both have had fights between father and son, Kahna has extremely low Tigress #'s and has many fights quite often.
Kaziranga and Corbett are both unknown to me.
I am not saying this is the reason why, just a observation and somebody with more knowledge on Tigress density per park could clarify this further.
@Roflcopters would definitely be able to shed more light on this hypothesis.

Edit: In light of the new findings about T24 and T72 getting into a fight with both being injured and T24 being forced out, it seems that even if Tigress' are available it will always come down to Tiger density and the amount of territory that supports them.

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Pckts - 01-30-2015

The Tadoba bufferzone trails Page Liked · January 22 ·    
------------The fatherhood --------------

Amazing fact - Generally male doesn't lives with cubs and female , but here in tadoba one tiger family thats proving everybody wrong and changing the facts is this one , the wagdoh family of buffer zone ....this great moment was captured by one and only Nikhil tambekar

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Roflcopters - 03-05-2015

Gabbar with Choti tara and cubs from Tadoba

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - sanjay - 06-06-2015

An incredible behavior of male tiger wagdoh shared by young wildlife photographer Ranveer Singh Gautam.

Wagdoh male Tiger been father of more than 20 cubs in last 3 years , is not only a great contributor towards the growth of population of tigers in Tadoba but also a great caretaker of his cubs ,.Recently an amazing and historic moment took place in buffer zone where wagdoh male tiger is currently living . On 14 November some villagers threw a dead bull near a water-body and next day Wagdoh dragged that died bull 4 km inside the jungle and started giving call to his nearby female and cubs , After the tigress and 2 cubs reached the spot , Wagdoh male left that place and was seen almost 9 km away from that place with his another female & 4 cubs , he brought that female and 4 cubs to this place and total 9 tigers including him(Male) , 2 female tigress and 6 cubs of his were having a feast at this dead bull . This shows an amazing Tiger behaviour that has never been seen before , usually this behaviour is seen in LION group but it has never been seen with Tigers , forest officials observed this amazing moment and shared this amazing experience with us last evening . This is a great time to see the great male tiger Tadoba has ever had more than 40 cubs in his lifespan of 11 years makes him greatest of them

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - GuateGojira - 06-06-2015

I am not agree anymore in saying that these are "exceptional" behaviors. From my point of view, based in several evidence taken from studies and photographs, the Indian tiger IS a great father.

Observations in Kanha, Nepal, Tadoba and Rantambhore, show that the father tiger is a very important figure in the social life. They not only protect the territory from other male tigers, in order to prevent infanticide, but also it has been show that he share the food with they families and even leave the prey completely for his "wife" and sons.

What we are seeing here is the normal behavior of the male Bengal tiger, that has been hidden since many times, but bravely showed and defended by the great Valmik Thapar since 1980 and beyond.

Now, the challenge is to see if this same paternal behavior is repeated in the other tiger areas, like Indochina, Sumatra and Russia. At this moment, there was no direct evidence of paternal behavior of tigers in the Amur region, but one resent exceptional photograph showed a family together (father, mother and 3 sons), which could suggest some kind of relationship in the long term, despite the large areas that they most take care.

Other thing, it is remarkable that the male tiger, been a loner by nature, is less aggressive with its cubs and his females than the male lion. Although the male lion do share its meals with the cubs, it normally attack the females. In the tiger, this is no the case, at least when the female have cubs. Interestingly, don't you think?

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Pckts - 12-22-2016

Aranyak Resort - The Jungle Kingdom
Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve :- We came across a very unique sight in Mirchani Area of the reserve, Kalluah the fully grown up Male Tiger (from first litter of Mirchani Female Tigress) with the cub of Mirchani Female Tigress from her second litter.

Photo clicked by Lalit Rajora.

RE: Male Tigers with Cubs - Pckts - 01-12-2017

Roshan Katkar

Messing with Dad... could be a painful lesson.