WildFact
B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India (/topic-b2-and-other-great-tiger-pics-from-india)

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Roflcopters - 12-29-2019

@Pckts @Pantherinae 

I don’t think i have much to add, i agree with pretty much everything. knowing fully well that each individual tiger is product of his environment. i think logically speaking, prey option seals the deal for me. Kanha on average does have the biggest males in Central India and that much is undeniable. this is the same argument i get when i factor in the males from Terai and Assam, they are bigger than all the others because of their habitat and bigger prey option available to them. it’s like the ultimate habitat. one thing i do want to add is that tigers in Tadoba’s core and Buffer are significantly different and it’s obviously linked to the prey density of the animals. core of Tadoba has a small number of Gaurs, on the other hand. the buffers have a sustainable amount of Gaurs to keep a dominant male busy and full fed. so if you look at the food consumption. say an average male from Kanha hunts gaur 2x a month or 3x and if a tiger from the buffers of Tadoba can top that. i don’t see a major difference in their overall build. It really all factors in the tiger’s ability to hunt, how often he hunts and how much food he consumes. another thing that you mentioned and i think it’s a big role in any tigers life. It’s the parenting, depending on the mother’s and the father’s gene, if they were fairly average. their offspring probably wouldn’t be too far off, give and take. I still think Dadyal, Shiva and a few others who have specialized preying on Gaurs are an exception to the rule, specially knowing their background. It gives me more grounds to speak on them. similarly i think Waghdoh who basically earned his stripes from preying on gaurs and it was a well known fact that despite being present in the core areas, he would venture out to the buffer areas to find his favorite prey item and as a result of that. he was a well seasoned male all year long and often appeared full-bellied and according to some. he was “fat”. 

Quote:CM is well above 200 kg. He’s not that big, but he’s still very impressive and not by any means a small tiger. They are solid and round bodied and does also probably weigh more than they look like. I talked with a guy called Minh Ha I don’t know how reliable he is and he is a Kanha fanatic, but he said CM had been weighed at arround 220 kg when he was quite young.(I do not have his excat quote right now) 

Minh Ha may be a fanatic but his knowledge on Kanha tigers is amazing. he’s done a splendid job over the years identifying individuals and keeping a tab on them. all the personal differences aside, i look at people for what they have done and how much work they put in. so if you look at him for what he’s worth. he has also provided people with additional information of the tigers that you normally wouldn’t find elsewhere on the internet. if CM did indeed weigh 220kg. I wouldn’t be too surprised. i saw CM and Umarpani’s fight and honestly. CM wasn’t all that small. 

either way Umarpani is a 250kg+ tier tiger. 

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Junglelores - 12-29-2019

(12-29-2019, 12:26 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: @Pckts @Pantherinae 
@ "Roflcopters"

One thing that I would like to add is though gaurs are the biggest prey available for central Indian tigers , bringing down a gaur s no easy task and except kolsa I haven't heard of any other place in central India where tigers prey on gaurs on a regular basis ... Gaurs are definitely on the list but not the staple diet ... Mostly it will be cheetals , sambar n boars.

imo that's where the nutorious cattle killers have disticnt advantage , for a tiger to gain bulk it has to eat as much as possible and spend as little energy as possible ...

So for a tiger living in the core area doesn't have the luxury of having cattle on it's menu , and especially with the new anti slaughter laws in states of mp and Maharashtra theres an abundance of adandoned stray cattle in the areas surrounding the buffer jungle and they do stray into the jungles also.

I myself had seen on one occasion where khali had killed three buffalos and carcass just lying at hardly 50 mtrs apart.
And buffer zones especially in tadoba the natural prey density is very less compared to core zones .

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 12-30-2019

(12-29-2019, 11:53 PM)Junglelores Wrote:
(12-29-2019, 12:26 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: @Pckts @Pantherinae 
@ "Roflcopters"

One thing that I would like to add is though gaurs are the biggest prey available for central Indian tigers , bringing down a gaur s no easy task and except kolsa I haven't heard of any other place in central India where tigers prey on gaurs on a regular basis ... Gaurs are definitely on the list but not the staple diet ... Mostly it will be cheetals , sambar n boars.

imo that's where the nutorious cattle killers have disticnt advantage , for a tiger to gain bulk it has to eat as much as possible and spend as little energy as possible ...

So for a tiger living in the core area doesn't have the luxury of having cattle on it's menu , and especially with the new anti slaughter laws in states of mp and Maharashtra theres an abundance of adandoned stray cattle in the areas surrounding the buffer jungle and they do stray into the jungles also.

I myself had seen on one occasion where khali had killed three buffalos and carcass just lying at hardly 50 mtrs apart.
And buffer zones especially in tadoba the natural prey density is very less compared to core zones .
While Gaurs are big animals and preying on them is no easy task they are preyed upon fairly commonly.
We were in Kanha for instance and CM had stashed a Gaur carcass which we could smell, I asked how often gaurs were taken and the driver said often which I believe since their numbers were so much higher there. Kanha is so massive with much more elevation changes and big sal trees that it makes viewing any predation or feeding more difficult.
Sambar and Barasingha are also extremely common there, Tadoba has a good amount of Sambar but no Barasingha which are said to be stupid prey animals and easier to catch, only slightly smaller than Sambar they are another advantage seen in Kanha.

The flip side in Tadoba the drivers said Gaur are taken in the buffer much more often than in the core zone and I barely saw any in pench so I doubt they're as common there.
No Gaur numbers matched the amount I saw in Kanha, it wasn't close as well as the Gaurs being much larger in Kanha from what I could see as well. 

In regards to Cattle killers, all central indian parks have access to them, Babdhavgarh may have the most notorious cattle killers of all but Kanha has villages right at the entry gate and cattle is everywhere, I'm sure they have access to them just as easy as anywhere else.
Even in Ranthambore you see huge amounts of cattle taken yet their Tigers have a lean look, for the most part cattle killers tend to look like Mr. X from Bandhavgarh or KG male from Kanha, both are notorious cattle killers and have the more soft body composition.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Junglelores - 12-30-2019

(12-28-2019, 08:00 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 07:49 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: that bahgoda male from pench is pretty big too mukhtar aswell @Pckts

Forgot about Mukhtar, hes a bulky boy too.

@Roflcopters

The prey in Kanha is far more abundant, Gaur graze in huge numbers in Kanha, they are also larger there compared to Tadoba, same with the Sambar as well as having Barasingha in Kanha too.
I'd have to disagree that any of the Tigers you named are larger than the Kanha Tigers. Tigers like Bheema, Kingfisher, CM, Umarpani, Bajrang, KG, T46 and T50 *new males in mukki* are all larger than any Tadoba Tiger imo.

Gabbar for instance was a 185kg Tiger, he was close in size to Saturn and another male, all dominate in Tadoba, compared to M2 who was 10kg heavier than Gabbar as a sub adult and was dwarfed by Umarpani, I'd say that's fairly evident that males those size would be ran out of Kanha fairly fast.
Now you have Matkasur who's for sure smaller than Mr. X and CM yet hes been dominate for some time in tadoba, usually dominance is directly correlated with size, maybe not every case but most of the time and with that being the case, Tadoba shouldn't have smaller males be dominate so often but that's the case, as with Gabbar, Saturn, Matkasur, etc.
Even more telling are the females, you have small male genes floating around and even smaller female genes with Choti Tara and Maya who are both dwarfed by Kanha Females.

Talking abt matkasurs domination in tadoba ...I have a personal opinion just lemme know what u guys think abt it 
The area ruled by matkasur s the most prime area for tourists and daily there are minimum 30-40 gypsy's searching for a tiger all over his territory.
Matkasurs major rivals being bajrang , navegaon male ,gabbar in btw r so shy and just will do anything to avoid being seen by tourists .

Only a male tiger like matkasur who  has the patience to deal with all the tamasha that takes place at pandherpauni s , jamni  ,tadoba lake can survive thr...and thrs no way u can avoid tourists if u want  to rule over ths parts of tadoba ...

From the time matkasur made his first appearance till now , his life has been very difficult he keeps getting into territorial battles frequently and is seen all bruised and limping ...but as other males don't prefer sticking around in ths area matkasur very smartly continues to rule around ... But all that s over as he has been dethroned by the shivanjhari brothers .Both brothers are used to seeing tourists from a very young age so the long lines of gypsy with noisy tourists won't bother them much I guess.

(12-30-2019, 12:20 AM)Junglelores Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 08:00 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 07:49 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: that bahgoda male from pench is pretty big too mukhtar aswell @Pckts

Forgot about Mukhtar, hes a bulky boy too.

@Roflcopters

The prey in Kanha is far more abundant, Gaur graze in huge numbers in Kanha, they are also larger there compared to Tadoba, same with the Sambar as well as having Barasingha in Kanha too.
I'd have to disagree that any of the Tigers you named are larger than the Kanha Tigers. Tigers like Bheema, Kingfisher, CM, Umarpani, Bajrang, KG, T46 and T50 *new males in mukki* are all larger than any Tadoba Tiger imo.

Gabbar for instance was a 185kg Tiger, he was close in size to Saturn and another male, all dominate in Tadoba, compared to M2 who was 10kg heavier than Gabbar as a sub adult and was dwarfed by Umarpani, I'd say that's fairly evident that males those size would be ran out of Kanha fairly fast.
Now you have Matkasur who's for sure smaller than Mr. X and CM yet hes been dominate for some time in tadoba, usually dominance is directly correlated with size, maybe not every case but most of the time and with that being the case, Tadoba shouldn't have smaller males be dominate so often but that's the case, as with Gabbar, Saturn, Matkasur, etc.
Even more telling are the females, you have small male genes floating around and even smaller female genes with Choti Tara and Maya who are both dwarfed by Kanha Females.

Talking abt matkasurs domination in tadoba ...I have a personal opinion just lemme know what u guys think abt it 
The area ruled by matkasur s the most prime area for tourists and daily there are minimum 30-40 gypsy's searching for a tiger all over his territory.
Matkasurs major rivals being bajrang , navegaon male ,gabbar in btw r so shy and just will do anything to avoid being seen by tourists .

Only a male tiger like matkasur who  has the patience to deal with all the tamasha that takes place at pandherpauni s , jamni  ,tadoba lake can survive thr...and thrs no way u can avoid tourists if u want  to rule over ths parts of tadoba ...

From the time matkasur made his first appearance till now , his life has been very difficult he keeps getting into territorial battles frequently and is seen all bruised and limping ...but as other males don't prefer sticking around in ths area matkasur very smartly continues to rule around ... But all that s over as he has been dethroned by the shivanjhari brothers .Both brothers are used to seeing tourists from a very young age so the long lines of gypsy with noisy tourists won't bother them much I guess.
I'll agree with that, I saw the Navegaon male and female, both were very shy but they did have cubs in the area so they were sticking around despite the absurd amount of gypsies that would search for them.
The flip side is that Choti Tara and her 2 cubs at the time gave us a road show for 30 minutes despite having 20+ gypsies following them from behind and reversing with them as they walked past.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rage2277 - 12-30-2019

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rage2277 - 12-30-2019

(12-30-2019, 07:16 AM)Rage2277 Wrote:

Mamu is such a magnificent Tiger, he's always been one of my favorites.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 12-31-2019

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rage2277 - 01-02-2020

Peter Van de Wetering-‎ 

T151 without cub on her way to the look out point (7 nov. 2019).

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Junglelores - 01-04-2020

@Pckts 
@Roflecopters

In one of your previous posts abt size of male tigers of kanha and tadoba u have said that female tigress from tadoba are much smaller compared to the ones in kanha .....
It's kinda wrong impression most ppl make just by looking at Maya , choti Tara etc
But that's not the the truth there are females who are much bigger than them...
Here s one such tigress can be easily mistaken to be a male

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Junglelores - 01-04-2020

Anyone got complete video of umarpani vs jamuntola ...??

https://www.facebook.com/groups/191717714668432/permalink/766281803878684/

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rage2277 - 01-05-2020

i wonder if this is the first time those two have met

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 01-05-2020

(12-30-2019, 02:21 PM)Rage2277 Wrote:

(01-04-2020, 11:59 PM)Junglelores Wrote: Anyone got complete video of umarpani vs jamuntola ...??

https://www.facebook.com/groups/191717714668432/permalink/766281803878684/

I haven't been able to find any other videos but I can't imagine Jamuntola having much luck in defeating Umarpani.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 01-07-2020

Jeswin Kingsly
While we were following the female suddenly all the car stopped in front of us saying there is an other male tiger (Umarpani male) coming opposite to her.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Ankit Kankane
Today Evening Mukki Zone....DJ Female And Umarpani Male.

One more Video from where this picture came from 

Scroll through the comment section here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10221025594818713&set=gm.1243371025869184&type=3&theater
to see it, I can't post the video unfortunately.