WildFact
B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India (/topic-b2-and-other-great-tiger-pics-from-india)

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rishi - 10-17-2017

(10-17-2017, 05:06 AM)Roflcopters Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

Old picture of Tiger Tank male from Nagarhole, february/2012

Khali from Agarzari Buffer, May/2017

T42 aka Fateh on his cattle kill. 

Male tiger from Chitwan, Nepal.

Old photo of Bokha mating, early 2010

King of Umred Karhandla, Jaychand the prodigy of late Jay. half brother of Bittu, Srinavasa and the biggest male son of Jay. Both Bittu and Srinivasa weighed 230 kilograms by the time they reached 32 months of age. hard to imagine how he would tip the scale if they ever weigh him. absolute monster of a male he turned out to be, a true king of Umred carrying his father's legacy. June/2017

Hey, for some reason i can see only the last image. Could you please PM them to me, or use this image hosting site Postimages?

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rishi - 10-17-2017

Agarzari is buffer of Tadoba, & this was clearly not taken in Corbett...
How many Khalis are there? What is the current status of Corbett's famous Khali?.. Anybody knows..?

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Apollo - 10-17-2017

(10-17-2017, 11:11 AM)Rishi Wrote:

How many Khalis are there? What is the current status of Corbett's famous Khali?.. Anybody knows..?

The Khali from Corbett would be dead by now (most probably).
This is a different Khali from Tadoba, he is said to be a tall tiger.

But remember the Khali from Corbett is a massive monster in size compared to the Khali from Tadoba.

Among the known central Indian tigers, Waghdoh is undoubtedly the biggest male in its prime.
Here is a info from a guy named Sanjay Nair. Who as seen prime Waghdoh, Khali and the mighty Tyson.
He talks about all 3.

"Although I am a couple of years late in this discussion, and there is no denying the fact that Wagdoh is huge, I have seen bigger Tigers in the sub-himalayan foothills. There was a tiger called Khali (Named after the wrestler) in Corbett who was immense. This was in 2011 when Wagdoh ruled the Tadoba grasslands. Similarly, there was an unnamed tiger in the Dhikala area who was as big as a baby bison. So, yes, I admit that spotting Wagdoh is always special, but he’s not really the biggest male Tiger in India. And if you are heading to Tadoba now, he’s in the buffer zone. :)"

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - SuSpicious - 10-18-2017

(10-17-2017, 11:48 AM)Apollo Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 11:11 AM)Rishi Wrote:

The Khali from Corbett would be dead by now (most probably).
This is a different Khali from Tadoba, he is said to be a tall tiger.

But remember the Khali from Corbett is a massive monster in size compared to the Khali from Tadoba.

Among the known central Indian tigers, Waghdoh is undoubtedly the biggest male in its prime.
Here is a info from a guy named Sanjay Nair. Who as seen prime Waghdoh, Khali and the mighty Tyson.
He talks about all 3.

"Although I am a couple of years late in this discussion, and there is no denying the fact that Wagdoh is huge, I have seen bigger Tigers in the sub-himalayan foothills. There was a tiger called Khali (Named after the wrestler) in Corbett who was immense. This was in 2011 when Wagdoh ruled the Tadoba grasslands. Similarly, there was an unnamed tiger in the Dhikala area who was as big as a baby bison. So, yes, I admit that spotting Wagdoh is always special, but he’s not really the biggest male Tiger in India. And if you are heading to Tadoba now, he’s in the buffer zone. :)"

The Original Khali as Apolo said was from Corbett. He was the dominant male tiger in the Bijrani region of the park and was most active during year 2008-2010. During the flood of 2010 many thought that he died but he was again sighted in 2011 officially.

He never lost any fight officially so we can assume that the old chap just died with glory due to old age. His fight with Bhola got pretty famous and I am sure alot of you must have seen that video. Khali (he was past his prime at the time of the fight) absolutely dwarfed Bhola.My father has seen both Khali and Bhola and he said Bhola was not a small tiger by any means. So we we can assume how huge Khali was.

The Khali name is these days used alot for new male tigers that are huge by any means.

Tyson was a big male who came after the reign of Khali in the park. He was being photographed even before he was 2 years old and at that time he was as big as any dominant male tiger in prime. I had the privilege of seeing Tyson and the images didn't lie. Being a subadult he was huge. But I haven't seen any recent images of him myself.

Growing up around Corbett I can assure you there is not just Tyson rather many baby bison sized males in Corbett but tigers are hardly tracked in the park and therefore no information is available on them.

Infact at present rumour is that there is a giant (by Corbett's standard) male in the 'Gairal' region but no one has any information on it. Corbett and Kaziranga has the biggest males around and yet these two parks have the least amount of research done on the same.

Anyways I myself have seen Wagdoh.He is magical. But yes just as everyone says he is not the biggest Indian tiger. Infact the late Pandit(Son of Sharmelee) was bigger than him as a subadult.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Roflcopters - 10-18-2017

Are you saying Pandit was bigger than Prime Wagdoh as a sub adult? Im not sure i agree with that, Central Indian tigers don't really have the same coat as Northern Males and i think that plays a huge factor when people compare the two. there are plenty of males from Central India that easily rival Corbett Khali's size.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - SuSpicious - 10-18-2017

(10-18-2017, 06:21 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: Are you saying Pandit was bigger than Prime Wagdoh as a sub adult? Im not sure i agree with that, Central Indian tigers don't really have the same coat as Northern Males and i think that plays a huge factor when people compare the two. there are plenty of males from Central India that easily rival Corbett Khali's size.

@Roflcopters  I totally respect your opinion. However I will still stick to what I said.

1. I have seen both Pandit and Waghdoh from close range. Maybe Waghdoh had more weight because of the body mass but I am sure framewise Pandit was bigger and he would have achieved the weight with age.

2. I agree that Central Indians tigers have a different coat. But people actually compare tigers from pictures and sometimes that is a problem. In fact people never take Corbett males seriously since they don't pack the "Being Bulky" factor in the images. I will also tell you the reason for that. Corbett tigers are long and have a larger frame. Most of them are rather sleek but built like a fit machine. So in images they don't too seem heavy. Reality is they are really big as many people claim them to be. I support this point because I have seen plenty of males both in Corbett and Central India. Its only when you see Corbett tigers with naked eye will you realize how big they are actually in reality. 

3. As for Khali #2 is the reason why many readers don't think Khali was as big as people from the park said him to be. Also, Khali although huge was  never the biggest in Corbett. There has been and are biggers one's compared to him. Most of them are never given a name or researched upon and that is the problem.

As for Central Indian Tigers, they are one of my favourites. Just that I have seen alot of Tigers in my life with naked eye and I stand by my point that quite a few Tigers in the sub Himalayan belt(Mostly Terai and Core Corbett) are bigger by quite a margin compared to any other tigers in India barring the mighty Kazirangans.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rishi - 10-18-2017

Ravan, the resident male of Satpura Tiger Reserve Tourism-zone...

Unnamed young male from Satpura Tiger Reserve...

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 10-19-2017

Mrityunjay Kanwar
Tigress in Heavy Rain...

Tadoba.

Madhuri.

Oct17.
#TigersOfIndia.

Vasudev H Masarakall
Be alert !!

Captured from the woods of south india forest !!

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - peter - 10-19-2017

(10-18-2017, 06:49 AM)$uSpiciou$ Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 06:21 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: Are you saying Pandit was bigger than Prime Wagdoh as a sub adult? Im not sure i agree with that, Central Indian tigers don't really have the same coat as Northern Males and i think that plays a huge factor when people compare the two. there are plenty of males from Central India that easily rival Corbett Khali's size.

@Roflcopters  I totally respect your opinion. However I will still stick to what I said.

1. I have seen both Pandit and Waghdoh from close range. Maybe Waghdoh had more weight because of the body mass but I am sure framewise Pandit was bigger and he would have achieved the weight with age.

2. I agree that Central Indians tigers have a different coat. But people actually compare tigers from pictures and sometimes that is a problem. In fact people never take Corbett males seriously since they don't pack the "Being Bulky" factor in the images. I will also tell you the reason for that. Corbett tigers are long and have a larger frame. Most of them are rather sleek but built like a fit machine. So in images they don't too seem heavy. Reality is they are really big as many people claim them to be. I support this point because I have seen plenty of males both in Corbett and Central India. Its only when you see Corbett tigers with naked eye will you realize how big they are actually in reality. 

3. As for Khali #2 is the reason why many readers don't think Khali was as big as people from the park said him to be. Also, Khali although huge was  never the biggest in Corbett. There has been and are biggers one's compared to him. Most of them are never given a name or researched upon and that is the problem.

As for Central Indian Tigers, they are one of my favourites. Just that I have seen alot of Tigers in my life with naked eye and I stand by my point that quite a few Tigers in the sub Himalayan belt(Mostly Terai and Core Corbett) are bigger by quite a margin compared to any other tigers in India barring the mighty Kazirangans.

The information I have on size up to, say, 1940 strongly suggests that tigers in northern India were both longer and heavier than those in other regions. Nepal tigers, and those in Royal Chitwan in particular, topped the list, but those living just south and west of Nepal were close. 

In the last decades of the 19th century, the Maharajah of Cooch Behar and his guests shot almost 400 tigers in the northeastern part of India. The book he wrote has a wealth of information on size. Some time ago, I posted a number of tables in the tiger extinction thread. Males averaged about 9.8 in total length measured 'over curves' and just over 460 pounds. Compared to males shot in Central India (referring to Dunbar Brander and a few others), they were about as long, but 40 pounds heavier. This although the sample from northeastern India lacked exceptional individuals. The longest shot by the Maharajah and his guests measured 9.10 in total length in a straight line, whereas three large individuals shot in the Central Provinces were 10.3, 10.2 and 9.11. The 9.11 tiger had a short tail and was very heavy. A century ago, tigers shot in the Central Provinces, compared to tigers shot in Nepal and northern India, were a bit smaller. The largest individuals, however, more or less compared. In length, I mean. Not weight.

The info on the size of tigers shot in northern India is quite abundant and reliable. Based on what was provided by Corbett, Hewett and some others, I concluded that the average of adult males in northern India was about 9.5 - 9.6 in total length measured in a straight line. I'm not too sure about weight, but the average I found was well over 460 pounds for males in those days.

The tigers shot in Cooch Behar, the Duars and Assam, however, had large skulls. Although some males ranged between 365 - 400 mm. in greatest total skull length, females in particular stood out in this respect. 

Based on what I read, one could say that average-sized (referring to length) and bulky tigers with large skulls often seem larger than tigers with a more 'classical' appearance. Tigers in northern India and Nepal operate in the classical-appearance department and could be a bit underestimated as a result. Those who saw tigers think these Himalayan tigers are the largest by a margin today, but some heavyweights from southern and central India could compare to the largest males in northern India and Nepal. Tigers in Kaziranha and Manas seem out of this world at times, but my guess is that the difference with other regions will be more visible in females.

Most unfortunately, there's not much on the size of tigers today. What we have, suggests that tigers in India, if anything, are a bit larger and heavier than a century ago. Two males weighed in the last decades of the previous century in Nepal bottomed a 600-pound scale. I wonder about the weight of some of the males seen in Kazirangha. Same for the male who featured in one of the last posts in the tiger extinction thread. The 'rhinokiller' is in the classical-appearance department, but he most probably is a very large individual.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 10-19-2017

My 2 cents...

Tigers with an abundance of Bovine are going to be heavier than Tigers w/out.
Ranthambhore and Corbett could very well have Taller Tigers but I think it's more of an optical illusion. They don't have the mass to length ratio and thus look taller. I have heard that Corbett tigers are very large so I'm sure they are but I have a hard time believing that a Tiger who lives off Chital and Sambar would be larger (heavier) than Tigers who live off the same in addition to Gaur, Water Buffalo, Rhino (calves mostly) etc. 

Now in Regards to Wagdoh, I know from my friend/guide who's seen him, Munna, Sangam male and many other tigers, that Wagdoh is the bulkiest Tiger he has ever seen. He's similar height to Munna, Matkasur, Sangam male but he's longer and more robust according to him. But let me also say this, many guides who have seen many Tigers usually have slightly different opinions on who's the "Largest" in the their park, most of the time I got this answer, "it's too hard to tell who's larger, they are all very close" which I took as this meaning, trying to determine a cat being 450lbs or 550lbs, 3' at the shoulder or 3.6' at the shoulder, 6' long or 6.6' long, etc. is very hard to do with the naked eye, you're never going to get a consensus. 

If I were to wager on where the heaviest tigers reside my money would go towards most of the Terai Arc, Kanha and Kaziranga. 
That doesn't mean they are the largest tigers in frame, just most likely to be heavier IMO.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Roflcopters - 10-19-2017

@$uSpiciou$

I get what you're saying, frame wise i havent seen many tigers from Central India that could match most Northern males. however tigers like Wagdoh, Jay, Umarpani, Old Banda, Khursapar, Madla and countless others (known to tourists) are an exception to that rule. i still find Dudhwa, Rajaji and Corbett males a triffle bit longer on average. just my personal observation and from what i have heard from people and based on past records. Ranthambore tigers are also very interesting in their structure, most males when they reach full maturity tend to grow very tall at shoulders, long and robust but not robust like Central Indian males. they are certainly on a league of their own when it comes to robustness. prime Wagdoh, prime Bamera, prime old Banda, prime Konda, prime Kf, prime Umarpani and a long list of other specimens from Central India. plenty of sub adults at 2.5 years of age bulking up to extreme weights of 225kg and not just one specimen. son of BMW and baghin nala that died a few years ago weighed 225kg as a sub adult, bheema at 2.5 years weighed 225kg, Jay's two male cubs bittu and srinivasa both weighed 230kg at 2.5 years old. talk about sub adult males on steroids. little is known about South India and from what i have seen. prime and established resident males of Bandipur, Wayanad and Nagarhole are easily on par with some of the biggest males Country wide. Kaziranga, Bhutan and all sides of Terai (Nepal) are probably in a different league overall (length, height, weight) Camera trap pics of , Orang, high elevation bhutan males, kaziranga, manas, Shuklaphanta, bardia, chitwan are the real deal. Just my two cents.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Roflcopters - 10-25-2017

male cubs from Bhadra tiger reserve going seperate ways after fighting, December/2016.

Resident male from Bhadra Backwater- March/2017.

Same male on the move - March/2017.

Same guy - early 2017.

Same guy

Posing

Angry male tiger charging at people. Bardia, Nepal - early 2017.

male tiger going back into the bushes after spotting people. Bardia, Nepal - early 2017.

Male tiger from Wayanad tiger reserve, Feb/07/2017.

Same guy

like father, like son. Basavanakatte male of Bandipur tiger reserve and the son of late Raja. Monsoons/2017.

Male tiger from Mudumalai crossing the road, March/2017.

Male tiger from Mudumalai tiger reserve. March/2017.

Grand entry of the same male

on the move

side profile

walking to the waterhole

side profile

for identification purposes, a face shot.

Tiger from Northern India, early 2017.

Gulrighat male of zone 1, Dudhwa - May/2017.

Gulrighat male - April/2016.

Gulrighat male - early/2017.

Giant Gulrighat male on the move - march/2017.

Kaziranga female, May/2017.

Tarachand, son of Matkasur and Choti tara. early 2017.

The Emperor Matkasur and Maya. early 2017.

Rana, son of Narasimha and Jharna. early 2017.

Camera trap photo of a male tiger babysitting cubs. Katarnaghiat - early 2017.

Two sub adult males fighting, Katarnaghiat - late 2016.

camera trap photo of MDT 19 male from Mudumalai, late 2016.

camera trap photo of MDT 27 male from Mudumalai, late 2016.

large resident male from Mudumalai following a tigress, late 2016.

chasing the queen