WildFact
B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India (/topic-b2-and-other-great-tiger-pics-from-india)

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - tigerluver - 05-17-2016

In the Amur post, I did not bother postng the chest diameter but I'll go back and post it later.

Top photo:
Without correcting anything for perspective:
The male is 1.08x the length of the female but the male is at a shortening angle.
His chest diameter is 1.41x that of the female's, however.

Bottom photo:
Male's length in this one is 1.40x the female's, but the female is at a shortening angle.
Male's chest girth is 1.37x that of the female's.

Not exactly sure how much to compensate for the male being closer in the photo. Perhaps the male is 1.10x the female's length (average the two photos and deduct for his positioning) and the his girth is 1.25x the female's with the same compensations. 

So say the female is 130 kg, isometry results in:
Length based: 1.10^3 * 130 kg = 173 kg
Chest diameter: 1.25^3 * 130 kg = 254 kg
Avg. = 214 kg

If I compensated the male too much, we could say 1.15x length (198 kg) and 1.3x girth (286 kg) at best, which using the above method would come to 242 kg. I'd put this number as the high end and would prefer the more conservative numbers above. All in all, the male is stockier than the female but not much longer.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 05-17-2016

I'm with you, he looks to be much thicker and taller, not necessarily much longer. I  think the 214kg average would be a very nice mark.
If I were estimating, I'd put his weight around that area, maybe a tad more.
Well done yet again, I find it interesting the way you're able to use technology to estimate these cats and show us the true sexual dimorphism that occurs.
Great job

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rage2277 - 05-17-2016

the tadoba boy is the matkasur male

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - tigerluver - 05-17-2016

Are there any photos of Jai or T24 in the same frame as a female? It'd be interesting to see how the photo estimates would compare to their real weights.

I'll look tomorrow, if you check out the "largest individuals thread" I'd like to see the one of pandit and his mom sharmili. He's only 2ish in the photo so he's not quite filled out yet but he's still very large next to her.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Vijay Rajan - 05-17-2016

(05-16-2016, 09:31 PM)Pckts Wrote: PC Naren Malik
JAB THEY MET.....

*This image is copyright of its original author

Who is this male and female? From Kahna
'Pckts, that\'s Kingfisher Male & the Umarjhola Female at Sondar Tank, Mukki. Interestingly, she has mated with Kingfisher as well as Link-7 Male (Chota Munna) in the last year or so and hangs out with whichever Male pays her a visit.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - SANTU D G - 05-17-2016

[attachment=276][attachment=277]Another 2 images of the arrow head tigress from Ranthambore ,March 2016.

ST2 from Sariska, she is a monster female, probably one of the largest ever weighed. 170kg at 3years old is the top tier of Tigress weight in my opinion.

St2 tigerss way cross captured spotted dear male going to buses photography Ajay Kumar Sariska
https://www.facebook.com/100011450723144/videos/229693207422368/

and St3 is no slouch herself
St3 tigress sariska national park
https://www.facebook.com/100011450723144/videos/229689684089387/

Sariska Male and Female (unknown)

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Tshokwane - 05-17-2016

Munna, credits to Devendra Singh Naruka

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Apollo - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 09:07 PM)Pckts Wrote: ST2 from Sariska, she is a monster female, probably one of the largest ever weighed. 170kg at 3years old is the top tier of Tigress weight in my opinion.

Hi @Pckts,

Among the 3 sisters(T17, T18, T19) Sundari (T17) was the more dominant one, she challenged her mother (T16) and dethrowned her,  I guess Krishna (T19) was slighlty larger than the other 2 sisters.
Machli (T16) was still bigger than all 3 daughters of her when they were around 3 years old.
Look at that documentary for size comparison.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rage2277 - 05-18-2016

Mala T39 may 2016

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Rage2277 - 05-18-2016

one of ondrilla and jobhi's boys may 2016..solid like paps

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 05-18-2016

Oldy but a goodie, looks like the FD has been helping machli for a few years now.

Mahip Vyas
June 1, 2013

This is a very interesting incident. One afternoon, T16 Machchli Tigress came within 200 mts of T25 Male & T19 Female couple's leisure time. T16 Female was aggressively confronted by T25 Male for a territory fight and he charged atleast 100 mts towards her. T16 Female backed off few mts. Within 10 minutes Forest guards were informed about the incident and they came to settle the fight. The guards had to drive inside the jungle to scare away the old T16 Machchli Tigress else T-25 Male would have killed her in territory fight. T16 is a legendary tigress and the oldest tigress at Ranthambore, the guards make sure that she gets food on time (as she cannot hunt with only one canine) and is always protected by the guards. [Ranthambhore National Park, India. Apr 2013]

What a tigress!

@tigerluver
Check this one out, I think its perfect! He's a little further away and the tree obviously blocks his chest girth but length should be visible
Raag Photography
Tera peechha na chhoduga sonyie....
T25 male tiger following T19 tigress
Ranthambore , Apr-13

T19 is the largest of the sisters and T17 was 170kg so lets use that mark for T19 as well.
Ranthambhore Tigers must really be monsters, I'm excited to see what you come up with.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - tigerluver - 05-18-2016

T25 and T19:

First what is on the plain of the image (no adjustments). T25 is 1.085x longer and 1.093x larger in chest diameter.

In terms of correction, T25 has his head more tucked in, so from the plain of the image one could say he is 1.09x longer.

Now in terms of perspective, T25 is further back than T17. I think compensating by increasing the length difference to 1.11x and girth difference to 1.113x would be okay, maybe a bit too conservative but we'll stick with this for the first set of calculations.

So to estimate mass:
Length based mass = 1.11^3 * 170 kg = 233 kg
Chest based mass = 1.113^3 * 170 kg = 234 kg
Both values are functionally the same.

Now a caveat is that if you look at how much difference being even a meter behind another object will shrink the object further back, the aforementioned compensation is likely too little. Maybe compensating both difference ratios to 1.13x-1.15x would be more accurate, which is a mass of 245-260 kg, similar to T24.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 05-18-2016

(05-18-2016, 02:08 AM)tigerluver Wrote: T25 and T19:

First what is on the plain of the image (no adjustments). T25 is 1.085x longer and 1.093x larger in chest diameter.

In terms of correction, T25 has his head more tucked in, so from the plain of the image one could say he is 1.09x longer.

Now in terms of perspective, T25 is further back than T17. I think compensating by increasing the length difference to 1.11x and girth difference to 1.113x would be okay, maybe a bit too conservative but we'll stick with this for the first set of calculations.

So to estimate mass:
Length based mass = 1.11^3 * 170 kg = 233 kg
Chest based mass = 1.113^3 * 170 kg = 234 kg
Both values are functionally the same.

Now a caveat is that if you look at how much difference being even a meter behind another object will shrink the object further back, the aforementioned compensation is likely too little. Maybe compensating both difference ratios to 1.13x-1.15x would be more accurate, which is a mass of 245-260 kg, similar to T24.
The next thing is to compare T25 to T28 since both mated with the same female. But unfortunately there is no real image to compare the both of them well enough, my guess is both are close in size, just like T24.
What is interesting is that Ranthambhore could possibly have one of the highest averaged sized male population in all of india.