WildFact
B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India (/topic-b2-and-other-great-tiger-pics-from-india)

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Sully - 04-17-2016

*This image is copyright of its original author

Tyson, Corbett

Tyson again

Shivaji – The Boss
March 2, 2015Wild EncountersTadoba, Tiger
A full moon rose as the drone of cicadas filled the air, it was an unusually quiet night. I was experiencing my first ever ‘Solo travel’, a term that I was introduced to recently.
“Was this a bad call?” I asked myself in complete disbelief.
Shalik, an eco-tourism maestro at Tadoba had hosted me in his office for a 6 night stay. Yes, you read that right. Since I was travelling on a shoe-string budget, staying in his office space located at the fringe of the tiger reserve was my best bet.
Just a few minutes before my game drive the next morning, I was told by one of my rather intelligent friends that I should visit Kolsa range instead of the most-famous Telia. It made complete sense to go-for-it as I had an entire jeep for myself that day. Without having to share it with anyone else, I could make my decision of choosing my route. Besides, I had the next five days to explore Telia in any case! My driver Nitesh and naturalist Nilkanth were in complete disagreement, they prophesized a higher probability of ‘seeing’ tigers at Telia. But, I was adamant.
True to all the ‘warnings’ that I had received, Kolsa was less touristy, in fact it was over 30 minutes into the park and I had seen no other tourists at all! It was just me, the driver and our naturalist in the jeep. Quite honestly, it was the most boring game drives ever –the forest was dry, with absolutely no animal moment. The drive was so boring that I fell asleep in the jeep until I was woken up by the sound made by rustling of leaves.  The first thing I saw when I opened my eye was a huge leap made by a male spotted deer. Slowly but surely my eyes were shutting off again, as I kept wondering what made this deer leap.

The next thing I remember is Nilkanth’s hushed voice calling out “Tiger!Tiger!Tiger!”. For a moment, I thought he was pulling my leg as he had seen me dozing off in the safari jeep! But soon Nitesh started backing up the jeep, that’s when I realized that they were not teasing me. I rubbed my sleepy eyes and tried to see in the same direction as was Nilkanth.
There it was – the majestic master of orange and black sitting amidst the bamboo tickets, in slush – a typical tiger habitat that you would read in the books. Without even thinking about the angle or settings on my camera, I made a couple of burst shots, a typical behavior seen in most amateur photographers. Of course it is logical as one would fear that the tiger would melt into the jungle soon.

Out of pure curiosity, I stopped shooting and glanced at Nilkanth, wondering what goes through a naturalist’s mind after spotting the game. He seemed more excited than I was. At that point, I decided to ask him what was on his mind.
Nilkanth had recognized this tiger as Shivaji. “Shivaji is the biggest tiger in Kolsa zone ma’am, no one has seen him in a very long time. I had feared the worst for him. But today, I am extremely happy to see my Tiger in good shape” he said. Just these three sentences, made me acknowledge the fact that not only was Nilkanth passionate, but also factual, observant and connected to individual tigers in a way you and I cannot imagine!
Shivaji sat there for over 30 minutes, altering his actions between cleaning his paw, yawning and staring at Nilkanth – it seemed like they shared a deep connection.
But soon my fear displaced this pleasant feeling as Shivaji suddenly rose from the dark slush making his gigantic physique apparent. As if that was not enough, he gave a deafening growl which almost punctured my ear drum! To get a better view, I was standing on the last seat of our three compartment jeep. I turned around to tell my driver to back-off the jeep as I saw Shivaji’s walking with a deliberate slow gait towards our jeep.

But to get a “better” picture of Shivaji from his mobile camera, my jeep driver had left his seat and moved to the same seat as I was!
Sure, I have seen tigers before. But this day was different; imagine just 3 of us in a jeep with no driver in his seat, and this huge guy staring at us from just about 15 feet. All he had to do was one big leap and he would be with us in the jeep. No way we could have made it that day, had Shivaji decided to attack us.  There is only little that you can do in such situations, and I resorted to “Hanuman Chalis” that day.

“Take good pictures madam” I heard a voice, I wanted to beat up whoever said that. I could barely hold my camera. I was trembling with fear, the battle of nerves had begun.I clearly remember at that point I was clinching Nitesh’s shirt and begging him to leave. Now that I am alive and writing this, you all can probably guess that he did not jump into our jeep instead he chose to walk away from us elegantly.

I looked at Nitesh and Nilkanth with a sigh; I still don’t understand why they were laughing at me. I managed to calm myself as I saw Nitesh go to his assigned seat.  Before, I could speak he started backing the jeep with a quest to follow it – How brave are these people I thought to myself. Instead of showing my appreciation for their brave act I decided to resent the idea of following it. Although at that point, I quoted “Let’s not disturb Shivaji” as the reason, I am convinced that it was mainly because of my underlining fear.I am sure, although the boys didn’t express they must have thought of me as a “Fool” to let go of such an opportunity of tracking Shivaji. But honestly, I had had enough!

As we moved forward we saw a jeep coming from the opposite end, it was the only other jeep I had seen in my safari that day. It also was carrying a single guest , but I deemed he was a regular guest. Nitesh and Nilkanth greeted him. What surprised me was these first few words from him “I am looking for Shivaji”. It was then that I realized about Shivaji’s fame. Nitesh briefed about the direction in which Shivaji moved and how scared and non-cooperative I was to follow him. I sincerely hoped that this guest got a glimpse of the mighty Shivaji too. If not like what I experienced, something better!
As I returned to my “office-stay”, I called my friend wondering if I had to thank him or yell at him for suggesting Kolsa. But, it sure was an experience that I had to share!
– Sampada Rao

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 04-17-2016

Machli has been sighted recently
http://www.tigerwalah.com/queen-machli-visits-old-home/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Shardul - 04-17-2016

(04-17-2016, 03:43 PM)SVTIGRIS Wrote: The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum Presents:
The Plight of Tigers in India - by John Isaac
Edited by James Morrissey

This article was previously published in 2010, but lost during our forum migration. It is with great pleasure that we are re-posting it here today.

If something drastic isn’t done soon, conservationists say the tiger will cease to exist in the wild in as little as five years. I hope that awareness can help bring action to help save these amazing animals.

This was published in 2010. So that means the tiger should have gone extinct last year. What happened? Why are we still seeing tigers? Are the pictures we see real? I am confused.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - brotherbear - 04-17-2016

Shardul, I am happy that their prediction was wrong. To lose what I personally consider to be earth's greatest terrestrial predator would be a most terrible tragedy. 

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Shardul - 04-17-2016

(04-17-2016, 09:59 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Shardul, I am happy that their prediction was wrong. To lose what I personally consider to be earth's greatest terrestrial predator would be a most terrible tragedy. 

Brotherbear, people have been making such predictions since the last 4 decades, only to be proven wrong every time.

I am sure the person who wrote this in 2010 was never asked how he came to this conclusion. I am also sure no one is going to ask him why his prediction didn't come true. But his post served its purpose. It must have made people angry at that time. But at whom? The very people who work to save the tiger.

And this is why I have a problem with such doomsday predictions. They don't do anything other than making people angry at the forest department and government, making them believe they are not doing anything to protect tigers. As a consequence of such a thought, people started abusing the forest guard who was killed by the tiger t24 in Ranthambhore, because, in their mind, those forest guards aren't doing their job. These same guards risk their lives day in & day out to protect the animal we all love, and you know how much they are paid for this? less than 200 dollars/month. Yes, that is their monthly salary.

Such predictions work because most people have a memory of a goldfish. They do not have a mind of their own and will simply lap up any ridiculous information they are provided. And people who do not do anything for tiger conservation, criticize those who do.

Some people might say this creates awareness and a sense of urgency, but I beg to differ. Awareness didn't stop poaching of tigers, elephants, rhinos and countless other species. It's only a select few people who did and still do, and it is our duty to support them.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Roflcopters - 04-18-2016

Pench, Maharashtara recently got an honorable mention from Valmik Thappar for their conservation efforts and the excellent park management the last two years. Its also evident by the sightings of tigers from the Maharashtara side. 

I'll post from my laptop sometime today if i can find the link, it was pretty interesting and from ground reality perspective. He wasnt wrong. Maharashtara is doing so much better than MP now adays. Its a shame, Pench Mp lost 9 tigers thus far and in a recent news article. A tiger died every 10 days at Pench, Mp. 

Ill see if i can get on my laptop later and post the video.

Edit: one of the late Baghin Nala tigress and BMW male cub that was rescued and sent to captivity in Kanha didnt make it, he died of an infection during his treatment. Only one cub is alive now. I hope he grows into an adult male someday and lives his share of life as a tiger, thats how it should be. RIP Baghin Nala and her 3 cubs.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Shardul - 04-18-2016

Maharashtra's three reseves Pench, Tadoba and melghat all have the Special tiger protection force in place, probably the biggest reason in curbing poaching. MP used to have the largest tiger population in India, but now Karnataka and Maharashtra have overtaken it.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Pckts - 04-18-2016

Monu Dubey Pench:
Raiyakassa male....
april 2016
pench mp

BMW 4/10

Was a delight to watch this beautiful huge hunk male called "BMW" in Pench National Park (MP),
Jan 2015, with Monu Dubey Pench
full screen recommended.

PC Credit: Nilesh Patel
TIGER JAY
AT KARHANDLA
UMRED
APRIL 2016

" Follow Me"

Star Male

@ Tipeshwar-2016
#MakeTipeshwarTigerReserve

You know who...
TRADEMARK ITSELF
BIG 'B'
TATR M.S

More from Mahman
"Mahaman male ( 4 years boy)

Bandhavgarh"

Mahaman male

Bandhavgarh National Park

Look whos back!
"" GABBAR IS BACK AGAIN IN ACTION "
Very much thanks to Ganesh Jengthe for this ..... You took a right decision ...

April 2016"

Collar has been removed from him and Choti Tara. 

Bamera son (Kankati male),
Bandhavgargh, Magadi zone, Madhya Pradesh, India. April 2016.
Clicked by my son Md. Auwais

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Sully - 04-18-2016

@Shardul I had arguments about the guard with those too stubborn to understand their tireless work and national parks in the first place. Those in the bubble of leaving the animals all together and everything will be solved (obviously fogetting poachers) need to be educated about that. However tiger numbers are increasing in the first time for forever it seems which is positive.

@shaileshsharadnaik
Im not sure but here are few others of here from recently

Tigress A Mark
Nagzira
March 2016

4/16

Tigress A Mark From Nagzira Tiger Reserve , MH.

Feb

Abhay Limaye Indeed.. We saw her at the water hole on left then she disappeared.. We knew there was a rotten carcass hidden in the bush on right so she will definitely cross .. The long wait paid off smile emoticon

· February 20 at 11:50pm

The male from Magadhi who is seen around the cemented saucer. 

Patiha male — with Vipul Ramanuj and 20 others at Bandhavgarh National Park.

He is seen with the female of the area very often these days.

RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Sully - 04-18-2016

@Pckts I'll delete mine too