WildFact
Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Questions (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-questions)
+--- Thread: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? (/topic-which-bigcat-has-widest-skull-relative-to-skull-length)

Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - Panther - 06-08-2019

Recently I viewed a few discussions from Carnivora, in which I found claims like "tigers having wider skulls relative to skull lengths". Which is also my opinion. 

But the data regarding this is very low on internet. I haven't found much of info on old AVA threads, and sadly some images are missing. 

I need the info regarding skull widths relative to skull lengths of both lions(African) and tigers (Bengal), Especially from @GuateGojira, @GrizzlyClaws and @tigerluver. Although, anyone is free to answer..

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - GrizzlyClaws - 06-09-2019

Among the recent specimens, Bengal tiger got the widest skull ratio on average.

Maybe the Amur tiger prior the genetic depression was formerly the number one?

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - Panther - 06-09-2019

(06-09-2019, 12:22 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Among the recent specimens, Bengal tiger got the widest skull ratio on average.

That is also my opinion. But can you post the data regarding it?
I mean, someone (who I'm discussing about skulls) asked me about the data..

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - Panther - 06-09-2019

I also need the answer of @Kingtheropod. Who is pretty knowledgeable in these things..

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - GrizzlyClaws - 06-09-2019

(06-09-2019, 08:23 AM)Panther Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 12:22 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Among the recent specimens, Bengal tiger got the widest skull ratio on average.

That is also my opinion. But can you post the data regarding it?
I mean, someone (who I'm discussing about skulls) asked me about the data..

@tigerluver has just conducted some groundbreaking studies about the prehistoric tigers.

Bengal and Amur since that time were already belonged to two very different clades (southern vs northern).

Without the human intervention, we could draw a better comparison when the tigers were in their natural state and maximum potential.

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - paul cooper - 06-09-2019

Also, what cat has the widest skull relative to its skull length?

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - Panther - 06-10-2019

(06-09-2019, 09:21 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: @tigerluver has just conducted some groundbreaking studies about the prehistoric tigers.

Bengal and Amur since that time were already belonged to two very different clades (southern vs northern).

Without the human intervention, we could draw a better comparison when the tigers were in their natural state and maximum potential.

@GrizzlyClaws , thanks for your effort in this thread. Guate seems like too busy at this point, but I know he'll definitely answer me if he visits this site.

It also seems like there's no use of visiting wildfact again.
Since the other posters I mentioned seems like not interested in answering my question from the beginning. I don't know, but I can say you and guate are the only honest people that I've seen on this site..

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - tigerluver - 06-10-2019

The data is scant and scattered. Unfortunately I do not remember as many sources as the others. We are very busy and most of us only have a day or two here or there to post.

Here is data on tigers from @GuateGojira .

Data from a 2012 paper on lions:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Another paper with measurements on lions (see page 5). Looks like both healthy and malformed skulls are presented separately.

Data is scant because sharing data out of publication is usually not done to protect the scientist's future work which is unfortunate. 

From my own experience the largest tiger skull I have measured was just shy of 380 mm long and 240 mm wide. The largest lion skull was a bit over 400 mm long and bit under 245 mm wide.

Neither of those were the widest skull I have seen though. That goes to a Malaysian specimen. The skull was only about 320 mm long but was 245 mm wide. The vertical ramus and masseteric fossa were exceptionally long. This cat probably had the strongest skull and jaw I have seen.

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - Panther - 06-10-2019

(06-10-2019, 10:07 PM)tigerluver Wrote: The data is scant and scattered. Unfortunately I do not remember as many sources as the others. We are very busy and most of us only have a day or two here or there to post.

Here is data on tigers from @GuateGojira .

Data from a 2012 paper on lions:

Another paper with measurements on lions (see page 5). Looks like both healthy and malformed skulls are presented separately.

Data is scant because sharing data out of publication is usually not done to protect the scientist's future work which is unfortunate. 

From my own experience the largest tiger skull I have measured was just shy of 380 mm long and 240 mm wide. The largest lion skull was a bit over 400 mm long and bit under 245 mm wide.

Neither of those were the widest skull I have seen though. That goes to a Malaysian specimen. The skull was only about 320 mm long but was 245 mm wide. The vertical ramus and masseteric fossa were exceptionally long. This cat probably had the strongest skull and jaw I have seen.

Thank you very much!

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - sanjay - 06-11-2019

Panther - Here people are volunteers.. they have other important job to do.. Sometime they miss the thing also.. so stop complaining

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - GuateGojira - 06-25-2019

(06-10-2019, 09:46 PM)Panther Wrote: Guate seems like too busy at this point, but I know he'll definitely answer me if he visits this site.

Hello @Panther. You are right, no time at all, I can barely visit the forum, and only in Monday. Disappointed

About the wide, definitelly tigers have wider skulls than lions. I will try to put information here too, but if I can't, you can check the information of tiger skulls made by Mazák and Pocock. About lions, Hollister and Roberts are about the best sources, they use wild lions and if they use a captive ones, they will mention which ones are. You can also check Rowland Ward's records of Big Game, but take care to use only those measured by him, not those by the owners because there are several exageartions in those figures. 

Greetings and until next time.

RE: Which bigcat has widest skull relative to skull length? - Panther - 06-25-2019

(06-25-2019, 03:32 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: Hello @Panther. You are right, no time at all, I can barely visit the forum, and only  in Monday. Disappointed

About the wide, definitelly tigers have wider skulls than lions. I will try to put information here too, but if I can't, you can check the information of tiger skulls made by Mazák and Pocock. About lions, Hollister and Roberts are about the best sources, they use wild lions and if they use a captive ones, they will mention which ones are. You can also check Rowland Ward's records of Big Game, but take care to use only those measured by him, not those by the owners because there are several exageartions in those figures. 

Greetings and until next time.

Hi guate! Long time..

Thanks for your answer. I know you have it. 
But I was so curious about the info. 

Also thanks for the suggestion, I'll try and look up those sources. Of course I need measurements of wild specimens, accurate measurements.
But please post any external info you have on wild specimens. That'd be useful!

Thank you,..