WildFact
Big herbivores! - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Herbivores Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-herbivores-animals)
+---- Thread: Big herbivores! (/topic-big-herbivores)

RE: Big herbivores! - Rage2277 - 09-01-2019

nilgai battle

RE: Big herbivores! - Jimmy - 09-02-2019

RE: Big herbivores! - Pckts - 09-03-2019

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Big herbivores! - Rage2277 - 09-04-2019

RE: Big herbivores! - Pckts - 09-04-2019

(09-02-2019, 04:47 PM)Jimmy Wrote:

What do you think @Jimmy 
Is it the camera angle or can these guys actually get that large?

I've never seen any Rhino come close to the size this angle makes that Rhino look. But I've only seen a few and never any One Horned in the wild, only captivity. That's not to say they arent huge, I compared the One Horned I got to feed to a Jeep Cherokee, he was that huge.

RE: Big herbivores! - Jimmy - 09-05-2019

(09-04-2019, 08:05 PM)Pckts Wrote:

What do you think @Jimmy 

I've never seen any Rhino come close to the size this angle makes that Rhino look. But I've only seen a few and never any One Horned in the wild, only captivity. That's not to say they arent huge, I compared the One Horned I got to feed to a Jeep Cherokee, he was that huge.
Yes when I see this video i too was struck by the size not that I have not seen them get very large, but most often it's a direct visual of the animal itself and when you are on foot at their level and these things come lumbering onto the forest path from a dense grass they really look huge than when you realise from the back of an elephant. Females and big males look visually different on live animal with bull clearly being bigger. Regards to Camera angle in this, it seems normal to me, it's taken by someone on the other side probably from the eye level or above and not from the ground/water level,  the only thing here is the animal is seen against human and boat for scale so that maybe the case. Any way the rhino here does seem bigger than what I generally see in safaris and I too was surprised by it's size, but I think the big individual like this are out there seeing there is clear variation between the rhinos I see. Like I used to say to the mahout 'this rhino is bigger than the last one and this rhino is the biggest we saw on the trip etc'.

RE: Big herbivores! - sanjay - 09-05-2019

Elephant trampled Rhino mother and her cub..

RE: Big herbivores! - Spalea - 09-05-2019

@sanjay :

About #532: the cub was pretty close to being crushed by its mother during this moment of panic.

RE: Big herbivores! - Ashutosh - 09-05-2019

(09-04-2019, 08:05 PM)Pckts Wrote:

What do you think @Jimmy 

At the beginning of 20th century, there were just 75 greater one horned rhinos (kaziranga had 18 in 1905. All the big ones were poached for trophies or traditional medicine). So, it’s taken them a century to finally reach their optimum size, who knows they may get bigger. This particular one looks bigger than most (certainly bigger than the two I saw at Dudhwa). Apparently, the largest one horned rhino weighed 4000kg that is equivalent to a medium sized Asiatic Elephant!!! There is a common misconception that the Indian Rhinos are not as big as the African ones, but they are definitely bigger than black rhinos and about 5-10% lighter than white rhinos on average weight. But, over the years they have been getting bigger and bulkier. What a beautiful giant, though. What is most surprising is that they can reach speeds upto 55km/hr! Just to put that in perspective, it would beat Usain Bolt in a 100 metre dash by 3 seconds - Animals that large should not be able to move that quick.

RE: Big herbivores! - Pckts - 09-06-2019

RE: Big herbivores! - Spalea - 09-07-2019

Big elephant at a waterhole in Kenya's Chyulu Hills

RE: Big herbivores! - Spalea - 09-07-2019

Amboseli Park in Kenya...

RE: Big herbivores! - Pckts - 09-12-2019

RE: Big herbivores! - Ashutosh - 09-14-2019

Nepal will conduct it’s Rhino census next year. But, what caught my eye was this : “The government announcement comes as significant numbers of Nepal’s rhinos have been dyingdue to unknown or natural causes. Since mid-July 2018, 45 rhinos have been found dead in and around Chitwan National Park, the country’s main rhino sanctuary.”

45 seems to be a high number in a year, especially for non-poaching related incidents. Is there some sort of virus?

https://news.mongabay.com/2019/09/nepal-to-conduct-self-fund-rhino-census-in-march-2020/#

RE: Big herbivores! - Spalea - 09-14-2019

Tanda Tula Safari Camp (Timbavati Park bordering the Kruger National Park in Africa): white rhino charging .
Reputed as being less iracsible than the black rhino in Africa, white rhino can be angry too...