WildFact
Big herbivores! - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Herbivores Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-herbivores-animals)
+---- Thread: Big herbivores! (/topic-big-herbivores)

RE: Big herbivores! - Wolverine - 08-04-2018

Rare HD cadres with Javan rhino, Ujung Kulon NP, Java:

Last data show that currently 67 Javan rhinos inhabit the park, last refuge of that critically endangered specie. Unung Kulon is not small in teritory but few decades ago was invaded by Oranga palm, an invasive plant covering everything and not allowing normal plants on which Javan Rhino is feeding to grow. So the mane efforts of park authorities are directed to eradicate the invasive plant (if its possible at all) but this need millions of dollars foreign aid. 
Ujung Kulon is also inhabited by dholes and famous among white hunters during Dutch colonial times Javan black panther, second most prestigious hunting trophee in Asia after Royal Bengal tiger.

If somebody want to donate money for Javan rhino conservation:
https://rhinos.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-o_bBRCOARIsAM5NbIM1JhKlOGAfROMAPhtYF2YwAfl4_GElg0jIe3p7MAq6bDFlBpPWISMaAu-QEALw_wcB

RE: Big herbivores! - Rishi - 08-06-2018

(08-04-2018, 11:47 AM)Wolverine Wrote: Rare HD cadres with Javan rhino, Ujung Kulon NP, Java:

Last data show that currently 67 Javan rhinos inhabit the park, last refuge of that critically endangered specie. Unung Kulon is not small in teritory but few decades ago was invaded by Oranga palm, an invasive plant covering everything and not allowing normal plants on which Javan Rhino is feeding to grow. So the mane efforts of park authorities are directed to eradicate the invasive plant (if its possible at all) but this need millions of dollars foreign aid. 
Ujung Kulon is also inhabited by dholes and famous among white hunters during Dutch colonial times Javan black panther, second most prestigious hunting trophee in Asia after Royal Bengal tiger.

If somebody want to donate money for Javan rhino conservation:
https://rhinos.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-o_bBRCOARIsAM5NbIM1JhKlOGAfROMAPhtYF2YwAfl4_GElg0jIe3p7MAq6bDFlBpPWISMaAu-QEALw_wcB

Found two interesting pieces of information on the Javan Rhino Wikipedia page.

"No substantial size difference is seen between genders, but females may be slightly bigger.

The rhinos in Vietnam appeared to be significantly smaller than those in Java, based on studies of photographic evidence and measurements of their footprints."

RE: Big herbivores! - Pckts - 08-07-2018

Praveen Tiwari‎ 

RE: Big herbivores! - Rishi - 08-11-2018

A young nilgai & a feral bull in Keoladeo Ghana National Park.
©Raghunandan Kulkarni

*This image is copyright of its original author

Semi-wild Kharai camel in Rann of Kutchh. 
They live in the mangroves, journey through vast saltpans & swim in tidal salt-waters at coastal areas of Western Gujarat!
Source: https://counterview.org

RE: Big herbivores! - Rage2277 - 08-12-2018

RE: Big herbivores! - parvez - 08-25-2018

RE: Big herbivores! - parvez - 08-26-2018

RE: Big herbivores! - Wolverine - 08-26-2018

(08-25-2018, 08:05 PM)parvez Wrote:
Gorgeous image, I meditated on it several minutes. South India and more especially the area of Nilgiri mountains has probably the largest concentration of large herbivores in all the subcontinent, particullary thousands and thousands of elephants and gaurs. In terms of biomass per sq.km I think this aria is second only after Kaziranga in Assam. Suprisingly enough South India is not very well known among tourists. Dense lush vegetation of Nilgiri don't allow easy filming and spoting of big animals as in the open forests of central India. But probably there is also some other reason, because spectacular Hindu architecture of the South is also largely ignored. 

This remind the unfair distribution of safari tourism and revenue in Africa where majority of foreign tourists prefer to visit Kenya and South Africa, while countries like Tanzania, Botswana and Zambia which have 10 if not 100 times more wild animals are a bit ignored. Tanzania - this world wildlife super-power plays same role in global wildlife protection as United States and China in the aria of economy and politics. Protected arias there covered already amazing 28% of the total surface of the country:
http://www.grida.no/resources/5167
But everybody goes to Kenya. Wherever you go in Western country in touristic agency they advertise you the notorious "Kenyan safaris". What is Kenya now? Overpopulated country with almost no wild nature left and few smallish protected areas (compared with vast wilderness of Botswana, Tanzania and Zambia)  If the crowds of foreign tourists instead of overcrowded  Amboseli visit for example ignored gigantic Tanzanian Selous game reserve - largest protected area of Africa, Tanzanian government will be keen to continue with the wildlife protection. Money from tourism should be more farely distributed among countries in Africa. Guys, do not go to Kenya if you want African wildlife to exist in the future!!!

I think the mane reason for this Kenyan and South African (Kruger) obsession is the way Anglo-Saxon mind works from one and a have century. Kenya since the Victorian Age among English-speaking people is associated with "adventure" and "big game hunting". If my grand father was hunting lions in Kenya I should go also there with camera. The big game is gone but stereotype stays.

Yes, I agree. South india has many gaurs and elephants. But central and north india are given more importance. The western Ghats and nilagiri biosphere reserve particularly nagar hole has very thick vegetation probably next only to assam and terai too IMO. It should also be remembered that srilankan elephants are the biggest asian elephants in experts opinion. Gaur too south india has highly impressive specimens than north. I think it is due to whites domination. North india, south africa, Kenya have higher percentage of white people which is why they are more advertised.

RE: Big herbivores! - Spalea - 08-26-2018

@Wolverine :

About #353: I know it's unfair. Kenya is the "Out of Africa" country which started its demographic developpment much earlyer than the Tanzania (about African countries I don't speak about economic developpment but demographic developpment because these countries head for a future state of collapse and extinction). More than ever Tanzania appears to be the supernatural African enclave with so big and beautiful animals sanctuaries... In the popular imagination Kenya is still the masai warriors country and the first African country which has started to protect its wildlife.

But if the Kenya becomes a powder keg towards its neighbours, the situation is able to become explosiv in Tanzania too, I fear it.

About Asia, the most ignored wildlife paradise is Bhutan. And for a very good reason: mass tourism is prohibited.

RE: Big herbivores! - Wolverine - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 11:36 AM)parvez Wrote:  I think it is due to whites domination. North india, south africa, Kenya have higher percentage of white people which is why they are more advertised.

You said this instead of me...

Ha ha. Good luck next time.  Wink

RE: Big herbivores! - Pckts - 08-27-2018

(08-26-2018, 11:36 AM)parvez Wrote: Yes, I agree. South india has many gaurs and elephants. But central and north india are given more importance. The western Ghats and nilagiri biosphere reserve particularly nagar hole has very thick vegetation probably next only to assam and terai too IMO. It should also be remembered that srilankan elephants are the biggest asian elephants in experts opinion. Gaur too south india has highly impressive specimens than north. I think it is due to whites domination. North india, south africa, Kenya have higher percentage of white people which is why they are more advertised.

Reserves in South India, especially Bandipur have a notorious reputation of being poorly run and mismanaged to the point of discouraging tourists from going back, which are mostly Indians. Tourism in the Indian reserves I was at are 90% natives, I was the only White person in Tadoba, Pench and Kanha, if you want tourism to boom, you need offer decent accommodations or else only the most devoted of wildlife enthusiasts will come. Maybe there are more whites in North India, but I haven't seen anything to back that claim.

In regards to Kenya/Tanzania... Tourism there is a different world, you will always see tourist from all over the world, mostly European countries, we were one of the few americans on our trip to be honest but the tourist diversity is completely different from the Indian Reserves. The infrastructure in India is intimidating for European/American Tourists I think.

Pralay Lahiry
The land of trumpet and roar AND grunt - K A Z I R A N G A

RE: Big herbivores! - Rage2277 - 08-28-2018

The African Cape Buffalo shot on iPhoneX at Zimanga, South Africa. 

RE: Big herbivores! - Pckts - 08-31-2018