WildFact
Lions of Manyeleti - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions of Manyeleti (/topic-lions-of-manyeleti)

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 11-07-2023

(11-06-2023, 10:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 09:59 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: I can’t confirm the validity to this.   But thought it was worth sharing what is being said

This is more plausible explanation than them being 60 miles away

Balule confirmed in comments, they are here:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Thats more like it.

Approximately how far outside of their territory is that, as compared to the 60km we thought initially?

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Duco Ndona - 11-07-2023

(11-06-2023, 06:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 05:28 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Depends on how long they have been there. 

Its not unnusual for males to abandon their territory after having had a good run there. So they can find a new territory that isnt for a large part inhabited by their daughters.

Territorial males usually expand in neigbouring territory/area.

They dont just randomly choose to become nomads again and go search for new territory in complete new and unknown area.

This is very strange behavior, especially as they could easily expand south or east, where theres not much of competition.

Usually yes, providing there are actually lionesses there they feel comfortable mating with. However if the males are at the same location for a very long time, those neighbouring sometimes also for a large part consist out of their daughters or at least they may have that idea. So they have to leave and travel a long distance to find a new mating pool. Hence the depends on how long they have been there. 

Its about the only reason I am aware of why males abandon a territory without pressure and travel large distances to find a new one. Though its more often observed in Leopards.

(11-07-2023, 12:15 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 Shaka tried to chase them and the pride from a giraffe kill but Mandevu & Ncila chased him back.

They never stood their ground against both Mbiris together. For Shaka alone to try to chase everybody by himself shows how confident he was against them... Not saying Mbiris had anything to do with it, but the Tintswalos never chased both.

While I am unsure on any particulars in the incident, I remember a picture of both Shaka and Scar, catching some sleep, in what was said to be the core of the Mbiri Pride, and it was being reported that the pride had been chased, and were scattered as a result. In those reports, or perhaps it was only around the same time frame, it was reported that Mandevu and Ncila were out patrolling the outskirts of their territory at the time. A few days later they were seen outside of their normal territory, so I began to ponder if the two incidents were related, though I had no evidence either way. There was a lot going on at that time.

As far as Shaka being confident and chasing them on his own, he has never lacked for confidence, that is for sure, and has always had a scrappy reputation.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 11-07-2023

@BA0701 Yeah the Tintswalos were avoiding Mbiris every time Mbiris invaded.

They only stood their ground when Shaka tried to chase them alone, but got chased instead. Then a while after that, as you mention, Mbiri males were seen in Manyeleti and the pride was scattered, after that Mandevu and Ncila apparently never returned to their core territory.

These events may be connected but I feel like they just left to go look for new territories, like any coalition do, especially considering they spent this entire time with their natal pride.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 12:20 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Approximately how far outside of their territory is that, as compared to the 60km we thought initially?

~ 5km, they are even closer to Mbiris.

(11-07-2023, 01:25 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 12:20 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Approximately how far outside of their territory is that, as compared to the 60km we thought initially?

~ 5km.

Oh, wow, huge difference. Given that, I no longer feel it is certain they will never return. While it is still possible, if they were the 60km as initially thought, then it was much more doubtful. Now, there is still a chance, and I for one do hope they they return, for everyone's sake, namely the cubs and Lambile, the females should be fine either way. Thank you for that, my friend!

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Horizon - 11-07-2023

(11-06-2023, 09:59 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 09:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 08:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I still can't help but think this had something to do with the Mbiri Males coming in and chasing the pride around. It was reported at the time that these two were way on the outskirts of their territory, and they just kept moving further from there.

They also chased Mbiris aswell.

I dont think Mbiris hanging around their borders will be enough reason for them to move out just like that.

I can’t confirm the validity to this.   But thought it was worth sharing what is being said

Thank you for diffusing the mystery and sorry for the trouble.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 11-08-2023

(11-07-2023, 12:57 PM)Horizon Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 09:59 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 09:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 08:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I still can't help but think this had something to do with the Mbiri Males coming in and chasing the pride around. It was reported at the time that these two were way on the outskirts of their territory, and they just kept moving further from there.

They also chased Mbiris aswell.

I dont think Mbiris hanging around their borders will be enough reason for them to move out just like that.

I can’t confirm the validity to this.   But thought it was worth sharing what is being said

Thank you for diffusing the mystery and sorry for the trouble.

No need to apologize. You said exactly what was being published

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - jdsherlo - 11-09-2023

RIP S8 Male

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Wyld@Heart - 11-09-2023

(11-06-2023, 10:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Balule confirmed in comments, they are herein 
I'm a bit confused. I googled Balule River lodge as I have never heard of it. It's on the Olifants River hell and gone from there. How are they confirming sightings in the Orpen area of the Kruger? Possibly a guided game drive for their guests but that's a heck of a drive down from Phalaborwa.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 01:08 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: I'm a bit confused. I googled Balule River lodge as I have never heard of it. It's on the Olifants River hell and gone from there. How are they confirming sightings in the Orpen area of the Kruger? Possibly a guided game drive for their guests but that's a heck of a drive down from Phalaborwa.

Either a drive, or somebody send them the video.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 02:01 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-09-2023, 01:08 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: I'm a bit confused. I googled Balule River lodge as I have never heard of it. It's on the Olifants River hell and gone from there. How are they confirming sightings in the Orpen area of the Kruger? Possibly a guided game drive for their guests but that's a heck of a drive down from Phalaborwa.

Either a drive, or somebody send them the video.

The video was taken by freelance guides that travel among different lodges and camps. They just mis tagged the location when they made the publication. Happens quite a bit actually.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 11-09-2023

Lambile and 8 members of the Mbiri Pride. Tristan says that the two Orpen subs, and the three cubs were all present. So three lionesses as well. Apparently all members of the Mbiri pride have been seen and are accounted for since the big scattering a few weeks ago, so that's good to hear. Still vulnerable without Mandevu and Ncile though.

Then Red Road and some Nharus towards the end. Red Road's sons are starting to look very impressive, will probably take after their father. A coalition of three junior Red Roads (and maybe Red Road senior) will be insane.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 09:18 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Lambile and 8 members of the Mbiri Pride. Tristan says that the two Orpen subs, and the three cubs were all present. So three lionesses as well. Apparently all members of the Mbiri pride have been seen and are accounted for since the big scattering a few weeks ago, so that's good to hear. Still vulnerable without Mandevu and Ncile though.

Then Red Road and some Nharus towards the end. Red Road's sons are starting to look very impressive, will probably take after their father. A coalition of three junior Red Roads (and maybe Red Road senior) will be insane.

The sighting in the video are about ten days to two weeks old.  

Mandevu on the other hand is BACK HOME.   Sighted by Vrstment today.   I’ve asked about Ncila but haven’t seen a response.

Edit: UPDATE. thanks to @lionuk who has confirmed that Ncila is also back and both looks excellent

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 11-10-2023

I hope they rejoin Lambile and the pride, and return to their territorial activities.