WildFact
Lions of Manyeleti - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions of Manyeleti (/topic-lions-of-manyeleti)

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 11-02-2023

Orpen young male and older Mbiri lioness at 2:05, probably before they reunited with the pride after the big split.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Horizon - 11-06-2023

Two Tintswalo males Ncile and Mandevu witnessed at Balule River Lodge. The lodge said today.

Looks like they are 50 km out of their original territory.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 11:52 AM)Horizon Wrote: Two Tintswalo males Ncile and Mandevu witnessed at Balule River Lodge. The lodge said today.

Looks like they are 50 km out of their original territory.

What? Thats strange.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - lionuk - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 11:52 AM)Horizon Wrote: Looks like they are 50 km out of their original territory.
That's a long way away from Manyeleti. They might not return to Mbiri pride..

(11-06-2023, 04:41 PM)lionuk Wrote: That's a long way away from Manyeleti. They might not return to Mbiri pride..

They will prob not return, but they where seen east of Manyeleti, so we tought they where expanding east into neighbouring area.

But now they are west all they way at Balule, this is very strange, especially as it doesnt look that they where ousted from Manyeleti, as their pride and brother are still there, and no new males seen around.

2 prime and territorial males abandoning their area and basically choose to become nomads is very weird.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Duco Ndona - 11-06-2023

Depends on how long they have been there. 

Its not unnusual for males to abandon their territory after having had a good run there. So they can find a new territory that isnt for a large part inhabited by their daughters.

(11-06-2023, 05:28 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Depends on how long they have been there. 

Its not unnusual for males to abandon their territory after having had a good run there. So they can find a new territory that isnt for a large part inhabited by their daughters.

Territorial males usually expand in neigbouring territory/area.

They dont just randomly choose to become nomads again and go search for new territory in complete new and unknown area.

This is very strange behavior, especially as they could easily expand south or east, where theres not much of competition.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - RookiePundit - 11-06-2023

Meeting Red Road before they might think differently about how easy would it be to expand south. Not disagreeing on that it is still easier than elsewhere, but they might not be capable to fully realize that and might not have fulfilled their desire to explore yet.

As they never really moved from their natal pride, so to some extent they never had a proper nomadic period and were dominant over their natal pride. Both those factor might have ben in play in their decision to move on as well. There was probably a trigger considering how Mbiris scattered. Lambile is both not in great shape (and subsequently confident enough) to move on to try luck elsewhere as well as for him Mbiris are not is natal pride, although it is hard to tell to what extend he realizes or instinctively feels that or whether he would care regardless.

Anyway as always, lions don't always behave according to the book.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 11-06-2023

I still can't help but think this had something to do with the Mbiri Males coming in and chasing the pride around. It was reported at the time that these two were way on the outskirts of their territory, and they just kept moving further from there.

(11-06-2023, 08:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I still can't help but think this had something to do with the Mbiri Males coming in and chasing the pride around. It was reported at the time that these two were way on the outskirts of their territory, and they just kept moving further from there.

They also chased Mbiris aswell.

I dont think Mbiris hanging around their borders will be enough reason for them to move out just like that.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 09:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 08:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I still can't help but think this had something to do with the Mbiri Males coming in and chasing the pride around. It was reported at the time that these two were way on the outskirts of their territory, and they just kept moving further from there.

I dont think Mbiris hanging around their borders will be enough reason for them to move out just like that.

I can’t confirm the validity to this.   But thought it was worth sharing what is being said

This is more plausible explanation than them being 60 miles away

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 11-06-2023

Meanwhile….

Recent sighting of 1/3 Tintswalo males ('Lambile') resting.

Credits to Neil Rosewalll

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 09:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Perhaps you're right, I am just trying to make sense of what is currently happening, and that was the only thing of significance, that happened right around the time that they left. Right now I just hope that they return, the pride, cubs, and Lambile, all need for them to. 

It sounds, from what @criollo2mil just posted, they might not be as far away as we initially thought.

(11-06-2023, 09:59 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: I can’t confirm the validity to this.   But thought it was worth sharing what is being said

This is more plausible explanation than them being 60 miles away

Balule confirmed in comments, they are here:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Thats more like it.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 11-07-2023

@Tr1x24 Shaka tried to chase them and the pride from a giraffe kill but Mandevu & Ncila chased him back.

They never stood their ground against both Mbiris together. For Shaka alone to try to chase everybody by himself shows how confident he was against them... Not saying Mbiris had anything to do with it, but the Tintswalos never chased both.