WildFact
Lions of Manyeleti - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions of Manyeleti (/topic-lions-of-manyeleti)

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 10-19-2023

I think there are enough lionesses without cubs and few enough youngsters for them to survive a takeover when new males inevitably arrive. Let's hope so anyway. But the Orpen male might be starting his nomadic journey soon.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 10-19-2023

Two Imbali lionesses (most likely) at the end of the video and mention of the Nharus earlier on. Obviously unsure of when this was filmed.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 10-20-2023

6 or 7 (I’m unclear still) members of the Mbiri Pride that are back on their territory.   Based on what Tristan has messaged me with, the Orpen daughter, isn’t among them and still incertain about any of the cubs.  Also one lioness have not been seen back.  

Credit:  vestment

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 10-20-2023

(10-20-2023, 08:21 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: 6 or 7 (I’m unclear still) members of the Mbiri Pride that are back on their territory.   Based on what Tristan has messaged me with, the Orpen daughter, isn’t among them and still incertain about any of the cubs.  Also one lioness have not been seen back.  

I still have to think the pride having left was the result of the Mbiris boys coming in and chasing them. However, as I understand it, Ncila and Mandevu were already gone when that took place, so there is still no understanding of what caused them to leave, unless, perhaps, they had an interaction with the Mbiris that we are not aware of. In those recent pics of Ncila, he has some sort of wound to his lower back (near his hip) that is leaking, could possibly be a bite. No telling when and where he got that, or who delivered it.

(10-20-2023, 10:53 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 08:21 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: 6 or 7 (I’m unclear still) members of the Mbiri Pride that are back on their territory.   Based on what Tristan has messaged me with, the Orpen daughter, isn’t among them and still incertain about any of the cubs.  Also one lioness have not been seen back.  

I still have to think the pride having left was the result of the Mbiris boys coming in and chasing them. However, as I understand it, Ncila and Mandevu were already gone when that took place, so there is still no understanding of what caused them to leave, unless, perhaps, they had an interaction with the Mbiris that we are not aware of. In those recent pics of Ncila, he has some sort of wound to his lower back (near his hip) that is leaking, could possibly be a bite. No telling when and where he got that, or who delivered it.

Yes. Ncila did have a minor puncture in his hip. Ziggy did make a remark about it but seems minor

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 10-20-2023

(10-20-2023, 10:53 PM)BA0701 Wrote: so there is still no understanding of what caused them to leave

I dont think anything significantly happen.

Its normal for males to try expand/shift territority and abandon former pride after 1.5 - 2 years, especially if there is no available females for mating and they are strong enough to do so.

This would prob happen last year already if Ncile was not snared and lost 1 year because of recovery.

Ok, I received a new update from Trystan and it’s very optimistic news.

8 of the 11 Mbiris have been accounted for and that count includes all sub adults. There are 3 adult females not present but Trystan says that he’s seen what he believes at least two in a separate Group. It could be that the non mothers and the mothers are in separate groups maybe in estrus idk

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 10-21-2023

(10-20-2023, 11:47 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

8 of the 11 Mbiris have been accounted for and that count includes all sub adults.   There are 3 adult females not present but Trystan says that he’s seen what he believes at least two in a separate Group.   It could be that the non mothers and the mothers are in separate groups maybe in estrus idk

That is great to hear. Is Lambile still with the main group? I feel terrible for him, his brothers having left, being in such poor health.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - lionuk - 10-21-2023

Are these the same males now seen with the Manyeleti young male? 

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 10-21-2023

(10-21-2023, 07:18 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

8 of the 11 Mbiris have been accounted for and that count includes all sub adults.   There are 3 adult females not present but Trystan says that he’s seen what he believes at least two in a separate Group.   It could be that the non mothers and the mothers are in separate groups maybe in estrus idk

That is great to hear. Is Lambile still with the main group? I feel terrible for him, his brothers having left, being in such poor health.

He wasn’t w them on that day but is on the property

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 10-21-2023

(10-21-2023, 08:04 PM)lionuk Wrote: Are these the same males now seen with the Manyeleti young male? 

This is from last year pics right?

I think these 2 are their older brothers.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - lionuk - 10-21-2023

(10-21-2023, 09:36 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: This is from last year pics right?

I think these 2 are their older brothers.
Yes, taken in December of 2022. 

So they are NOT the same males that were seen with two sisters, Imbali breakaway group seen mostly in east of Sabi Sands, right?

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 10-21-2023

(10-21-2023, 08:15 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(10-21-2023, 07:18 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

He wasn’t w them on that day but is on the property

Thank you for this my friend. Dark Mane stuck with the pride after his brothers moved on, and he was still quite successful, hopefully Lambile's story can have a similar arc.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Ttimemarti - 10-22-2023

So the nharu pride is made up of the the 5 Birmingham males sisters who should be around 15 or 16 and the the tumbela males plus lambiles sisters

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 10-22-2023

Not sure who these guys are, 3 males vocalising in the Mluwati concession, only 1 is pictured with a brief shot of the second 

a male photographed by another guest, not sure if one of the three - By Chanel Pestana