WildFact
Lions of Manyeleti - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions of Manyeleti (/topic-lions-of-manyeleti)

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 09-14-2023

(09-14-2023, 03:31 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 09:12 PM)Tonpa Wrote: 12 members of the Skorro Pride

*This image is copyright of its original author

Saw this IG conversation a while back regarding them, a lot more around

I'm with Tristan, I have never heard of them called the Kingfisher Pride either, in fact I'm not sure I have ever heard of the Kingfisher Pride at all.

Full name is Kingfisherspruit Pride, there's a few references to them and the skybed males on the forum

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 09-14-2023

(09-14-2023, 06:07 AM)Tonpa Wrote:

I'm with Tristan, I have never heard of them called the Kingfisher Pride either, in fact I'm not sure I have ever heard of the Kingfisher Pride at all.

Full name is Kingfisherspruit Pride, there's a few references to them and the skybed males on the forum

Ah, well thank you for that, my friend. For some strange reason, it just doesn't ring a bell. Now I am going to have to go refresh my memory.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 09-14-2023

A post in the Timbavati thread, by @Timbavati, refers to the Skorro Pride, and the Kingfisherspruit Prides as if they are two different prides, stating they were both referred to as the Orpen Pride at one point or another, along with the Birmingham Pride also being referred to as the Orpen Pride at some point as well. So, it is even a little more murky. Though from the sounds of it, different reserves called the same prides different names, and in some instances referred to different prides by the same name, so in the end it could still be that they were the same pride, the Skorro and the Kingfisherspruit prides. Things weren't as organized back in those days, some of it happening before the Internet was a thing (you know back when things were much more simple, when we were less "informed").

@Timbavati wrote:

"Over the years, a lot of prides were known as the Orpen pride by the simply fact of spend time in that area. For example,  the Birmingham pride is known as the Orpen pride by some guys. Skorro pride was referred as the Orpen pride by Tintswalo rangers and the Kingfisherspruit pride was known as Orpen pride back in the 90's consisted of more than 30 lions and they hardly ever crossed into Timbavati. From 1994 to 1998 there was a pride of 23 lions around the Ngala traverse and the Birmingham around Wildlife college to the west. So, mostly of these current prides should be related each-other in the past "

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Timbavati - 09-15-2023

(09-14-2023, 07:57 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

A post in the Timbavati thread, by @Timbavati, refers to the Skorro Pride, and the Kingfisherspruit Prides as if they are two different prides, stating they were both referred to as the Orpen Pride at one point or another, along with the Birmingham Pride also being referred to as the Orpen Pride at some point as well. So, it is even a little more murky. Though from the sounds of it, different reserves called the same prides different names, and in some instances referred to different prides by the same name, so in the end it could still be that they were the same pride, the Skorro and the Kingfisherspruit prides. Things weren't as organized back in those days, some of it happening before the Internet was a thing (you know back when things were much more simple, when we were less "informed").

@Timbavati wrote:

"Over the years, a lot of prides were known as the Orpen pride by the simply fact of spend time in that area. For example,  the Birmingham pride is known as the Orpen pride by some guys. Skorro pride was referred as the Orpen pride by Tintswalo rangers and the Kingfisherspruit pride was known as Orpen pride back in the 90's consisted of more than 30 lions and they hardly ever crossed into Timbavati. From 1994 to 1998 there was a pride of 23 lions around the Ngala traverse and the Birmingham around Wildlife college to the west. So, mostly of these current prides should be related each-other in the past "

Good one @BA0701

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Hairy tummy - 09-15-2023

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 09-16-2023

by Jana du Plessis

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 09-17-2023

Red Road near Talamati camp

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 09-17-2023

Mbiri Males by Vestment Mfumo

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 09-20-2023

Short tail Leeubron and some lionesses by @coxyboy72, a guest at Imbali Lodge.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 09-20-2023

Manyeleti 2010, credits to Drizzle Jordaan.

Are these the Old Birmingham and Mabande? The fathers of the 5 Bboys.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Potato - 09-20-2023

(09-20-2023, 07:13 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Are these the Old Birmingham and Mabande? The fathers of the 5 Bboys.
Looks like 2 of the 3 old Birmingham males indeed.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 09-21-2023

Not sure who this girl is, someone sliced her ear nicely

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 09-21-2023

(09-21-2023, 09:06 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Not sure who this girl is, someone sliced her ear nicely

Do we know which pride she is with?

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 09-21-2023

(09-21-2023, 07:46 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-21-2023, 09:06 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Not sure who this girl is, someone sliced her ear nicely

Not tooo sure, I think it might be one of the Imbali girls. I'll try have a look later

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 09-21-2023

(09-21-2023, 07:57 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(09-21-2023, 07:46 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Not tooo sure, I think it might be one of the Imbali girls. I'll try have a look later

No worries, just thought I'd ask, she definitely appears an older gal. Thanks Bro!