WildFact
Lions of Manyeleti - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions of Manyeleti (/topic-lions-of-manyeleti)

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - afortich - 05-22-2022

(05-22-2022, 05:56 AM)RookiePundit Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 10:36 PM)afortich Wrote:
(05-20-2022, 06:07 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Mandevu and the young orpen male cub 

what is the pride of the young orpen male cub? is this an attempt to take over??

Like Tonpa said, Orpen males both died suddenly in quick succesion (one was later contributed to anthrax and the other one was in poor condition for some time already and dissapeared soon after). Litter of two was born posthummusly into Mbiri pride, male and female. Tintswalos (still 4 of them back then), who were born into Mbiri pride (except Lambile who was accepted into it) before and was kicked out by Orpen males (who were not their fathers), were still around and with Orpen males gone, they returned to their natal pride, still young and likely acted like those two are their new siblingsmore than anything and were yet to act dominantly, probably happy to be home ... and then no males were around to kick them out, so they eventually took over. That is at least how I understood the situation.

Got it, so it appears that the Tintswalo look at open youngsers as little brothers, therefore, accepted them. 
I did not know there was a 4th Tintswalo, what happened to the 4th Tinstswalo??

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - RookiePundit - 05-22-2022

(05-22-2022, 08:47 AM)afortich Wrote:
(05-22-2022, 05:56 AM)RookiePundit Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 10:36 PM)afortich Wrote:
(05-20-2022, 06:07 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Mandevu and the young orpen male cub 

what is the pride of the young orpen male cub? is this an attempt to take over??

Like Tonpa said, Orpen males both died suddenly in quick succesion (one was later contributed to anthrax and the other one was in poor condition for some time already and dissapeared soon after). Litter of two was born posthummusly into Mbiri pride, male and female. Tintswalos (still 4 of them back then), who were born into Mbiri pride (except Lambile who was accepted into it) before and was kicked out by Orpen males (who were not their fathers), were still around and with Orpen males gone, they returned to their natal pride, still young and likely acted like those two are their new siblingsmore than anything and were yet to act dominantly, probably happy to be home ... and then no males were around to kick them out, so they eventually took over. That is at least how I understood the situation.

Got it, so it appears that the Tintswalo look at open youngsers as little brothers, therefore, accepted them. 
I did not know there was a 4th Tintswalo, what happened to the 4th Tinstswalo??

Yeah, that's what I believe. At that point they did not see their sisters, mothers and aunts as mates yet but still as a family. It has been an odd situation not great for genetic diversity but they have the numbers on their side.

There were four, the 4th one was probably bit younger, with not much of a mane grown, but with a frame that if he would fill out and grown into he would likely be physically strongest of them all (there should be picture of them I guess in this thread, spring 2021, at the start of their nomadic phase that ended with them rejoining their natal pride*. IIRC soon after the lodge named the coalition Tintswalo males (but before he remaining 3 got their individual names) he simply disappeared, it is unknown today what happened to him, no info about him running into another coalition or anything (they were still exploring around a bit at the time) but with later incidents of Red Road and recently Ncile being caught in a snare, some of us suspect he might have been poached. Manyeleti does not have as dense traffic as most of the Sabi Sands I suppose and being at the western edge of Greater Kruger ecosystem, it has a long border with outside world including nearby settlements. There were occasions of fence having to be repaired .. it is plausible. The settlements are simply too close to the fence not to be in conflict with wildlife at times - for example in early 2021 leopard male Hukumuri bein pushed by competition found a way to the settlements and their goats and had to be put down as being too dangerous for the locals (small children usually guard those goats...).

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 05-25-2022

Throwback :

Poor Nchile, he was such a beast before snare incident..

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mabingilane - 05-25-2022

Nchile was growing and maturing into an incredible adult male. But because of a scumbag's snare, he has a long road to recovery. So sad!

Good news: He is roaring territorially again with Mandevu.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Horizon - 05-25-2022

With Nchile’s injury, this must be the most vulnerable time for the pride and the coalition. Hope this passes quickly without any incidents.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 05-27-2022

Mluwati Concession May 2022. 

https://imbali.com/mluwati-concession-may-2022-newsletter/

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 05-27-2022

1/3 Tintswalos (Lambile).  

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 05-29-2022

Mbiris have a new cub
By Vestment Mfumo Machavi 

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mdz123 - 05-29-2022

(05-29-2022, 04:56 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Mbiris have a new cub
By Vestment Mfumo Machavi 

Any littermates? Its really rare for lionesses to give birth to a litter of 1 so he must have littermates.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 05-30-2022

New upcoming Tintswalo Safari where they check on Ncila and also show the new solo cub addition to the pride. If you look closely at the new cub, I believe it to be a boy

https://fb.watch/dkG5YTNhdd/?fs=e&s=cl

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 05-30-2022

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 05-30-2022

Wonder if he'll look like the old Manyeleti Male in the end

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mabingilane - 05-31-2022

How old do you think this new lone cub is? The Mother is one of the young females. So another first time mother

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tonpa - 05-31-2022

Looks around 2-3 months

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 05-31-2022

(05-31-2022, 02:54 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Looks around 2-3 months

Damn….I was wayyyyy off on my estimate.  Lol.  I didn’t think he was older than 4-6 weeks or so Sad