WildFact
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Premier Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-premier-section)
+--- Forum: Edge of Extinction (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-edge-of-extinction)
+--- Thread: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) (/topic-on-the-edge-of-extinction-a-the-tiger-panthera-tigris)

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 07-21-2017

GENETICALLY DISTINCT POPULATION OF BENGAL TIGER (Panthera tigris tigris) IN TERAI ARC LANDSCAPE IN INDIA (R. Sharma, H. Stuckas, R. Bhaskar, I. Khan, S.P. Goyal and R. Tiedemann - Mammalian Biology, 76, 2011: pp. 484-490)

This post has scans of 3 pages from the study discussed in my previous post (post 1,224). The abstract is on the first scan, whereas the second scan has a map showing the sampling sites. The third scan has a map showing the haplotype frequencies. The map on the third scan is based on the results of this study (2011) and the study of Luo (2004). The red lines in the third scan are mine. They show the unique haplotypes in 4 of the 7 regions.

1 - Abstract

*This image is copyright of its original author

b - Map with sampling sites from the Terai Arc Landscape (TAL)

c - Haplotype frequencies found in this study in the Indian subcontinent 

RE: Genetics of all tiger subspecies - parvez - 07-23-2017

Amur tigers, 
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/extinction-countdown/rare-siberian-tigers-face-potential-genetic-bottleneck/

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 07-27-2017

I think DNA analysis, size, physical description, and other things within the subspecies is kinda pointless. Remember, the tiger is living in national park these days. Human population is still increasing and habitats is disappearing. It's very difficult them to go to different environment habitats in another national parks unlike the past. Tiger could go anywhere 100 years ago because it was a lot different than today. They could just go anywhere and adapted in new areas and different environments. It might have been a lot different 100 years ago. Today, the tiger is keep living in remote place like national park. More and worse competition would be appeared in future as tiger population is increasing.

I just thought about Bengal tigers in Himalaya and Sundarbans. Because these 2 tigers are made me think of local adaptation of the Korean tiger in Korean peninsula. 
This goes to more complicate if I am studying Siberian tiger lived in northern Manchuria, Mongolia, and Siberia, South China tiger in many different places of China (China is very huge country and it has many different nature and environment), and Caspian tiger since Central Asia has very diverse habitats and environments.

A. The Himalayan Bengal tiger (Panthera tigris tigris) of Bhutan.
The Bengal tiger in Bhutan or Himalayan Bengal tiger looks a lot different than other Bengal tigers in India, Bangladesh, and Nepal. Their fur is longer and color is different. They don’t even look like robust and heavier built like Peter mentioned about Bengal tigers in India. They looked evolved as adapting steep environment in cold Himalayan mountains. I don’t know the size of the Himalayan tiger In Bhutan. However, I do not believe they were robust and heavy as tigers in India.
It is like the tiger in Korea was generally smaller than their brothers in Russia and Northeast China since Korea has the highest and the steepest environments. It also had a short fur since Korea was warmer. The question is this isn't always true since northern Korea has an extremely cold hellish winter with a minimum temperature of -51 °C degree and easily go below -30 °C degree. The average annual temperature there is  -0.06 °C degree in some area of North Korea. Their fur has to be long in my opinion if they are living in North Korea.

The Bengal tigers in Bhutan in summer I believe. It doesn’t look robust and it looks a lot different than Bengal tiger in Nepal, India, and Bangladesh.

The Himalayan tiger in Bhutan in winter or high Himalayan mountain areas. They look more like the Siberian tiger. The Bhutan Bengal tiger in Himalaya mountains is very beautiful, especially their fur and color. I prefer Himalayan Bengal tiger more than Bengal tiger in India and Nepal.

The Bengal tiger in Bhutan in steep mountain of Himalaya. Some photos remind me mountains in Korea

B. The Sundarbans and Similipal Bengal tiger of India and Bangaldesh.

We all know the Bengal tiger in these areas are the smallest.

I am not sure of Similipal, but tiger is in Sundarbans also suffer from many prey lost.

I am copy and paste it because I am tired of typing
“Forest inventories reveal a decline in standing volume of the two main commercial mangrove species – sundari (Heritiera spp.) and gewa (Excoecaria agallocha) — by 40% and 45% respectively between 1959 and 1983.[30][31] Despite a total ban on all killing or capture of wildlife other than fish and some invertebrates, it appears that there is a consistent pattern of depleted biodiversity or loss of species (notably at least six mammals and one important reptile) in the 20th century, and that the "ecological quality of the original mangrove forest is declining".[7] The endangered species that live within the Sundarbans and extinct species that used to be include the royal Bengal tigers, estuarine crocodile, northern river terrapins (Batagur baska), olive ridley sea turtles, Gangetic dolphin, ground turtles, hawksbill sea turtles and king crabs (horse shoe). Some species such as hog deer (Axis porcinus), water buffalos (Bubalus bubalis), barasingha or swamp deer (Cervus duvauceli), Javan rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus), single horned rhinoceros (Rhinoceros unicornis) and the mugger crocodiles or marsh crocodiles (Crocodylus palustris) started to become extinct in the Sundarbans towards the middle of the 20th century, because of extensive poaching and man hunting by the British.[24] There are other threatened mammal species, such as the capped langurs (Semnopithecus pileatus), smooth-coated otters (Lutrogale perspicillata), Oriental small-clawed otters (Aonyx cinerea), and great Bengal civets (Viverra zibetha).”

Not as the Siberian tiger in Russian Far East, the Bengal tiger of Sundarbans are also suffering from prey animal compare to the past. The Sunarbans tiger is also having difficult time to drink fresh water, they rather drink saltwater. That's why tiger in Sundarbans like water tanks after government setup the water tanks to provide them a freshwater. Maybe their size has been decreased because of these issues along with local adaptation? 
I do believe their habitats like include beaches, estuaries, permanent and semi-permanent swamps, tidal flats, tidal creeks, coastal dunes, back dunes and levees may have been made them to small size.

If you read Barclay book, he talks about people discovered tiger footprint in tidal flats when he was in Korea. There are many tidal flats in Korea and Peter mentioned about tiger in Korean island before. Also, tiger in Korea also had a little wild prey left in early 1900s. Even worse than prey density in today's Russia. japanese was uncivilized subhuman like Germany. Japanese genocide other Asians just like German Nazis did to other Europeans. They also over hunted the wild animals like tiger, leopard, wolf, bear, and its prey like deer and boar.  They also killed tons of dogs and drove extinct of native dogs in Korea and Manchuria for emergency food and fur. I think this was why Korean tiger was known as extremely dangerous and bloodthirsty man-eating animals. japanese was the reason of the Siberian tiger and the Amur leopard were extinct in Korea. Pretty much the same as sundarbans tiger today.

The Sundarbans tiger. They look extremely skinny.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 07-28-2017

A very huge male South China tiger (Panthera tigris amoyensis) hunt on 8/13/1965 near Zhangjiajige National Forest Park
Total length of 290 cm long, 143 cm high, and 175 kg.

South China tiger shot in Fujian.

South China tiger and other rare mammals and birds of China in the Beijing natural history museum

Malayan tiger (Panthera tigris jacksoni) in Singapore island. The Malayan tiger is the smallest mainland Asian tiger subspecies.
Malayan tiger shot on 10/26/1930. It was killed in Choa Chu Kang Village, Singapore island and it weighted 106.5 kg. I think this is the last wild tiger in Singapore.

Wikipedia says "Body length taken from 16 female tigers in the State of Terengganu ranged from 70 to 103 in (180 to 260 cm) and averaged 80.1 in (203 cm). Their height ranged from 23 to 41 in (58 to 104 cm), and their body weight from 52 to 195 lb (24 to 88 kg). Data from 21 males in the State of Terengganu showed that total length ranged from 75 to 112 in (190 to 280 cm), with an average of 94.2 in (239 cm). Their height ranged from 24 to 45 in (61 to 114 cm), and their body weight from 104 to 284.7 lb (47.2 to 129.1 kg)".

And this is the newspaper of the last Singapore tiger.

This is the specimen of the last tiger of Singapore. But I am not 100% sure, because description on glasses says it was a man-eating tiger shots in Sumatra island.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Betty - 07-29-2017

Fujian Tulou Museum

African lion, South China tiger.

http://bbs.sgsy.net/thread-10246-1-1.html

http://fjnews.fjsen.com/2014-09/25/content_14945532_9.htm

http://www.docin.com/p-936281931.html

RE: Genetics of all tiger subspecies - parvez - 07-31-2017

Sumatran tigers have high levels of genetic diversity, 
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268212970_Population_genetics_and_structure_of_the_Sumatran_tiger#rft

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Betty - 08-08-2017

Zoe Dell went on safari in India with her husband, Erv, and his son, Bob. The family went on many safaries together, including some trips to Africa. Seen here in India, Zoe Dell had to defend herself against a tiger that attacked from the tall grasses.

http://airportjournals.com/zoe-dell-lantis-nutter-a-70-year-commitment-to-aviations-success/

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 08-16-2017

AMUR TIGERS - TWO VIDEOS

1 - Tracking tigers in the snow

In order to count the number of Amur tigers, many hundreds of rangers, hunters and volonteers are needed. Tracking tigers in the snow seems easy, but it isn't. Not if you're interested in details that matter. For this reason, all trackers have to be instructed. In this video (in English), the essentials of tracking are discussed.

Interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHneXF_x_mw

2 - Secrets of a smell tree

In the Russian Far East, many animals share the forest. In order to avoid problems, animals inform others about their situation and their whereabouts. In contrast to humans, they don't use their ears or eyes but their nose. The best place to leave a message is a tree on a well-used track. When you place a camera-trap close to a smell tree, the result will be good enough for a newspaper.

Anyone interested in differences in size between, for example, wild boars, Ussuri brown bears, Himalayan bears and tigers should watch the video (just over 8 minutes). When you see the animals, you will understand why it is difficult to get to an average. A healthy population always is very diverse.

As to animals and sharing the forest. In the forest, there are no walls. Any animal has access to any section at all times. Every section has a smell tree that is used to inform other animals. 

In a recent report I read on the site of the Amur Tiger Project (Russian), a man in the know wrote that male brown bears can be troublesome in summer. The reason is mating. During the mating season, males often make themselves known. They frequent some forest sections more than others, they appropiate forest sections often used by tigers and they often are high strung and quite aggressive, which can result in confrontations. For this reason, tigers move out of sections used by male brown bears in the mating season. How do tigers know about the bear mating season? The answer is they were informed by smell trees.

Nice video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqHHeBFKQ9U

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Wolverine - 08-18-2017

Could be added that all these scenes from last video were shot in Land of the Leopard National Park, protected area created in 2012.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Wolverine - 08-21-2017

Interesting accident took place in Ussuri forest 3 years ago. Male tiger was very badly injured by huge wild boar (Ussurian wild boars are largest in the world and could weight up to 300 kg and they are like tanks). With paralised hind legs and tail the tiger succeed to crawl around 10 kilometers (see his route on the map) in the snowy forest before it was rescued by biologists. In this article (in Russian) are provided images of the boar's head (the tiger succeed to kill the animal) and images of the tiger:
https://portamur.ru/news/detail/posle-rokovoy-vstrechi-s-kabanom-tigr-propolz-kilometrov-i-uspel-povzdorit-s-medvedem/

As long as I remember a bit later this tiger dye and it was discovered that he has suffered from cancer (its not written in this article), so in the end of the day was not very clear did the tiger was paralised only because of the unjury caused by the wild boar or his disease bring him additionally to his miserable conditions.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Diamir2 - 08-22-2017

(08-21-2017, 11:15 AM)Wolverine Wrote: Interesting accident took place in Ussuri forest 3 years ago. Male tiger was very badly injured by huge wild boar (Ussurian wild boars are largest in the world and could weight up to 300 kg and they are like tanks). With paralised hind legs and tail the tiger succeed to crawl around 10 kilometers (see his route on the map) in the snowy forest before it was rescued by biologists. In this article (in Russian) are provided images of the boar's head (the tiger succeed to kill the animal) and images of the tiger:
https://portamur.ru/news/detail/posle-rokovoy-vstrechi-s-kabanom-tigr-propolz-kilometrov-i-uspel-povzdorit-s-medvedem/

As long as I remember a bit later this tiger dye and it was discovered that he has suffered from cancer (its not written in this article), so in the end of the day was not very clear did the tiger was paralised only because of the unjury caused by the wild boar or his disease bring him additionally to his miserable conditions.
This amazing story is known to me in every detail. It was a genuine Shakespearean drama.
A detailed exposition will be later.

https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/patomorfologicheskie-izmeneniya-u-dikogo-amurskogo-tigra-pri-limfome

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 08-23-2017

ABOUT A STRUGGLE BETWEEN A TIGER AND A WILD BOAR IN AMUR COUNTRY

a - The struggle

If I got it right, a 7-8 year old male Amur tiger attacked a big wild boar some 3 years ago. Although he was severely injured during the struggle, the tiger was able to kill the wild boar. The report didn't say if the boar was eaten, but it was known that the tiger dragged himself to a kind of depression after the struggle. It must have been quite an ordeal, as his tracks in the snow showed he had been hardly able to walk. Not far from a road, the tiger perished.

b - Cause of death of the tiger

The autopsy revealed that the tiger didn't perish as a result of his injuries, but as a result of his disease (cancer). Although the struggle could have resulted in injuries to his legs (not known), death was inevitable because his respiratory system had been severely affected by the disease. In other words: the tiger died as a result of a lack of oxygen. That and a lot more.

c - Starvation?

The autopsy suggested that the tiger had been suffering from his disease for some time. The lack of oxygen most probably resulted in one or more failed hunts, as hunting requires a lot of energy, especially in winter. In Amur country, wild boars hunted by tigers select sloping hills to stay ahead. For a tiger, it takes a lot of stamina to get close enough.

If the tiger, as a result of his disease, had been unsuccesful on more than one occasion (likely), chances are he had been starving. The photograph showed a big-skulled and muscular male, but he seemed a bit below par.        

Maybe the large wild boar was his last chance. 

The wild boar

The photograph showed that the length of the skull of the boar was about 450 mm., meaning his head was over 500 mm. Large by any standard. Maybe the wild boar was a seasoned old warrior, as his tusks, although still impressive, seemed a bit short.  

Old male wild boars often live on their own and don't care about tigers. Not in India and not in Russia. An old boar knows it would take quite a tiger to take him out. He also knows the tiger, even when victorious, will pay in some way. 

The fight

There are no details in the article I read, but the tiger apparently was severely injured. Could have been an injury to his legs, because he was hardly able to walk after the struggle. If we include the results of the autopsy, one could say it was a small miracle that he had been able to kill the large wild boar.

I read quite a few reports about tigers injured and killed by wild boars. Most reports are from India. Amur tigers seem to do quite well against wild boars. I don't know why that is; Ussuri wild boars are larger than those in India, whereas Amur tigers are not larger than Indian tigers. If anything, they seem less robust (not as heavy). 

The difference between Russia and India for tigers compares to the difference between opportunity and necessity. In India, tigers often have the opportunity to select their target. Adult male tigers prefer to hunt large herbivores. Not saying that a large herbivore is easy prey, but it is a fact that tigers in India only very seldom perish in struggles. Ullas karanth found a male tiger killed by a gaur, but incidents of this nature seem to be few and far between.

In Russia, on the other hand, tigers often have no option but to hunt dangerous animals. As a result of a lack of large herbivores, tigers have to hunt bears and wild boars. Those who survive an encounter will gain experience. Some tigers even develop a preference for bears. Recent studies suggest that quite a few tigers prefer them over other animals in some seasons (...). 

Tigers and bears in Russia have been discussed at length. This is not true for wild boars. I posted a few articles in this thread, but all in all I'd say we could use a bit more. The problem is there's not that much available.

Photographs of wild boars

- Bulgaria. Definitely well below 200 kg. (442 lbs.). Picture from a hunting book:

- Turkey (first posted by Warsaw). Definitely over 600 lbs.:

- Another very large (781 lbs.) male boar from Turkey (Nitroexpress):

India:

- Skull of the Amur boar that featured in this post (from the article posted by Wolverine):

A hunt in Tadjikistan

When I tried to find a bit more about wild boars and tigers in the Russian Far East, I came up empty. I did, however find a number of shortish videos about wild boars in Europe, Asia Minor and Central Asia. I selected Central Asia, because it's closest to the Russian Far East. Another reason is wild boars seem to be more, ehhh, wild in Asia.

Posting a video about a hunt in a forum like this one has disadvantages. More often than not, you see some people with powerful rifles firing from a very comfortable position. They don't eat the animal they kill, but take his skull or skin home to show they were there. At home, the cat and mouse game with those opposed to hunting starts. I can understand the eagerness to get close to a wild animal, but the days of true hunting, in my opinion, are over.

What is true hunting? A one-on-one. On foot. Equal terms. 

The man below (W. Fend) hunted a man-eating tigress in Orissa. She had killed and eaten over 200 people. It took him a very long time to get close to her. When he finally did, he had to abandon the hunt as a result of tough circumstances, stress and disease. He returned. After some weeks, he succeeded when he dressed as a local woman. When the tigress approached, coincidence had it his cook recorded the moment she was shot (last photograph):

Anyhow. Big cats and a few other dangerous animals feature in a lot of documentaries, but I've yet to see one on, say, wild boars. In order to show you that an adult male wild boar is not an easy target for any tiger, I decided for this one. Swallow your opinion, don't hold it against me and go to 04:25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv8tknuIY9A

Tadjikistan was Caspian tiger territory. Caspian tigers, depending on region, disappeared between 1920-1970 (perhaps 1980 in some regions, but I still hear rumours about tigers recently seen in remote parts of Central Asia), but the boars remained. They're not hunted by big cats anymore. 

Maybe you can find a good documentary about wild boars. If you do, don't hesitate to post it. Remember we want good info about the Ussuri wild boars, not those in other parts of the world.

Wolverine and Diamir2

Interesting posts. Many thanks on behalf of all. Anything known about the length and weight of the tiger? And the story about the boar and the tiger? Would you be able to find a documentary about the Ussuri wild boar?

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - epaiva - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 07:06 AM)peter Wrote: ABOUT A STRUGGLE BETWEEN A TIGER AND A WILD BOAR IN AMUR COUNTRY

a - The struggle

If I got it right, a 7-8 year old male Amur tiger attacked a big wild boar some 3 years ago. Although he was severely injured during the struggle, the tiger was able to kill the wild boar. The report didn't say if the boar was eaten, but it was known that the tiger dragged himself to a kind of depression after the struggle. It must have been quite an ordeal, as his tracks in the snow showed he had been hardly able to walk. Not far from a road, the tiger perished.

b - Cause of death of the tiger

The autopsy revealed that the tiger didn't perish as a result of his injuries, but as a result of his disease (cancer). Although the struggle could have resulted in injuries to his legs (not known), death was inevitable because his respiratory system, over time, had been severely affected by the disease. In other words: the tiger died as a result of a lack of oxygen. 

c - Results of the disease: starvation

The autopsy suggested that the tiger had been suffering from his disease for some time. The lack of oxygen most probably resulted in one or more failed hunts, as hunting requires a lot of energy, especially in winter. In Amur country, wild boars hunted by tigers select sloping hills to stay ahead. For a tiger, it takes a lot of stamina to reach the wild boar he hunts.

If the tiger, as a result of his disease, had been unsuccesful on more than one occasion (likely), chances are he had been starving for some time. The photograph showed a big-skulled and muscular male, but he seemed a bit below par.        

Maybe the large wild boar was his last chance. 

The wild boar

The photograph showed that the length of the skull of the boar was at least 450 mm., meaning his head was over 500 mm. Large by any standard. Maybe the wild boar was a seasoned old warrior, as his tusks seemed a bit short. Old male wild boars often live on their own and don't care that much about tigers. Not in India and not in Russia. An old boar knows it would take quite a tiger to take him out. 

The struggle

There are no details in the article I read, but the tiger was severely injured during the struggle. Could have been an injury to his legs, because he was hardly able to walk after the struggle. If we include the results of the autopsy, one could say it was a small miracle that he had been able to kill the large wild boar.

I read quite a few reports about tigers injured and killed by wild boars. Most reports are from India. Amur tigers seem to do quite well against wild boars. I don't know why that is, as Ussuri wild boars are larger than those in India, whereas Amur tigers are not larger than Indian tigers. If anything, they're not as heavy.

The difference between Russia and India for tigers is opportunity. In India, tigers often have the opportunity to select their target. Adult male tigers often select large herbivores. I'm not saying that a large herbivore is an easy prey, but it is a fact that tigers in India only very seldom perish in struggles. Ullas karanth found a male tiger killed by a gaur, but incidents of this nature a few and far between. In Russia, on the other hand, tigers often have no option but to hunt dangerous animals. As a result of a lack of large herbivores, tigers have to include bears and wild boars. This results in experience for those who survive an encounter. Recent studies suggest that quite a few tigers prefer bears over other animals in some seasons (...). 

Tigers and bears in Russia have been discussed at length. This is not true for wild boars. I posted a few articles in this thread, but all in all I'd say we could use a bit more. The problem is there's not that much available.

Here's a few pictures posted before:

- Bulgaria. Definitely well below 200 kg. (440 lbs.). Picture from a hunting book I got from someone I met:

- Turkey (first posted by Warsaw):

- Another very large (781 lbs.) male boar from Turkey (Nitroexpress):

India:

- Skull of the Amur boar that featured in this post (from the article posted by Wolverine):

A hunt in Tadjikistan

When I tried to find a bit more about wild boars and tigers in the Russian Far East, I came up empty. I did, however find a number of shortish videos about wild boars in Europe, Asia Minor and Central Asia. I selected Central Asia, because it's closest to the Russian Far East. Another reason is wild boars seem to be, ehhh, more wild in Asia.

Posting a video about a hunt in a forum like this one has disadvantages. More often than not, you see some people with powerful rifles firing from a very comfortable position. They don't eat the animal they kill, but take his skull or skin home to show they were there. At home, the cat and mouse game with those opposed to hunting starts. I can understand the eagerness to get close to a wild animal, but the days of true hunting, in my opinion, are over.

What is true hunting? A one-on-one on your own. On foot. More or less equal terms. And no fixed winner.

The man below hunted a man-eating tigress in Orissa. She had killed and eaten over 200 people. It took him a very long time to get close to her. When he did, he had to abandon the hunt as a result of tough circumstances, stress and faling health. When he returned, stress again struck. But he succedded when he had dressed as a local for some days. When the tigress approached, coincidence had it his cook recorded the moment she was shot:

Anyhow. Big cats and a few other dangerous animals feature in a lot of documentaries, but I've yet to see one on, say, wild boars. In order to show you that an adult male wild boar is not an easy target for any tiger, I decided for this one. Swallow your opinion, don't hold it against me and go to 04:25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv8tknuIY9A

Tadjikistan was Caspian tiger territory. Caspian tigers, depending on region, disappeared between 1920-1970 (perhaps 1980 in some regions, but I still hear rumours about tigers seen in remote parts of Central Asia), but the boars remained. They're not hunted by big cats anymore. 

Maybe you can find a good documentary about wild boars. If you do, don't hesitate to post it. Remember we want good info about the Ussuri wild boars, not those in other parts of the world.

Wolverine and Diamir2

Interesting posts. Many thanks on behalf of all interested in Amur tigers and wild boars. Anything known about the length and weight of the tiger?
Big powerful Wild boars with huge teeth

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Diamir2 - 08-24-2017

Tiger wasn't injured in the fight.
 "tiger’s death occurred from lymphoma"
"Результаты исследований и их обсуждение. В результате клинического осмотра установлено, что при жизни у тигра амурского имелись признаки алиментарной дистрофии, обезвоживания, паралича задних конечностей и хвоста, наличие пролежней, кровотечения из носовых полостей, атонии кишечника и пареза мочевого пузыря. При патоморфологическом исследовании у тигра обнаружены пролежни в области седалищного бугра, коленного и скакательного суставов, мацерация кожи в области паха и внутренних поверхностей задних конечностей с резким запахом мочи. В области задних конечностей и хвоста уменьшение объема и светло-красное окрашивание мышц, отсутствие трупного окоченения, студневидное состояние подкожной клетчатки, отсутствие удерживаемости волосяного покрова (вырывается пучком, волосяные луковицы сухие). Установлены признаки алиментарной дистрофии (студневидное перерождение эпикардиального жира, отсутствие подкожного, околопочечного жира и темно-желтое окрашивание остатков подкожного жира), обезвоживания (западение в орбиту глазного яблока, отсутствие эластичности кожи).

Выявлено гнилостное воспаление решетчатых костей носовых пазух с повреждением кровеносного сосуда и последующим носовым кровотечением, гнилостное воспаление рыхлой соедини- тельной ткани по верхнему краю трахеи и в средостении грудной клетки со скоплением пузырьков воздуха и крепитацией рыхлой соединительной ткани над трахеей, скопление плеврального выпота. В области остистых отростков на протяжении всех грудных позвонков обнаружено гнилостное воспаление мышечной ткани и фасций, гиперплазия бронхиальных, средостенных, брыжеечных, коленной складки, предлопаточных лимфатических узлов. Печень желто-коричневого цвета, дряблой консистенции, легко рвется. Гистологически установлена зернистая, жировая дистрофия гепатоцитов. Почки увеличены, светло-коричневого цвета, с множественными включениями размером от горошины до грецкого ореха, серовато-красного цвета. В лоханках почек мутное серозно-гнойное содержимое, мочевой пузырь переполнен мочой (2,9 л), стенки растянуты, сосуды сужены. В почках, надпочечниках, селезенке, печени, легких, щитовидной железе, в средостении, на легочной плевре, стенке аорты, трахеи обнаружены серовато- белого и темно-красного цвета округлые, различного размера новообразования. Микроскопическим исследованием гистологических срезов проб органов и тканей (селезенка, печень, надпочечники, почка) выявлены морфологические признаки диффузной полиморфно- клеточной опухолевой лимфоидной пролиферации, соответствующие лимфоме полиморфноклеточного строения из клеток Т-типа, с локализацией очагов в надпочечнике, почках, печени, мягких тканях с очагами кровоизлияний и некроза, выраженными проявлениями реактивного воспаления; очаговая серозно-десквамативная пневмония; очаги острой альвеолярной эмфиземы и дистелектазом в легких. 
"
It was a seriously ill tiger.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 08-24-2017

(08-24-2017, 02:07 AM)Diamir2 Wrote: Tiger wasn't injured in the fight.
 "tiger’s death occurred from lymphoma"
"Результаты исследований и их обсуждение. В результате клинического осмотра установлено, что при жизни у тигра амурского имелись признаки алиментарной дистрофии, обезвоживания, паралича задних конечностей и хвоста, наличие пролежней, кровотечения из носовых полостей, атонии кишечника и пареза мочевого пузыря. При патоморфологическом исследовании у тигра обнаружены пролежни в области седалищного бугра, коленного и скакательного суставов, мацерация кожи в области паха и внутренних поверхностей задних конечностей с резким запахом мочи. В области задних конечностей и хвоста уменьшение объема и светло-красное окрашивание мышц, отсутствие трупного окоченения, студневидное состояние подкожной клетчатки, отсутствие удерживаемости волосяного покрова (вырывается пучком, волосяные луковицы сухие). Установлены признаки алиментарной дистрофии (студневидное перерождение эпикардиального жира, отсутствие подкожного, околопочечного жира и темно-желтое окрашивание остатков подкожного жира), обезвоживания (западение в орбиту глазного яблока, отсутствие эластичности кожи).

Выявлено гнилостное воспаление решетчатых костей носовых пазух с повреждением кровеносного сосуда и последующим носовым кровотечением, гнилостное воспаление рыхлой соедини- тельной ткани по верхнему краю трахеи и в средостении грудной клетки со скоплением пузырьков воздуха и крепитацией рыхлой соединительной ткани над трахеей, скопление плеврального выпота. В области остистых отростков на протяжении всех грудных позвонков обнаружено гнилостное воспаление мышечной ткани и фасций, гиперплазия бронхиальных, средостенных, брыжеечных, коленной складки, предлопаточных лимфатических узлов. Печень желто-коричневого цвета, дряблой консистенции, легко рвется. Гистологически установлена зернистая, жировая дистрофия гепатоцитов. Почки увеличены, светло-коричневого цвета, с множественными включениями размером от горошины до грецкого ореха, серовато-красного цвета. В лоханках почек мутное серозно-гнойное содержимое, мочевой пузырь переполнен мочой (2,9 л), стенки растянуты, сосуды сужены. В почках, надпочечниках, селезенке, печени, легких, щитовидной железе, в средостении, на легочной плевре, стенке аорты, трахеи обнаружены серовато- белого и темно-красного цвета округлые, различного размера новообразования. Микроскопическим исследованием гистологических срезов проб органов и тканей (селезенка, печень, надпочечники, почка) выявлены морфологические признаки диффузной полиморфно- клеточной опухолевой лимфоидной пролиферации, соответствующие лимфоме полиморфноклеточного строения из клеток Т-типа, с локализацией очагов в надпочечнике, почках, печени, мягких тканях с очагами кровоизлияний и некроза, выраженными проявлениями реактивного воспаления; очаговая серозно-десквамативная пневмония; очаги острой альвеолярной эмфиземы и дистелектазом в легких. 
"
It was a seriously ill tiger.

Yes, I thought so too. I believed that 7-8 years old tiger was probably sick or something. I seen videos of tiger hunting boar (It's all Bengal tiger from India and captive South China tiger in China). Every tigers killed wild boar extremely easily. Even leopard in India and Africa killing boar and warthog without serious trouble. I was wondered if tiger would get bad injuries and struggling in a fight because of boar unless it was a sick or young tiger. 

I remember the Siberian tiger is hunting wild boar from the Korean documentary long time ago. The Siberian tiger killed within 5 to 10 seconds after grabbed its neck.

This is what I read too
"Boars of all ages were once the primary prey of tigers in Transcaucasia, Kazakhstan, Middle Asia and the Far East up until the late 19th century. In modern times, tiger numbers are too low to have a limiting effect on boar populations. A single tiger can systematically destroy an entire sounder by preying on its members one by one, before moving on to another herd. Tigers have been noted to chase boars for longer distances than with other prey. In two rare cases, boars were reported to gore a small tiger and a tigress to death in self-defense. In the Russian Far East, wild boars are one of the two most important prey species for tigers alongside the Manchurian wapiti.  with the two species collectively comprising roughly 80% of the felid's prey. In Sikhote Alin, a tiger can kill 30–34 boars a year. Studies of tigers in India indicate that boars are usually secondary in preference to various cervids and bovids, though when boars are targeted, healthy adults are caught more frequently than young and sick specimens."

Siberian tiger is eating wild boar