WildFact
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Premier Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-premier-section)
+--- Forum: Edge of Extinction (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-edge-of-extinction)
+--- Thread: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) (/topic-on-the-edge-of-extinction-a-the-tiger-panthera-tigris)

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - TIGERS (Panthera tigris) - Pckts - 11-01-2016

(10-31-2016, 11:16 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: No measurements and weights, but still a good view of a good sized male tiger:

Bulky boy

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - TIGERS (Panthera tigris) - Roflcopters - 11-01-2016

(10-27-2016, 07:47 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-27-2016, 11:08 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: The Kanha male at 197kg was an old "Kankatta" way out of his prime age, in his prime I'd assume he was a good 30 kilograms heavier and the 185kg Gabbar was confirmed out of shape during the time he was weighed. id say in his prime he was at max about 20 kilograms heavier.

Do you know how old kankatta was when weighed?

He was around 11 years old and one of the oldest tiger of Kanha besides Munna.

http://www.21stcenturytiger.org/2014/07/10/mataki-tags-trip-report/

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - TIGERS (Panthera tigris) - peter - 11-01-2016

APOLLO AND PARVEZ

Thanks for the corrections on Hairyfoot and the Nagarahole tiger.

As to the reason. When I want to use an article or a photograph for a post, I use Photobucket to edit the scan. When done, the result is returned to my computer. What I use for the forum, comes from my computer, I mean.

Photobucket is an important tool, but it has become unreliable. More often than not, I'm unable to log in. When I succeed, I can't work for long because of all the errors. Preparing a post, for this reason, has become a time-consuming and irritating affair. As errors, irritation and mistakes get along just fine, the number of mistakes had risen.   

As there's nothing wrong with the computer, I decided to find out a bit more about Photobucket. What I saw, strongly suggests Photobucket is suffering from problems. As they're unable to solve them, I decided to call it a day. I'm deleting all albums, that is. May take a while as a result of the problems mentioned above.

I'm not saying mistakes are a result of unreliable tools only, but they are connected. I saw the Panna documentary more than once and have the picture of Hairyfoot you posted. When I was done editing and sent it to my computer, another Photobucket error made it disappear completely. Hours later, tired after a few hours of trying, I sent a picture of a more or less similar tiger to the forum. I just didn't see it and it wasn't the first time. 

Anyhow. I need a new tool to edit scans and pictures. If any of you has an idea, I'll be interested.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - TIGERS (Panthera tigris) - parvez - 11-01-2016

@ peter it happens sometimes. It happened with me quite a number of times when we are deeply involved in some work we get confused with the stuff. It happened when I was trying comparisons of tiger sizes. It is out of tiredness I suppose. As for photo editing tools, I would recommend photoscape. It is simple to use and has quite a number of tools for a good quality edit.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - TIGERS (Panthera tigris) - Pckts - 11-01-2016

(11-01-2016, 03:18 PM)Roflcopters Wrote:
(10-27-2016, 07:47 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-27-2016, 11:08 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: The Kanha male at 197kg was an old "Kankatta" way out of his prime age, in his prime I'd assume he was a good 30 kilograms heavier and the 185kg Gabbar was confirmed out of shape during the time he was weighed. id say in his prime he was at max about 20 kilograms heavier.

Do you know how old kankatta was when weighed?

He was around 11 years old and one of the oldest tiger of Kanha besides Munna.

http://www.21stcenturytiger.org/2014/07/10/mataki-tags-trip-report/

I've been looking for that, thanks for posting.
11 years old is the tail end, was probably around 220kg in his prime, large boy for sure.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - TIGERS (Panthera tigris) - peter - 11-02-2016

CAMERA TRAP PHOTOGRAPHS FROM ROYAL CHITWAN (Nepal)

I think this was posted before, but I decided for a repost anyhow. The photographs underline that tigers are observative and inquisitive animals. Compared to Indian tigers, the stripe pattern of Chitwan tigers seems to be a bit different:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XujGHWq-BU8

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Kingtheropod - 11-10-2016

WII team radio-collars 2 tigers in Brahmapuri division

Chandrapur: Two sub-adult tigers, a male and a female of same litter, were radio-collared as a part of project titled 'Studying the dispersal of tigers across the Eastern Vidarbha Landscape', in Bramhapuri forest division in Chandrapur. At least three more tigers are expected to be fitted with satellite collars in Brahmapuri division in the phase-II collaring exercise under the project.
The report submitted by WII expert Habib Bilal to state forest department stated the operation was taken up earlier in the first week of June in South Brahmapuri range. The expert team tracked and located the female cub in the morning of June 3, near Mama talao in Halda. The team successfully darted the cub, set the collar and took the necessary body measurement as per standard protocol.
The female cub weighing 104kg was set free after administering revival drug and entire operation was accomplished within 40 minutes.
The WII team carried out the collaring exercise on sub-adult male of same litter at the same place the next day (June 4). The tiger was tranquillized, captured and collared by experts. The operation was carried out smoothly and the collared male weighing 147kg was set free after revival, Bilal has stated in his report submitted on Saturday.
CCF, Chandrapur, Sanjay Thakre ratified the radio-collaring of two tigers in South Brahmapuri range. We have marked three more tigers for radio-collaring. The same WII team will carry out the collaring of these marked individuals in coming day. Collaring of sub-adult tigers just separated from mother helps in studying their dispersal and behavioural pattern. Collaring also helps studying the conflict situation as these sub-adult tigers disperse in the forest. If any of them settles near human habitation or starts creating trouble, then they can be tracked and removed with the help of collar, he said.
Thakre informed that the tigers being collared are those being marked for proposed tiger translocation project. Collaring will serve twofold purpose for these Brahmapuri tigers. While they are here, collars will help in studying their dispersal and behavioural pattern. Once translocation project is finalized, they will be tracked with the help of collars and captured for translocation. Satellite collars will again help tracking these shifted tigers in new location and study them in new habitat, he explained.
While the team led by WII scientist Bilal successfully radio-collared two tigers in Brahmapuri, it failed to tranquillize target tigers in Umred-Karhandla and Tipeshwar wildlife sanctuaries during the seven-day schedule in phase-II collaring exercise. The team has decided to try collaring these carnivores in the next phase.
Talking to TOI, Bilal said they have planned collaring of 15 tigers in Vidarbha. He however did not give his schedule for next collaring exercise.
Jai, Gabbar re-collared
The report on radio-collaring of tigers states the popular tiger of Umred Karhandla wildlife sanctuary 'Jai' and adult male of Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve 'Gabbar' were re-collared during the first phase of radio-collaring in March earlier this year.
Bilal's report states that, Jai was intensively tracked from Pauni to Umred range and was darted on the Karhandla road on March 18. The previous collar on Jai, which had malfunctioned due to unknown reason, was replaced with a new one. Gabbar too was tranquillized on March 19, and its collar replaced. Gabbar was first collared on October 19, 2014.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/WII-team-radio-collars-2-tigers-in-Brahmapuri-division/articleshow/52718525.cms

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Kingtheropod - 11-10-2016

Trapped tiger rescued in Tapah   

TAPAH: An adult male tiger was rescued and sent to the National Wildlife Rescue Centre (NWRC) after it got ensnared in a trap at Batu 10, Jalan Pahang here on Sunday.
State Wildlife and National Parks Department (Perhilitan) director Rozidan Mohd Yassin said the relocation exercise began at 8am today.
"It was tranquilised at 9.40am by a NWRC personnel and only fell asleep at 1.20pm," he said.
He said the tiger, estimated to be between 14 and 17 years of age and weighing 170kg, got trapped in an Orang Asli boar trap.
"It was successfully moved to NWRC at 2pm," he said.

*This image is copyright of its original author

A picture of the sedated Malaysian tiger

http://news.asiaone.com/news/malaysia/tiger-caught-perak-wild-boar-trap

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/02/127619/trapped-tiger-rescued-tapah

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 11-10-2016

The first link (AsiaOne Malaysia News) says:

" ... He added that the animal was between 14 and 17 years old, and weighed about 170 kg. This is the second incident involving a tiger in the country in about a fortnight. On Feb. 5, a pregnant tiger was killed after it was hit by a vehicle as it crossed the East Coast Expressway 2 in Pahang. It is believed that there are only about 300 tigers left in the wild in Malaysia ... " (AsiaOne Malaysia News).

A lot of information in 3 sentences only. We now know that Malaysia has about 300 wild tigers. One of them, a pregnant female at that, was killed on February 5 (2016?) on the East Coast Expressway 2 in Pahang. My take for now is that the weight of the old male tiger (14-17 years of age is quite something for a wild male), most probably, was estimated. He could have been weighed, but I don't think he was. 

Not quite good enough to include in the table, but I printed the info as there's isn't much about Malaysia.

Maybe you can contact the authorities in Malaysia, Pod. There apparently also is a report about the pregnant tigress killed while crossing the East Coast Expressway 2. It could be they also know a bit more about both animals (the male and the female). A wild male of 170 kg. (382 lbs.) is heavy for Pahang. Well over a century ago, tigers exceeding 9 feet in total length measured 'between pegs' were shot every now and then (one shot by the Sultan of Johore had a skull with a greatest total length of 365 mm.), but today tigers in the southern tip of Malaysia (Panthera tigris jacksoni) seem to be similar in size to Sumatran tigers. Any wild tiger over 150 kg. (332 lbs.) is remarkable.  

Good find anyhow and thanks.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - GuateGojira - 11-13-2016

Actually @peter, the word "about" do not suggest that it was an estimation (like the age), but probably that weighed around 170 kg. Is important to remember that some of those scales are old and in pounds (I have a vídeo of a leopard and a tiger been weighed in a scale like that). So I guess that the convertion gives a rounded figure of 170 kg. Maybe we can contact the investigators and confirm the figure, like we have done with all the new Bengal tiger weights. By the way, 170 kg seems good form a Malayan tiger, they are not so small.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Roflcopters - 11-13-2016

(11-10-2016, 12:27 PM)Kingtheropod Wrote: WII team radio-collars 2 tigers in Brahmapuri division

Chandrapur: Two sub-adult tigers, a male and a female of same litter, were radio-collared as a part of project titled 'Studying the dispersal of tigers across the Eastern Vidarbha Landscape', in Bramhapuri forest division in Chandrapur. At least three more tigers are expected to be fitted with satellite collars in Brahmapuri division in the phase-II collaring exercise under the project.
The report submitted by WII expert Habib Bilal to state forest department stated the operation was taken up earlier in the first week of June in South Brahmapuri range. The expert team tracked and located the female cub in the morning of June 3, near Mama talao in Halda. The team successfully darted the cub, set the collar and took the necessary body measurement as per standard protocol.
The female cub weighing 104kg was set free after administering revival drug and entire operation was accomplished within 40 minutes.
The WII team carried out the collaring exercise on sub-adult male of same litter at the same place the next day (June 4). The tiger was tranquillized, captured and collared by experts. The operation was carried out smoothly and the collared male weighing 147kg was set free after revival, Bilal has stated in his report submitted on Saturday.
CCF, Chandrapur, Sanjay Thakre ratified the radio-collaring of two tigers in South Brahmapuri range. We have marked three more tigers for radio-collaring. The same WII team will carry out the collaring of these marked individuals in coming day. Collaring of sub-adult tigers just separated from mother helps in studying their dispersal and behavioural pattern. Collaring also helps studying the conflict situation as these sub-adult tigers disperse in the forest. If any of them settles near human habitation or starts creating trouble, then they can be tracked and removed with the help of collar, he said.
Thakre informed that the tigers being collared are those being marked for proposed tiger translocation project. Collaring will serve twofold purpose for these Brahmapuri tigers. While they are here, collars will help in studying their dispersal and behavioural pattern. Once translocation project is finalized, they will be tracked with the help of collars and captured for translocation. Satellite collars will again help tracking these shifted tigers in new location and study them in new habitat, he explained.
While the team led by WII scientist Bilal successfully radio-collared two tigers in Brahmapuri, it failed to tranquillize target tigers in Umred-Karhandla and Tipeshwar wildlife sanctuaries during the seven-day schedule in phase-II collaring exercise. The team has decided to try collaring these carnivores in the next phase.
Talking to TOI, Bilal said they have planned collaring of 15 tigers in Vidarbha. He however did not give his schedule for next collaring exercise.
Jai, Gabbar re-collared
The report on radio-collaring of tigers states the popular tiger of Umred Karhandla wildlife sanctuary 'Jai' and adult male of Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve 'Gabbar' were re-collared during the first phase of radio-collaring in March earlier this year.
Bilal's report states that, Jai was intensively tracked from Pauni to Umred range and was darted on the Karhandla road on March 18. The previous collar on Jai, which had malfunctioned due to unknown reason, was replaced with a new one. Gabbar too was tranquillized on March 19, and its collar replaced. Gabbar was first collared on October 19, 2014.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/WII-team-radio-collars-2-tigers-in-Brahmapuri-division/articleshow/52718525.cms

Brahmapuri forest division has a really good prey base and an amazing forest suitable for the healthiest tigers. it has some of the biggest tigers of Central India, the female cub of 140kg and 147kg for the male cub was impressive. at an Adult age, she would probably hit 160kg or upwards. that's a big tigress for sure.

Do you have the link for the first report, any idea how old these cubs were?

I just ran a quick google search and saw this, looks like the male cub was killed in a fight shortly after.

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/nagpur/Sub-adult-tiger-killed-in-territorial-fight/articleshow/53642646.cms

Tfs

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - P.T.Sondaica - 11-13-2016

(11-13-2016, 02:33 PM)Roflcopters Wrote:
(11-10-2016, 12:27 PM)Kingtheropod Wrote: WII team radio-collars 2 tigers in Brahmapuri division

Jai, Gabbar re-collared

Brahmapuri forest division has a really good prey base and an amazing forest suitable for the healthiest tigers. it has some of the biggest tigers of Central India, the female cub of 140kg and 147kg for the male cub was impressive. at an Adult age, she would probably hit 160kg or upwards. that's a big tigress for sure.

Do you have the link for the first report, any idea how old these cubs were?

I just ran a quick google search and saw this, looks like the male cub was killed in a fight shortly after.

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/nagpur/Sub-adult-tiger-killed-in-territorial-fight/articleshow/53642646.cms

Tfs

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - P.T.Sondaica - 11-13-2016

Javan tiger in @peter data is big than malay tiger

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Kingtheropod - 11-15-2016

Killing a man-eating tigress: 45 days, 200 men, 120 camera traps, five shooters, four dogs and three elephants

New Delhi– Parag Madhukar Dhakate, the forest officer who led one of India’s largest and most modern operations to kill a man-eating tigress on the periphery of Jim Corbett National Park, is not a happy man. On Thursday, the jungle was stripped of another big cat which Dhakate had wanted to capture alive.

It took over 45 days, 200 men, 120 camera traps, eight cages, five shooters, four sniffer dogs, three elephants, two night and thermal vision drones and a helicopter — in a confined area of just 20 km sq to track down the six-year-old tigress, which was already sick and injured.

Ramnagar town of Nainital district in September.
She drew her last breath in the same fields where she grew up — towards the park’s southern region. Ten bullets were shot at her, of which three hit her in the head, and the rest in the stomach and left hind leg.
“Killing her was not the only solution. Our preference was to capture her by tranquilising or trapping. Four attempts of tranquilising were made from helicopter, some from elephants and even from the ground, but she was very swift even after being sick,” Dhakate, Conservator of Forests, Uttarakhand, told IANS.
He said that the public outcry was increasing each day as the terror of a man-eater was barring villagers from harvesting their crops.
“We tried our best to get her alive. Had our sole aim been killing, the operation wouldn’t have lasted a week,” he added.
A day before she was killed, the tigress attacked a member of the search team after a non-fatal shot hit her. As per the protocol, her carcass was burned after post mortem.
The tigress weighed merely 91 kg, while an adult tigress normally weighs 140-160 kg. On inspection, several claws and canines were found missing while her other teeth were grinded down. Officials couldn’t explain this, but said that under such conditions tigers often go after humans — the “softest of the soft” targets.
“She was born and brought up in the agricultural landscape. She preferred staying in those areas making it difficult for us to track her down. Sugarcane and long grasses gave her perfect cover,” Dhakate said. He added that there were no records that the tigress ever produced a litter or got pregnant.
The fields where she used to live, now revenue land, are used by farmers to grow sugarcane and paddy. Like many other national parks in India, such areas have become the perfect abode for tigers as they have abundance of water, prey and a supportive habitat.
Night camera images showed that the same habitat she lived in was also shared by a leopard.
“Day by day such revenue lands around forest are being used up for sugarcane and paddy cultivation,” Dhakate told IANS. Such legal inroads often lead to man-animal conflicts.
When the tigress was killed, many villagers celebrated. However, for Dhakate there was nothing to rejoice.
“It was not a matter of celebration for us, but for restoring confidence among the local people. By eliminating one man-eater a generalised negative approach towards the species was avoided,” he said.
He said that wildlife conservation was dependent on the traditional ethos of the local communities which co-exist in wildlife landscape and not in the “fiefdom of scientists, bureaucrats or armchair conservationists on social media,” he said.
India’s oldest national park, Corbett, named after legendary colonial hunter Jim Corbett, last time dealt with man-eaters in 2014 and 2011. Shrinking forests and encroachments by humans make conservationists fear that such phenomena may continue.

http://indianewengland.com/2016/10/killing-man-eating-tigress-45-days-200-men-120-camera-traps-five-shooters-four-dogs-three-elephants/

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - GrizzlyClaws - 11-18-2016

@peter

Some fine looking tiger skull.