WildFact
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Premier Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-premier-section)
+--- Forum: Edge of Extinction (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-edge-of-extinction)
+--- Thread: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) (/topic-on-the-edge-of-extinction-a-the-tiger-panthera-tigris)

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 01-06-2019

Wolverine

I can understand 700~900 only in Primorsky Krai. I think the Siberian tigers were definitely more than 1000 if it was including every Khabarovsk Krai, Primorsky Krai, Amur Krai, and Zabaykalsk Krai.
From record, it believed that around 363 km2 area had 4~10 tigers in southern Korea 100 years ago. Is it high tiger density?

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Shadow - 01-06-2019

I put here two tables of one research about radio-collared Amur tigers. If someone is interested to read it all, it is easy to find using name of it in google search.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Shadow - 01-06-2019

(01-06-2019, 05:49 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(01-05-2019, 09:07 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 08:47 PM)peter Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 09:05 AM)Wolverine Wrote: Reason for scavenging of wolf kills by brown bears which probably could be applied for the brown bears and tigers as well:

"Additionally, grizzly bears now take advantage of the predatory behavior of wolves by waiting for the wolves to finish hunting and then contesting the wolves for access to the carcasses of their kill (Smith et al., 2003). As a result of being the larger animal in these standoffs, bears usually win, giving them access to food without the work involved in actually tracking down and killing the prey themselves (Smith et al., 2003). In addition to the obvious benefit of being able to consume this food, the grizzly bear populations do not have to expend the energy to hunt, as they now have a species that virtually does the hunting for them (Smith et al., 2003)."

https://www.lakeforest.edu/live/news/5515-impact-of-wolf-reintroduction-on-bison-and-grizzly?preview=1

Yes, read that one some years ago. It's no doubt true regarding brown bears and wolves in the northern part of the Americas. Same for bears and pumas. There is, however, a difference between wolves, pumas and tigers.

AUTHORITIES ON BEARS AND TIGERS IN THE RUSSIAN FAR EAST- RECENT PAST (1900-2010)

Over the years, I've read quite a bit on tigers and bears in the Russian Far East. Most authorities agreed that large bears displaced tigers more or less at will (1). Although they admitted that tigers hunt more bears than the other way round, that mainly was a result of tigers deciding when to hunt what bears where (2). Tigers, of course, decided for cubs most of the time (3). If they took a largish bear, it was a result of an ambush (4). In a one-on-one in non-ambush conditions, bears, if of similar size, would previal more often than not (5). Even large females came at quite a cost (6). Tigers disputing authorities, of course, often paid. No less than 12 perished in fights with bears over the years (7). All in all, they agreed that bears were 'too dangerous' to hunt for tigers (8). Etc.

I'm not saying large bears would be unable to displace male tigers. I'm also not saying that tigers and bears is a one-sided affair. Recent research, however, says it's about time to redefine a few statements that survived the ages.

TIGERS AND BEARS IN THE SICHOTE-ALIN NATURE RESERVE 1992-2013  - DISPLACEMENT

A few weeks ago, an interesting document ('Interspecific Relationsships Between the Amur Tiger (Panthera tigris altaica and the Brown Bear (Ursus arctos) and Asiatic Black Bears (Ursus thibetanus', Seryodkin et al., 2017) was discussed in this thread.

In the period 1992-2013, researchers found 763 animals eaten by tigers. Of these, 378 were eaten in the period that bears were not hibernating. In 11 of these 378 cases (2,91%), tigers were displaced, whereas bear and tiger shared in 7 cases (1,85%). Tigers lost, or partly lost, 4,76% of their kills to bears. Less than 1 in 20, that is.      

In the 11 cases of displacement (in one of them an adult male Himalayan black bear was involved), bears displaced tigresses (in one case, the gender of the tiger was unknown). Of the 7 tigers forced to share their kill with bears, 1 was an adult male tiger. 

All in all, we're talking about 18 cases in which tigers were displaced by bears or forced to share in the period 1992-2013. Less than once a year. And 'tigers' turned out to be tigresses in nearly all cases.

TIGERS AND BEARS IN THE SICHOTE-ALIN NATURE RESERVE 1992-2013 - TIGERS HUNTING BEARS

In the period 1992-2013, 8 Himalayan black bears and 9 brown bears were eaten by tigers. Of the 9 brown bears, 2 (an adult male and an adult female) were not killed by tigers. Of the other 7, two ranged between 1-4 years of age. The others were adult females. Of the 8 Himalayan black bears, 2 were young adults. The others (males and females) were adult.

Tigers killed less than 1 bear a year in the Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve in the period 1992-2013, that is. Of the 15 they killed themselves, 2 (brown bears) were immature. All others were adults.

Which tigers hunt bears? Of the 15 bears killed by 'tigers', 8 were killed by adult male tigers. The other 7, therefore, most probably were killed by adult tigresses.   

TIGERS AND BEARS IN 3 SITES IN THE RUSSIAN FAR EAST - TIGERS HUNTING BEARS 

Of the 378 animals eaten (and most probably killed) by tigers in the period that bears were available, 15 (3,97%) were bears (both species).  In the Sichote-Alin Nature reserve, the conclusion is that tigers are modest bear hunters.

According to Kerley et al. ('A Comparison of Food Habits of Amur Tiger (Panthera tigris altaica, Temminck, 1844) at three sites in the Russian Far East', 2015), bears are more often hunted in the south of Sichote-Alin. Corrected for pseudo-replication, the percentages are quite high:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Remember that the percentages refer to biomass, not the number of animals killed by tigers. Also remember that most bears were hunted in summer, not winter.

Here's the map in the article of Kerley et al. There is some confusion about the location of the Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve. It's the reserve in the northeastern part of Sichote-Alin (no. 1 on the map below). In the map, that reserve is the Southwest Primorskii Krai (SW). 

My guess is a mistake was made. Same for the percentages in that 1 was 3 and the other way round:  

CONCLUSIONS

The info in this post is without the observations of K.N. Tkatchenko ('Peculiarities of nutrition of the Amur tiger Panthera tigris altaica (Carnivora, Felidae) in a densely populated locality (on the example of the Bolshekhtsirsky reserve and its environs'), 2012). The tigers he studied in the northwestern part of Sichote-Alin were heavily involved in bears.

Based on these 3 studies published in 2012, 2015 and 2017, we can get to a number of conclusions. One could say that each of them debunks an assumption close to a myth and be close.  

01 - Although tigers in the Russian Far East are wild boar hunters foremost, bears are an important food source. Biomasswise, bears are as important as wild boars in some regions.

02 - Most bears are not hunted in winter, as many assume, but in summer. 

03 - Tigers in the Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve (situated close to the coast) are modest bear hunters: about 4% of all animals killed in the period 1992-2013 are bears. In reserves in the northwestern, southeastern and southwestern part of Sichote-Alin, the percentages are (significantly) higher.  

04 - In the Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve, brown bear cubs (< 1 year of age) were not hunted in the period 1992-2013. Two of the 7 brown bears killed ranged between 2-4 years of age. The other 5 were adult females, averaging 140-150 kg. Of the 9 Himalayan black bears killed, 2 were young adults. The other 7 were adult. Of the 15 bears killed (both species), 11 were adult, whereas two (Himalayan black bears) were young adults. One of the two immature brown bears killed a was 3-4 year old male. Based on the info I have on the size of immature male brown bears, the bear could have been as heavy as his killer, if not heavier.  

05 - Many assume that bears, and brown bears in particular, are hunted by adult male tigers only. In the Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve, however, 8 of the 15 bears hunted in the period 1992-2013 were killed by adult male tigers. The other 7 bears were killed by young adult male tigers or adult tigresses, that is.

06 - In the Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve, tigers killed 378 animals in the period bears were not hibernating. Bears displaced tigers in 11 cases (2,91%). In 7 cases (1,85%), tiger and bear shared the kill. Tigers lost, or partly lost, less than 5% of their kills to bears, that is. Less than 1 in 20. This in a period of 21-22 years. And 'tigers' turned out to be tigresses in all but one case (in which an adult male tiger shared his kill with a brown bear).

07 - In the Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve, no tigers were killed by bears in the period 1992-2013.

08 - Based on 1-7, one can't, as some did, conclude that (brown) bears are 'too dangerous' to hunt. Tigers avoid adult male brown bears, but adult females " ... up to the largest and healthiest individuals ... " (Kerley, 2011) are hunted more often than many apparently assume.

Kerley's observation is supported by those of Bart Schleyer, who followed tigers in the snow. Most of them were older males, who had about a hundred pounds on the bears they followed. All bears were killed and all were killed with a bite to the base of the skull.

Recent observations suggest that the largest female brown bears killed by male tigers ranged between 150-200 kg. One of the male tigers was injured during the fight.  

09 - According to those who know, adult males of both species avoid each other. Although most favor the bear in a fight, male tigers were not displaced by brown bears in the Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve in the period 1992-2013. 

10 - In recent articles, researchers said 12 tigers have been killed by brown bears in fights. In 10, adult tigresses and youngish male tigers (adolescents and young adults) were involved. I know of two cases in which adult male tigers were killed by bears. The tiger killed in 1960 was a young adult male. That incident was described more than once. There's no info about the tiger killed in 1972.

Here is something about 07: "07 - In the Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve, no tigers were killed by bears in the period 1992-2013."

Here is another study (looks like to be overall of whole population) about mortality of Amur tigers 1985-1996. This study is partially overlapping with Sikhote-Alin report what comes to timeline. I have to say, that human caused death numbers were shocking in a way to realize, when we know how small number of tigers there is... But this report isn´t in contradiction with that, what Peter wrote. This report is from all population, not only from Sichote-Alin Nature Reserve. I haven´t seen more recent report yet about all Amur tiger population.
Very interesting Shadow. Where did you dig out this paper? If I am not wrong Its written that for the period 1985-1996 in entire RFE totaly 7 tigers have been killed by bears and 4 tigers have been killed by wild boars. But this data is for entire Russian Far East while the paper posted by Peter was only for Sihote Alin state reserve which is unsignificant percentage of Ussuriland teritory. So, there is no any contradiction.

I think, that from WCS Russia. And yes, this was from that time period and about all tigers in Russia, so no contradictions even though some overlapping what comes to timeline. It would be really something if there would have been contradictions when same people participating to both researches :)

(01-06-2019, 10:10 AM)Greatearth Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 09:49 AM)Wolverine Wrote: I remember that as a child red in Red book of Soviet Union (from 1980's or 1970's) that even in pre-industrial age, before human colonization of RFE Amur tiger's population was assessed at around 700-900, there were never more than 700-900 wild tigers in what is today Russian Ussuriland. Amur tigers have never been numerous. 

That's way we have to understand that there is only one true Kingdom of Tiger in this planet and this is INDIA. Tropical ecosystems are much more fertile than northern ecosystems, density of tropical tigers is 15-20 larger than dencity of Siberian tigers. In one small Kaziranga NP on territory of 430 sq.km. live 90 tigers while in gigantic Bikin NP with territory of 11 600 sq. km.  live only 40-50 tigers. 
Every square feet of Indian jungle is teeming with life, every square feet of Indian jungle is a diamond! @Rishi

Really? So Siberian tigers were always small numbers in Russia? 700-900 seems to be too small. Wouldn't be just in Ussuriland? How about other states in Russia? Moreover, places like Manchuria? I think Manchuria was once hold the highest populations of the Siberian tigers. Plus, many people also hunts their food like deer a lot in 20th century. Korea had a high density of tigers compared to its size.

I was always wondered that why tiger population was high in India even though they were exceptionally hunted just like in other Asia. It maybe different reasons. I don't know places like other South East Asia (India is also much larger than other SE Asia country). As for biodiversity, Indochina has much higher biodiversity than India. About population of large mammals seem to be different. However, I am curious why prey density in South East Asia is smaller than India.

China once had the Siberian tiger, Caspian tiger, South China tiger, Indochinese tiger, and Bengal tiger. China was also experienced different ecosystems throughout the times due to human impacts throughout each dynasties.
I am not sure how many tigers were in mainland China 100~150 years ago. I believe that Kingdom of Tiger was for both China and India, I would put more hand on China though. Difference is that chinese lost that title by themselves.

I am not quite sure, that what you mean here. Wolverine seemed to mention current area, where Amur tigers live. Still Amur tigers were in past and in present called Siberian tigers and their current range is only a fraction of it, what it was in past. There were tigers even around lake Baikal, when Russia was still ruled by Csar before Soviet Union. In that time there was for sure much much more, than only 700-900 tigers in Russia. But as Wolverine say, in current range of Amur tigers, that 700-900 could have been number of population back then.

We are talking about Amur tigers here, but it could be one discussion, that should it be after all called Siberian tiger so, that people would remember better about what we are talking about. 

This map is from wikipedia, but it looks to be good enough for this purpose if someone is confused about situation back then in year 1900:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_tiger#/media/File:Tiger_distribution3.PNG

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Shadow - 01-07-2019

When looking at bears in Ussuri area, in 2015 they showed for sure, that there they are. Lack of food makes people and animals behave in unnatural ways.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/04/russian-town-besieged-by-hungry-bears

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - epaiva - 01-07-2019

(01-07-2019, 08:23 PM)Shadow Wrote: When looking at bears in Ussuri area, in 2015 they showed for sure, that there they are. Lack of food makes people and animals behave in unnatural ways.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/04/russian-town-besieged-by-hungry-bears

@Shadow
Thanks for information and videos, the Bear they killed looked  big and powerful

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - brotherbear - 01-07-2019

I had the idea that tigers originated in a cold climate in China. Tigers in the tropics sometimes appear to be uncomfortably hot and thus spending time soaking in ponds and rivers. Have I been wrong in this assumption?

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Shadow - 01-07-2019

(01-07-2019, 08:44 PM)epaiva Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 08:23 PM)Shadow Wrote: When looking at bears in Ussuri area, in 2015 they showed for sure, that there they are. Lack of food makes people and animals behave in unnatural ways.

@Shadow
Thanks for information and videos, the Bear they killed looked  big and powerful

This is from September 2017, not so far from that other place. I put this here too, but no more only bear news from me here now. Sakhalin island is partially very close to mainland. Maybe some bears even swim from Sakhalin to mainland and vice versa...(?), It´s only 5 kilometers and brown bears are good swimmers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/16/hungry-bear-crisis-consumes-russia-far-east-sakhalin

Here is news from Finland and photo of a brown bear seen swimming in sea, just if someone is doubting :)

https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/201806142201015211

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Shadow - 01-11-2019

One article about tiger situation in India. Something to think about also when talking about tourism. Also interesting to notice same thing which I have been thinking... quite difficult to get information about tiger mortality in India. How much do we really know about overall situation? And does this same concern about rhinos and elephants... how many poached rhinos and elephants are reported as victims of tigers even if/when poachers have killed adult individuals..... easy to accuse tigers and wipe out real problem from public eye...?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40579567

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - brotherbear - 01-11-2019

From the site posted by Shadow; post #2035. A sad quote: "As thousands of camera-toting tourists go closer and closer into their habitat, the big cats get used to human proximity. This helps poachers get close to the animals and kill them."

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 01-11-2019

AMUR TIGRESS ASKING FOR HUMAN HELP PASSED AWAY

In post 1,985, I wrote about an old wild Amur tigress knocking on the door of a family living in a village not too far from Vladivostok. As help was badly needed, she added a few growls. This picture was taken after she had been darted:

In the rahabilitation center, she initially did quite well. Most unfortunately, the recovery was short-lived. The reason was a severe disease.

Here's a full report in the 'Siberian Times'. It has new photographs:    

https://siberiantimes.com/ecology/others/news/sadness-as-tigress-who-came-in-from-wild-to-ask-for-human-help-dies/

MALE AMUR TIGER 'TIKHON' 

The article in the 'Siberian Times' has a link to a recent article about wild male tiger 'Tikhon', who also said he could do with a bit of help. In order to underline the urgency of his problem, he killed two guard dogs and showed himself when ever possible. 

The rangers quickly understood and decided for a dart and a taxi to the rehabilitation center. Chances are it was his last trip, as he is at least 15 years of age. Remarkable in today's world.    

ABOUT INTENTION AND COMMUNICATION 

Those who work with captive big cats told me communication between humans and animals isn't a one-sided affair. Trainers know how to contact animals, but animals also know how to deliver a message. 

Most of us know about 'intention' from the dictionary, but in animals everything starts with that. Hunters seldom see animals when out in the forest. This is the reason they like to use dogs. Without their rifle, their attitude changes. Wild animals immediately notice. All tiger hunters saw their largest tiger when they were unarmed.   

Wild big cats know humans are way more dangerous than any other animal. That's why even experienced biologists and rangers seldom see them. Wild big cats can distinguish between rangers and poachers, but self-preservation always comes first. That's why they prefer to stay out of sight and reach.

When attitudes change over time, animals know. Do they respond?      

In the Russian Far East, the effort to save tigers and leopards is taken seriously by many. Same for habitat conservation. It had an effect. Animals are still poached, but most humans they see are different from poachers. It's more than likely that tigers noticed. They're still invisible, but some individuals apparently do not hesitate to contact humans when in need of help. Apparently, they know how to distinguish between poachers and rangers.

A bit over the top? Remember the tigress in Sumatra who left her cub on a trail often used by rangers? She was very close when they found and took her to a rehabilitation center. When they left, she let them know she had been there all the time. Unable to help her cub, she decided to contact humans. Yes, it was a decision. Taken by a wild tigress.        

A few years ago, a rehabilitation center was created in Primorye. Turned out to be a big assett. My advice would be to add a home for the elderly as well as a hospital. Life out there is tough.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 01-13-2019

THE FUTURE OF THE AMUR TIGER ACCORDING TO PIKUNOV - PART IV

k - Tiger corridors

In Part III of the series, two tiger corridors in Primorskii Krai (one running from south to north in the southeastern part and one running from east to west in the northern part) were discussed. 

Almost 20 years before Pikunov's article was published, he was interviewed by Bruce G. Marcot about the need of tiger corridors. In a paper prepared for a Web presentation, Marcot discussed the need of tiger corridors in 3 regions:

- an east-west corridor between the tip of northeastern China and the Khabarovskii Krai;
- a north-south corridor in Primorski Krai between the extreme southeastern districts and the Bikin region, and
- an east-west corridor between the northern tip of North-Korea and the eastern tip of northeastern China: 

http://www.plexusowls.com/PDFs/tiger_corridors.pdf

The east-west corridor in the Bikin region was added later. According to Wolverine, a part of this corridor has been realized not so long ago.

l - China

At the turn of the century (1990-2000), Amur tigers in northeastern China were nearly extinct. The few tigers seen every now and then all came from the southwestern tip of Sichote-Alin. In an effort to change the situation, Chinese, American and Russian biologists decided for cooperation.

It had an effect. Not much later, a new reserve (Hunchun Nature Reserve) was created. The Chinese made serious work of snares as well. As the number of snares decreased, the number of tigers increased. Here's a bit more about the program started almost two decades ago (WCS):    

https://russia.wcs.org/en-us/Projects/China-Russia-Transboundary-Program.aspx

Today, however, northeastern China has not, like in 2007, over 80 tigers, but 20-30 only. That number seems to be more or less stable. It's hard to say why the number of tigers in northeastern China is relatively low.  

In the recent past, tigers migrated between the southwestern tip of Sichote-Alin and and northeastern China. They still do. It could be they prefer the southwestern part of Sichote-Alin because the conditions are better. 

The behavior of Amur tigers in northeastern China points towards unfavourable conditions. In Sichote-Alin, tigers rarely attack domestic animals. In northeastern China, however, domestic animals are targeted more often. Could point a lack of large ungulates, but there are more factors that need to be considered. Road density, human density, economic development and, last but not least, hunting all have an effect. 

All in all, it seems northeastern China is just too densely populated to have a stable population of Amur tigers. The decision to create a large new reserve just southwest of the southwestern tip of Sichote-Alin suggests the Chinese agree.

Here's a bit more on the new reserve:

2016 - https://news.mongabay.com/2016/09/china-proposes-a-huge-national-park-for-amur-tigers-and-leopards/
2017 - https://www.chinadialogue.net/article/show/single/en/10074-China-s-big-cats-get-space-to-roam
2018 - https://e360.yale.edu/features/china-carves-out-a-park-for-the-imperiled-siberian-tiger

It seems they also made a few decisions on South China tigers (Panthera tigris amoyensis):

2001 - http://www.china.org.cn/english/2001/Jul/16445.htm
2015 - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320714004170 
2018 - http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201803/05/WS5a9d00e0a3106e7dcc13fa96.html

m - International cooperation

Although the efforts in Nepal, India, Thailand and some parts of Indonesia should not be underestimated, the Russians seem to lead the field in the department of information exchange. Here's a few links to interesting reads: 

2018 - https://wwf.ru/en/resources/news/amur/amurskiy-tigr-v-tsentre-vnimaniya-ekspertov-iz-8-stran/
2017 - https://www.wwf.de/fileadmin/fm-wwf/Publikationen-PDF/WWF-Studie-2017-Beyond-the-stripes-web.pdf

One more about the introduction of new technology. Also interesting:

2018 - https://medium.com/@WWF/tech-for-tigers-wwf-and-intel-test-ai-technology-for-monitoring-wild-tigers-in-china-2a5c93ece73c

n - China II

I'm well aware of the problems regarding trafficking, tiger farms, poaching and all the rest of it. It, however, also is a fact the Chinese authorities decided for a number of changes. There will be a new tiger reserve in the central part of southern China and there will be a new large reserve in northeastern China close to Russia. According to Miquelle, this reserve could accomodate up to 75 Amur tigers. It would be a significant contribution to the conservation of Amur tigers, provided they succeed in moving large communities out of the new reserves. A new legal framework to fight poaching is also needed. Same for anti-poaching teams. 

The conditions to accomodate wild Amur tigers in northeastern China are there. It's also clear that the intention to change the climate regarding wild animals is present. I agree a bit of pressure now and then is needed to assist them realizing their goals in the conservation department, but we have to remember it takes a long time to change a culture. Every step is important.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - GuateGojira - 01-13-2019

(01-07-2019, 08:47 PM)brotherbear Wrote: I had the idea that tigers originated in a cold climate in China. Tigers in the tropics sometimes appear to be uncomfortably hot and thus spending time soaking in ponds and rivers. Have I been wrong in this assumption?

In fact, it is normally stated that tigers originated from a cold climate for the reason that you explained. However, based in new genetic analysis it seems that the common idea that tiger originated in the north of China/Manchuria it not entirely correct, as it seems that the original steam seems to be from the north of Indochina/south of China region. Other posibility is that the new proposed region was cold but I have not studied the region in the Pleistocene so I am not sure about that.

Whatever happen with the origin of the tiger, it is clear that this is a species tide with woods and probably originated in relatively cold regions.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 01-14-2019

(12-25-2018, 07:22 AM)Wolverine Wrote: DHOLE (CUON ALPINUS) AS PART OF AMUR TIGER'S FAUNA COMPLEX

Dhole or Indian wild dog is probably the only mammal specie extinct from the forests of Russian Ussuriland. Ussuri dhole was the largest of all subspecies with long winter hair and once inhabited the southern parts of Primorskij region. Its start desapiaring during 20th century for not very clear reasons and was last spotted in 50's. 

Probably the only Usuri dhole trophy survived:

DECLINE OF THE DHOLE AS RESULT OF THE DECLINE OF AMUR TIGER AND RISE OF THE GREY WOLF IN RFE. STRANGE TRYANGLE.

Dholes are canids known to be bold towards big cats (tigers and leopards) and very shy and defensive towards other canids (especially grey wolves). In same time Amur tiger is notorious for his hostility and untolerance towards the grey wolves sometimes bordering a genocidal behavior. In places with high density of Amur tigers wolves almost completely disappear because tiger probably consider them as a prime competitor hunting same prey. 
During 19th century when tigers were plenty travelers in Russian Ussuriland almost didn't find any wolves. But when during 20th century Amur tigers were decapitated for first time wolves start appearing in large quantities in Sihote Alin mountains literaly invading it. Exactly in this period start decline and extinction of the dholes in Ussuriland. Is this coincidence? Probably not. Since dholes have never been persistently hunted by people and they inhabited mainly remote areas unsuitable for agriculture some Russian scientists sujest one of the main reasons for the decline of the Indian wild dogs in RFE was the rise of the grey wolf in 20th century as result of the decline of Amur tiger. Northern wolves as larger and more powerfull canids start pressing dholes. Tiger and dhole are mutualy tolerable species and they wonderfully coexist in same ecosystem. So, Amur tigers was a "guardian" of the Indian wild dogs and when it disappeared swiftly deseapeared the dholes. The most interesting is that dholes themselves are much bolder, sometimes said even aggressive toward tigers than wolves.

Probably one day Indian wild dog has to be re-introduced in Sihote Alin mountains, instead of exinct Ussuri subspecie could be used long haired dholes from Tibet (China). @peter what do you think? Once upon a time Russian Far East was second in the planet after India in terms of variety of big predators: tiger, leopard, brown bear, Asiatic black bear, grey wolf, dhole, lynx and wolverine.

Interesting post, Wolverine. This thread has some info on the Indian red dog, but not much on its relative in Manchuria and the Russian Far East. When the forum had just started, however, I posted on a book I found somewhere in Germany. As far as I know, the book was only published in Germany. Chances are, therefore, that most never heard about it.

In this post, I'll discuss the book once again. The post includes a number of scans. As the book was written by a German, you need to use the translator. I'll add a few remarks before every scan to help out.

'ROTE WOLFE, WEISSE TIGER' (Red wolves, white tigers)

The complete title is 'Rote Wölfe, weiße Tiger - Eine Jägerfahrt durch Schilfmeer und Taiga des fernen Asiens'. It was published in 1952 by the Bonner Buchgemeinde (special publication). The writer, Joseph M. Velter, dedicated the book to the man who was his companion on his travels in Siberia: " ... Meinem Freund und Gefährten Friedrich Wilhelm von Hornberg - zur Erinnerung an fünf siberische Jahre ... ".

a - About Joseph M. Velter and his companions

Velter, a German adventurer and hunter, traveled with a man called Imquist. Although his family in Canada was very well off, he, like Velter, preferred the outdoors. Three years before they entered Sichote-Alin, Velter and Imquist had found a man in a bad condition somewhere in a forest near the Mongolian border. After he had recovered, Semjon Pawlowitsch Pjetroff, a sturdy Russian with two right hands, never left them. They later learned he had deserted the Imperial Russian Army. Semjon was a crack shot.

For those who know about hunting. Velter and Imquist had two five-shot Mannlicher rifles, a Mauser rifle and just under 500 bullits. My guess is they visited Sichote-Alin somewhere in the twenties or, more likely, the thirties of the last century. The trip lasted for about a year.

b - The book

Velter's book compares to the books of Arseniev, Corbett and Anderson in that it is well-written and interesting from start to finish. It oozes the authenticity typical for those who saw things most others did not. 

For those not at home in the natural world, the book could seem a bit over the top at times. It isn't. In wild regions, reality is very different from what we consider to be real. If you would try to describe the unknown world you visited, chances are most readers would have a few doubts at times. This could be the reason that people like Arseniev, Corbett, Anderson and Velter decided to focus on accurate descriptions.

Velter, like the others mentioned above, takes the reader to an unknown and secretive world. In his day, all continents but Europe and Australia still had regions considered as wild at heart. Sichote-Alin was all but unknown in the western hemisphere. According to Velter, it, apart from a few thousand hunters and trappers in summer, was completely empty and covered with endless, dark forests.

If you want to know more about the book, read posts 134 and 135 of this thread.

c - Grey and red wolves

In your post, Wolverine, you said Amur tigers and grey wolves don't mix. What is known, supports this view. Sysoev '('Amba') wrote about a male tiger hunting wolves. Miquelle also wrote about tigers and wolves. He, like others, concluded tigers seem to push wolves out. This was the main argument their used to convince hunters in Sichote-Alin to protect tigers.

You also wrote dholes disappeared when grey wolves invaded Sichote-Alin, suggesting grey wolves push red dogs out. I didn't read anything about grey wolves or dholes Arseniev's book ('Dersu the Trapper'), but Velter's book has a bit more on wolves.

Velter visited Lake Shanka and the south-central part of Sichote-Alin in the twenties or thirties of the last century. The region dominated by Lake Shanka had wolves. Same for the central, heavily forested, parts of Primorye. 

Velter and his companions shot and trapped a number of wolves. One of the wolves shot had a red ground colour. At first, Velter thought the colour was a result of individual variation. He later learned that people in the Russian Far East distinguished between grey and red wolves. Many considered red 'wolves' as a distinct species. They lived in large packs and were as wild as their grey relatives: 

When Velter was hunting alone, he shot what he thought was a deer or a wild boar. When he saw he had killed a red wolf, he heard other wolves howling. As he felt threatened, he shot again. He missed and decided to run. After some time, he noticed the pack was following him. He decided to climb a tree. Although he thought they were going to starve him, they left next morning:

d - Red wolves or dholes

The question is if the red 'wolves' could have been dholes. Velter doesn't offer enough to get to a conclusion, but he did say red wolves were considered as a different species in the Russian Far East. He also said they, like grey wolves, lived in large packs and that they were considered as 'wild'. His night in a tree suggests they didn't hesitate to follow humans.  

As to the relation between tigers, grey wolves and red wolves. According to Velter, grey and red wolves more or less co-existed in the same region. This means the idea of the scientists you referred to has to be rejected. Red wolves, however, did seem to live closer to tigers. One reason is they, like tigers, seemed to prefer forests over more open landscapes. 

e - Tigers

Velter and his companions spent the winter in a deserted hut in Primorye. In spring, they briefly considered capturing a tiger cub. They decided against it, as they didn't want to face an angry tigress. The only young tiger Velter saw was in a depot of a trading frim ('Kunz & Albers') Vladivostok some months later. The cub was shipped to the Natural History Museum of Vienna (Austria).

Not long after, they tried to hunt an isjubr (deer). When lying in ambush, they saw a nice buck. Hoping he would come their way, they suddenly heard another buck calling. The buck they saw accepted the challenge and turned their way. Waiting for the right moment to shoot, Velter suddenly noticed that the 'challenger' was a tiger hidden in the undergrowth only fifteen yards away (...). They later learned that old male tigers who had lost their ability to outrush a deer, often used this trick to lure bucks.  

It didn't work that time. The buck became aware of the tiger and ran, leaving the tiger empty-handed. The tiger left without a sound. As he had been aware of them, they feared an ambush. Velter and his companions decided to fire their rifles in the air to scare the tiger. It had an effect, as the tiger left. 

According to Velter, the outcome of the chance meeting could have been different. In Nikolsk-Ussurisk, tigers had killed soldiers and people employed by the railroad company quite often. Only few hunted tigers, as they were much feared. The natives, although very able hunters, never hunted tigers.

f - Two photographs of Y. Saburo of tiger cub hunters in Romanovka village

In the thirties of the last century, Japan invaded China (including Manchuria). A Japanese scientist (Yamazue Saburo) made a few photographs of tiger cubs caught in the period 1938-1941. I selected two. Both were taken in Romanovka village. You can find them on the internet (including a description). 

In spite of their age, they're in excellent condition. Unique photographs:

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Wolverine - 01-14-2019

(01-14-2019, 08:13 AM)peter Wrote: I didn't read anything about grey wolves or dholes Arseniev's book ('Dersu the Trapper'), but Velter's book has a bit more on wolves and dholes.

During childhood I have red at least three times Arseniev's book and also don't remember even once to be mentioned any grey wolves, like they were not existing at those times in Ussuriland at all, while remember clear that Arseniev once (only once) mentioned a pack of 4 dholes he saw and once an Amur leopard. Dholes and Amur leopards inhabited only very southern part of Primorskij region, southern Sihote Alin, and it was the very northern border of their areal. In same time Amur tiger could live in much harsher climate of central Sihote Alin and partialy even in northern Sihote Alin mountain range. For sure dholes were never numerous in Russian Ussuriland, but nevertheless their extinction from the area during the 20th century is kind a mystery because they have never been persistently hunted by humans and have inhabited only remote areas.
Yes, actually the name of the dhole in Russian is exactly "Red wolf" "[]Красный волк", even this canid is quite distant from the wolf.
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Красный_волк

These photos are from safari-park close to Vladivostok:

http://vladivostok.travel/en/todo/seaside-safari-park/

Grey wolves harassing Ussuri dholes, painting: