WildFact
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Premier Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-premier-section)
+--- Forum: Edge of Extinction (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-edge-of-extinction)
+--- Thread: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) (/topic-on-the-edge-of-extinction-a-the-tiger-panthera-tigris)

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Smilodon-Rex - 11-06-2018

(11-05-2018, 11:03 PM)brotherbear Wrote: If I had the financial resources, I would have this done. I've posted this idea before. I would have some high-dollar camera's set in trees surrounding a carefully selected location. In the center of a small clearing in the taiga, a big dead cow ( or bull ). All of this would be set-up by highly skilled professionals in a location known to be the domain of both tigers and brown bears. Then wait....

Hopefully the money spent is not a complete waste of time. We just might see for the first-ever grizzly meets tiger caught on camera. If only...

The only way that such a meeting will ever be caught on camera is to arrange a meeting as in my idea. To just happen to stumble upon such a meeting is simply not going to happen - ever.
brotherbear, let us think about when tiger coming to North America, what would happen? especially in yellow stone national park, perhaps we could see tiger hunting bison, but the most interesting may we have opportunity to see what would tiger and brown bear happen when they face to face in video and photograph !!!

BTW, how amur tiger would compete with Mackenzie wolf pack would also interesting too !!!

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - brotherbear - 11-06-2018

Smilodon-Rex says: brotherbear, let us think about when tiger coming to North America, what would happen? especially in yellow stone national park, perhaps we could see tiger hunting bison, but the most interesting may we have opportunity to see what would tiger and brown bear happen when they face to face in video and photograph !!!

BTW, how amur tiger would compete with Mackenzie wolf pack would also interesting too !!! 

I agree this would be interesting. Tigers would hunt bison, elk,  moose, black bear and the occasional juvenile grizzly. Same as in Russia. Of course, with the way most nearby residents fussed about the wolf introduction, just the mention of tigers would start a riot. Happy

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Shadow - 11-06-2018

(11-06-2018, 06:47 PM)Smilodon-Rex Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 11:03 PM)brotherbear Wrote: If I had the financial resources, I would have this done. I've posted this idea before. I would have some high-dollar camera's set in trees surrounding a carefully selected location. In the center of a small clearing in the taiga, a big dead cow ( or bull ). All of this would be set-up by highly skilled professionals in a location known to be the domain of both tigers and brown bears. Then wait....

Hopefully the money spent is not a complete waste of time. We just might see for the first-ever grizzly meets tiger caught on camera. If only...

The only way that such a meeting will ever be caught on camera is to arrange a meeting as in my idea. To just happen to stumble upon such a meeting is simply not going to happen - ever.
brotherbear, let us think about when tiger coming to North America, what would happen? especially in yellow stone national park, perhaps we could see tiger hunting bison, but the most interesting may we have opportunity to see what would tiger and brown bear happen when they face to face in video and photograph !!!

Tigers do interact with wolves in Siberia time to time. They are all there, bears, wolves and tigers, even though wolves and tigers don´t share same areas like tigers and bears. So basically where is a lot of tigers, there are no or only small number of wolves. Here is one good source if you are interested about that topic.

https://books.google.fi/books?id=ndb0QOvq2LYC&lpg=PR10&ots=vfG8Oj8k9_&pg=PA179&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Pckts - 11-06-2018

(11-06-2018, 08:09 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 06:47 PM)Smilodon-Rex Wrote:

Tigers do interact with wolves in Siberia time to time. They are all there, bears, wolves and tigers, even though wolves and tigers don´t share same areas like tigers and bears. So basically where is a lot of tigers, there are no or only small number of wolves. Here is one good source if you are interested about that topic.

https://books.google.fi/books?id=ndb0QOvq2LYC&lpg=PR10&ots=vfG8Oj8k9_&pg=PA179&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
It’s similar to AWD #’s and Lions. It seems as though mid sized canines don’t handle large sized cats very well.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Shadow - 11-07-2018

Some people are so lucky....

I don´t understand russian too good, but that guy say 2-3 times "beautiful" in russian, so I think, that he agrees with me, that these people were lucky.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Roflcopters - 11-07-2018

they were indeed very lucky! Tfs

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Spalea - 11-07-2018

#1911: lucky yes, but they deserve the credit (the people of this region) because I suppose these tigers are well protected and feel confident.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Shadow - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 11:07 AM)Spalea Wrote: #1911: lucky yes, but they deserve the credit (the people of this region) because I suppose these tigers are well protected and feel confident.

I think, that overall opinion in Russia has changed a lot so, that people value and respect these animals. It is very good when thinking about poaching and logging in areas, where these animals live. Progress is slow always, but direction seems to be right. In a way surprising how calm that tiger was. I mean, that is not area where would be safaris all the time and animals used to people there in cars etc. But I think, that these people saw something like "once in a lifetime".

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - brotherbear - 11-07-2018

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/281480792_Relationship_of_bears_and_tigers_in_the_Russian_Far_East

INTERSPECIFIC RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN THE AMUR TIGER (PANTHERA TIGRIS ALTAICA) AND THE BROWN (URSUS AR...
December 2017 · Zoologicheskiĭ zhurnal

During 1992–2013 we studied the relationship between Amur tigers and brown and Asiatic black bears in the Sikhote-Alin Nature Reserve and surrounding areas in the southern Russian Far East. To determine the importance of bears in the diet of tigers, 763 kills were located and identified, and 430 tiger scat samples were collected and analyzed. To detect kills and scat samples we used radio telemetry and satellite tracking, as well as snow-tracking. Relying on evidence revealed by tracks, as well as radio telemetry, we determined whether bears exploited tiger kills as a food resource, and how the two may have interacted at kill sites. Thirty-two Asiatic black bear and 12 brown bear den sites were measured to define properties that might assist in protection from the threat of a tiger attack. We identified 641 instances of marking on trees by both tigers and bears, an indication of the complexity of their relationship. Bears are an important part of tigers’ diet, representing 2.2% of all kills found. Bear remains were found in 8.4% of examined tiger scats. Bears exploited tiger kills after a tiger had left, by usurping a kill, or by “sharing” a kill at alternate times. The occurrence of den properties that provided some protection from tigers was dependent on the den type and location. Evidence of both tiger and bear marking was detected at 50.1% of marked trees. A literature review of the relationship of tigers and bears is provided.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - epaiva - 11-07-2018

*This image is copyright of its original author

B

(11-07-2018, 07:35 PM)epaiva Wrote:

B
Interesting to read, even though some strange parts. Like expelling bears, I wonder to what that is based in reality. Ussuri bears can be legally hunted in Russia, so it doesn´t sound like too endangered or rare species. Also no-one else have been giving such estimation so far or then I have missed it if so. It would be nice to know is that thinking based to anything in reality? This is in way interesting message, that for sure this person know a lot, but then again, it would be really interesting to hear more reasoning when using word expel, when only one suggesting it. That would be really news if confirmed, there would be something to research in future, that how, if so. But I don´t by that claim just like that without proving that point with facts.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - brotherbear - 11-07-2018

Tiger's nose is most important part of his body? Sounds more like the bear. Tiger expels bears from his domain? I have read where tigers do not consider bears as predator competition. Probably the omnivore bear even smells different than a pure-predator. Most sounds good but some questionable.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 11-07-2018

VEGETA - BROTHERBEAR

The Amur tiger (Panthera tigris altaica) and the Ussuri brown bear (Ursus arctos lasiotus) both are splendid representatives of their kind. For this reason, they have many fans all over the world.

Fans and preference always have been good friends. There's nothing wrong with preference, provided it's used as a drive to find out more. What we need, is good information. 

The Russian Far East is the only region where Amur tigers and Ussuri brown bears co-exist. If we want to open the door to their hidden world, genuine interest and an open mind are needed. The last thing we need are preference-driven posts, as these will, as was shown again, only result in distortion, bloody animosity and a bad climate. 

Not happening over here. You do preference at home. A public forum is about good information and good debates.

As to the issues discussed: in tigers and brown bears in the Russian Far East, just about anything is possible. Adult males of both species, however, try to stay out of trouble. Says those who know. And they know, as their conclusion was based on solid research carried out between 1992-2013. Solid underlined.

While you were going for each other, Epaiva contacted someone in the know in the Russian Far East. It resulted in a very interesting answer. I asked him to post a copy in this thread and added a star for something not seen too often: initiative.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 03:50 AM)Shadow Wrote: Some people are so lucky....

I don´t understand russian too good, but that guy say 2-3 times "beautiful" in russian, so I think, that he agrees with me, that these people were lucky.

According to the report of Oct. 22 (go to the site of the AMUR TIGER PROGRAMME), the video was taken by tourists near Yasenevy. Villagers had seen the adult male tiger on the bank of the Bikin river more than once before he was noticed by tourists.

Although the tiger wasn't aggressive, he didn't fear humans. As his behaviour was considered out of the ordinary, it was decided to move him to the Utyos Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre.

(11-07-2018, 08:20 PM)peter Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 03:50 AM)Shadow Wrote: Some people are so lucky....

According to the report I read on the site of the 'AMUR TIGER PROGRAMME', the video was taken by tourists near Yasenevy. Villagers had seen him on the bank of the Bikin river more than once before he was noticed by tourists.

Although the tiger wasn't aggressive, he didn't fear humans. As his behaviour was considered out of the ordinary, itr was decided to move him to the Utyon Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre.
Ok. I was thinking, that that tiger acted oddly. I was wondering if there is so much traffic on that river, that tiger has used to it in some way. That kind of calmness is much more understandable with wild animals in areas, where a lot of safari tourists in cars. Normal wild tiger should be more cautious even if not running away, I think.