WildFact
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Premier Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-premier-section)
+--- Forum: Edge of Extinction (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-edge-of-extinction)
+--- Thread: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) (/topic-on-the-edge-of-extinction-a-the-tiger-panthera-tigris)

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 05-13-2018

Siberian tiger size

I remember reading post #1,563.
I guess there are maybe lost giant genes from tiger lived in Manchuria and other parts of Russia (Siberian tiger population was around 30-50 in 1950s in Russia as well). No animals can grow bigger than their average size if they eat small amount of foods. And I think their length and shoulder height are a little bit smaller than their past size, just weight is too light. I read that hunters were highly activated in Russian Far East in mid 1900 and devastated all of animals like deer. Tigers in Russia is living in tough areas for several decades. I don't know this is true, but I heard tiger frequently attacked dog during 1980 to 2000 due to low number of prey animals in their places from the Korean documentary.

For example,
She was one of the last wild tiger in Korea. I don't remember, but she was captured alive and she came to the South Korea's zoo like 20 years ago. A keeper said she was so skinny and weighed around 99 kg when she came to South Korea. She reached 145~160 kg after keeper feed her normally. The Korean tiger was known as smaller than tiger in Russia, but 150 kg is bigger or heavier than any wild female Russian tigers today.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Now, moving to famous Sibyukgang, or known as Final 16 to others. He was already 230 kg when he was a 3 years old and defeated all of other male tiger like Hobbi and male lions like ID and Techno brothers (they were the king before him) and Tus. I think he reached 260~280 kg when he was adult. If you see his photos, Sibyukgang was also robust and muscular tiger. His younger brother is 214 cm in head and body and 230 kg.

What is the reason of Siberian tigers are smaller than past? Because of low number of prey animals in their habitats.
No animals including prehistoric tigers, Smilodon populator, American lion, Machairodus kabir, Machairodus giganteus, Homotherium, and even animals like Short faced bear and mammoth would grow bigger and heavier than their average weight if they can't find foods in their habitat.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 05-13-2018

Pckts

Thanks a lot! So BMW was bigger than Jai? Jai doesn't look robust and muscular like other large tigers compared to Wagdoh and BMW. 
I wish they measure other body measurements like shoulder height and length. I am curious size of male tigers like Khali, Wagdoh, Bamera, Jai in all other measurements.

Rishi

Regardless of smaller size, the Sundarban tiger is more beautiful than mainland Bengal tigers. The Himalayan tiger and Sundarban tiger are the most mystic and majastic Bengal tigers.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - paul cooper - 05-13-2018

(05-13-2018, 09:31 AM)Greatearth Wrote: Rishi

Regardless of smaller size, the Sundarban tiger is more beautiful than mainland Bengal tigers.

Nah, i dont think so Wink
Their stripes are weird as hell, they look very different, are they even tigers?

paul cooper
That's a personal choice. I think tigers in Sundarban are more beautiful than tigers in mainland India and Nepal (and probably western Myanmar as well).
It because of a nature of Sundarban, and tiger looks better in photo due to beautiful Sundarban's of background. I think Sundarban means "beautiful forest" in Bengali language.
It's the same for the Himalayan tiger in Bhutan. Snow in Himalayan mountains makes better photo of the Bengal tiger in Bhutan.

Rishi
Do you know any Bengal tiger is living in snow area besides Bhutan? I heard it is impossible to see any snow besides in Kashmr, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttarkhand. I don't think tiger is in those areas where snow falls in these states. How about any place in Nepal? I know Chitwan is in Nepal. My Neplai friend told me Chitwan is hot and very humid. It is very difficult place for foreigner to handle weather and temperature in summer. I think areas like Sundarban and southeastern states are worse. I am not sure if Bengal tiger lived in far as Tibet in China and Myanmar. Is it Bhutan is the only place where you can find the Bengal tiger living in the snow?

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Pckts - 05-14-2018

(05-13-2018, 09:31 AM)Greatearth Wrote: Pckts

Thanks a lot! So BMW was bigger than Jai? Jai doesn't look robust and muscular like other large tigers compared to Wagdoh and BMW. 
I wish they measure other body measurements like shoulder height and length. I am curious size of male tigers like Khali, Wagdoh, Bamera, Jai in all other measurements.

Rishi

Regardless of smaller size, the Sundarban tiger is more beautiful than mainland Bengal tigers. The Himalayan tiger and Sundarban tiger are the most mystic and majastic Bengal tigers.

BMW is the father of the dead male shown, but according to a few people who saw the BMW male while I was in Pench, he's not a particularly massive male when compared the the Male we saw in Kanha, so I'd guess that Jai was still a larger male than BMW.
Jai was a huge male, 220kg on an empty stomach is a huge cat and many people who have seen Jai along with other Tigers always say Jai was massive and you could see this in his videos and images as well.

But it's very subjective regardless.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Roflcopters - 05-14-2018

I spoke to Varun Thakkar a while ago, a person who has been around for atleast a good 20 years. he has seen Kingfisher, Umarpani, Wagdoh and Jai. when i asked him about the biggest out of the four in terms of height, overall body length and just dimensionally bigger. Jai was the biggest according to him, also Jai if im not mistaken was weighed post monsoon. that’s like the toughest time of the year for tigers, 238 kilograms on a scale, 18kg for the error value for the scale. 220kg empty stomach, in winters Jai was easily far bigger so obviously a very large male. too bad he was poached and from the sounds of it, Jaichand is also gone, most likely poached. what a tragedy, Wildlife Institute of India is no longer competent and cannot provide answers for why so many tigers went missing under their rightful eyes. Umred Karhandla is the present day Panna. every tiger that grows to full maturity there is poached sooner or later. Srinivasa, Jai and Jaichand are a prime example of that.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Pckts - 05-14-2018

(05-14-2018, 10:49 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: I spoke to Varun Thakkar a while ago, a person who has been around for atleast a good 20 years. he has seen Kingfisher, Umarpani, Wagdoh and Jai. when i asked him about the biggest out of the four in terms of height, overall body length and just dimensionally bigger. Jai was the biggest according to him, also Jai if im not mistaken was weighed post monsoon. that’s like the toughest time of the year for tigers, 238 kilograms on a scale, 18kg for the error value for the scale. 220kg empty stomach, in winters Jai was easily far bigger so obviously a very large male. too bad he was poached and from the sounds of it, Jaichand is also gone, most likely poached. what a tragedy, Wildlife Institute of India is no longer competent and cannot provide answers for why so many tigers went missing under their rightful eyes. Umred Karhandla is the present day Panna. every tiger that grows to full maturity there is poached sooner or later. Srinivasa, Jai and Jaichand are a prime example of that.
I haven't seen any shots of Umarpani from Varun, he must not of been able to snap them in time.
Do you have your conversation with him still in regards to this?
Thanks

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Roflcopters - 05-14-2018

this was his picture of Kingfisher, he actually saw him head on (October/2015). I dont know if i have Umarpani’s picture from him. Also the famous video of Jai on youtube was also by him i believe.

There are tigers, then big tigers, then huge tigers and then This guy..... Jay.... from UK (umrer karandla wildlife sanctuary).
Just have a look at his massive size. The female ahead of him (chandi) is nt at all small in size, she is app 9yrs oldd and decently big. But Jay makes her look like a tiny cub. He literally is a baby elephant.
#baapre #abba #kya #to #bhi #uga #ye #giant

that’s his exact video of Jai and his post from October/28/2015.
@Pckts unfortunately the last time i spoke to him was roughly 3 years ago and i dont think i have a screenshot of our convo anymore.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Pckts - 05-15-2018

(05-14-2018, 11:51 PM)Roflcopters Wrote:

this was his picture of Kingfisher, he actually saw him head on (October/2015). I dont know if i have Umarpani’s picture from him. Also the famous video of Jai on youtube was also by him i believe.
Ya, I saw this one, and he's got some great oldies of Bam and a couple of Waghdoh. I know he specifically mentions Waghdoh as being massive but it's from a long time ago.

From what I've read and heard, my money on the largest tigers walking around C. India at the moment are 
Pannal, Bheem, Umarpani, Bajrang, Karai Ghati, Tarzan and few others I'm missing I'm sure.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Pckts - 05-15-2018

(05-14-2018, 11:55 PM)Roflcopters Wrote:

There are tigers, then big tigers, then huge tigers and then This guy..... Jay.... from UK (umrer karandla wildlife sanctuary).
Just have a look at his massive size. The female ahead of him (chandi) is nt at all small in size, she is app 9yrs oldd and decently big. But Jay makes her look like a tiny cub. He literally is a baby elephant.
#baapre #abba #kya #to #bhi #uga #ye #giant

that’s his exact video of Jai and his post from October/28/2015.
@Pckts unfortunately the last time i spoke to him was roughly 3 years ago and i dont think i have a screenshot of our convo anymore.
Is that his video?
Cause it only has "wild tigers" attached to it now but I remember that old caption.

Also, how much was Srinivas said to weigh at this capture?

@Roflcopters 
this video of Jaichand recent?
He looks smaller here than I've seen him in other ones, but if this is from January of this year, I can saw with almost certainty that he is definitely smaller than the Sangam male and the Tadoba Male I saw.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 05-15-2018

Did he (Varun Thakkar) actually measured Kingfisher, Umarpani, Wagdoh and Jai? Or he is claiming after seeing them?
It is the same as people who claiming Bengal tiger in Sundarban is the same size as Bengal tiger in mainland India. You can't really tell it by just watching them for a long time.
Post number #1,339 says 238 kg is official weight of Jai. I guess he can reach 270 kg if he eats crazy amount of food. 
Does anyone knows how much tiger weight is increasing if he eats a lot? 30kg or 40 kg?

I remember reading conversation. This Indian guy frequently going to tiger national parks. He said the biggest tiger ever he seen in Kanha was Konda, and Jai was the same size as him.
I don't know if he seen Wagdoh, but he thinks Wagdoh is probably bigger in body size and heavier while Jai and Konda are longer and maybe taller.
If you see Jai, he is definitely big in photo and video. But he doesn't really look extremely robust and muscular like Wagdoh. I think Wagdoh looks heavier and bigger in body size than Jai while Jai is indeed longer and taller.

Another fact is that it's impossible to tell who's the actually biggest. 2m tall guy can be lighter and smaller (body size like chest and muscle) than 180cm guy, but 2m is still taller than 180cm. It is the same for tiger, snow leopard, clouded leopard, cheetah, snow leopard, leopard, jaguar, puma, and other big cats. For example, I've seen and playing many street cats. One cat was longer and taller, but he was lighter than his 2 friends when I hold them. One was bigger in body size like chest and body, just shorter in length and height. Other is I don't know why he is heavier and smaller in every body size, maybe because he eats a lot.
I think Madla had bigger chest and neck than Sauraha, but wasn't he shorter in length and lighter than Sauraha? Madla had 160cm chest and 250 kg, and Sauraha was 140cm and 272kg when scientists measured him last time. A problem is that mammals like human and Felidae's metabolism becoming slow as they are getting older. That's why some older prime male tiger is generally heavier than when they are young. I think that's why Sauraha was 272 kg when biologists measured him last time. Madla could have been reached 272kg when if he was old tiger. Too bad that Madla just disappeared before he become old male tiger. I don't know about length besides Sauraha, but he had a long tail.

Another question is how come I do not hear 300 kg tigers in India and Nepal? There are records of 300kg male tigers in India 100 years ago.
I remember Peter said today's Bengal tigers in India and Nepal is heavier average weight than old Bengal tigers. It is because tigers in India and Nepal are living in good protected area while tigers in Sundarban (Bangladesh side) are living in difficult places due to poaching and other reasons. That's why I believe tigers in Sundarban may have been heavier and a little bit bigger 100 years ago (but still not as tiger in mainland India).
I guess Wagdoh would reach more than 300kg normally? Or he weight more than 300kg when he is gorged? But it is impossible to know unless human actually measures him.

How many tigers left in Umred Karhandla?? Jai brother was a lot smaller than Jai. Any individuals can grow big (I know can't denying gene). I am sure other tigers could grow big as Jai in future. I have a 150cm tall friend, but her brother is 206cm tall haha. It's the same for tigers unless entire subspecies population is dropping to 50, but that's not case in Bengal tiger subspecies. And I don't know what government, ranger, and conservation are doing. They should catch and kill poachers including their families to show punishment.
What's your guys have opinions of poachers? Should poacher should be killed? I do know poachers are very poor people and they are poaching animals to survive (this is the same for other Asian and African countries). I don't mind of killing poacher, but I also feel sorry for them because they are born as very poor life. While trophy hunter is born as money and these scums are killing any animals for fun. I don't really think this just catching poacher is the best choice to stop poaching. And a real problem is habitat destruction since human is increasing.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 05-15-2018

The Sumatran tiger in Kerinci Seblat National Park

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 05-15-2018

(05-15-2018, 12:13 AM)Pckts Wrote: @Roflcopters 
this video of Jaichand recent?
He looks smaller here than I've seen him in other ones, but if this is from January of this year, I can saw with almost certainty that he is definitely smaller than the Sangam male and the Tadoba Male I saw.

Not a large male, but he's well built and has a head fitting a much bigger tiger. When you watch the video full-screen and stop it at 1:08-1:09, when he's watching the one with the camera, you'll see a tiger with classic features and intention. The woman definitely was impressed and so am I. Nice video, PC.