WildFact
Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Herbivores Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-herbivores-animals)
+---- Thread: Wild Yak (bos mutus) (/topic-wild-yak-bos-mutus)

Pages: 1 2

Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Jimmy - 12-24-2018

The Wild Yak- bos mutus (the mute ox) probably need it's own honourable section Wink very little verified data is available about this beast, Maybe as a community we can gather as much interesting data as possible, so here it is- a thread to share any materials that may relate to wild yaks - behaviour, physical traits, pictures, distribution, numbers, even domestic ones if it can compare to it's wild counterpart in any way and so on. I will add some stuffs soon, in the meantime, found this cool video

First impression I got was it was a wild yak which came to take over a domestic herd and challenged a domestic bull cuz it resembled very much a wild yak interms of it's  general build, tall hump and notably forward curving and pretty thick horns but then i realized this was all filmed in close proximity, a wild yak would be too dangerous for this and maybe it's close to a wild variety but still a domestic one.
Wild yak in it's habitat

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Jimmy - 12-24-2018

The wild yak doesn't look as hairy as it's domestic cousin specially it's head and shoulder region, maybe it's underwool is very dense and it's not all cumbersome shaggy beast like domestic ones. It looks surprisingly aurochs like- the head and horn placement

Another clip

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - brotherbear - 12-24-2018

Post #1 video - a bull yak can apparently be as aggressive as any other wild bovine. Impressive.

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Jimmy - 12-24-2018

@brotherbear the rival bull took eight hits in quick succession, six of them in the air!

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Jimmy - 12-25-2018

some pictures
by Ni Xijun, Kumukuli Basin, Tibetan Plateau

*This image is copyright of its original author

Altun Mountain Nature Reserve, western China

by Naresh Khusi, Limi valley, Nepal

by Geraldine Werhahn, Limi valley, Nepal

some photos of charging wild yaks, nostrils flaring, eyes rolling and saliva dripping.... ...!!!

a wild yak tries to claim a domestic herd is chased down but it is not happy!

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Rage2277 - 12-25-2018

until recently i was unaware there were wild yak..i didn't expect them to be as large as they are

(12-25-2018, 01:25 PM)Rage2277 Wrote: until recently i was unaware there were wild yak..i didn't expect them to be as large as they are

Yeah i have heard a lot of people who also thinks it is only a mountainous domestic cattle kind of like highland cattle, but they are awesome beast could well be contender for the largest bovine in the world, please refresh and see this post one more time i have included a video of wild yak chase Wink.

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Rage2277 - 12-25-2018

did that yak get run over? what

(12-25-2018, 02:53 PM)Rage2277 Wrote: did that yak get run over? what

Probably not since it is a highly protected species and it's unlikely they deliberately circulated the footage on internet had they harmed it in anyway.

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Shadow - 12-26-2018

(12-25-2018, 01:11 PM)Jimmy Wrote: some pictures
by Ni Xijun, Kumukuli Basin, Tibetan Plateau

Altun Mountain Nature Reserve, western China

by Naresh Khusi, Limi valley, Nepal

by Geraldine Werhahn, Limi valley, Nepal

some photos of charging wild yaks, nostrils flaring, eyes rolling and saliva dripping.... ...!!!

a wild yak tries to claim a domestic herd is chased down but it is not happy!

Great pictures, Yaks are simply magnificent!

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Shadow - 12-26-2018

(12-24-2018, 08:03 PM)Jimmy Wrote: The Wild Yak- bos mutus (the mute ox) probably need it's own honourable section Wink very little verified data is available about this beast, Maybe as a community we can gather as much interesting data as possible, so here it is- a thread to share any materials that may relate to wild yaks - behaviour, physical traits, pictures, distribution, numbers, even domestic ones if it can compare to it's wild counterpart in any way and so on. I will add some stuffs soon, in the meantime, found this cool video

First impression I got was it was a wild yak which came to take over a domestic herd and challenged a domestic bull cuz it resembled very much a wild yak interms of it's  general build, tall hump and notably forward curving and pretty thick horns but then i realized this was all filmed in close proximity, a wild yak would be too dangerous for this and maybe it's close to a wild variety but still a domestic one.
Wild yak in it's habitat

That first video in your posting quoted here is one of the most impressive ones, which I can remember. You don´t see every day that big animal in the air like that... There we see some bovine power!!! When that animal charges, only an elephant can feel safe Grin

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Jimmy - 12-26-2018

(12-26-2018, 05:00 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 08:03 PM)Jimmy Wrote: The Wild Yak- bos mutus (the mute ox) probably need it's own honourable section Wink very little verified data is available about this beast, Maybe as a community we can gather as much interesting data as possible, so here it is- a thread to share any materials that may relate to wild yaks - behaviour, physical traits, pictures, distribution, numbers, even domestic ones if it can compare to it's wild counterpart in any way and so on. I will add some stuffs soon, in the meantime, found this cool video

Wild yak in it's habitat

That first video in your posting quoted here is one of the most impressive ones, which I can remember. You don´t see every day that big animal in the air like that... There we see some bovine power!!! When that animal charges, only an elephant can feel safe Grin
.. ...add to that an intimidation factor- long hair and dreadlock tail swinging wildly, the first one in the video seems pretty much a wild yak tossing a domestic herd bull, here are some interesting fights of domestic yaks I have selected

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Jimmy - 01-04-2019

Title says Yak vs wild Yak- crazy fight. Iam  not sure if it is possible to film wild yak this close, nice specimen though

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Pantherinae - 01-05-2019

Wild yak in a domestic yak heard. Size difference is immense! Underrated animal 

RE: Wild Yak (bos mutus) - Shadow - 01-05-2019

(12-26-2018, 08:57 AM)Jimmy Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 05:00 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Wild yak in it's habitat

.. ...add to that an intimidation factor- long hair and dreadlock tail swinging wildly, the first one in the video seems pretty much a wild yak tossing a domestic herd bull, here are some interesting fights of domestic yaks I have selected

Insane videos and animals Grin