WildFact
Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Extinct Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-extinct-animals)
+---- Forum: Pleistocene Big Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-pleistocene-big-cats)
+---- Thread: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines (/topic-freak-felids-a-discussion-of-history-s-largest-felines)

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 09-11-2015

Can you make a comparison with the 14 cm lower canine from China?

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - tigerluver - 09-11-2015

Here's an approximate comparison:

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 09-11-2015

If you treat those canines as the upper canines, then it won't fit well in the skull.

How about to compare this lion lower canine with the other known mandibles of Panthera atrox?

If that 13.5 cm tooth is a lower canine, then the mandible of that specimen would be over 30 cm, am I right?

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - Fieryeel - 09-11-2015

I'm in talk with the guy who owns the other Java tooth. He's given its measurements as 5.5 inches straight line and 1 inch in thickness.

Do you guys have any guess to what creature this tooth might belong to?

It looks like a whale tooth.

Do you know the mass of this tooth?

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - tigerluver - 09-12-2015

@Fieryeel, not sure of the identity. Although, it being of a whale is not out of the range of possibilities, as the rise of sea levels likely brought bone material from different areas in the remaining Sunda landmasses. Therefore, fossil of species that did not live their will be found around the Solo river occasionally.

It does look similar to these teeth:

@GrizzlyClaws, I'll fit the P. atrox into a mandible soon.

Based on the Ngandong mandible which fit well with it, the mandible length looked like that to me as well.

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 09-12-2015

The 14 cm lower canine looks quite similar to the Solo River tooth, maybe it could find a mandible which fits as well.

I am suspecting this tooth might belong to the Wanhsien tiger.

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - Fieryeel - 09-14-2015

I'm thinking pinniped myself.

Sea-lion tooth

Seal tooth

Seal tooth

(09-11-2015, 10:29 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: It looks like a whale tooth.

Do you know the mass of this tooth?

The owner doesn't know, but he said it was "as heavy as any dino tooth".

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 09-14-2015

Then this must belong to a giant pinniped species, since this tooth is almost as large as that of the male elephant seal.

BTW, can the fossil expert conclude that Ngandong tiger tooth is a lower canine? It certainly looks like a lower one, but we just need the expertise from the real experts.

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - Fieryeel - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 08:22 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Then this must belong to a giant pinniped species, since this tooth is almost as large as that of the male elephant seal.

BTW, can the fossil expert conclude that Ngandong tiger tooth is a lower canine? It certainly looks like a lower one, but we just need the expertise from the real experts.

Nope, the fossil expert can't. He was delighted in fact to hear that you guys believe it to be Ngandong Tiger as he and I weren't able to lock it down to a species either.

We have no connections with feline fossil paleontologists.

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 09-14-2015

Don't worry, @tigerluver could make another comparison with the skull.

If it is a lower canine, then it won't fit well in the skull like it did with the mandible.

The species of this tooth has been pretty much locked down.

Regarding that narrow teeth I posted, are you guys certain it couldn't be a big cat?

Definitely not big cat, you can check this thread about the big cat canine teeth.

http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-big-cat-s-canines-and-claws

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - Fieryeel - 09-15-2015

Apologies for posting non-feline here, but I do not see another suitable thread.

Here's a Miocene seal tooth. Is it a match?