WildFact
Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Extinct Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-extinct-animals)
+---- Forum: Pleistocene Big Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-pleistocene-big-cats)
+---- Thread: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines (/topic-freak-felids-a-discussion-of-history-s-largest-felines)

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - tigerluver - 08-31-2015

I'm no expert on teeth, but croc teeth don't seem to swell around the center from what I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyhow, everyone interested in skull measurements should have this document at hand to see what each measurement means.

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 08-31-2015

This canine is very reminiscent to something that I've seen before, it is about tiger's lower canine teeth.

The lower canine teeth usually have smaller crown, greater curvature, thinner root.

Here is some fossil/subfossil of tiger's lower canine tooth in China, also the bone clone product.

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - tigerluver - 08-31-2015

Do you an account on that forum? Hopefully the user is still active and has the tooth. Maybe you could ask him for the greatest width (perpendicular to mandible) and length (parallel to mandible). If not, I might just make an account there. These dimensions can help narrow down the identity.

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 08-31-2015

I didn't have any account in that website, maybe I shall create one and pm him.

But I am just not sure if I will get the answer from the owner.

The first pictures look quite different from the later ones. The first one's do like a bit like a whale's, maybe even a croc as they look quite narrow.

Anyway, I have already PMed him, and hopefully there will be an answer from him.

If we have found a Ngandong tiger's upper fang, then it should have little difference that differs from the tigerzilla fangs from my big cat canines/claws thread.

(08-31-2015, 04:33 AM)tigerluver Wrote: The first pictures look quite different from the later ones. The first one's do like a bit like a whale's, maybe even a croc as they look quite narrow.

The first one is something far away from a big cat, while the second one looks quite big cat-like.

There are just many different species of animals in a mashup fossil site, maybe some are even from different period of timeline.

The owner made it seem like the pictures are of the same tooth, so I thought some weird camera angle tricks were coming into play.

No way these two pics show as the same tooth, and I will try to ask him to clarify it for sure.

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 09-01-2015

Here is his answer.

Quote:Hello,

I've consulted an Ireland fossil-expert and a local taxidermist experienced with big cats, they both believe it is a tiger tooth as well.

Here's an album with more pictures of it > http://imgur.com/a/KjnuC

Unfortunately, information on it is scarce as I got it from a reseller; all I know is that it comes from the Solo River of Java.

- Andy

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 09-01-2015

The curvature and the smaller crown in proportionally lead me to believe this is a lower canine tooth.

So the upper canine teeth of this Ngandong tiger specimen should be similar in size to the Manchurian subfossil.

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - tigerluver - 09-01-2015

@GrizzlyClaws, awesome, you got the info. So we're looking at an upper canine, and the ~13 cm length still stands? Think you could get the width and length measurements from him?

The tooth is 13.4 cm and the upper one should be about 2 cm longer than the lower one.

The Manchurian subfossil canine is about 15.5 cm, so the Ngandong tiger should have similar sized canine.

And I will pm him more for the other measurement and the weight of the tooth.

RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - tigerluver - 09-01-2015

Sounds good. Maybe you can invite him to the discussion of his tooth here as well if you'd like.

Yep, I will try to invite him to join here later.

Maybe we should invite more fossil collectors to join this forum in the future.