WildFact
Avoca male lions - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca male lions (/topic-avoca-male-lions)

RE: Avoca male lions - Tonpa - 02-09-2022

Interesting to see if he'll join up with the Nkuhumas again. If Mohawk can feed on a kill with Dark Mane and the Talamatis I guess it's also possible the Nkuhumas still recognize DM enough to let him hang around them

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 01:38 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Interesting to see if he'll join up with the Nkuhumas again. If Mohawk can feed on a kill with Dark Mane and the Talamatis I guess it's also possible the Nkuhumas still recognize DM enough to let him hang around them

He mated with a Nkuchuma females so I do not think Nkuchma females would be bothered with DM's presence. He is potential father of their cubs and therefore he his not a threat for those cubs. What it comes to his brothers then I would like to point out that since DM was pushed further south by Imbali male and other two Avocas has been pushed further north by the Ndzenga males, territory of DM and that of Blondie and Mohawk are overlooping a lot. If Blondie and Mohawk would consider DM as no longer part of their coalition, but a rival male then they would chasse DM out of what they consider their territory and no such think has happened so far. I believe DM will rejoin other Avocas at some point. At first he will have to take more subbmissive role, but still I believe Mohawk and Blondie would tolerate him and over time would fully accept him back similarly as it was when Mr T Mapogo rejoined to Western Mapogos.

RE: Avoca male lions - Duco Ndona - 02-09-2022

That didn't end well for the western mapogos though. 

I don't think it would be a rather peaceful merging.
A new hierarchy would have to be established and DM will likely be at the bottom of it. The two groups would also have little to no bonds with each others cubs, so we may see some casualties there as well.
Ultimately, it may turn out to be just a messy take over.

RE: Avoca male lions - WildLeonis - 02-09-2022

Quote:He mated with a Nkuchuma females so I do not think Nkuchma females would be bothered with DM's presence. He is potential father of their cubs and therefore he his not a threat for those cubs

Agreed. Also DM was seen on a Buffalo kill with Purple Eye last year. So I think they would recognize him. They may not initially be so welcoming but will eventually tolerate him. 

Regarding his brothers, DM has always been the loner of the three. Even back when they first arrived in Djuma in 2018 he was often seen on his own and away from his brothers. Until he (or perhaps his brothers) decided he should spend all of his time with the Talamatis. I honestly would be very surprised to see him rejoin Blondie and Mohawk. But then again, desperate times…If the sub-adult Talamatis decide to spend more and more time away from him, either to find new territory or rejoin the rest of the pride that’s with S8, he’ll have seek an alternative means of survival. He can certainly get by scavenging and making small kills, but needs a pride to fully sustain himself. His brothers and the Nkuhumas would be his best option, I think.

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 02:25 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: That didn't end well for the western mapogos though. 
(02-09-2022, 02:25 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The two groups would also have little to no bonds with each others cubs, so we may see some casualties there as well.
The only cubs they have at the moment are those of 3 young Nkuchuma females with which all 3 Avocas has mated with so I do not think there would be any casualties in cubs if Avocas would rejoin. All of them would see those cubs as potentially their own.

(02-09-2022, 02:25 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: A new hierarchy would have to be established and DM will likely be at the bottom of it
Only at the beggining, but later on when their bonds would be fully rebiulded they would again function like standard coalition in which strongest males would be more dominant then the weaker ones. 

(02-09-2022, 03:14 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: Regarding his brothers, DM has always been the loner of the three. Even back when they first arrived in Djuma in 2018 he was often seen on his own and away from his brothers
Yes, but...

(02-09-2022, 03:14 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: If the sub-adult Talamatis decide to spend more and more time away from him, either to find new territory or rejoin the rest of the pride that’s with S8, he’ll have seek an alternative means of survival. He can certainly get by scavenging and making small kills, but needs a pride to fully sustain himself. His brothers and the Nkuhumas would be his best option, I think.
DM since he was pushed by Imbali male rather does not have evough space nor a pride to function as a lone dominant male. Rejoining his brothers seem to be definitely the best option for which he has available.

RE: Avoca male lions - WildLeonis - 02-11-2022

DM looks to have stolen a kill or hunted a small animal to get fed. Nice round full belly and looking in good condition. 

RE: Avoca male lions - afortich - 02-11-2022

(02-09-2022, 02:25 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: That didn't end well for the western mapogos though. 

I don't think it would be a rather peaceful merging.
A new hierarchy would have to be established and DM will likely be at the bottom of it. The two groups would also have little to no bonds with each others cubs, so we may see some casualties there as well.
Ultimately, it may turn out to be just a messy take over.

I don't see how it didn't end well for the western mapogos the return of Mr. T because they lost dreadlocks and rasta thereafter, therefore, his return should've been beneficial instead. Did anything happen between them when Mr. T rejoin??

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 11:04 AM)afortich Wrote: Did anything happen between them when Mr. T rejoin??
Mr T killed Mapogo's cubs sired in Ximunghwe pride.

RE: Avoca male lions - afortich - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 12:26 PM)Potato Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 11:04 AM)afortich Wrote: Did anything happen between them when Mr. T rejoin??
Mr T killed Mapogo's cubs sired in Ximunghwe pride.

You're right, that is pretty bad. I believe he did it in order to mate. Thanks!

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 02-12-2022

DM with some gore injury on his head.

RE: Avoca male lions - Duco Ndona - 02-12-2022

Ouch, looks like a claw wound that got infected.
Probably from a tussle about food.

RE: Avoca male lions - WildLeonis - 02-12-2022

(02-12-2022, 03:11 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Ouch, looks like a claw wound that got infected.
Probably from a tussle about food.

I must say this doesn’t even look like DM. Regarding the wound, he didn’t appear to have any injuries yesterday. So whatever happened, happened overnight. There were no other lions in the area at the end of the WE broadcast last evening. And whatever he’d eaten was long gone. So I’m wondering if he got injured attempting to make another kill.

RE: Avoca male lions - WildLeonis - 02-14-2022

DM doing what he does best then getting up for a stretch and walking away. He looks to be in fairly good condition, is walking good, but still very skinny. I wonder if the Talamatis sub-adults will decide to remain in Singita. They’ve been over there for the last couple of weeks and seem to be getting comfortable. DM seems to be content to remain in Djuma companion free. 

Speaking of companions, any word on Mohawk and Blondie? They’ve not been seen on WE in a while so perhaps they’ve been further  south?

RE: Avoca male lions - Duco Ndona - 02-14-2022

Probably not. With Nym and the PC males there its only a matter of time before they are being chased out.

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 01:02 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: Speaking of companions, any word on Mohawk and Blondie? They’ve not been seen on WE in a while so perhaps they’ve been further  south?

They where seen on WE not long ago.