WildFact
Lion Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lion Predation (/topic-lion-predation)

RE: Lion Predation - Cunaguaro - 07-13-2020

Shishangeni males pride attempting to hunt a wildebeest, but the prey made a perfect escape. "His pride took a wildebeest right in front of us. Almost hit a car in the process but the wildebeest was lucky and escaped.

RE: Lion Predation - Stripedlion2 - 07-13-2020

So the biggest prey a lion/lioness can take kill alone is bull Cape buffalo,giraffe,and maybe a large croc on land.

RE: Lion Predation - scilover - 07-17-2020

(07-13-2020, 10:47 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 06:25 AM)Pckts Wrote: No easy kills when it comes to Zebra.

Nice video but already posted on #912. Regards!

Wow! That zebra sure kicked that lion hard hahaha. I bet those kicks must hurt like hell for that lion.

RE: Lion Predation - Spalea - 07-19-2020

About the difficulties to perfectly film a predation act...

RE: Lion Predation - Pckts - 07-19-2020

RE: Lion Predation - Spalea - 07-20-2020

Marlon du Toit: " One of nature’s ultimate battles - lions versus buffalo!

This was the best photographs I’ve ever been able to take of such an epic event. You gotta be at the right time, at the right place, with the right amount of luck & then a little more luck, haha. It really is an intense experience but certainly something to remember! I will always look back at this morning guiding a private safari with @maris_peter in the southern Kruger. "

Marlon du Toit: " HIGHLIGHTS from a recent, epic sighting we enjoyed. Four big but scruffy looking male lions trailed right behind a buffalo herd. We found them within sight of the large herd & followed them for a couple of hours.

Now it’s a very dangerous task. Lions can’t just rush in & grab the closest buffalo. A single buffalo on its own is a formidable animal, well capable of taking care of itself against lions. What also counts in the favor of the buffalo, is that the herd would often stand together & assist a fallen comrade. When a few hundred buffalo with sharp pointy horns team up against you, it’s best you consider getting on your way!
So the lions need to play the patient game. Wait for a straggler or take an opportunity to catch & swiftly kill a sub-adult or a calf.
They often catch a buffalo & inflict such damage that even if the herd returns to help, the lions would have injured the buffalo enough to ensure if falls behind or even better, is unable to rejoin the herd. "

RE: Lion Predation - Stripedlion2 - 07-27-2020

Does anyone have a video or picture of a lion taking down a bull eland alone?  I know they can grow quite large of 400-1,000kg (882-2,205 pounds)

RE: Lion Predation - Stripedlion2 - 07-27-2020

I found this. A petswane mashatu’s resident male lion taking down an eland by himself . The eland looks pretty big but I don’t know how much it weighs ,the lion is also blind in one eye and has a collar on.

RE: Lion Predation - Spalea - 07-29-2020

Wild Eye: " Eternal enemies of the African plains. A clash between lions and buffalo will almost always produce spectacular photo opportunities.

This particular encounter was on the floodplains of the Okavango Delta where we watched a pride of lion taunt a herd of buffalo in the fading light of day. .
I went in as tight as I could and them further enhanced this by opting for a tight crop to try and fill the frame with these two African icons. I love how the buffalo are very much a part of the frame whilst the clarity and contrast of the lion in the foreground renders him as the focus of the image. "

RE: Lion Predation - BA0701 - 07-30-2020

(07-27-2020, 06:28 AM)Stripedlion2 Wrote: I found this. A petswane mashatu’s resident male lion taking down an eland by himself . The eland looks pretty big but I don’t know how much it weighs ,the lion is also blind in one eye and has a collar on.

Fixed it for you. Cheers!

RE: Lion Predation - WildCats30 - 08-03-2020

Two lionesses killing an adult zebra in the Masai Mara, Kenya. Credits to Peter Blackwell. Nature Picture Library.

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Lion Predation - Spalea - 08-05-2020

Male lion dragging a young elephant's corpse... Of course not an asiatic lion as it is written.

RE: Lion Predation - Cunaguaro - 08-07-2020

RE: Lion Predation - Pckts - 08-28-2020

RE: Lion Predation - Spalea - 09-02-2020

Jens Cullmann: " Sometimes nature looks brutal and cruel to us ...

... but it is just about survival!
This elephant baby was killed at night by two male lions. Since the feed is scarce, elephant breeding herds often split up in dry season. This makes it much easier for predators like lions to get down an elephant as they are not anymore protected by the herd. "