WildFact
Lion Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lion Predation (/topic-lion-predation)

RE: Lion Predation - Spalea - 04-27-2020

Now on Instagram... For the pleasure to see again this amazing feat:

" Power Trip. Large male lion shows lioness how to hunt a buffalo. Keep in mind the lion is likely 400 to 500lbs while the buffalo is around 1,800 to 2000lbs. "

RE: Lion Predation - TigrisLeo504 - 04-27-2020

(04-27-2020, 12:20 AM)Spalea Wrote: Now on Instagram... For the pleasure to see again this amazing feat:

" Power Trip. Large male lion shows lioness how to hunt a buffalo. Keep in mind the lion is likely 400 to 500lbs while the buffalo is around 1,800 to 2000lbs. "

Nice but thats not really a feat. The buffalo in that is a young bull.  He does the have the "Boss" at the horns like older bulls. The feats are a lot more impressive.

RE: Lion Predation - GuateGojira - 04-27-2020

(04-25-2020, 02:56 PM)TigrisLeo504 Wrote: Anyway here is a very impressive lion predation account

Account from Mark C Ross's book, Predator Life and Death in the African Bush

Mark C Ross

*This image is copyright of its original author

A single male lion killed young elephant. Ross estimated this elephant to be 2 tons. Even if it wasnt 2 tons it is definately closed to it

"This male killed this elephant entirely on its own, an impressive and extremely rare feat of daring. It will be difficult for him to break into the tough hide, however. In almost all encounters between elephants and lions, lions will walk the other way"

https://archive.org/details/predatorlifedeat0000ross/page/144/mode/2up

If the estimation of Mr Ross is correct, and that elephant weighed about 2 tons, this is the heaviest prey hunted by a wild cat on record that we actually have a first hand report and a picture! We have records of rhinos hunted by tigers, but as far I know, none of them weighed 2 tons (the weight of an adult) or hunted in "single combat".

I will like to see the opinion of other posters about this event.

RE: Lion Predation - Balam - 04-27-2020

(04-27-2020, 01:32 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 02:56 PM)TigrisLeo504 Wrote: Anyway here is a very impressive lion predation account

Account from Mark C Ross's book, Predator Life and Death in the African Bush

Mark C Ross

A single male lion killed young elephant. Ross estimated this elephant to be 2 tons. Even if it wasnt 2 tons it is definately closed to it

"This male killed this elephant entirely on its own, an impressive and extremely rare feat of daring. It will be difficult for him to break into the tough hide, however. In almost all encounters between elephants and lions, lions will walk the other way"

https://archive.org/details/predatorlifedeat0000ross/page/144/mode/2up

If the estimation of Mr Ross is correct, and that elephant weighed about 2 tons, this is the heaviest prey hunted by a wild cat on record that we actually have a first hand report and a picture! We have records of rhinos hunted by tigers, but as far I know, none of them weighed 2 tons (the weight of an adult) or hunted in "single combat".

I will like to see the opinion of other posters about this event.

I'm not sure how much these juvenile elephants weighted, but clearly over a ton, and the single lions were able to bring them down by themselves on each video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlrPeRGA_-Y&t=5s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp9EC4tS-Q0

We also know that they hunt bull giraffe, buffalo and eland by themselves so lions are definitely capable of bringing down large game over a ton.

(04-27-2020, 01:43 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: We also know that they hunt bull giraffe, buffalo and eland by themselves so lions are definitely capable of bringing down large game over a ton.

That is correct, but there is at least one poster here that do not. 

In the case of Eland and Buffalo, they do not surpass the ton in weight, but they are clearly large beasts of 900 kg or more in the case of the eland. About the giraffes, it seems that is easier to the lions to hunt them, although most of the kills that I had saw are from entire prides attacking the bulls. 

From my point of view, it is harder to kill a big buffalo or eland than kill a giraffe, all of them of 900 kg, for example.

(04-27-2020, 01:50 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 01:43 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: We also know that they hunt bull giraffe, buffalo and eland by themselves so lions are definitely capable of bringing down large game over a ton.

That is correct, but there is at least one poster here that do not. 

In the case of Eland and Buffalo, they do not surpass the ton in weight, but they are clearly large beasts of 900 kg or more in the case of the eland. About the giraffes, it seems that is easier to the lions to hunt them, although most of the kills that I had saw are from entire prides attacking the bulls. 

From my point of view, it is harder to kill a big buffalo or eland than kill a giraffe, all of them of 900 kg, for example.

In my opinion it depends, for a lion to take down a bull giraffe they have two options: either an ambush while the giraffe is at a low position such as drinking water or laying down, or by attacking the soft areas of the giraffe around their belly and between the legs to cause deep wounds (this is how a lioness was able to bring down an adult giraffe by herself), but even then a giraffe is a deadly adversary, while they lack the horns of the buffalo their kicks are lethal and have enough strength to crush the skull of a lion if it can hit at the right angle.

(04-27-2020, 01:43 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: I'm not sure how much these juvenile elephants weighted, but clearly over a ton, and the single lions were able to bring them down by themselves on each video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp9EC4tS-Q0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0TfkBlzk7A

Watching the videos I see that those juveniles do not seems to weight over 1000 kg, they definitelly weigh less, between 800 - 900 kg at the most. Also, it will be interesting to see if the elephants will be actually killed by the male lions without the presence of the other pride member, expecially in the second video. I know that the calfs were bring down in both cases, but it is not quite sure if they could kill it, again the second video created me the dobth.

In the second video there is a comment: "Hi Cynthia, thanks for sharing your experience. We spoke to Calvet and the actual kill only took a bit longer than the length of the video. He also said this time of the year it is also the time when the genetically weak and the sick are eliminated from the herd. In Hwange even elephants go through a natural culling process from lions, shortage of food, hyenas and disease."

Interesting events, thank you for sharing them.

(04-27-2020, 01:54 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: In my opinion it depends, for a lion to take down a bull giraffe they have two options: either an ambush while the giraffe is at a low position such as drinking water or laying down, or by attacking the soft areas of the giraffe around their belly and between the legs to cause deep wounds (this is how a lioness was able to bring down an adult giraffe by herself), but even then a giraffe is a deadly adversary, while they lack the horns of the buffalo their kicks are lethal and have enough strength to crush the skull of a lion if it can hit at the right angle.

Good point of view. However, I have saw that in most of the videos the giraffe firs choice is to run, while in the case of buffalo they do tried to attack. I don't know, maybe is just to view of the slender giraffe and the robust buffalo that may confuse the viewer, but this is what I have saw.

About the eland I can't say anything, becaue I had not saw a hunt of lions over that animal. Maybe there are youtube videos of that.

(04-27-2020, 02:04 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 01:54 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: In my opinion it depends, for a lion to take down a bull giraffe they have two options: either an ambush while the giraffe is at a low position such as drinking water or laying down, or by attacking the soft areas of the giraffe around their belly and between the legs to cause deep wounds (this is how a lioness was able to bring down an adult giraffe by herself), but even then a giraffe is a deadly adversary, while they lack the horns of the buffalo their kicks are lethal and have enough strength to crush the skull of a lion if it can hit at the right angle.

Good point of view. However, I have saw that in most of the videos the giraffe firs choice is to run, while in the case of buffalo they do tried to attack. I don't know, maybe is just to view of the slender giraffe and the robust buffalo that may confuse the viewer, but this is what I have saw.

About the eland I can't say anything, becaue I had not saw a hunt of lions over that animal. Maybe there are youtube videos of that.

Yes, once the giraffe decides to face off the lion it becomes extremely difficult and highly risky for the lion to inflict a kill because it has to avoid the lethal kicks from the giraffe. When the giraffes run they expose their hindquarters which allows the lions to jump on the to destabilize them or attack their groin.

(04-27-2020, 02:11 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:

Yes, once the giraffe decides to face off the lion it becomes extremely difficult and highly risky for the lion to inflict a kill because it has to avoid the lethal kicks from the giraffe. When the giraffes run they expose their hindquarters which allows the lions to jump on the to destabilize them or attack their groin.

Good hunt, and incredible pictures! Again, the giraffe don't seems to attack or do anything to the lioness, maybe there are no pictures of the deffence, I don't know, but certainly the giraffe seems more "passive" than the buffalo, for example. Just a question, was this a male giraffe? I ask because of the place where the lioness bite it first. shocked

Even then, thank you for the information, I will like to focus in the case of the elephant of "2 tons", like I said, I will like to see the opinions of other about that particular hunt.

(04-27-2020, 02:17 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 02:11 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:

Good hunt, and incredible pictures! Again, the giraffe don't seems to attack or do anything to the lioness, maybe there are no pictures of the deffence, I don't know, but certainly the giraffe seems more "passive" than the buffalo, for example. Just a question, was this a male giraffe? I ask because of the place where the lioness bite it first. shocked

Even then, thank you for the information, I will like to focus in the case of the elephant of "2 tons", like I said, I will like to see the opinions of other about that particular hunt.

Unfortunately they don't specify the sex of the giraffe but I believe it to be a female, you can read about it here:
http://www.barcroft.tv/lioness-struggles-to-kill-giraffe-hwange-national-park-zimbabwe

RE: Lion Predation - Styx38 - 04-27-2020

Lion kills Bull Eland after latching on for  a long time:

Eventually, Lioness pulls down Eland after latching on for a while

Eland is still alive.

Lioness is tired after killing or incapacitating the Eland bull. 

Originally, screenshots are from this video, but this was posted in Quora and some forums:

@GuateGojira

Here is a lone Lion (female) taking down a Bull Eland.

(04-27-2020, 03:46 AM)Styx38 Wrote: Lion kills Bull Eland after latching on for  a long time:

Eventually, Lioness pulls down Eland after latching on for a while

Eland is still alive.

Lioness is tired after killing or incapacitating the Eland bull. 

Originally, screenshots are from this video, but this was posted in Quora and some forums:

@GuateGojira

Here is a lone Lion (female) taking down a Bull Eland.

Thank you for the video, I am going to see it now. Happy

RE: Lion Predation - johnny rex - 04-27-2020

Impressive feats. So in conclusion the biggest prey that a male lion or tiger can kill singlehandedly is around 900-1000kg. Those young elephants I estimated are around 1000 kg and a little bit more. Looks like a very large prey is killed through hamstringing (targeting the legs) such as in the case where the lone lioness took down a bull eland.

RE: Lion Predation - Rishi - 04-27-2020

(04-27-2020, 02:11 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Yes, once the giraffe decides to face off the lion it becomes extremely difficult and highly risky for the lion to inflict a kill because it has to avoid the lethal kicks from the giraffe. When the giraffes run they expose their hindquarters which allows the lions to jump on the to destabilize them or attack their groin.

Please don't directly embed photos, irrespective of the source. The link gets broken eventually & photos go defunct after a while.

Download & reupload here.