WildFact
Lion Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lion Predation (/topic-lion-predation)

RE: Lion Predation - AfricanLeo10 - 03-29-2020

(03-28-2020, 11:30 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 04:19 AM)AfricanLeo10 Wrote: Lioness kill a crocodile to protect cubs

I was planning on sleeping in this morning when Kazembo woke me up. "Madam, Madam!" I shot up thinking, lodge is on fire, there is a riot and I am all alone, someone's drowned. no. "A crocodile has been killed by rion and George is taking car to go there!" " I'll be right there! " I yelled back as I flew out of my bed and into my tracksuit, at the door I paused and realized I was wearing my pink sleeping shirt, a practical come hither sign for any dangerous animals that might be keen for some animal on girl action. I ripped my shirt off, put on a brown earthy one in its place, grabbed my hat and camera (praying the battery wasn't flat) and flew outside where George was revving the ancient landcruiser. Kazembo stood by the laundry table folding a sheet in slow motion longingly staring at the vehicle. "Well are you coming???" and that's all it took to get him to join our impromptu game drive. It was about 8:30 am and what had happened was the lions and their cubs had been feeding on an unfortunate impala right opposite chalet 1 (as I slept!!!) when a lazy crocodile decided to waddle up and stir some sh*t hoping to get a piece of the action. The lionesses were not having it, there are 3 of them adults and 4 young ones, the impala was hardly enough to go around as is. So while the kids were at a safe distance the other 2 must have wrestled with the crocs hind legs eventually breaking them while the larger/older female went for the jugular and ripped it open leaving the crocodile with a huge gash exposing tissue, veins, and air tubes. When we got to the scene the croc had gone comatose to preserve his energy, I thought he was doornail dead. While we went hunting for the lions who we found in the shade nearby vultures got wind of the story and immediately began to congregate. As I write they must now be in their hundreds shamelessly waiting for the croc to give up the ghost. Not wanting to be eaten alive the croc would occasionally raise his head and snarl at the vultures who were duly warned but not intimidated. They know its just a matter of time.

*This image is copyright of its original author

http://bush-kat.blogspot.com/2010/06/hell-hath-no-fury-like-lioness-with.html

Don't copy-paste or link images directly... They go defunct.

Download & upload here.

What do you mean I did not understand?

RE: Lion Predation - Rishi - 03-29-2020

(03-29-2020, 12:04 AM)AfricanLeo10 Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 11:30 PM)Rishi Wrote: Don't copy-paste or link images directly... They go defunct.

Download & upload here.

What do you mean I did not understand?

While postting an article here, open the images in new tab & download them. Then reupload here... Copy-paste only the text.

RE: Lion Predation - johnny rex - 03-29-2020

(03-27-2020, 04:19 AM)AfricanLeo10 Wrote: Lioness kill a crocodile to protect cubs

I was planning on sleeping in this morning when Kazembo woke me up. "Madam, Madam!" I shot up thinking, lodge is on fire, there is a riot and I am all alone, someone's drowned. no. "A crocodile has been killed by rion and George is taking car to go there!" " I'll be right there! " I yelled back as I flew out of my bed and into my tracksuit, at the door I paused and realized I was wearing my pink sleeping shirt, a practical come hither sign for any dangerous animals that might be keen for some animal on girl action. I ripped my shirt off, put on a brown earthy one in its place, grabbed my hat and camera (praying the battery wasn't flat) and flew outside where George was revving the ancient landcruiser. Kazembo stood by the laundry table folding a sheet in slow motion longingly staring at the vehicle. "Well are you coming???" and that's all it took to get him to join our impromptu game drive. It was about 8:30 am and what had happened was the lions and their cubs had been feeding on an unfortunate impala right opposite chalet 1 (as I slept!!!) when a lazy crocodile decided to waddle up and stir some sh*t hoping to get a piece of the action. The lionesses were not having it, there are 3 of them adults and 4 young ones, the impala was hardly enough to go around as is. So while the kids were at a safe distance the other 2 must have wrestled with the crocs hind legs eventually breaking them while the larger/older female went for the jugular and ripped it open leaving the crocodile with a huge gash exposing tissue, veins, and air tubes. When we got to the scene the croc had gone comatose to preserve his energy, I thought he was doornail dead. While we went hunting for the lions who we found in the shade nearby vultures got wind of the story and immediately began to congregate. As I write they must now be in their hundreds shamelessly waiting for the croc to give up the ghost. Not wanting to be eaten alive the croc would occasionally raise his head and snarl at the vultures who were duly warned but not intimidated. They know its just a matter of time.

http://bush-kat.blogspot.com/2010/06/hell-hath-no-fury-like-lioness-with.html

The croc was actually still alive after its neck got ripped apart, not sure what happened to the croc several hours later though.

RE: Lion Predation - AfricanLeo10 - 03-29-2020

Go to 0:32 and from that you can see the amazing frontal headlock done by the lioness and buffalo cow could not shake her off

RE: Lion Predation - bigcatlover - 03-29-2020

Predation on springbok

RE: Lion Predation - AfricanLeo10 - 03-30-2020

Two male lions badly mauled a bull rhino

"Lions take care to steer clear of rhinoceroses but a case is recorded of two male lions so badly mauling a fully -grown male rhinoceros at Amboseli that it had to be destroyed."

https://www.google.com/search?q=two+male+lions+badly+mauled+a+full+grown+male+rhino&sxsrf=ALeKk01hOPIQeO6SH761bmnXwRb5_RCCIQ:1585581891128&source=lnms&tbm=bks&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjt6IfrwMLoAhVRDOwKHaPdAh0Q_AUoAXoECAsQCQ&biw=1920&bih=969

RE: Lion Predation - Spalea - 04-02-2020

Shaaz Jung: " The end? In the wilderness, there is no end. Life is a journey and death is just another path. A day will come, when these paths meet, on an endless tapestry of life, weaved best by nature. I’ve witnessed many powerful moments in the wild, but none as strong as the bond between a mother and her young. Here’s a photograph of a giraffe protecting her calf against a pride of hungry lions. A single kick to the head is enough to kill a lion, but she must be careful not accidentally kick her calf instead. "

RE: Lion Predation - Lionsandme10 - 04-13-2020

Notes about the lion from, Predator-prey relationships among the larger mammals of the Kruger National Park

The author is U. de V. Pienaar

• As a rule lions and adult white rhinos show little interest in each other, but during October 1965 lions attacked a full-grown adult white rhino bull, recently introduced into Pretoriuskop section from Natal, and mauled it so severely that it had to be destroyed. Subsequently, lions also killed and devoured a very young white rhino calf near Gomondwane, in Crocodile Bridge section. These are the only instances, to date, of lions accosting white rhinoceri in the Kruger Park, but instances have been cited by observers such as Wahlberg and Taberer of lions attacking and killing full-grown black rhinos in East Africa. 
  • It is well-known that lions frequently prey on young and even adult hippopotami in areas where these beasts are particularly numerous. Thus, according to Bourliére (1955), young hippos, out grazing at night in the Parc National Albert, are among the lions' favourite victims in that area. Such instances are rare in the Kruger Park, and over the years only 6 cases have been recorded of lions successfully attacking hippos on dry land. Four of these were weak and emaciated animals which were caught along the Olifants River during a period of very severe drought.
  • Lower vertebrates are also occasional victims of lions, and of these tortoises and crocodiles are the most important. The latter sometimes dispute lion kills which have been made near water, and two cases have been recorded during recent years where crocodiles were killed in such battles and eaten by the lions. 
  • Many years ago, a lion in the Kruger Park bit in half a large python which attacked it, and ate a portion of the giant snake.
  • The lion is the dominant species in the predator hierarchy of the Kruger Park and often preys on lesser predators or will appropriate the carcases of prey killed by them. In old age or crippled condition they fall prey themselves to hyaenas and even wild dogs. Many cases have been recorded over the years of lions relieving leopards of their prey after these wily hunters have made a kill. Lions will even climb up the perpendicular trunks of trees to a surprising height in order to get at the carcases of animals which leopards have wedged in a forked branch. 
      https://koedoe.co.za/index.php/koedoe/article/view/753/836

There are two parts to this study so I will post from the second part

• In contrast to popular belief, observations in the Kruger Park prove that solitary adult male lions or groups of adult males frequently hunt their own prey, and are not dependant on the superior skill and agility of the lionesses in the pride. Full-grown bull giraffes and adult buffalo bulls are successfully pulled down on occasion by a single male lion.
  •  Although lions normally kill only sufficient prey to sustain themselves, and sizable remnants are left to the scavengers and vultures in the case of large prey animals, these predators (particularly young individuals in the pridel sometimes go beserk and kill several head of prey out of a herd. This is more often the case when the prey animals are in a weak and emaciated condition and offer little resistance. During the severe drought of 1964 a pride of lions wreaked havoc one night amongst a starving herd of buffalo in the Punda Milia area, and killed 5 adults and 10 young buffalo in the same spot. Some of these carcases were left quite untouched by the lions. On the other hand, lions will rarely abandon a carcase if they succeed in making a substantial kill during lean times (for the predators). Towards the end of the exceptional rainy season of 1966-67 carnivorous species were hard pressed and many young lions died from starvation. When a pride of 11 lions killed a big bull giraffe on the Doispane Road near Skukuza during this time, they fed on the carcase and defended it against scavengers for 8 days. 
     https://koedoe.co.za/index.php/koedoe/article/view/753/837

Photo of a lioness and a bull buffalo from the same study

RE: Lion Predation - bigcatlover - 04-13-2020

RE: Lion Predation - bigcatlover - 04-24-2020

RE: Lion Predation - TigrisLeo504 - 04-24-2020

Description
Wild boar (Sus Scrofa cristatus) killed by Indian lion straying from Gir National Park, Gujarat, India.

RE: Lion Predation - TigrisLeo504 - 04-25-2020

Indian lion hunting feats

Single male lion killed many oxen & buffaloes. Their necks were dislocated either by a sudden wrench or their own weight in falling forward with their heads pulled in under their chests

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/95250#page/308/mode/2up

Huge Indian buffalo killed by a solitary Indian lion

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/95328#page/888/mode/2up

Young male lion kills a buffalo easily

Anyway here is a very impressive lion predation account

Account from Mark C Ross's book, Predator Life and Death in the African Bush

Mark C Ross

A single male lion killed young elephant. Ross estimated this elephant to be 2 tons. Even if it wasnt 2 tons it is definately closed to it

"This male killed this elephant entirely on its own, an impressive and extremely rare feat of daring. It will be difficult for him to break into the tough hide, however. In almost all encounters between elephants and lions, lions will walk the other way"

https://archive.org/details/predatorlifedeat0000ross/page/144/mode/2up

RE: Lion Predation - Rishi - 04-25-2020

(04-25-2020, 02:56 PM)TigrisLeo504 Wrote:

That's ok. PM will be active after you've made your 1st 10 posts. Just try to provide photo credits if possible.