WildFact
Lion Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lion Predation (/topic-lion-predation)

RE: Lion pictures and videos - vinodkumarn - 09-18-2017

Lioness Killing Zebra @Masai Mara
Credits: michael.laubscher

[attachment=1019]

RE: Lion pictures and videos - vinodkumarn - 09-21-2017

I think i can announce this to the world now !
Im very proud, ive been,
HIGHLY HONOURED, in the Natures Best Photography Africa awards
With my photograph
Girl Power – Andy Howe
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Canon EOS 1D Mk IV, 280mm, ISO 1600, Aperture f8, Shutter Speed 1/2500s, EV 0.00

Credits:  Andy Howe

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Lion pictures and videos - Spalea - 09-21-2017

@vinodkumarn 

About #894: only one word bravo ! Fantastic photo !

RE: Lion Predation - Tshokwane - 09-25-2017

Credits to Bushtops Camps.

On our game drive in the Mara yesterday we came across two male lions and a lioness with her two cubs watching a big herd of buffalo. We waited and observed them for two hours after which the lions decided to go for it. 

Beautifully captured by Peter, head ranger at Mara Bushtops.

RE: Lion pictures and videos - Garfield - 09-27-2017

You guys see this, holy molly, can we say lion the hunter.   lion runs head into a heard of buffalo, blocks the buffalo from stomping on it with its hind leg, and then crawls up underneath to the front and grabs the throat.  The lion keeps putting its front arm out and legs to block the buffalo's legs from stomping it.

RE: Lion pictures and videos - Rishi - 09-27-2017

(09-27-2017, 10:09 AM)Garfield Wrote:

You guys see this, holy molly, can we say lion the hunter.   lion runs head into a heard of buffalo, blocks the buffalo from stomping on it with its hind leg, and then crawls up underneath to the front and grabs the throat.

Holyshit! That's one daredevil lion... That buffalo weighs atleast 600kgs & what he did was very risky.
But he seems to be an experienced who knew what he was doing.

Nice find.  Like

Bro yeah, that was sick, make sure to blow up the video full size when watching, for some reason it got flattened when I inserted it.

One of the most amazin lion killing buffalo vids Ive ever seen.  Theres some more out there as well with single lions killing adult buffalo.

Heres one where the male is hunting with the lioness, the male jumps at the buffalo and knocks it over on the first try. 

Young lion knock over buffalo on his own, other lions help to finish it off.  Some really thick young lions in this vid.

RE: Lion pictures and videos - chaos - 09-27-2017

(09-27-2017, 10:29 AM)Garfield Wrote: Bro yeah, that was sick, make sure to blow up the video full size when watching, for some reason it got flattened when I inserted it.

One of the most amazin lion killing buffalo vids Ive ever seen.  Theres some more out there as well with single lions killing adult buffalo.

Heres one where the male is hunting with the lioness, the male jumps at the buffalo and knocks it over on the first try. 

Young lion knock over buffalo on his own, other lions help to finish it off.  Some really thick young lions in this vid.

Judging by the terrain and mountainous backdground, these may be crater lions. The males are quite powerful/healthy looking.

RE: Lion pictures and videos - vinodkumarn - 09-27-2017

(09-27-2017, 10:16 AM)Rishi Wrote:

You guys see this, holy molly, can we say lion the hunter.   lion runs head into a heard of buffalo, blocks the buffalo from stomping on it with its hind leg, and then crawls up underneath to the front and grabs the throat.

Holyshit! That's one daredevil lion... That buffalo weighs atleast 600kgs & what he did was very risky.

Nice find.  Like

He is such a Daredevil.. I agree completely!
His name is Skorro, one of the Thanda Impi males... (They are 2 and of normal size, but able to defend their prides from a coilation of 5 Huge males.. )
To know more about the coilation or that lion follow Lions of Timbavati thread.

RE: Lion pictures and videos - stronghold - 09-27-2017

Skorro Thanda Impi is a beast, I read when Girrafe/Avoca coalition came to their territory. He left them chase him to divert them. He even injured one of them in one occassion. Thanda Impi story is really interesting.

RE: Lion pictures and videos - vinodkumarn - 09-27-2017

(09-27-2017, 08:37 PM)stronghold Wrote: Skorro Thanda Impi is a beast, I read when Girrafe/Avoca coalition came to their territory. He left them chase him to divert them. He even injured one of them in one occassion. Thanda Impi story is really interesting.

Yup, Both of them lost their coilation partners to Matimbas and became nomads.. and joined hands to form coilation
They are able to isolate Gurrafe/Avocas and wounding them on multiple ocassions

RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pckts - 09-27-2017

(09-27-2017, 10:16 AM)Rishi Wrote:

Nice find.  Like
Cape Cows usually aren't that large and this one in particular doesn't look like anything exceptional, easily with in a Male Lions capabilities. Cape's are also very cautious, probably the most skittish of the herbivores I saw in Africa and a herd has no way of knowing if this is a lone male or a coalition and/or pride, so their best option is to run, but they don't run far, they run for a bit then all turn around, what they do next is up to that particular scenario. But that being said, this lion is alone, so for this individual it seems he has a knack for hunting capes.

(09-27-2017, 06:07 PM)chaos Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 10:29 AM)Garfield Wrote: Bro yeah, that was sick, make sure to blow up the video full size when watching, for some reason it got flattened when I inserted it.

Judging by the terrain and mountainous backdground, these may be crater lions. The males are quite powerful/healthy looking.

Yeah um not sure, I saw another part to this show and it had Packer with his truck saying the Serengeti lion research project.  But it does look very Crater like, very posh green turf, sweet place to live.  An totally agree, the lions are some of thickest ive ever seen.

(09-27-2017, 08:44 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 08:37 PM)stronghold Wrote: Skorro Thanda Impi is a beast, I read when Girrafe/Avoca coalition came to their territory. He left them chase him to divert them. He even injured one of them in one occassion. Thanda Impi story is really interesting.

Yup, Both of them lost their coilation partners to Matimbas and became nomads.. and joined hands to form coilation
They are able to isolate Gurrafe/Avocas and wounding them on multiple ocassions

Well hes one tough smart lion thats fo sure.   I mean you can see em blocking the buffalos legs with his own arms.  An the lion because hes a fighter it causes him to be a bolder hunter, able to take on aggresive prey head on.  These buffalos are dangerous, I mean like they will stomp you out, and they'll chase you down and find you and kill you if they can.  Buffalo will kill lion cubs to.

RE: Lion Predation - epaiva - 11-24-2017

Time for the mane course: two Lions take down a huge Giraffe and devour it after a savage battle to the death
- Lions risked their lives by leaping onto the Giraffe with possibility of getting crushed by its hooves
- Michael Cohen took images at Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, shared by South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.