WildFact
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage (/topic-avoca-male-lions-and-their-male-lineage)

RE: Avoca male lions - Gijima - 12-18-2020

Exactly, a bigger mane just gives the illusion of size. That’s the whole purpose of a mane in the wild, and even humans constantly talk about bigger maned lions as being bigger and more “impressive”.... it tricks our eyes. No one ever talk about Mr T’s size Wink. As one ranger said to a poster here: “Very hard to tell [size] when they aren't shoulder to shoulder. ” [/size][size]

In terms of age, couldn’t it just be genetic that he grew his mane later in life? Even Mohawk Northern Avoca is starting to fill out nicely this year and I don’t think he’s the youngest. [/size]

RE: Avoca male lions - T I N O - 12-18-2020

(12-18-2020, 08:58 PM)Gijima Wrote: Exactly, a bigger mane just gives the illusion of size. That’s the whole purpose of a mane in the wild, and even humans constantly talk about bigger maned lions as being bigger and more “impressive”.... it tricks our eyes. No one ever talk about Mr T’s size Wink. As one ranger said to a poster here: “Very hard to tell  when they aren't shoulder to shoulder. ” 

In terms of age, couldn’t it just be genetic that he grew his mane later in life? Even Mohawk Northern Avoca is starting to fill out nicely this year and I don’t think he’s the youngest. 

Exactly, Mr T always was been known  as the smallest of the Mapogo. But Peter Rettig once say that was bigger than KT

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 12-18-2020

"In terms of age, couldn’t it just be genetic that he grew his mane later in life? Even Mohawk Northern Avoca is starting to fill out nicely this year and I don’t think he’s the youngest."

It do not think genes can influence mane to grow that way. I think it is either male has good genes regarding mane and then it is growing fast and is reaching impressive size, or worst and it is growing slower and is reaching less impresisve size.  Southern Avoca are in age their mane definielly shouldn't grow anymore or are they? Perhaps one of them is not quite as old as we think he is.

"Exactly, Mr T always was been known  as the smallest of the Mapogo. But Peter Rettig once say that was bigger than KT"

I would say Mr T was definitelly taller than Rasta and KT , similar i9n size to PB and a bit smaller than Dred and Mak.

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 12-18-2020

(12-18-2020, 09:33 PM)Potato Wrote: It do not think genes can influence mane to grow that way. I think it is either male has good genes regarding mane and then it is growing fast and is reaching impressive size, or worst and it is growing slower and is reaching less impresisve size.  Southern Avoca are in age their mane definielly shouldn't grow anymore or are they? Perhaps one of them is not quite as old as we think he is.

It depends of genetics, stress lvl, nutrition and many more factors.. 

Some lions have "peak" manes at 6 yrs old, some later on, at 7,8 + yrs..

On this example, S. Avocas where different in manes before, when they came here, but now that difference is not visible anymore..

(12-18-2020, 07:54 PM)Potato Wrote: Also mane of the one who used to be called smaller maned Avoca nicelly filed up and got darker. I do not think Southern Avocas are of same age. There have to be some good few months difference in age between them .

Why do you think so?

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 12-18-2020

(12-18-2020, 10:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 07:54 PM)Potato Wrote: Also mane of the one who used to be called smaller maned Avoca nicelly filed up and got darker. I do not think Southern Avocas are of same age. There have to be some good few months difference in age between them .

Why do you think so?

Base on how he developed his mane over years. It was always growing slow and fulled up very late. That is if he is indeed as old as we think he is.

(12-18-2020, 10:08 PM)Potato Wrote: Base on how he developed his mane over years. It was always growing slow and fulled up very late. That is if he is indeed as old as we think he is.

You cant judge lions age based of mane development, even if they are related.. 

And he didn't developed it very late, by 5.5-6 yrs of age his mane was already fulled and no mohawk was visible anymore..juse because his brother has better genes in mane, doesnt mean that he is older.. 

Here is photo of them from the pride, they are very close in age:

*This image is copyright of its original author

I actually think that that male might be little older then bigger mane male, based on nose pigment (which is the best indicator for lions age) and this photo..

RE: Avoca male lions - Tonpa - 12-18-2020

Were the avocas originally one group of males? or two groups of males that dispersed at different times?

RE: Avoca male lions - T I N O - 12-19-2020

The two Southern Avoca males seen today at Skukuza-Tshokwane road in the Kruger National Park 
Unexpectedly the two male Lions crossed the river, walked up the bank and right onto the road. 
We spent almost an hour with them today.
Skukuza-Tshokwane road
Image credits: Casper Badenhors

RE: Avoca male lions - Hairy tummy - 12-19-2020

Brilliant, them guys are looking great

RE: Avoca male lions - Gijima - 12-19-2020

“Battle Scarred King”- Dylan Pons Photography 

(Smaller Maned Southern Avoca)

RE: Avoca male lions - sundarbans - 12-19-2020

(12-18-2020, 11:00 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 10:08 PM)Potato Wrote: Base on how he developed his mane over years. It was always growing slow and fulled up very late. That is if he is indeed as old as we think he is.

You cant judge lions age based of mane development, even if they are related.. 

And he didn't developed it very late, by 5.5-6 yrs of age his mane was already fulled and no mohawk was visible anymore..juse because his brother has better genes in mane, doesnt mean that he is older.. 

Here is photo of them from the pride, they are very close in age:

I actually think that that male might be little older then bigger mane male, based on nose pigment (which is the best indicator for lions age) and this photo..

I am guessing the two circled in red are the Southern Avocas. Which one is the bigger maned male of the two?

And which is the lion circled in blue?

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 12-19-2020

(12-19-2020, 10:29 AM)sundarbans Wrote: I am guessing the two circled in red are the Southern Avocas. Which one is the bigger maned male of the two?

And which is the lion circled in blue?

Bigger maned is the male in front, blue one is Dark Mane N. Avoca.

RE: Avoca male lions - T I N O - 12-20-2020

The two Southern Avoca males on a lazy afternoon in the Kruger National Park
Image credit: Adam Cove

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 04:09 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The two Southern Avoca males on a lazy afternoon in the Kruger National Park
Image credit: Adam Cove

Old photo.