WildFact
Plains Camp males - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Plains Camp males (/topic-plains-camp-males)

RE: Plains Camp males - Tr1x24 - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 07:48 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The Mapogos are however not the best example as the coalitions is known for its unusual brutality and not the most stable one.

You can find fights like this in almost every coalition.

RE: Plains Camp males - Duco Ndona - 06-03-2024

Yes, fights happen. But there is no point in the lions to risk crippling their partner so one of them coming out of one limping shows that something more unusual is going on. 
This unusual thing could just be that some kind of accident occured and one of the lions put their paw in the wrong place or put more power in a bite than intended. 
But with reports like these it cannot be ruled out that a more serious fight with a third lion took place either.

Seeing the state the north is currently in and these two will be the ones most likely to be involved in a serious battle. I think its reasonable to keep an eye open for potential signs skirmishes that may have taken place. 
And these might be the type of signs we need to watch out for. 

That is all I am suggesting.

RE: Plains Camp males - Vengeous - 06-03-2024

(06-02-2024, 05:20 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(06-02-2024, 03:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Those injuries are from fights for mating rights, bigger maned males has those scars for a while now.

Yes, but this report says one of them is limping as well.  Could be just fighting each other, but lord... they are going to take each other out before other lions have the chance.

I’m usually cautious about speculation, but I’m starting to think they may have had a hand in the disappearance of the smaller-maned BDM. He was last seen running away from them in Singita, and then suddenly only his brother shows up in the north and is immediately submissive to the Talamati young male (Khanya). Meanwhile the smaller PCM has picked up a limp and Makhunga seems to have picked up a couple more facial scars. And according to the Elephant Plains report the two of them were last seen mating with an Nkuhuma Lioness on Tuesday, and they were relatively far apart, so clashing over mating rights seems a bit more unlikely… might be far-fetched but I have a sneaking suspicion they caught the BDM.

RE: Plains Camp males - Mapokser - 06-03-2024

My opinion is that it was likely a fight for mating rights, but we'll have to wait to see if the smaller BDM shows and how he'll look.

RE: Plains Camp males - Friarfan619 - 06-11-2024

Pc back in the west

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

RE: Plains Camp males - BA0701 - 06-11-2024

(06-11-2024, 02:58 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Pc back in the west

That buys Mohawk a brief reprieve, at least.

RE: Plains Camp males - Friarfan619 - 06-12-2024

Now back in ep

RE: Plains Camp males - T_Ferguson - 06-14-2024

Good.  Stay in the west.  Let the north sort itself out.

RE: Plains Camp males - T_Ferguson - 06-25-2024

I wouldn't put the Serengeti passed them....  LOL

RE: Plains Camp males - Hairy tummy - 06-25-2024

The duo are building quite a reputation, hopefully they can continue to be all time greats

RE: Plains Camp males - Rui Ferreira - 06-25-2024

(06-25-2024, 05:03 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I wouldn't put the Serengeti passed them....  LOL

At this point even the black rock males should worry lol 
Btw I know that Makunga is the name of the male with the scar above the eye, but I never heard the other Plains Camp male name , its always " Makunga and his smaller brother" or something like that , does he have a name ?

RE: Plains Camp males - GhostCatP-22 - 06-26-2024

(06-25-2024, 10:10 PM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:
(06-25-2024, 05:03 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I wouldn't put the Serengeti passed them....  LOL

Btw I know that Makunga is the name of the male with the scar above the eye, but I never heard the other Plains Camp male name , its always " Makunga and his smaller brother" or something like that , does he have a name ?
A long time ago I did read about both names for them..it was at least a year ago and I can’t remember if I saw the names here in wildfact or WildEarth YouTube comments. They were names about the same time at Dwizhala (dark) and Khanya(light) talamati 

There has been talks of naming certain lions…what languages are spoken in that area of South Africa? Would help us overseas people come up with potential names. I really like using native words as a name that describes a physical trait or a personality quirk.

RE: Plains Camp males - KM600 - 06-26-2024

(06-25-2024, 10:10 PM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:

I’ve heard of him referred to as ‘Shaka’ on a few occasions, certainly isn’t as official as Makhunga although I believe he was named by a ranger and not an actual property in Sabi Sands, so I don’t think that’s 100% official either. Never liked both names together cos of the obvious similarity to Mapogos.

RE: Plains Camp males - Mabingilane - 06-26-2024

That whole khanya name for the Talamati ym was picked by a fan on WildEarth. It caused issues because of the fact that it should be the reserves or those there who give them names. Rangers, guides etc.  
So i still refer to him as the Talamati male. Until an official name is given. 

As per the plains camp boys, i hope they give the shorter maned male a name soon. It is strange they only named Makhunga but forgot about his bro.

RE: Plains Camp males - GhostCatP-22 - 06-27-2024

(06-26-2024, 10:19 PM)Mabingilane Wrote: That whole khanya name for the Talamati ym was picked by a fan on WildEarth. It caused issues because of the fact that it should be the reserves or those there who give them names. Rangers, guides etc.  
So i still refer to him as the Talamati male. Until an official name is given. 

As per the plains camp boys, i hope they give the shorter maned male a name soon. It is strange they only named Makhunga but forgot about his bro.

The guides, especially wild earth guides don’t like picking and choosing names as they get a lot of hate toward themselves and their reserves. Cedric talked about how he was using nicknames and he got a lot of unnecessary hate.

I personally love Khanya the name as it works for his looks and personality and it’s from a native language.
I totally understand wanting to involve the guides.

Shaka would be a cool name for the other PC boy but I get that it’s really common name. Theres Zigzag and Shaka/scar Mbiri too. 
Calling him “smaller maned PC” boy is really dumb as that’s not worth who he is as an amazing creature.