WildFact
Plains Camp Males - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Plains Camp Males (/topic-plains-camp-males)

RE: Plains Camp males - Mapokser - 05-31-2024

The mighty Makhunga back in Singita. Weeks of fighting his brother for the NK females left his face full of scars.

RE: Plains Camp males - T I N O - 05-31-2024

(05-31-2024, 08:26 PM)Mapokser Wrote: The mighty Makhunga back in Singita. Weeks of fighting his brother for the NK females left his face full of scars.

Makhunga looking impressive and healthy as ever. What a gorgeous cat!

RE: Plains Camp males - NLAL11 - 05-31-2024

(05-31-2024, 08:26 PM)Mapokser Wrote: The mighty Makhunga back in Singita. Weeks of fighting his brother for the NK females left his face full of scars.

When he looked at the camera I felt he was saying: "You should see the other guy."

RE: Plains Camp males - Mwk85 - 06-02-2024

Both are back in the west. Either they fought with each other and one came away with a limp or something else happened to cause it.

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Plains Camp males - Duco Ndona - 06-02-2024

Offcource accidents happen and the limp could be unrelated, but its a bit more serious than what is normally seen after mating disputes.
It wonder if any other lions are going to show up wounded or not any more at all.

RE: Plains Camp males - Go131810 - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 02:08 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Offcource accidents happen and the limp could be unrelated, but its a bit more serious than what is normally seen after mating disputes.
It wonder if any other lions are going to show up wounded or not any more at all.

I am just remembering the Nukhuma male lion and the Tumbela male lion.

RE: Plains Camp males - Tr1x24 - 06-02-2024

Those injuries are from fights for mating rights, bigger maned males has those scars for a while now.

RE: Plains Camp males - T_Ferguson - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 03:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Those injuries are from fights for mating rights, bigger maned males has those scars for a while now.

Yes, but this report says one of them is limping as well.  Could be just fighting each other, but lord... they are going to take each other out before other lions have the chance.

Lions typically don't go as far as deliberately wounding their partners to the point of limping. They expect their help later in fights and hunts afteral.
But its always possible that in the scuffle he put his paw wrong or something.

RE: Plains Camp males - T_Ferguson - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 05:47 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Lions typically don't go as far as deliberately wounding their partners to the point of limping. They expect their help later in fights and hunts afteral.
But its always possible that in the scuffle he put his paw wrong or something.

Yeah, which is why I pointed out the limp.  I didn't really see the limp, so I mean.  The concern to me is, if it wasn't infighting.  Who did they catch?

Yes, lions can limp from fights for mating rights, which can be quite fierce.

As for "they would not injure themselves that bad" , this guy literally almost lost his eye to his brother, same as NK to Nhenha, same as Mfumo to Tinyo etc.

We have no context or info about the limp, which leg? Has he any scars around it? Etc.

Limp can be just as easy from hunting etc.

As in such fights the face typically gets swatted. Its pretty easy for them to get hurt in or near the eyes by accident.
For a limp, the attacking animal needs to put more deliberate effort into achieving that goal than typically happens in those types of fights.

(06-02-2024, 07:08 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: For a limp, the attacking animal needs to put more deliberate effort into achieving that goal than typically happens in those types of fights.

Yea, like bite his pawns/legs which is trying to cut his eyes out.

Remember MrT vs Pretty Boy fight: 

Example of both males biting each others on legs, obiviously thats not "full force" bite, but it is enough to produce slight temporary limps, as both males where limping on front legs after this fight.

This kind of stuff happens and are pretty much normal in fights for mating rights, especially limps on front legs.

The Mapogos are however not the best example as the coalitions is known for its unusual brutality and not the most stable one.

RE: Plains Camp males - RookiePundit - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 03:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Those injuries are from fights for mating rights, bigger maned males has those scars for a while now.

Seems like there is few new ones as well though.