WildFact
Nkhulu males - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Nkhulu males (/topic-nkhulu-males)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Nkhulu males - Ngonya - 09-11-2024

Nkhulu males at Tinga last week

RE: Nkhulu males - Ngonya - 09-11-2024

Nkhulu x Sand River
MALAMALA GAME RESERVE | GAME REPORT | August -2024

THE SAND RIVER PRIDE = 6
  • 2 ADULT FEMALES ± 6 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • 1 ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 7 MONTHS
  • 1 SUB-ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 0 MONTHS
  • 2 SUB-ADULT FEMALES 3 YEARS 0 MONTHS
SOUTHERN CHARLESTON

(7 sightings)
"Five lionesses were with four Nkuhlu males in the Sand River, at Charleston Rock on the 4th. Later that day, they killed a nyala at Tjellahanga Pans. On the 8th, four lionesses were at Flat Rocks and at Island Crossing the next day. Five lionesses were at Rocky Crossing on the 20th. On the 24th, they killed an impala with two Nkuhlu males at Calabash Crossing. One lioness was with four Nkuhlu males along Ingwe Donga on the 25th, while two other lionesses were on the closer to KK Pans."

THE NKUHLU MALES = 6
  • 2 ADULT MALES ± 6 YEARS 0 MONTHS
  • 4 ADULT MALES ±5 YEARS 0 MONTHS
CHARELSTON
First encountered on Mala Mala Game Reserve in 2022
(8 sightings)
"We will be introducing the Nkuhlu male coalition to the main section of the game report, as they seem to have settled in as the dominant males in Charleston. On the 4th, four males were seen with members of the Sand River pride in the Sand River, west of Charleston Rock and killed a nyala at Tjellahanga Pans later that afternoon. Two males were in the Sand River at Ingwe Donga the next day. On the 8th, five males were at the confluence of the Sand River and the Tjellahanga River and four males were in the Sand River, south of Beaumont's Camp on the 16th. On the 21st, three of the males ventured northwards into Ndhzenga male territory and were roaring at Flockfield Camp, but the Ndhzenga males responding roar from the north sent the Nkuhlu males back south. On the 24th, two males were at Calabash Crossing with four Sand River lionesses and the next day, four of the males were with a single Sand River lioness at Ingwe Donga. On the 26th, on male was at F Bend Open Area."

RE: Nkhulu males - Mapokser - 09-12-2024

Interesting stuff on the Nkhulu, now they are recognized as resident males in MalaMala, with their own section.

Sightings of 4 and 5 of them together, as well as being listed as 6 males in total which could be "common sense" from them being 6 or MalaMala truly counted/ID 6 of them.

They also mention the sighting of them invading Ndhzenga territory roaring before retreating from their enemies roars.

Ngl, it's worrying to have 6 ( or at least 5 ) Nkhulus so close, the Kambula and Ntsevu cubs still need much more time.

Now having Gore or Ubuso to at least add their roars to their partners would have made a huge difference.

RE: Nkhulu males - Rui Ferreira - 09-12-2024

(09-11-2024, 11:51 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Nkhulu x Sand River
MALAMALA GAME RESERVE | GAME REPORT | August -2024

THE SAND RIVER PRIDE = 6
  • 2 ADULT FEMALES ± 6 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • 1 ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 7 MONTHS
  • 1 SUB-ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 0 MONTHS
  • 2 SUB-ADULT FEMALES 3 YEARS 0 MONTHS
SOUTHERN CHARLESTON

(7 sightings)
"Five lionesses were with four Nkuhlu males in the Sand River, at Charleston Rock on the 4th. Later that day, they killed a nyala at Tjellahanga Pans. On the 8th, four lionesses were at Flat Rocks and at Island Crossing the next day. Five lionesses were at Rocky Crossing on the 20th. On the 24th, they killed an impala with two Nkuhlu males at Calabash Crossing. One lioness was with four Nkuhlu males along Ingwe Donga on the 25th, while two other lionesses were on the closer to KK Pans."

THE NKUHLU MALES = 6
  • 2 ADULT MALES ± 6 YEARS 0 MONTHS
  • 4 ADULT MALES ±5 YEARS 0 MONTHS
CHARELSTON
First encountered on Mala Mala Game Reserve in 2022
(8 sightings)
"We will be introducing the Nkuhlu male coalition to the main section of the game report, as they seem to have settled in as the dominant males in Charleston. On the 4th, four males were seen with members of the Sand River pride in the Sand River, west of Charleston Rock and killed a nyala at Tjellahanga Pans later that afternoon. Two males were in the Sand River at Ingwe Donga the next day. On the 8th, five males were at the confluence of the Sand River and the Tjellahanga River and four males were in the Sand River, south of Beaumont's Camp on the 16th. On the 21st, three of the males ventured northwards into Ndhzenga male territory and were roaring at Flockfield Camp, but the Ndhzenga males responding roar from the north sent the Nkuhlu males back south. On the 24th, two males were at Calabash Crossing with four Sand River lionesses and the next day, four of the males were with a single Sand River lioness at Ingwe Donga. On the 26th, on male was at F Bend Open Area."
Its easy to forget they are still very young, some people expect to much of them, but some of them were barely 4 years old when they started to take over their first pride wich is already incredible in itself
They had some health problems but now things seem to be starting to take a new and better direction
Most of them are younger than the youngest Kambula male just to put into prespective, the majority of people who claim that they are not meeting the expectations, have in mind big coalitions like the Mapogos, Manjis, Birminghams etc....
But most of them ( including me) werent following the lions day by day like we are doing now, so it seems those legendary coalitions became what we know, from night to day
Of course we can see coalitions taking over prides and etc much quicker than what these 6 boys are doing, but the context of where they are and how they are is very important to take into cosideration 
But I gotta be sincere, I do find quite intriguing why they dont have cubs yet, they already had but lost it ( it happends) but since than I havent seen even other SR lionesses pregnant 
The health of most members dont explain that, because you have Smudge and Snip Tail who seem to be always better than their brothers
Its not like they are under a big stress, as far as I know the only coalition who enters their territory are the Gijimas, and lets be real Nkhulus asked for that
Interesting times ahead and Im sure this is one of those threads that are going to be like 300 pages by the time the last Nkhulu takes his last breath

RE: Nkhulu males - BA0701 - 09-12-2024

(09-12-2024, 02:49 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(09-12-2024, 01:35 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Posting for @Mapokser, the August MalaMala Report, borrowed from here:

https://malamala.com/monthly-game-reports/

This is my first time posting one of these reports, so my formatting seems off, sorry.

THE NKUHLU MALES = 6
2 ADULT MALES ± 6 YEARS 0 MONTHS
4 ADULT MALES ± 5 YEARS 0 MONTHS
CHARELSTON
First encountered on MalaMala Game Reserve in 2022
(8 sightings)

We will be introducing the Nkuhlu male coalition to the main section of the game report, as they seem
to have settled in as the dominant males in Charleston. On the 4th, four males were seen with members
of the Sand River pride in the Sand River, west of Charleston Rock and killed a nyala at Tjellahanga
Pans later that afternoon. Two males were in the Sand River at Ingwe Donga the next day. On the 8th,
five males were at the confluence of the Sand River and the Tjellahanga River and four males were in
the Sand River, south of Beaumont’s Camp on the 16th. On the 21st, three of the males ventured
northwards into Ndhzenga male territory and were roaring at Flockfield Camp, but the Ndhzenga
males responding roar from the north sent the Nkuhlu males back south. On the 24th, two males were
at Calabash Crossing with four Sand River lionesses and the next day, four of the males were with a
single Sand River lioness at Ingwe Donga. On the 26th, on male was at F Bend Open Area.
already posted here. Whats the point?

Got carried away, apparently, in trying to give Mapokser the assist he asked for.

RE: Nkhulu males - Mapokser - 09-12-2024

I don't think any Nkhulu is younger than the youngest Kambula.

The health issues makes them look younger than they really are, but before that they were always more impressive than the Kambulas... Of course, genes are a thing but I'm pretty sure they are all around the age of the 5 older Kambulas, roughly a year younger than the PCM.

RE: Nkhulu males - Ttimemarti - 09-12-2024

The only one that I thought was that young was #6 I thought he had probably just now turned 4 in a half

RE: Nkhulu males - Rui Ferreira - 09-12-2024

(09-12-2024, 06:46 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I don't think any Nkhulu is younger than the youngest Kambula.

The health issues makes them look younger than they really are, but before that they were always more impressive than the Kambulas... Of course, genes are a thing but I'm pretty sure they are all around the age of the 5 older Kambulas, roughly a year younger than the PCM.

I was guided by the MalaMala report who said 4 of them to be 5 years old and 0 months +-
I dont know if its exactly 0 months so lets give or take 1 month, 2 if you will
so lets say the 4 boys were born between July 2019 and november 2019 ( most likely from july to september)
K6 was born in may 2019 so that makes him still older than the 4
Again Im going from the MalaMala reports
In the other hand the 2 older are roughly the same age as K3, K4 and K5, if we go by the same report

RE: Nkhulu males - Tr1x24 - 09-12-2024

MalaMala is guessing the ages of lions who are not natal there pretty much by first apperance and how develop they are.

Nkhulus are born around late 2018 to early 2019 in various litters.

RE: Nkhulu males - Ngonya - 09-12-2024

Nkhulu male #6 at Kirkman's Kamp (he has a floppy ear by the looks of it)

*This image is copyright of its original author

by Josie Romer-Lee

Snip Tail Nkhulu #2 at Tengile

by Nomita Khanna

RE: Nkhulu males - Ngonya - 09-13-2024

September 1st:
Crooked Tail Nkhulu #5 mating with a Sand River female in Kirkman's Kamp

by @oursoulmap

September 6:
Nkhulu #3 with a not so-pretty limp

by @dbach12

RE: Nkhulu males - Rui Ferreira - 09-13-2024

(09-12-2024, 06:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: MalaMala is guessing the ages of lions who are not natal there pretty much by first apperance and how develop they are.

Nkhulus are born around late 2018 to early 2019 in various litters.

Noted
Thank you

RE: Nkhulu males - Ngonya - 09-15-2024

3 months since andbeyondkirkmanskamp posted Nkhulu male #4 latest picture that i know of, looking just fine. Unfortunately since then we had no photos or videos on him.
June 15th, #483

Hopefully he is still around since guides claim there are six Nkhulus accounted for, but still thats quite a long time without a trace of him especially when his five brothers are all often seen and pictured, even all together earlier this month. Can't help but be a little concerned.

Anyways here some quick throwback phots of the 4th Nkhulu male
October 15th, 2022 | by Bilco

June 11th, 2022 | by Bernard Dupont

RE: Nkhulu males - Ngonya - 09-17-2024

May 20th, by N'wavujaha Safari and Wildlife photography

Nkhulu male #4 was with two of his brothers near Skukuza Airport road

RE: Nkhulu males - Tr1x24 - 09-17-2024

(Yesterday, 12:54 AM)Ngonya Wrote: May 20th, by N'wavujaha Safari and Wildlife photography
Nkhulu male #4 was with two of his brothers near Skukuza Airport road

Yea he looked in bad condition back then, and without sightings since, he prob didnt made it..