WildFact
Lions of Manyeleti - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions of Manyeleti (/topic-lions-of-manyeleti)

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 09-05-2024

(09-05-2024, 04:56 AM)KM600 Wrote: It’s actually crazy how these boys have no interactions with the Nkuhumas too, it’s not like they just wander thru staying quiet.

In the north, these guys are hanging in the east (Nkorho, Torchwood, eastern Buffelshoek) while Nkuhumas lately are in the western portions (Arathusa, EP, Simbambili)

These 2 boys never passed west as far as Djuma, who is in the middle of north, so 2 parties dont traverse same area.

Kambulas are in the middle of north currently.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Lion1 - 09-05-2024

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - KM600 - 09-05-2024

(09-05-2024, 05:35 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-05-2024, 04:56 AM)KM600 Wrote: It’s actually crazy how these boys have no interactions with the Nkuhumas too, it’s not like they just wander thru staying quiet.

In the north, these guys are hanging in the east (Nkorho, Torchwood, eastern Buffelshoek) while Nkuhumas lately are in the western portions (Arathusa, EP, Simbambili)

These 2 boys never passed west as far as Djuma, who is in the middle of north, so 2 parties dont traverse same area.

Kambulas are in the middle of north currently.

Pretty sure they’ve been in the West too, mainly Arathusa and EP tho so you’d still expect some kind interaction.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 09-05-2024

(09-05-2024, 06:06 PM)KM600 Wrote: Pretty sure they’ve been in the West too, mainly Arathusa and EP tho so you’d still expect some kind interaction.

I dont think they where, rangers/guides from those lodges traverse whole north, so if they post something, it doesnt mean that sighting was on their property.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - afortich - 09-06-2024

Mbiris update 9.624

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 09-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 09:04 PM)afortich Wrote: Mbiris update 9.624

Came to post this, seems this is a follow up to the video I posted a couple of days ago, when unknown males, believed to be the Mbiris by the guide, were roaring nearby, and the females were looking around very intently. Now, we have a missing cub, and this female has fresh injuries on her back.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 09-07-2024

I wonder which lioness this is. Is it one of the sub adults? Would be good if they could give a bit more information on which members of the Mbiri pride we're seeing in the videos.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 09-07-2024

(09-06-2024, 09:09 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Came to post this, seems this is a follow up to the video I posted a couple of days ago, when unknown males, believed to be the Mbiris by the guide, were roaring nearby, and the females were looking around very intently. Now, we have a missing cub, and this female has fresh injuries on her back.

this was likely filmed about eight to ten days ago just before the reported incident of another clash with the Nharu/RRM.

since this video, a second cub has gone missing (likely killed ) and has left the pride with a single solo male cub from the younger litter.

They always do an excellent job

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 09-07-2024

(09-07-2024, 12:56 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:

this was likely filmed about eight to ten days ago just before the reported incident of another clash with the Nharu/RRM.

since this video, a second cub has gone missing (likely killed ) and has left the pride with a single solo male cub from the younger litter.

Ah, ok, thank you for that, my friend. I wish they would provide recorded dates with these, it would certainly make following along with these cat's stories a lot easier.

(09-07-2024, 02:09 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-07-2024, 12:56 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:

Ah, ok, thank you for that, my friend. I wish they would provide recorded dates with these, it would certainly make following along with these cat's stories a lot easier.

I agree buddy. The incident I mentioned is included in the video from the sabi sand channel I posted above. It is quite an excellent summary

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - MrLoesoe - 09-07-2024

Sad to hear a second cub also has been killed (likely). Quite a nasty bite on the lioness' her back.. I wonder what led to this. Could it be another Nharu / Red Road male attack? 

The guide mentioned it could be Mbiri males roaring in the background in the previous video. But I do not recall Mbiri males to be aggressive towards them when visiting the pride, and they occasionally visit them. On the other hand, the cubs' presence could change this.

Mbiri's really need new pride males to protect their cubs, lionesses and territory in general. This would also be good for genetic variety in the pride. Perhaps Mandevu can provide some short term protection but he will have to re-establish himself as territorial in the area, e.g. scent marking and actively patrolling. It's also been more than a few days since he and young Orpen male have been seen with the pride so I am not sure what the current status is. Uncertain times..

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - MrLoesoe - 09-13-2024

It's been weeks since a proper update on the Manyeleti lions so I have been looking online and found some photos of tourists in the Manyeleti of just a few days ago. First pic could be the Mbiri cub.. The description talks about only one cub that was seen with the pride so could very well be Mbiris. 

Second pic (scroll to the right once) shows two young males. Maybe someone can ID them. Is this the young Orpen male and the subadult (younger) Mbiri male, his half brother?

Third picture (scroll to the right twice), from a different account, describes seeing the "Narus" but I do not recall Narus having a cub, and I cannot ID the male as Red Road. Anyways, wanted to share it with you guys. Perhaps you know more.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 09-13-2024

Yeah it's the Orpen son with the Mbiri pride.

I hope his other cousin is alive, it's being a while since I've seen 2 male subs together, the Orpen aside.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 09-13-2024

(09-13-2024, 12:49 AM)MrLoesoe Wrote: It's been weeks since a proper update on the Manyeleti lions so I have been looking online and found some photos of tourists in the Manyeleti of just a few days ago. First pic could be the Mbiri cub.. The description talks about only one cub that was seen with the pride so could very well be Mbiris. 

Second pic (scroll to the right once) shows two young males. Maybe someone can ID them. Is this the young Orpen male and the subadult (younger) Mbiri male, his half brother?

Third picture (scroll to the right twice), from a different account, describes seeing the "Narus" but I do not recall Narus having a cub, and I cannot ID the male as Red Road. Anyways, wanted to share it with you guys. Perhaps you know more.

Wow, excellent efforts @MrLoesoe, great bit of detective work, my friend!

Speaking of the young Orpen Male, does anyone know what happened to the Skorro Orpen Male that was in SS, the one seen hanging with Tsalala, that got beat up by the SBDMs?