WildFact
Lions of Manyeleti - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions of Manyeleti (/topic-lions-of-manyeleti)

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Rui Ferreira - 08-29-2024

(08-28-2024, 11:44 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(08-28-2024, 11:38 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Yeah, RR and Nharu pride killed a Mbiri cub before Mandevu and the Orpen son chased him off.

Very sad for the cub ( possibly only 1 alive now? ) and for Ncila who's likely gone.

But man, the Matimba blood must run thick though the Orpen sub's veins, he's only 3,5yo and has already chased a legend like RR with Mandevu's help, that despite barely having a bond with his older cousin/half-brother and being apart from him for several months, they are far from a coalition. I hope we get to see good footage of the Orpen son with Mandevu to see how big he currently is.

Also, impressive by Mandevu who would likely be at low confidence levels after seemingly losing Ncila and having to possibly abandon his Kruger territory, we have seen before what happened when Mandevu tried his luck against RR alone.

r u sure that is w3hat happened to the cub?    I ask because the above Tinstswalo video says a cub is missing.....these videos are usially ten to two weeks behind.

so I am wondeirng if this is an "ADDITIONAL" cub that is now killed or this is the wildfree account double counting?    I cant find information where the killing of the cub is said anywhere but on his post.

This whole situation is very confusing, for all we know the cub could have returned between the time the video got recorded till now and now another or the same cub got caught by RR, anyway we will have to wait till an official head count and if its the same cub missing or not

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mabingilane - 08-29-2024

Which female had those 3 little cubs & when were they born?  I thought around April 2024

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 08-29-2024

Looks like Ncile is gone, such a sad story..

In most recent videos he looked in excellent condition, bigger and more impressive then Mandevu.

We obiviously dont know what happened, but if other males are responsible, Mongawanes are only candidates, as they where seen in same area and few times very near Tintswalos.

I think one of the last reports of Ncile was that he was near 1 of Mogawanes, few hunderd meters away.

But yea, a lot of things can happen.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 08-29-2024

@criollo2mil idk but there's a video of a single cub playing with Mandevu.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 08-29-2024

(08-29-2024, 03:16 AM)Mabingilane Wrote: Which female had those 3 little cubs & when were they born?  I thought around April 2024

I don’t recall any three cub litters.    Just one solo litter born (appx) Dec 23/Jan 2024?   and another  two cub litter born (appx) Feb/March 2024.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 08-29-2024

(08-29-2024, 03:39 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like Ncile is gone, such a sad story..

In most recent videos he looked in excellent condition, bigger and more impressive then Mandevu.

We obiviously dont know what happened, but if other males are responsible, Mongawanes are only candidates, as they where seen in same area and few times very near Tintswalos.

I think one of the last reports of Ncile was that he was near 1 of Mogawanes, few hunderd meters away.

But yea, a lot of things can happen.

It's kinda devastating. As you said, after everything he went through. I'll still hold out some hope that he shows up, but we have to be realistic.

When a young, healthy and impressive male entering his prime just disappears, and we don't know what happened, and probably never will know... It's definitely one of the more frustrating aspects of following these lions.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Cath2020 - 08-31-2024

(08-26-2024, 06:49 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-26-2024, 03:46 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: You don't have to explain why, as you are apt to do to in your own way quite often, as I take the words of guides/rangers over yours 95% of the time.  They are on the ground, working there, seeing the prides/coalitions/nomads on a daily basis.  In this case, I also believe it is true that there are three sons of the Imbali (S8) Male from that same-named pride that are his sons

I am not " doing my own way", I am just trying to provide correct info, supported by evidence, and years of following this lion.

Not sure how you think they are brothers, when theres footage of both groups in 2020, where Wonkey Eye is ~2 yrs old sub with his nomadic group, while his 2 younger Imbali partners are with imbali pride and S8, as few months old cubs.

I didnt meant to "disrespect" your opinion or info, but are you sure that your source has that info? They might not.

This is not 'merely' my opinion, but I asked officials and had a couple of positive responses from different areas that, in fact, yes, there are 3 Imbali sons, and that they are all the sons of the Imbali or S8 Male.  They might be mistaken, however when even one guide/ranger/lodge admin tells me one thing vs. what you tell me, I tend to take the formers' words most of the time, and especially if there is more than one source telling me.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 08-31-2024

(08-31-2024, 08:09 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(08-26-2024, 06:49 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-26-2024, 03:46 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: You don't have to explain why, as you are apt to do to in your own way quite often, as I take the words of guides/rangers over yours 95% of the time.  They are on the ground, working there, seeing the prides/coalitions/nomads on a daily basis.  In this case, I also believe it is true that there are three sons of the Imbali (S8) Male from that same-named pride that are his sons

I am not " doing my own way", I am just trying to provide correct info, supported by evidence, and years of following this lion.

Not sure how you think they are brothers, when theres footage of both groups in 2020, where Wonkey Eye is ~2 yrs old sub with his nomadic group, while his 2 younger Imbali partners are with imbali pride and S8, as few months old cubs.

I didnt meant to "disrespect" your opinion or info, but are you sure that your source has that info? They might not.

This is not 'merely' my opinion, but I asked officials and had a couple of positive responses from different areas that, in fact, yes, there are 3 Imbali sons, and that they are all the sons of the Imbali or S8 Male.  They might be mistaken, however when even one guide/ranger/lodge admin tells me one thing vs. what you tell me, I tend to take the formers' words most of the time, and especially if there is more than one source telling me.

Did you, really, need to bring this up again? We get it, you believe the guides over another member. Time to move on.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 09-04-2024

Not really sure what is happening, which males it is that are roaring, guide seems to believe it may well be the Mbiri males, but we see the Mbiri Pride, with some cubs, intently watching in the distance, as you can hear some males roaring nearby. The one female, that we see in the beginning with a couple of the cubs, she is a really big girl. Aren't one or more of the pride's females sisters of the two Mbiri Males?

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 09-05-2024

They are, yes, sisters to Mbiri males.

I remember one guide from Northern SS saying a Mbiri female was the largest lioness he had ever seen.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - KM600 - 09-05-2024

Such a shame RR doesn’t have a partner with the Kambulas now trying to settle down partly in Manyeleti and then a few nomads here and there, aswell as established males.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - afortich - 09-05-2024

Mbiri pride

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 09-05-2024

(09-05-2024, 04:09 AM)KM600 Wrote: Such a shame RR doesn’t have a partner with the Kambulas now trying to settle down partly in Manyeleti and then a few nomads here and there, aswell as established males.

These boys were always going to expand at some point. I forsee another clash with the Kambulas if they are both moving into the same area.

But just because they've been seen in the Manyeleti doesn't mean anything will happen. They get spotted fairly regularly in Arathusa and Elephant Plains - having moved all the way across Djuma - but never seem to bump into the Nkuhumas.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - KM600 - 09-05-2024

(09-05-2024, 04:51 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(09-05-2024, 04:09 AM)KM600 Wrote: Such a shame RR doesn’t have a partner with the Kambulas now trying to settle down partly in Manyeleti and then a few nomads here and there, aswell as established males.

These boys were always going to expand at some point. I forsee another clash with the Kambulas if they are both moving into the same area.

But just because they've been seen in the Manyeleti doesn't mean anything will happen. They get spotted fairly regularly in Arathusa and Elephant Plains - having moved all the way across Djuma - but never seem to bump into the Nkuhumas.

I don’t think anything will happen long term either. It’s actually crazy how these boys have no interactions with the Nkuhumas too, it’s not like they just wander thru staying quiet. It would actually be interesting to see what’d happen during an interaction with Nkuhuma Pride, see if they’re as aggressive to the lionesses as their younger half brothers, although for Nkuhuma Prides sake, I hope it doesn’t happen.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 09-05-2024

(09-05-2024, 04:56 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(09-05-2024, 04:51 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:

It’s actually crazy how these boys have no interactions with the Nkuhumas too, it’s not like they just wander thru staying quiet.

I was also thinking the exact same thing. Of all the males spending time in the area at the moment, these boys would probably be the best bet for the Nkuhumas. Unlike the PC males, their territory is already directly adjacent. Though we don't know exactly how many lionesses they are already pride males of. They could have their hands (paws) full. But then why are they probing into Red Road's territory? Weird. Maybe they just don't like Djuma.