WildFact
Lions of Manyeleti - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions of Manyeleti (/topic-lions-of-manyeleti)

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 08-22-2024

(08-22-2024, 04:52 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Interersting Report posted to FB....its reportedly, Mandevu with the Young Mbiri Male son of Orpen.  

if true, I now worry....Where is Ncile?

I have not seen any report of Mandevu coming back into the old territory lately let alone seemingly taking his younger sibling with him.  

I can confirm its definitely Mandevu in the sighting but I cant quite be convinced its Junior The Second yet.  

maybe someone here has further clarity.

Quite strange, and worrisome, with Ncile's absence. Also, Mandevu has some pretty good swats on his face, he is looking kind of rough, a little dinged up, and like he could use a meal. Where were these pics taken?

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 08-22-2024

Ok, so it’s been confirmed

It was indeed the Orpen Son, Junior the second that was accompanying Mandevu.  

Both are together in the Mbiri Pride territory today

We’re still trying to confirm if they’ve been sighted with the cubs and the pride.    Awaiting response.  

But you’ll see definite facial scarring on Mandevu and no Ncila seen yet.  

Credit: Vestment

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 08-22-2024

(08-22-2024, 10:56 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Ok, so it’s been confirmed

It was indeed the Orpen Son, Junior the second that was accompanying Mandevu.  

Both are together in the Mbiri Pride territory today

We’re still trying to confirm if they’ve been sighted with the cubs and the pride.    Awaiting response.  

But you’ll see definite facial scarring on Mandevu and no Ncila seen yet.  

Credit:  Vestment

Very worrisome indeed. Yeah, I noted those gashes on Mandevu's face, earlier, those don't look like your run of the mill dinner table scratches.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - MrLoesoe - 08-22-2024

Very interesting. As I was reading this thread, I was hoping Mandevu and young Orpen male were sighted in Kruger (or somewhere else) and not in Mbiri territory. But seeing the post above that is not the case. 

Imo this is not good news for the Mbiri pride, is it? There is a chance now that Mandevu (together with young Orpen) stays with the Mbiris and may even feel dominant over that territory and the females (again). But the Mbiris need new male genetics. Both Mandevu and the Orpen male should ideally seek out other territories.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 08-22-2024

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - MrLoesoe - 08-22-2024

(08-22-2024, 11:21 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

More footage of Red Road's son (5:45), playfighting with (I think) his sister. At first glance I thought it was Red Road himself, just with a muddy/bloody face. But it's his son that is getting big. His face really looks like his father to me. He could be ready for nomadic life soon, but only time will tell.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 08-22-2024

So only 1 son left in the pride?

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 08-23-2024

(08-22-2024, 11:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: So only 1 son left in the pride?

yeah....been a few months where only one has been sighted.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - KM600 - 08-23-2024

I don’t keep up with lions and prides of Manyeleti as much as I wanted to, but didn’t Mbiri Pride have cubs that were said to be fathered by Mbiri males, most likely being Zigzag. Assuming these cubs are still alive, there’s a chance Mandevu won’t accept them. Will also be interesting to see how he treats the young Mbiri male as he’s taken on a more dominant role since Mandevu and Ncila left.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 01:01 AM)KM600 Wrote: I don’t keep up with lions and prides of Manyeleti as much as I wanted to, but didn’t Mbiri Pride have cubs that were said to be fathered by Mbiri males, most likely being Zigzag. Assuming these cubs are still alive, there’s a chance Mandevu won’t accept them. Will also be interesting to see how he treats the young Mbiri male as he’s taken on a more dominant role since Mandevu and Ncila left.

If I recall correctly, I believe, at the end of the day, the dates didn't line up, with when they mated and when the cubs arrived.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 08-23-2024

(08-22-2024, 10:12 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-22-2024, 04:52 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Interersting Report posted to FB....its reportedly, Mandevu with the Young Mbiri Male son of Orpen.  

if true, I now worry....Where is Ncile?

I have not seen any report of Mandevu coming back into the old territory lately let alone seemingly taking his younger sibling with him.  

I can confirm its definitely Mandevu in the sighting but I cant quite be convinced its Junior The Second yet.  

maybe someone here has further clarity.

Quite strange, and worrisome, with Ncile's absence. Also, Mandevu has some pretty good swats on his face, he is looking kind of rough, a little dinged up, and like he could use a meal. Where were these pics taken?

I also noticed the scars on Mandevu's face. Really, really hoping Ncile shows up.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 08-23-2024

@Tr1x24 Tintswalos were patrolling Skorro pride territory for months and were seen multiple times with the pride. There were no dominant males there since the Mbiris abandoned them a long time ago.

Mongawanes were never seen with the pride and have their own pride and cubs close by, first time a Mongawane was seen with anything Skorro related was a month or so ago when one of them was mating with just a single female.

So clearly the Tintswalos were fully dominant over the pride.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 08-23-2024

Kruger Sightings posted this, "2 male lions on H7, 2km east of Tamboti/Maroela access road near Orpen"

*This image is copyright of its original author

If I understand correctly, Mandevu returned to Manyeleti yesterday where he met up with the Orpen son, then he left back to H7 with the Orpen son with him.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - RookiePundit - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 01:01 AM)KM600 Wrote: I don’t keep up with lions and prides of Manyeleti as much as I wanted to, but didn’t Mbiri Pride have cubs that were said to be fathered by Mbiri males, most likely being Zigzag. Assuming these cubs are still alive, there’s a chance Mandevu won’t accept them. Will also be interesting to see how he treats the young Mbiri male as he’s taken on a more dominant role since Mandevu and Ncila left.

It probably doesn't add up timing wise but then again not all encounters are observed as sightings so it is always possible something might have happened without anyone's knowledge. AFAIK the father of any cubs was born into the Mbiri pride himself whoever it is, which is not great longterm.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 08-23-2024

video from Vestment of yestrday's sightings near the Mbiri Pride