WildFact
Lions of Manyeleti - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions of Manyeleti (/topic-lions-of-manyeleti)

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 08-08-2024

(08-08-2024, 06:14 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Our old Friend Wonky Eye has made a re-appearance.    Once again in the company of Imbali YMs, sons of S8.  

This is a relief after @Tonpa and I were afraid he had been lost after no sightings in a long time.  

9:05am
Pride of Lion
"3 male lions and 1 lioness including mating pair"
S36, at the Hamilton tented camp no entry sign (south Entrance)
Near Tshokwane
5/5
Tinged by Brian

I was just thinking of him the other day, and how I wished we would have learned what happened to him. Now we have, this is excellent news, and what a survivor that boy is.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - kobe8jf1234 - 08-08-2024

(08-08-2024, 06:48 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(08-08-2024, 06:40 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: @criollo2mil 

What about Leeubron males in this area? Nothing on them in a while ( tbf no updates for anyone in Mluwati Concession in a while, Skybed son?).

We were asking ourselves that exact question about the Leeubron .    Last sighting I recall was back in December.   Very little being shared from that region
last update was when the south avoca when missing there

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 08-08-2024

(08-08-2024, 07:02 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Wonky Eye IS the son of the S8 Male according to ranger reports.  There are 3 sons in that coalition.  All sons of of his. It would make total sense, plus he looks similar.

Wonkey Eye was already nomad in early 2020 in northern Sabi Sands, prob at the age of 2 - 2.5 yrs.

For what we know, S8 become pride male of Imbali pride in ~mid 2019.

Until that, Imbali pride males where Mluwati males, whos sons ( 3 on H1-2 and 2 in H10) are not that much older then Wonkey Eye (assuming WE was born around early 2018, while Imbalis thru 2017).

Wonkey Eyes origins is quite a mystery, he might look young, but he is over 6 yrs old now, while 2 S8 sons, his partners are 4.5, prob not yet 5.

Possibly he comes from some smaller pride who S8 controled, or mated with before he come to Imbali pride.

As S8 was seen in 2017 with older Mbiri north of Mluwati Concession, around Talamati Bushveld camp, its possibly they where territorial there.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Cath2020 - 08-10-2024

No, then this is not the 'same' Wonky Eye I'm talking about as this male is def. not over 6 by a long shot.  And yes, there are 3 Imbali Males, sons of the S8 Male.  He could be this much "mysterious" WE, or he could be another young male with a darker (cloudy) eye (not sure if WE is appropriate term by the looks of it....if he's the same male whose video clip I saw not long ago), but by multiple reports there are 3 Imbali sons.  They never say another additional male with two Imbala sons of the S8.  They all look similar and they all look around the same age.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 08-10-2024

(08-10-2024, 03:20 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: No, then this is not the 'same' Wonky Eye I'm talking about as this male is def. not over 6 by a long shot.  And yes, there are 3 Imbali Males, sons of the S8 Male.  He could be this much "mysterious" WE, or he could be another young male with a darker (cloudy) eye (not sure if WE is appropriate term by the looks of it....if he's the same male whose video clip I saw not long ago), but by multiple reports there are 3 Imbali sons.  They never say another additional male with two Imbala sons of the S8.  They all look similar and they all look around the same age.

There is only one WE, as far as I know, as he was named such by @Tonpa, on this board, and it just seemed to stick, and is the the male lion who may well be the most affable lion I have ever seen. I describe him as such, due to his penchant for eating meals with any and all other lions he came across, including dominant and territorial males. First time I recall seeing him was when he shared a meal with Dark Mane, another extremely affable male lion, out of nowhere, possibly back around 2020 to early 2021, and he was already over 2 at that time. He was also seen sharing a meal with S8, and a few different prides as well. The lion in the picture is indeed the same lion, he has always had a somewhat stagnate mane growth, likely the result of a very tough life, having seemingly been on his own until he joined these Imbali Males, and he is still with us today, making him an incredibly resilient male lion, a survivor without question.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 08-10-2024

(08-10-2024, 03:20 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: No, then this is not the 'same' Wonky Eye I'm talking about as this male is def. not over 6 by a long shot.  And yes, there are 3 Imbali Males, sons of the S8 Male.  He could be this much "mysterious" WE, or he could be another young male with a darker (cloudy) eye (not sure if WE is appropriate term by the looks of it....if he's the same male whose video clip I saw not long ago), but by multiple reports there are 3 Imbali sons.  They never say another additional male with two Imbala sons of the S8.  They all look similar and they all look around the same age.

No, this male joined 2 younger Imbali males not long ago. 

He initially was first seen with his sub sisters and brothers in Manyeleti in 2020.

But after that he was mostly seen alone, roaming this areas for years, joining occasionaly other lions, like DM, Ximhungwe, Talamatis, NKuhumas etc.

*This image is copyright of its original author

This is him in mid 2020, roughly at 2.5 yrs of age.

And this is him on the right in most recent sighting:

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Tr1x24 - 08-10-2024

Anyone has better id photo of this H1-2 Imbali male? (Mostly visible ears).

I need to see if this is the same male as this:

This 2nd male was seen with Wonky Eye and sub females on that sighting in Manyeleti in 2020.

Left ear cut matches, but need to see right ear of that Imbali male.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - NLAL11 - 08-10-2024

(08-10-2024, 04:34 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

There is only one WE, as far as I know, as he was named such by @Tonpa, on this board, and it just seemed to stick, and is the the male lion who may well be the most affable lion I have ever seen. I describe him as such, due to his penchant for eating meals with any and all other lions he came across, including dominant and territorial males. First time I recall seeing him was when he shared a meal with Dark Mane, another extremely affable male lion, out of nowhere, possibly back around 2020 to early 2021, and he was already over 2 at that time. He was also seen sharing a meal with S8, and a few different prides as well. The lion in the picture is indeed the same lion, he has always had a somewhat stagnate mane growth, likely the result of a very tough life, having seemingly been on his own until he joined these Imbali Males, and he is still with us today, making him an incredibly resilient male lion, a survivor without question.

WE is the very definition of survivor. Was really happy to see he's still with the two Imbali males. Hopefully this is his coalition now.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - criollo2mil - 08-12-2024

Not sure when taken since the two Tintswalos haven’t been seen in recent weeks. Would be great if we learn it’s new.

Ncila here

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mwk85 - 08-13-2024

Apparently RRM (Red Road Male) found three Monwana Pride young males feeding on a elephant carcass with the Nharu Pride two days ago and wasn't having any of it. It's said that he managed to run all three off.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Friarfan619 - 08-13-2024

Have red road sons been accounted for recently??

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - MrLoesoe - 08-13-2024

(08-13-2024, 08:03 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Apparently RRM (Red Road Male) found three Monwana Pride young males feeding on a elephant carcass with the Nharu Pride two days ago and wasn't having any of it. It's said that he managed to run all three off.

This story aligns well with the video below, showing Red Road and Nharu lionesses cornering a young male lion. Possibly Monwana young male, although, as a relatively new lion follower, I am not familiar with these nomadics.

The video only mentions one Monwana young male, but interestingly: at 0:16 you can see RRM chasing away a lion, and a few seconds later, around 0:19, it seems there is another young male lion. Looks like the young male instinctively wanted to help his fellow nomadic, but then decides it is better not to.

About RRM sons: I have not seen or read about them in quite some time. Possibly they are not with the pride anymore. If I remember correctly previous sons of RRM were also not allowed to stay with the pride for too long (ousted quite early or simply disappeared).

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - BA0701 - 08-13-2024

(08-13-2024, 08:03 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Apparently RRM (Red Road Male) found three Monwana Pride young males feeding on a elephant carcass with the Nharu Pride two days ago and wasn't having any of it. It's said that he managed to run all three off.

If I was a young male, I'd certainly flee for my life, if I saw RRM coming towards me. If he caught me, covering my face would be my top priority.

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - Mapokser - 08-13-2024

Mbiri pride cubs as well as Mbiri males showing up in the new Tintswalo Virtual Safari video:

RE: Lions of Manyeleti - MrLoesoe - 08-13-2024

(08-13-2024, 09:17 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Mbiri pride cubs as well as Mbiri males showing up in the new Tintswalo Virtual Safari video:

The cubs are looking a bit malnourished to me.

Also, I do not think ZigZag and Shaka met up with the Mbiri pride (the guide asked this to himself in the video), since the young Orpen male is still with the pride later in the video, happy and unbothered. I would think that if the Mbiri males encounter the Mbiri pride and the young Orpen male, they would be aggressive towards him. But of course this is speculative from my part. Young Orpen male's future remains highly interesting (and uncertain) though.