WildFact
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage (/topic-avoca-male-lions-and-their-male-lineage)

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 08-12-2024

Yea, its basically watching Mohawk and Blondie duo again.

But kinda shame that from potentially coalition of 5, then 4 not long ago, will turn into only 2 (if 3rd male doesnt show up and rejoin, but looks like less likely each day).

They can still be successfull tho.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Friarfan619 - 08-12-2024

I know it's not likely maybe 0% but my hope is  dwazila and lost nkuhuma joined forces

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Rui Ferreira - 08-12-2024

(08-12-2024, 12:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yea, its basically watching Mohawk and Blondie duo again.

But kinda shame that from potentially coalition of 5, then 4 not long ago, will turn into only 2 (if 3rd male doesnt show up and rejoin, but looks like less likely each day).

They are still nomads, its possible for them to join other/s males like for example their cousin the Plains Camp male, utopic scenario I know

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Go131810 - 08-12-2024

(08-12-2024, 12:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yea, its basically watching Mohawk and Blondie duo again.

I thought the missing male lion was blonde son?

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Go131810 - 08-12-2024

(08-12-2024, 12:38 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: I know it's not likely maybe 0% but my hope is  dwazila and lost nkuhuma joined forces

I was just thinking that. If the young Talamatie male lion had met again one more time with Mohawk I think they could have bonded. I always thought and wondered. When a coalition of male lions are an uneven number it was harder for them to bond. Two male lions will have a stronger bond with in a coalition; I had wondered there will be a male lion that will wonder. When Mohawks went back to Sabi Sands with out his sons I thought it was strange. I had thought something had had to happen for him to come back alone. It is strange how now one of the brothers has not been seen, I wonder if it is because of the bond. If the young Talamatie male lion had met them one more time with Mohawks I think they’re could have had been a chance for them to have a bond. It’s interesting though Mohawks had came back but the young Talamati male lion didn’t stay long after Mowhawk returned with the Nukhumas. The young Talamatie male lion is always moving. I think he is a good hunter and I think lions male lions are with partners choose partners that can help eachother.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Friarfan619 - 08-14-2024

Seems life he tolerates other males but then goes back solo. Wonder if the bond between him and Blondie keeps him from accepting new partner??

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 08-14-2024

(08-14-2024, 06:01 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Seems life he tolerates other males but then goes back solo. Wonder if the bond between him and Blondie keeps him from accepting new partner??

Some old nomadic males dont have "drive" to become territorial again, yet live rest of their lifes "retired", searching for food mostly and avoiding trouble.

So for them theres not exactly a need to find new partners.

Mohawk would stay with his sons if he wanted partners and to be territorial again.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - BA0701 - 08-14-2024

S Avoca, eating a warthog he'd caught earlier.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Duco Ndona - 08-14-2024

He probably would join with another lion if things work out. But right now he is just not able to stand his ground and keep up with younger healthier lions at all. 
So he goes alone.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 08-14-2024

(08-14-2024, 06:01 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Seems life he tolerates other males but then goes back solo. Wonder if the bond between him and Blondie keeps him from accepting new partner??

The BDM was seen with 2 Nkuhuma females just the other day so I don’t think they’ve stopped accompanying each other.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - peter - 08-15-2024

(08-14-2024, 07:56 PM)BA0701 Wrote: S Avoca, eating a warthog he'd caught earlier.

Large male. Anything known about the size of the Avoca males?

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Potato - 08-15-2024

(08-15-2024, 07:53 AM)peter Wrote: Large male. Anything known about the size of the Avoca males?
Mala Mala at one point described his full maned brother somewhat like "he is not the tallest male by any mean, but he has some very solid physic"

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - BA0701 - 08-15-2024

(08-15-2024, 07:53 AM)peter Wrote:
(08-14-2024, 07:56 PM)BA0701 Wrote: S Avoca, eating a warthog he'd caught earlier.

As @Potato mentioned, his brother was a very large and robust male, who disappeared a year and a half, to two years ago, after they were unseated by the young Nkhulu coalition. This boy returned back to their previous territory in southern Sabi Sands not long after, and has been hanging in the general vicinity of his old territory ever since. There has been some tough times for him, but in recent days he seems to be rebounding well, though it is doubtful he will become territorial again, as he seems more focused in just surviving at this point, and doing well, as the picture demonstrates.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - T_Ferguson - 08-15-2024

(08-15-2024, 07:31 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

As @Potato mentioned, his brother was a very large and robust male, who disappeared a year and a half, to two years ago, after they were unseated by the young Nkhulu coalition. This boy returned back to their previous territory in southern Sabi Sands not long after, and has been hanging in the general vicinity of his old territory ever since. There has been some tough times for him, but in recent days he seems to be rebounding well, though it is doubtful he will become territorial again, as he seems more focused in just surviving at this point, and doing well, as the picture demonstrates.

I often wonder if they read the room right on the Nkhulu takeover.  After the S. Avocas beat down Dreadlocks DeLaparte, the Nkhulu's sort of splintered and at least 4 of them were in very poor health and the other 2 seemed less than froggy.  I know there was the incident with the Southern Lioness that they killed and ate, but I still think the 2 S. Avoca's could have easily held them off for at least this long.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - BA0701 - 08-15-2024

(08-15-2024, 08:09 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(08-15-2024, 07:31 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

I often wonder if they read the room right on the Nkhulu takeover.  After the S. Avocas beat down Dreadlocks DeLaparte, the Nkhulu's sort of splintered and at least 4 of them were in very poor health and the other 2 seemed less than froggy.  I know there was the incident with the Southern Lioness that they killed and ate, but I still think the 2 S. Avoca's could have easily held them off for at least this long.

When 7 males lions are entering your territory, and you are aging a bit, I think it is impossible to say how one might respond. Look at how the aging Hairy Belly responded to the 3, very, skittish Tumbelas, it became a bloodless coupe. I think he could have driven them off as well, as he had already chased them a few times, and they did not seem interested in confronting the lone male, But, by that point, and at his advanced age, I just think HB knew he didn't have another battle in him, where in years past he'd have fought all three at the drop of a hat, especially with how skittish they were. That is a tremendous gamble to take, in light of the odds confronting you. Knowing what we know now, and can see, as humans, I do agree, they likely could have held them off for awhile longer, perhaps could even have dwindled their ranks a little more.