WildFact
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage (/topic-avoca-male-lions-and-their-male-lineage)

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Ttimemarti - 06-10-2024

I don’t know what happened to him but his disappearance doesn’t make sense to me

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - WildLeonis - 06-10-2024

(06-10-2024, 10:04 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(06-10-2024, 06:28 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Speaking of lineage is everyone given up on dm Jr???

Pretty sure a few of us still believe it’s possible he’s alive yet we gotta accept it for what it is. Until / unless he turns up, he’s gonna seem to have passed.

I guess it is possible that he’s found a life in KNP which is why we’ve not seen him. I know, unlikely. But still possible. 

Nice update to thread title. :) it’ll make it easier to keep up with the boys instead of having to bounce between the Nkuhuma and Talamatis threads. Speaking of which any word on S.Avocas boys? I believe they sired at least two that we know of.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Ttimemarti - 06-10-2024

(06-10-2024, 03:00 PM)WildLeonis Wrote:
(06-10-2024, 06:28 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Speaking of lineage is everyone given up on dm Jr???

Pretty sure a few of us still believe it’s possible he’s alive yet we gotta accept it for what it is. Until / unless he turns up, he’s gonna seem to have passed.

I guess it is possible that he’s found a life in KNP which is why we’ve not seen him. I know, unlikely. But still possible. 

Nice update to thread title. :) it’ll make it easier to keep up with the boys instead of having to bounce between the Nkuhuma and Talamatis threads. Speaking of which any word on S.Avocas boys? I believe they sired at least two that we know of.

The plains camp male is probably still with his female lol and I just saw a video of their 3 remaining sons of the sand river pride with their sister I believe the female and 1 or 2 of the males are not 3 years old yet or just turned 3

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-10-2024

Their oldest son the solo PCM has been mating with an unknown lioness around Skukuza, quite close to Nkuhuma boys. Their male offspring in the Sand River Pride is where it gets confusing, 3 males decided to leave with the presence of the Nkhulus and have been joined by one of their sisters however @Cath2020 sent in a video which looked like the Sand River Pride with a young subadult male. 

Assuming this is a different male from the 3 who are fully nomadic, there may be 4 alive that we know of. One could have somehow stuck with the pride despite his fathers having disappeared. I had also heard they had 2 male offspring with a NWS breakaway lioness that are still alive.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Go131810 - 06-10-2024

(06-10-2024, 03:59 PM)KM600 Wrote:

Their oldest son the solo PCM has been mating with an unknown lioness around Skukuza, quite close to Nkuhuma boys. Their male offspring in the Sand River Pride is where it gets confusing, 3 males decided to leave with the presence of the Nkhulus and have been joined by one of their sisters however @Cath2020 sent in a video which looked like the Sand River Pride with a young subadult male. 

Assuming this is a different male from the 3 who are fully nomadic, there may be 4 alive that we know of. One could have somehow stuck with the pride despite his fathers having disappeared. I had also heard they had 2 male offspring with a NWS breakaway lioness that are still alive.

That is interesting is that the pride where the Ndhzenga male lions were born? Has there been any videos of the young male lions? Is interesting so they were with this pride or the Southern Avoca male lions had more prides?

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 06-10-2024

(06-10-2024, 03:59 PM)KM600 Wrote:  I had also heard they had 2 male offspring with a NWS breakaway lioness that are still alive.

Nothing on them for years, or theres new info?

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Tr1x24 - 06-10-2024

(06-10-2024, 09:01 PM)Go131810 Wrote: That is interesting is that the pride where the Ndhzenga male lions were born? Has there been any videos of the young male lions? Is interesting so they were with this pride or the Southern Avoca male lions had more prides?

No, thats Ndhzengas lone sister, she had 2 cubs, back in 2021 i believe, but nothing on them since (as far as i know).

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - afortich - 06-10-2024

Mohawk, N. Avoca

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-10-2024

(06-10-2024, 10:50 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-10-2024, 03:59 PM)KM600 Wrote:  I had also heard they had 2 male offspring with a NWS breakaway lioness that are still alive.

Nothing on them for years, or theres new info?

Was just an error on my part, hadn’t checked up on the status of them but had remembered hearing about their existence.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Cath2020 - 06-11-2024

(06-10-2024, 10:51 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-10-2024, 09:01 PM)Go131810 Wrote: That is interesting is that the pride where the Ndhzenga male lions were born? Has there been any videos of the young male lions? Is interesting so they were with this pride or the Southern Avoca male lions had more prides?

No, thats Ndhzengas lone sister, she had 2 cubs, back in 2021 i believe, but nothing on them since (as far as i know).

They are alive as someone posted on FB a video clip of them very recently.  I assume the clip is from someone that got reliable information that these were the 2 sons of the N'was Breakaway Lioness and the lioness herself was in it.   I don't think the person filming would assume something like that without being at least semi-sure.  There were no close-ups of faces, unfortunately.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Cath2020 - 06-11-2024

(06-10-2024, 09:01 PM)Go131810 Wrote:
(06-10-2024, 03:59 PM)KM600 Wrote:

That is interesting is that the pride where the Ndhzenga male lions were born? Has there been any videos of the young male lions? Is interesting so they were with this pride or the Southern Avoca male lions had more prides?

Saw the video posted on a fan's page who is very active on fb with posting a lot of action.  She posts multiple videos each day, so she must either be there or knows one or more people who is often there.  The description of the post clearly stated that the video was of the N'was Breakaway Lioness and her 2 sons.  It could have been a miss ID....but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until it's proven otherwise.

She's the Breakaway Lioness because the Ndhzengas were nomadic and their sister had to go, too, so that means the males that took over her pride would not accept her.  I'm guessing they were 2-3 when they went on their own and she was too young to breed and had to leave with her bros.  She did not go deep into Sabi Sands with them, but stopped and kept herself around the southern border in Kruger.  She was seen with 2 young cubs a few years ago, but then there was nothing for a long time.  This does not mean they died or she did, which many seem to assume.   It's too bad there's scant information in that area.  Hardly any coverage is done and only on the sly, by chance.  You see how little information is known about the Sand River Pride, and they are actually much more often in Sabi Sands.  Even prides close to SS are rarely, if ever, filmed or known about.  So imagine how elusive a lone lioness and her cubs would be....

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-12-2024

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - KM600 - 06-12-2024

Old photo of Dzwihala. Slightly annoys me when they post old photos with most ppl believing it’s a recent sighting.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - NLAL11 - 06-12-2024

Mala Mala Game Report May 2024

THE SOUTHERN AVOCA MALE = 1
1 ADULT MALE ± 11 YEARS 3 MONTHS
NOMADIC
First encountered on MalaMala Game Reserve
(0 sightings) [should say 2 sightings?]

This old male was seen twice this month. On the 8th, he was in the Rock Drift Donga at the confluence
of the Sand River and he was west of Beaumont’s Camp on the 12th.

RE: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - T_Ferguson - 06-12-2024

Aren't the NkHuma's nieces?